Zeke and the NBA Draft

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@skip-zip, I thought I was pretty clear in my detailed evaluation of Zeke's performance in his first 8-minutes of Summer League play after carefully reviewing the video, and stand behind exactly what I said. I haven't yet had time to review video of his 13-minute performance in yesterday's game, but will do so sometime in the next 24 hours. Have you reviewed any of the video?

You totally missed the point. Read my post again. The fact that you saw that he wasn't playing should have been far more indicative of his situation than whatever your analysis might be of what you saw when he was playing.

@skip-zip, as you know, I made several comments earlier in this thread on the fact that it didn't look good that Zeke wasn't getting PT. The comments you question were limited to observation of Zeke's performance in his limited time on the floor. Both are part of the overall picture from which everyone can draw their own conclusions. I still haven't had time to watch video of his performance in the last game, but here's what one observer had to say:

This time it was different, though, as the team’s string of perimeter players carried the load offensively and Arnett Moultrie, Micheal Eric and Zeke Marshall protected the basket well down the stretch, too.

Virtually every pre-draft evaluation of Zeke said that his value in the NBA would be as a rim protector, and he was able to confirm this in his limited PT. Most pre-draft evaluations also stated that Zeke would be a project. The only question now is if he showed enough to convince a team that his upside merits investment in the project.

@skip-zip, as you know, I made several comments earlier in this thread on the fact that it didn't look good that Zeke wasn't getting PT. The comments you question were limited to observation of Zeke's performance in his limited time on the floor. Both are part of the overall picture from which everyone can draw their own conclusions. I still haven't had time to watch video of his performance in the last game, but here's what one observer had to say:

Virtually every pre-draft evaluation of Zeke said that his value in the NBA would be as a rim protector, and he was able to confirm this in his limited PT. Most pre-draft evaluations also stated that Zeke would be a project. The only question now is if he showed enough to convince a team that his upside merits investment in the project.

Dave,

Lets go back a few posts. You pointed out that his performance may not have helped/hurt him one way or another. And I'm merely pointing out that the fact that he is spending entire games, or most of games, on the bench, in a Summer League, is certainly a far greater indicator of where he stands right now among his peers than analyzing what he is doing in the few bench minutes that he is actually on the floor.

Well, after having finally watched Zeke's performance in the 76ers' final Summer League game, I saw something that I consider a greater indicator of where he stands right now than the total number of minutes the 76ers elected to play him. In the game where Zeke played the most minutes, the 76ers scored their only Summer League win. It was no coincidence, as Zeke's defensive performance had a lot to do with the win. It was classic Zeke shutdown defense from the time he entered the game. He altered shot after shot, and the Nets missed about the first 10 shots they tried to take over Zeke.

The key point about Zeke's performance is not how many minutes he played, but what he did to Mason Plumlee, the talented 6-11 center from Duke who was drafted #22 by the Nets, and how that affected the game's outcome. Prior to Zeke entering the game, Plumlee was having his way with the other 76ers bigs. He started off hot, and when Zeke entered the game with 4:14 left in the 2nd quarter, Plumlee had scored 13 points on 3-6 from the field and 7-8 free throws. No one could stop his shot without fouling him in the act of shooting, and the Nets held a 41-31 lead. From the time Zeke entered until the time he returned to the bench with 5:25 left in the 3rd quarter, Plumlee was 0-8 from the field and 0-0 free throws. Zeke blocked or altered every shot Plumlee took without sending him to the free throw line, and the 76ers pulled back even on the scoreboard. As soon as Zeke sat down, Plumlee hit his next shot. Zeke returned to the floor two more times after that, and his defense was instrumental in securing the 76er's victory.

On the offensive end, Zeke's first move to the bucket was rewarded by a perfect pass and layup while being fouled by Plumlee. His other three shots were all close but no cigar. As in the first game, one was an attempted tip-in of a missed shot in heavy traffic with lots of bumping bodies. The other two were medium range jump shots that both hit the top of the rim and just bounced off. His shooting was neither great nor awful. As in the previous game, he was more aggressive on rebounding but was not in good position to snag many. Also, as in the previous game, his speed up and down the court was more than adequate, and better than Plumlee's.

The question now is whether or not Zeke made enough of an impression as a rim protector in his limited minutes to attract further interest from the 76ers or another NBA team. Looking forward to getting an update from someone in the know as soon as something can be said here.

I didn't comment on the draft or Zeke's play in the Summer League. However, I think it is now clear that Zeke would not currently be an offensive threat in the NBA and this greatly diminishes his prospects. His defense is clearly NBA caliber, but how many NBA players typically only contribute at the defensive end of the court? I can think of three: Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo, and Dennis Rodman. These guys were all game changing / All-Star players based on their defensive merits in the NBA. Fair or not, I don't see Zeke getting a legit shot at the NBA until he dominates in Europe for a couple seasons. Good luck to the Big Guy!

