Zeke and the NBA Draft

No report yet on how Zeke's workout with the Cavs went today. But the PD just posted a Terry Pluto piece entitled Akron Zips' Zeke Marshall out to end Mid-American Conference drought in NBA Draft 2013.

Nice article. The Mac used to be fun back when players were getting drafted. Hopefully the league can get back to that level.

Quote seems to reflect a lot of opinions in this very thread.

"You'd like him to be a better rebounder," said Dambrot. "But I think that will improve. I know he's on the bubble to be drafted. I just hope he goes to the right team where they can work with him -- because he can play in the league if he's coached and given time to develop."

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No report yet on how Zeke's workout with the Cavs went today.
Zeke went one on one with Randall Holt of Ken+. Source.

"It went very well," Holt, who went to Glenville High School, said in a release issued by Can't State. "They had us competing against each other in one-on-one situations and then three-on-three situations. We did some stationary shooting, as well as shooting on the move. I shot the ball well from 3 (point range) and feel good about how I performed."

Awesome George Thomas story on Zeke:

Former University of Akron center Zeke Marshall can point to the moment when he realized he’d made progress in his trek to land in the NBA.

“When I saw everyone on their knees in Phoenix and I wasn’t,” he said without hesitation.

Phoenix might feel like eons ago — actually it was just three weeks — but Marshall blew through a tour of NBA teams who wanted to see what services he could offer them if he were drafted in Thursday night’s NBA Draft. ...

Link.

@Sergeant Zip, it's funny that I've visited that website before without seeing that reasonably positive evaluation of Zeke. It seems to be a little at odds with the rest of the rankings on that site. They rank Zeke only #16 among all centers in the draft and #76 among all players. Zeke's name does not appear among the 60 players they have in their mock draft. We'll see what happens in a little over 24 hours.

Interesting post on Zips FB page today... All of Akron's NBA draft picks....

Marcel Boyce, 1987 6th Round, 8th pick, Phoenix

Joe Jakubick, 1984, 7th Round, 3rd Pick, Cleveland

Nate Barnett, 1975, 7th Round, 11th Pick, Houston

Len Paul, 1973, 11th Round, 6th Pick, Detroit

Bill Turner , 1967, 3rd Round, 8th Pick, San Francisco

Lou Arko, 1950, 7th Round, Syracuse

Joe Wahl, 1948, Philadelphia

Fritz Nagy, 1947, Pittsburgh

Obviously the draft being only 2 rounds now makes comparisons difficult. Anyone know of a list of all MAC picks ever taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft? I wonder what company Zeke could join tonight if drafted.

NBA Draft day, and final mock drafts are still appearing. Hoops Analyst ranks Zeke #47 in his final Top 60 list with the following comments:

Zeke Marshall, Akron: Marshall was the highest ranked prospect ever to attend Akron and finally lived up to the promise in his senior year. His .651 on 2-pointers and 5.1 B40 are the type of dominant numbers I like to see in a prospect. His weak rebounding and the fact that it took him until now to arrive as a prospect are negatives. I still see him being worthy of a round 2 pick, simply because inside defense is so important.

Two hours before the draft, The Big Man Blog divides the centers in the draft into five tiers:

Tier 1 – Potential franchise big men

Tier 2 – Probable starters with star potential

Tier 3 – Role-playing starters and solid backups

Tier 4 – Third stringers and bench fodder

Tier 5 – Not NBA caliber

Zeke is ranked in Tier 4 along with Colton Iverson, Marko Todorovic and DeWayne Dedmon -- not a glowing endorsement but better than not NBA caliber. As long as Zeke gets a fair chance to prove himself, the amateur talent evaluators can say anything they want. :)

Seven centers in the first 22 selections. There are only a few centers left ranked ahead of Zeke, and 38 draft picks to go.

I am surprised Jeff Withy is still available.

But on the other hand the guy from France is 7'2" and 7'9" wingspan. Amazing.

I still don't understand why Zeke was not invited to the combine. His stats were better than a number of guys who went in the first round.

So, 8 of the first 30 are centers, and some team is going to be called extremely smart and fortunate to draft Jeff Withey early in the second round. Zeke is going to start looking better and better to a lot of teams the closer they get to #60.

I can not believe Withey is still there, and teams are grabbing foreign players who never even played a year of college.

They must now something we don't.