Michigan game thread

LZIp

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I, too, think this game can be great step forward despite it being a loss. I will not go crazy and say that this necessarily means the program is on its way to great success for sure. I remember feeling this same way when the Zips lost by 3 points to then #10 Virginia Tech in 1996, and where has the Zips program been since then? Not where we all thought that night. Hopefully this "impressive loss" turns out to be a foothold for more future success than that one did.

Last year we went to SEC country and played Tennesse close up until the 4th quarter. Today we went to Big 10 country and had a chance to win as time expired. Next year I fully expect to beat either ACC foe Pitt or Big 10 Penn St.

Penn State will be drained by sanctions, and Pitt has repeatedly proven vulnerable to overlooking teams.

Last year we went to SEC country and played Tennesse close up until the 4th quarter. Today we went to Big 10 country and had a chance to win as time expired. Next year I fully expect to beat either ACC foe Pitt or Big 10 Penn St.

I see us winning both of those games potentially...4-0 going into MAC play next year? ;)

Anyone know why Hirschman didn't play today? (heard something about him injuring himself on a TD celebration. :P ) We sure could have used him with the other guy throwing the ball out of bounds so much. As far as the end goes, I don't know what the clock rule is -- were they supposed to add time after the replay? The announcers sounded surprised that they didn't give more time to Akron.

Anyone know why Hirschman didn't play today? (heard something about him injuring himself on a TD celebration. :P ) We sure could have used him with the other guy throwing the ball out of bounds so much.

Are we seriously going to throw Pohl under the bus after coming a yard away from the biggest win in program history and by far the upset of the college football season?

This is a loss this program can build on. Obviously the defense found SOMETHING today. Michigan's defense was bad coming in,but not that bad. Its a shame some of the play calling at crucial times could have been better. And,a couple of mistakes by Pohl were killers. But,to have a chance to win at the end better be something that team remembers the rest of the season.

I do wonder if we might see more of Hirschman(if healthy) if Pohl continues to make some questionable decisions. I am a Pohl fan. He can give them a chance to win most of the time. But, he does tend to lock in on receivers and does force the ball at times. And,he is not very mobile. The pick in the end zone was a good(bad) example. Whether it was the right play call is another matter. Steve French hated it! That ball should have been 10 rows in the stands.

Looks like some different people are going to play more. Pratt is looking better. I'd like to see Hundley and the kid from Ravenna more at RB also.

If a loss can be a positive,this is it. Gotta win next Saturday.

Man. I thought Michigan would roll us so I'm very, very happy with the way Akron played today.... but man that was painful. To get so close to the goal line and not finish it. Damn. Sports can provide some happy times, but it seems like they deliver a lot more pain.

Let's hope we can look back at this game as the day we turned the corner. This wasn't a fluke of being close, Akron hung in there. If we can roll off some MAC wins, recruits will take notice.

Also, Pohl seems to be growing each game. I'm bummed right now, but this could be a good year after all. Let's keep the momentum going next Saturday.

For what it's worth, every Michigan fan I spoke with after the game was impressed with our QB. They were also very impressed with our fans, and how classy they are.

Just like Tennessee last year, they were very friendly hosts. Not a single Michigan fan made a 'you lost' gesture until I hit a rest area on the turnpike, go figure.

Let's hope we can look back at this game as the day we turned the corner. This wasn't a fluke of being close, Akron hung in there. If we can roll off some MAC wins, recruits will take notice.

Next week's game will be one of the biggest of the Bowden era. Not because of who we play, but because of what it could mean for the program. We need to send a message. Everyone will be watching the Zips to see if this team is really different. If we stomp ULL it will create some real buzz about the Zips. If we lose, well then people will forget all about the Michigan game. I just want to see a big crowd on Saturday and people get excited about something at Infocision Stadium.

If anything I think today's game should send a message to NE Ohio to support this team. Is it really much to ask to get 30k out to watch them next week?

It shouldn't be, but it is.

