Michigan game thread

LZIp

That's not a high standard. Every away game I've been to over the last few decades have been better experiences as a visiting fan than my trips to Cowlumbus. But, I was particularly surprised at the number of people who saw my shirt, and stopped us to tell us what a great game we played, and good luck. Class people.

Now I'll wait for our resident Suckeye Honks to appear and give us the standard OSWho "there's bad apples in every bunch" excuse.

Have you made your DR. appointment yet?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

love the strength and physicality of the OL and DL....mcray was a monster....the whole front 7 for that matter...

lt smith...wow!

pick in the end zone was KILLER...it was a 2nd down play...come away with even three there and the last drive becomes a FG to win...sigh

proud of the whole team....everyone expecting a 50-7 beat down...instead, the best game of the bowden era...it appears the talent upgrade ( big school transfers) are paying off

True. But the missed FG at the half hurt bad. Ints are often the result of good defense. Like the pick 6 by March.

The FG was self inflicted.

True. But the missed FG at the half hurt bad. Ints are often the result of good defense. Like the pick 6 by March.

The FG was self inflicted.

agreed....however redzone turnovers are killer...

btw....zips got alot of attention around 230-3pm....i got 5 texts from friends whom got word of the upset and tuned in....any attention like that is good...

agreed....however redzone turnovers are killer...

btw....zips got alot of attention around 230-3pm....i got 5 texts from friends whom got word of the upset and tuned in....any attention like that is good...

True, other boards were all over it cheering the Zips on. Most feel Akron was robbed by the officials.

Here are my Michigan game notes:

1) Akron's offensive line allowed no sacks - Grade B+

2) Pohl should be promoted from LT to LT General - Grade A

3) Akron had zero fumbles, running game good - Grade B+

4) Our receivers were in a zone - Grade A

5) All of Akron's defensive line two deep played great - Grade A

6) Linebackers were very very good - Grade A-

7) Secondary much improved - Grade B+

8) Special teams were effective despite missed long field goals - Grade B

9) Coaching Staff - Grade A

Spectacular game. I will be taking a red eye home at the end of this week just to see the Zips play the Ragin Cajun's this Saturday. Talked to some college age people about the new helmets and they love-em. Gumbo and some cold ones before the game this coming Saturday. Go Zips!

I had to fall back on the 24 hour rule before posting about the game.

First off I will apologize to LZip, and to the UA football program for that matter, because of my timid expectations ahead of this game. LZip, you called me out for my "loser" attitude and I have to admit that I was completely wrong and you were right. You can't play football that way and ever expect to turn around a program.

In regards to the controversial ending, it was difficult for those of us at the game to get a good view of the spot that was altered by 1/2 yard, resulting in a 3rd and goal instead of a 1st and goal. I have yet to watch the DVR of the game, but that is the aspect of which I have the greatest interest. If the Zips were screwed on that spot, then the final result gets an asterisk in my view. If the spot was good (after the review), I'm not as bothered by the rundown from 24 to 15 seconds because at 3rd and goal the Zips only had 2 plays left regardless of the time remaining. Of course, if the final spot was in error against the Zips, then both the rundown AND the spot had a big impact.

There were some other iffy calls, but other than the spot I don't think they were anything wildly different than we should expect as the road team. It wasn't like UM didn't have penalties called against them.

Here are some other random observations and comments:

1) KP16 - He has taken firm grip of the #1 job. On the drive back, I listened to ESPN radio on XM and when the crew were handing out "game balls" for early action across the country Trevor Matich gave one to KP16 for his performance and I could not agree more. Should he have thrown that end zone pass intended for Ritussa in the stands? Of course. But the guts and poise he showed in the 2nd half were as impressive as ANY Zip QB has ever displayed IMHO. I can't wait to see him perform when his wheels are 100%. Lee Adams saying he is "immobile" is the most ridiculous statement made regarding a player I have seen in a long time.

2) Tank - After a pretty good effort pass blocking against UCF, the O-Line struggled for much of the JMU game (Orelus getting hurt didn't help). Kudos to Tank for making the necessary adjustments and motivating this group to more than hold their own against a quality D-Line. It shouldn't be too surprising that it might take a few games for a group like this, several arriving only this summer, to gel. Numerous UM fans commented on the size and play of this bunch.

