Any new news about the football stadium?

Nope, it's hasn't gone anywhere. Still by the Airdock at the end of Derby Downs.....still crumbling....and empty, just like we're used to it. I would imagine the one update will be a sign stating that we were in the 2005 Motor City Bowl. Maybe a few more 2X8 pieces of wood replacing the fiberglass bleachers.OH, wait, I bet you were talking about the "New Stadium"......nope, nothing new.

My sources tell me that the $$$ are now in place,but there are still several pieces of property left to purchase. Until these are secured don't expect an anouncement. On of the hold outs is the Odd Corner. They seem to want to stay in the new retail that will be part of the project. Needless to say that isn't sitting well with the administration. Hopefully this will be resolved soon and things can start happening on the new stadium. :thumb:

This project is at least another year away from being announced. From what I have been told the property owners are holding strong and the whole process could land in court per domain issues and fights. One landowner can hold up the whole shooting match. The footprint that the stadium will be on also would mean the demolition of 2-3 residence halls, which means those needto be replaced before construction can begin. Too bad, but this project is not going to be finished until 2010 at the earliest because construction will take 2-3 years. Akron U is not going to building anything on the cheap and expensive projects take time to build.

My sources tell me that the $$$ are now in place,but there are still several pieces of property left to purchase. Until these are secured don't expect an anouncement. On of the hold outs is the Odd Corner. They seem to want  to stay in the new retail that will be part of the project.  Needless to say that isn't sitting well with the administration. Hopefully this will be resolved soon and things can start happening on the new stadium. :thumb:
Yeah, we wouldn't want to promote a store that could still be sell those jumping penis' :rofl:

My sources tell me that the $$$ are now in place,but there are still several pieces of property left to purchase. Until these are secured don't expect an anouncement. On of the hold outs is the Odd Corner. They seem to want  to stay in the new retail that will be part of the project.  Needless to say that isn't sitting well with the administration. Hopefully this will be resolved soon and things can start happening on the new stadium. :thumb:
Yeah, we wouldn't want to promote a store that could still be sell those jumping penis' :rofl:
Huh? How about a translation.

Huh? How about a translation.
Apparently the Odd Corner has cleaned up its act since the early 9o's. Guess you had to be there. They sold a wide variety of trinkets back in the day including wind-up/jumping penis' and vagina's; made popular in the movie Pump up the Volume (Christian Slater). Then again, this was the era of the Katherine Place and May Day riots. It was all fun and games til the beer ran out............. ;)

Apparently the Odd Corner has cleaned up its act since the early 9o's. Guess you had to be there. They sold a wide variety of trinkets back in the day including wind-up/jumping penis' and vagina's; made popular in the movie Pump up the Volume (Christian Slater). Then again, this was the era of the Katherine Place and May Day riots. It was all fun and games til the beer ran out............. ;)
When I hear "Odd Corner" I think of two words:Skull Bongskullpvcbg2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

In general, I'm kind of down after reading the column:I don't like the fact we're "inching" towards a new stadium. I wish we were "full steam ahead" towards building a new stadium.I don't like the fact that it's "less than 5 years away." That means it is all of 5 years away, and that means no groundbreaking for 3 years, at best.I do like the location.I don't see a problem with parking...it is a 30,000 student University, so there should be quite a few spaces to be had on a Saturday. On a Thursday night? THAT could be a problem.I hope Plusquellic doesn't do anything stupid like try and get limited parking on-campus so people have to walk from/through downtown to get to the stadium.How will the Rubber Bowl last another 5 years? Can you imagine how trashed the seats will be in 5 years? They're trashed as we speak.I don't like that "Informally we've talked to people to gauge the interest (in building a new stadium)." We need to be balls to the walls in pimping this thing to everyone and their brother in Summit County!! I was really hoping we had passed the point of informally bouncing ideas off the wall.What's the deal with acquiring land to build more soccer fields and football fields? Intramurals? I don't get it?This is the first time I've heard the soccer team possibly playing in the new stadium. I wonder how the team would feel about playing on field turf?25,000 seats, expandable to 30,000? Jesus...just make it 30,000!! The expandability should be to something like 45,000. The article pretty much jibes with what Mack inferred at the golf outing. The funding is not where it needs to be at this time. The Zips need another highly successful football campaign to get a clamor for the stadium going in the community. If the Zips went 4-8 this year (and "no" I don't see that happening) I can't see many new, wealthy sponsors busting down the doors to be associated with the program. If we build off of the success we had in 2005 and show that 20,000 fans will show up for games, the solicitation of donations will be a lot simpler. Should this be the case? Hell no. We flat-out need a new stadium, and we need it NOW. It doesn't matter what the team's 2006 record is...this is a decision that will affect the next 50 years of Akron football. Unfortunately, the team was out-of-sight-out-of-mind for two full decades and people have trouble believing we're not a f.lash in the pan. It doesn't help when the local paper won't send a reporter to freaking Athens Ohio to cover your away games either.

Yea, this article puts a damper on my Staduim hopes. I agree that parking shouldn't be a problem, they've been pouring money into parking decks so there should be enough parking in the area. I just hope the tailgating lot is near the stadium and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg. As far as the U buying property, I think the current administration is pissed at previous ones for not buying up some of the stadium land earlier. Now, they are probably just buying everything they can around the university when it comes up for sale. As for the the RB, I would imagine they will continue to rope off sections, slap down Quickcrete and wood too keep the place alive.