If we had won, you might have gotten 20-25k to show up next week, but certainly not a sellout. Most would not be convinced it was anything else but an absolute fluke. The close call is only going to have minimal immediate effect.

However, if we take what we accomplished today, and turn it into an impressive win next Saturday, we can start to build something. A loss next Saturday, and the momentum gained by what we witnessed in Ann Arbor will have faded away.

Here's how the Detroit Free Press saw the game:

U-M's Lackluster Effort Raises Red Flags

It was a stunning, shocking, frustrating, dreadful embarrassment for the Wolverines. This sleepy, lackluster effort raised countless red flags and worries, while exposing all kinds of problems and concerns. The Wolverines were outplayed. Outworked. And outcoached.

Link

Next week's game will be one of the biggest of the Bowden era. Not because of who we play, but because of what it could mean for the program. We need to send a message. Everyone will be watching the Zips to see if this team is really different. If we stomp ULL it will create some real buzz about the Zips. If we lose, well then people will forget all about the Michigan game. I just want to see a big crowd on Saturday and people get excited about something at Infocision Stadium.

I believe it's HS Band day, so there will be a bit larger crowd at least until beginning of the 3rd quarter.

Hopefully there is good weather to also make one fewer excuse for not coming out for the game.

Here are several observations I made from being in Ann Arbor.

1. The Big House doesn't seem as big as it is, and it was not really that intimidating. Neyland was much more intimidating. I have a soft spot for old buildings, but it really felt empty despite being packed. I never once felt like I was at a fierce away game. In point of fact, Akron players were jumping on the side line and waving their arms to pump up the crowd as if it were an Akron crowd. Home field advantage almost had NO effect. :zzz:

2. Everyone was extremely nice to me, nicer to me than State Ohio fans. In fact, many of the UM fans were commenting about how they want to follow Akron the rest of the season, and are pulling for us to get out of the dumpster. Very classy stuff. For once in my 5-year college career, I don't feel embarrassed to be an Akron fan. :cheers:

3. This team looked like the real deal, almost as if the past two weeks were Vanilla offenses on purpose for this game to throw off Michigan's preparation. I saw many more of our "meat and potato" plays run effectively than in the last two games. I felt I was watching two equal teams. And statistically speaking, we beat/tied Michigan in almost every measurable way. :bow:

4. For the first time EVER in my college career, I actually found myself believing we could win a game. I walked into the stadium with no nervous or excited feeling, to having my adrenaline constantly pumping in anticipation for our offense to take the field. For once I found myself excited about scoring as opposed to nervous about interceptions. :D

5. CJ Mizell is a stud. Michigan fans around me noted it, I noted it, he needs to be starting. :gun:

6. Kyle Pohl proved he can lead this team, and Chisholm showed he can take a hit and move the ball. Zenel showed marked improvement. Perhaps they all read ZN? :lol:

7. LT Smith is the best WR we have at the moment. Traylor-Bennet will develop, but until he makes more of a Punch, Smith needs to fill Suel's role.

2. Everyone was extremely nice to me, nicer to me than State Ohio fans. In fact, many of the UM fans were commenting about how they want to follow Akron the rest of the season, and are pulling for us to get out of the dumpster. Very classy stuff.

That's not a high standard. Every away game I've been to over the last few decades have been better experiences as a visiting fan than my trips to Cowlumbus. But, I was particularly surprised at the number of people who saw my shirt, and stopped us to tell us what a great game we played, and good luck. Class people.

Now I'll wait for our resident Suckeye Honks to appear and give us the standard OSWho "there's bad apples in every bunch" excuse.

love the strength and physicality of the OL and DL....mcray was a monster....the whole front 7 for that matter...

lt smith...wow!

pick in the end zone was KILLER...it was a 2nd down play...come away with even three there and the last drive becomes a FG to win...sigh

proud of the whole team....everyone expecting a 50-7 beat down...instead, the best game of the bowden era...it appears the talent upgrade ( big school transfers) are paying off