3) The WRs - It is SO comforting to see the upper classmen begin to show their stuff once again. It all started with D'Orazio. He was giving the Wolverines fits and eventually drew so much attention in the middle (HE has taken the role of Suel, not LT) that LT got consistent 1-on-1 coverage on the outside that he eventually beat several times. Dillard had a big gain on the final drive as well.

4) JM5 - I am mesmerized as much as anyone by Mizell (and he had a monster game), but what more can you say about the game Justin played? Without his 2nd INT that he took back for a score, we probably aren't discussing much about the 4th quarter.

5) The D-Line - Can you believe that performance was WITHOUT Nico? Hopefully he's back soon, because these guys will do nothing but improve as the season progresses. McCray drew (and beat) double teams all day long. I also have to give it up for Austin Bailey for his gutsy contributions with Nico out.

6) The Big House - The UM fans were very accommodating and many complimented the Zips. I have no idea why anyone would call it a "dump". Everything (structure, facilities, surroundings, etc.) looked perfectly acceptable to me. There was one thing that struck me. I had always heard the slope the stands was comparatively shallow to allow for the large capacity, much of it below ground level. Being there the 1st time, I did not think the slope was really all that shallow. It looked about the same as the Rubber Bowl.

7) The Aftermath - I agree with those who believe the positive effect of this good showing will not last unless the Zips parlay it into a victory against ULL this week. This goes for the fan base AND the players, who need (and deserve) an FBS win soon. Life isn't always fair, and you need to take advantage of momentum and opportunities when they occur. I think the Cajuns will probably be favored, so this will not be easy in the least. But if TB and staff can pick their spirits up, the Zips can win this game. Win this one and every other game on the remaining schedule is suddenly in play.

8) The Diehards - Kudos to all of the fans who made the trip to Ann Arbor. Sorry I couldn't keep up to date with text messages during the game, but my mind was occupied! As much as the last play felt like a punch in the gut, I am thankful I have been able to meet and travel with such a loyal bunch. You guys and gals are GREAT!!!! Go Zips!!!!

So proud of our guys....in the picture from the post above it actually appears as though he scored (knee not on the ground).

I love the Z on the helmet, in fact I love the whole white uniform and the new helmet, they looked sharp - the boys seem to like it too cause they played their hearts out.

I had to fall back on the 24 hour rule before posting about the game.

First off I will apologize to LZip, and to the UA football program for that matter, because of my timid expectations ahead of this game. LZip, you called me out for my "loser" attitude and I have to admit that I was completely wrong and you were right. You can't play football that way and ever expect to turn around a program.

In regards to the controversial ending, it was difficult for those of us at the game to get a good view of the spot that was altered by 1/2 yard, resulting in a 3rd and goal instead of a 1st and goal. I have yet to watch the DVR of the game, but that is the aspect of which I have the greatest interest. If the Zips were screwed on that spot, then the final result gets an asterisk in my view. If the spot was good (after the review), I'm not as bothered by the rundown from 24 to 15 seconds because at 3rd and goal the Zips only had 2 plays left regardless of the time remaining. Of course, if the final spot was in error against the Zips, then both the rundown AND the spot had a big impact.

There were some other iffy calls, but other than the spot I don't think they were anything wildly different than we should expect as the road team. It wasn't like UM didn't have penalties called against them.

Here are some other random observations and comments:

1) KP16 - He has taken firm grip of the #1 job. On the drive back, I listened to ESPN radio on XM and when the crew were handing out "game balls" for early action across the country Trevor Matich gave one to KP16 for his performance and I could not agree more. Should he have thrown that end zone pass intended for Ritussa in the stands? Of course. But the guts and poise he showed in the 2nd half were as impressive as ANY Zip QB has ever displayed IMHO. I can't wait to see him perform when his wheels are 100%. Lee Adams saying he is "immobile" is the most ridiculous statement made regarding a player I have seen in a long time.

2) Tank - After a pretty good effort pass blocking against UCF, the O-Line struggled for much of the JMU game (Orelus getting hurt didn't help). Kudos to Tank for making the necessary adjustments and motivating this group to more than hold their own against a quality D-Line. It shouldn't be too surprising that it might take a few games for a group like this, several arriving only this summer, to gel. Numerous UM fans commented on the size and play of this bunch.