Am I the only person on ZN.o who actually watched the full video broadcasts of Zeke's games? Zeke took all of five actual shots in Summer League play along with two very difficult tip-in attempts on his teammates' missed shots. All of those shots were within an inch or two of going in. It's not as if he was missing the rim and backboard, as some of the other Summer League players were doing, including some on free throws! It appeared to me that with more training and experience Zeke would be fully capable of scoring in the NBA at, say, a Tyson Chandler level (10 points per game).

Am I the only person on ZN.o who actually watched the full video broadcasts of Zeke's games? Zeke took all of five actual shots in Summer League play along with two very difficult tip-in attempts on his teammates' missed shots. All of those shots were within an inch or two of going in. It's not as if he was missing the rim and backboard, as some of the other Summer League players were doing, including some on free throws! It appeared to me that with more training and experience Zeke would be fully capable of scoring in the NBA at, say, a Tyson Chandler level (10 points per game).

As people of the older generation say DiG, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades (and to make a generational update, corn hole :D ). You could probably make the "close" or "potential" argument for most players in the Summer League...that's why they are there. The box score does not lie, and the competition was not full NBA caliber. Zeke was not offensively productive but played good defense...that's an objective conclusion. He's not yet NBA ready, but still has that potential. With hard work and passion, I hope he gets there. :cheers:

I'd agree with you guys about Zeke's shooting if he had taken and badly missed a statistically significant number of shots. Hypothetically, let's say that Zeke had 54 field goal attempts in Orlando and made only 13 for a 24% shooting percentage. Now that would cause a lot of people to question whether Zeke was capable of making it in the NBA. Actually, lottery pick (#9 draft choice) and projected future NBA star Trey Burke was the Summer League player who was 13-54 from the field, and everyone is saying it's no problem, he just had a couple of off shooting games.

I'd agree with you guys about Zeke's shooting if he had taken and badly missed a statistically significant number of shots. Hypothetically, let's say that Zeke had 54 field goal attempts in Orlando and made only 13 for a 24% shooting percentage. Now that would cause a lot of people to question whether Zeke was capable of making it in the NBA. Actually, lottery pick (#9 draft choice) and projected future NBA star Trey Burke was the Summer League player who was 13-54 from the field, and everyone is saying it's no problem, he just had a couple of off shooting games.

To add..how about Ben McClemore (5-24) in his first game, or even Dion Waiters who was first-team all rookie (1-11) in his first summer league game.

To add..how about Ben McClemore (5-24) in his first game, or even Dion Waiters who was first-team all rookie (1-11) in his first summer league game.

We're comparing Zeke to Ben McLemore, Trey Burke, and Dion Waiters now?

There's a reason those guys get a pass - track record.

Burke was the MVP of the NCAA Final Runner-Up. McLemore averaging 16 per night as a freshman for Kansas. Dion Waiters was an All-Rookie team selection in the NBA.

• 2 weeks later...

I never expected news about Zeke to absolutely fall off a cliff. But there is literally no news about him anywhere. I suppose this is related to regrouping after the NBA Summer League, and deciding where he goes from here. But it's still unsettling not to be able to find anything new about his situation anywhere.

I never expected news about Zeke to absolutely fall off a cliff. But there is literally no news about him anywhere. I suppose this is related to regrouping after the NBA Summer League, and deciding where he goes from here. But it's still unsettling not to be able to find anything new about his situation anywhere.

Might just be a down time for a lot of reasons. The season is over and all of the post draft activity has settled down. Throw in team executives and their families going on vacation after a long season and Europeans on their long summer holidays and you get slow news. I think people are just taking a break.

Zeke was at the JAR during the kid's basketball camp last week. That's about all I've got. :wave:

I saw Zeke at practice this morning. Sorry, I did not talk to him. Word I got is that he is working out on his own.

I take this as a positive sign. In the mean time, his replacements, Pat Forsythe and Isiah Johnson, (Big Dog

to his friends), have been crashing the glass and making mean in the paint. More than one wag has suggested that

Big Dog will bring down the glass sooner or later. I am hoping for sooner for the psych effect it would have.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot about this, but Zeke was on 1350 recently talking about where he's at with the process now. It sounded like NBA was offering camp invites, whereas contracts from Europe were pouring in.

So he didn't hit specifics, but it sounded like guarantees in Europe but not in the NBA. But his agent is still working so he could only say so much obviously.

At any rate, if he does wind up in Europe it's not that hard to find info on those teams now.

• 3 weeks later...