Kentucky / Ohio All-Star Game

jeaglet1

Aaron Jackson (Gahanna) and Isaiah Johnson (Walnut Hills) will be playing in the Kentucky / Ohio All-Star game Saturday at 7:30 in Crestview Hills, KY. The Ohio team looks pretty stacked. Other players include recruits to Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Cincinnati. The Kentucky team has one player going to UK and another to BC. Only two other MAC recuits in the game are going to OU.

http://www.oh-kyallstargame.com/4.html

Aaron Jackson (Gahanna) and Isaiah Johnson (Walnut Hills) will be playing in the Kentucky / Ohio All-Star game Saturday at 7:30 in Crestview Hills, KY. The Ohio team looks pretty stacked. Other players include recruits to Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Cincinnati. The Kentucky team has one player going to UK and another to BC. Only two other MAC recuits in the game are going to OU.

http://www.oh-kyallstargame.com/4.html

I looked at this roster. I question the level of talent that this all-star game attracts, based on the level of schools that several of these kids are going to.

I looked at this roster. I question the level of talent that this all-star game attracts, based on the level of schools that several of these kids are going to.

I don't follow many high school all-star games. I agree this looks more local, but here are the players who are ranked by ESPN. They're listed by state rank, with their overall position rank in parentheses. Still a chance to see how some future recruits end up doing.

Ohio

#4 Mark Donnal - Michigan (#24 PF)

#5 Maverick Morgan - Illinois (#15 C)

#6 Kevin Johnson - Cincinnati (#33 PG)

#10 Jack Gibbs - Davidson (#51 PG)

#13 Vito Brown - Wisconsin (#86 PF)

#16 Josh Davenport - Winthrop (#98 SG)

#21 Jalen Rhea - American (#136 SG)

Kentucky

#2 Darryl Hicks - Boston College (#54 SG)

#3 Dominique Hawkins - Kentucky (#52 PG)

#4 Antonio Campbell - Ohio (#76 PF)

#6 Omar Prewitt - William & Mary (#139 SF)

I think that when one considers the quality of playing talent signed by the Zips in the Rick McFadden era one can safely

conclude that the Zips coaching staff knows what they are doing. Neither Nick Harney or Demetrius Treadwell were "ranked".

You want to run them off the team?

How about Jake Kretzer and Reggie McAdams? Both finished high school as Player of the Year and people were whining

about recruiting two "unknowns".

I trust the coaches. Especially given that they are repeatedly bring in winners. When I look at other MAC web sites I do

not find fans bragging that they out did the Zips. No, in fact, they moan that they want to be like the Zips.

When is the last time you remember Coach Dambrot saying that he wants Akron to be like Cant? Long time ago.

And as an added bonus, if you checked the women's roster, Akron recruit Hannah Scipio is listed.

And a lot of people on Yappi.com are saying that Hannah Plybon, DIII co-player of the year, could potentially be the best player in the state of Ohio as in production at next level (That includes a Purdue recruit and another Maryland recruit).

They claim that Ohio State really missed out on her, too.

Plybon discussion

Article on Plybon's high school career at Orrville

Yes. Wouldn't you expect an Ohio vs. Kentucky All-Star game to have, primarily, the best players in Ohio and Kentucky?

Not necessarily. It's not realistic to think that you could put together a roster that consists of only the top 5% of the players in any state. The Ohio roster consists of mostly players from southern Ohio. I would imagine that the Kentucky roster is loaded with players from near the Ohio border.

As usual, different perspectives produce different impressions. Consider the following: First, only rarely do all of the top players invited to an all-star game accept the invitation due to various conflicts. Second, this game annually matches players mostly from those schools closer to the Ohio-Kentucky border. Finally, ESPN's list of top 10 HS players is only one of many different top 10 lists and not necessarily always the most accurate. Taking all of the above into consideration, it's actually fairly impressive to me that both the Ohio and Kentucky rosters have 4 of one service's list of top 10 players from each state.

Just to give you an idea of how different the HS player ranking services are, I ran the roster of Kentucky players for this game against the Rick Bolus High Potential Basketball Recruiting mid-season review of Kentucky's top senior prospects. By the Bolus rankings, the Kentucky roster has the numbers 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 19, 20 and 23 ranked HS seniors from the state of Kentucky. So Kentucky has 7 of the top 10 and 12 of the top 20 senior prospects on the roster. The Ohio roster is probably similar to that if anyone wants to take the time to run it from the Bolus site here.

I see there's a guy by the name of Harrison Blackledge from North Canton Hoover. I seemed to remember that former NFL and Penn State QB Todd Blackledge was from Canton and I thought he also went to that high school. I wonder if they are related.

He is Todd Blackledges oldest son. I sat with Todd at the recent Summit/Stark all star game and he told me Harrison is leaning towards joining Dan Fanelly at Wooster.

Not necessarily. It's not realistic to think that you could put together a roster that consists of only the top 5% of the players in any state. The Ohio roster consists of mostly players from southern Ohio. I would imagine that the Kentucky roster is loaded with players from near the Ohio border.

Which goes back my original opinion, which was that I was questioning the level of talent that this particular game attracts.

What level of talent do you think it should attract?

It's more inquisitive, rather than an argument. Which, unfortunately, happens often on here.

Let me turn the question around:

Why aren't the best players in Ohio participating in this game, instead of just a collection of players from Southern Ohio (as you state)? Is it the travel? Or, is the game simply an unattractive draw for the top players? Are other all-star games more appealing?

If you know anything, please share. I don't know anything about this game. But, I can clearly see that the list of participants is not a list of top recruits.

@skip-zip, you are correct that Ohio's roster for this game is clearly not as loaded with top 10 and top 20 recruits as Kentucky's, at least by the most recent Bolus rankings. I'm not sure that anyone without direct knowledge of this game and its history can do much more than speculate. I'll speculate that all-star games between adjacent states typically generate more interest close to the border between the two states. The game is played in Kentucky just south of Cincinnati. The gym it's held in seats only 1,200, so it's not a huge spectator event. Kentucky's main basketball hotbeds, the Louisville and Lexington metropolitan areas, are both reasonably close to the Ohio border. The Cleveland area and all of northern Ohio are pretty far removed from the Kentucky border. Many of Ohio's top HS senior recruits (Marc Loving, Mark Donnal, Nigel Hayes, etc.) are from northern Ohio. It may just be that the game is bigger for Kentucky than it is for Ohio. Maybe someone else will have more specific information.