3) The WRs - It is SO comforting to see the upper classmen begin to show their stuff once again. It all started with D'Orazio. He was giving the Wolverines fits and eventually drew so much attention in the middle (HE has taken the role of Suel, not LT) that LT got consistent 1-on-1 coverage on the outside that he eventually beat several times. Dillard had a big gain on the final drive as well.

4) JM5 - I am mesmerized as much as anyone by Mizell (and he had a monster game), but what more can you say about the game Justin played? Without his 2nd INT that he took back for a score, we probably aren't discussing much about the 4th quarter.

5) The D-Line - Can you believe that performance was WITHOUT Nico? Hopefully he's back soon, because these guys will do nothing but improve as the season progresses. McCray drew (and beat) double teams all day long. I also have to give it up for Austin Bailey for his gutsy contributions with Nico out.

6) The Big House - The UM fans were very accommodating and many complimented the Zips. I have no idea why anyone would call it a "dump". Everything (structure, facilities, surroundings, etc.) looked perfectly acceptable to me. There was one thing that struck me. I had always heard the slope the stands was comparatively shallow to allow for the large capacity, much of it below ground level. Being there the 1st time, I did not think the slope was really all that shallow. It looked about the same as the Rubber Bowl.

7) The Aftermath - I agree with those who believe the positive effect of this good showing will not last unless the Zips parlay it into a victory against ULL this week. This goes for the fan base AND the players, who need (and deserve) an FBS win soon. Life isn't always fair, and you need to take advantage of momentum and opportunities when they occur. I think the Cajuns will probably be favored, so this will not be easy in the least. But if TB and staff can pick their spirits up, the Zips can win this game. Win this one and every other game on the remaining schedule are suddenly in play.

8) The Diehards - Kudos to all of the fans who made the trip to Ann Arbor. Sorry I couldn't keep up to date with text messages during the game, but my mind was occupied! As much as the last play felt like a punch in the gut, I am thankful I have been able to meet and travel with such a loyal bunch. You guys and gals are GREAT!!!! Go Zips!!!!

Nice post.

I went to our County Fair today and saw all kinds of people I hadn't seen since last year's fair. Everybody wanted to talk about the game and I guess I'm just not quite ready to talk about it because I felt like I was punched in the gut every time somebody brought it up. What an outstanding effort and not at all flukey. Our guys went toe to toe for 60 minutes.

I certainly hope this difficult loss cranks up the intensity level another notch for ULL because we are going to need it. These Cajuns ain't no joke. Everybody get to the Info on Saturday and bring a friend or two with you.

I'm not one to blame refs. We had plenty of chances to win that game. Having said that if Akron had won after a questionable call, I guarantee the Big10 would be taking a long look at this game. What can be done now? Absolutely nothing. All we can do is move on and hope our Zips give us another performance to be proud of next week.

several ppl texted me after the game and they thought that ZD11 was held by mich30 on the last play...
D'Orozio catches that ball, and we win, 100,000+ phones go off in Michigan that say D'Orozio pushed off to get open.

I wish that is exactly what happened. :cry:

Went to the James Madison game.

Was just about to give up on Bowdenball.

Told someone at work on the following Monday I probably watched the only win the Zips get this season.

Flash forward one week.

:thumb::CK_brew: Feelin' good about the future again.

Lots of Ohio State fans at the sports bar saturday afternoon to watch the Cal/OSU game were talking about the Zips. Thought they should have won. Loved the game.

I've watched the replay of the 4th down pass several times and still can't tell what happened. It's clear D'Orozio fell, but why? I find it odd he would just fall on his own but I didn't see the Michigan player trip him. Or maybe the ball was just overthrown and he fell trying to stretch for the catch?

Lots of Ohio State fans at the sports bar saturday afternoon to watch the Cal/OSU game were talking about the Zips. Thought they should have won. Loved the game.

Michigan could have won by 50 and OSU fans would still say this.

Yes. It should be noted that it was overthrown because he had to hurry due to improper blitz protection. Michigan made a good defensive call.

Unfortunately, this is true. Let's not get into blaming the refs. We got close, but Michigan rose up. If Pohl gets what, one more second?, we win. It didn't happen. Let's hope we win Saturday and keep the momentum going.

Wisconsin could blame the refs too, but they should blame themselves for that game even being close.