This Season's Best MAC Basketball Players

Dave in Green

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that Q was MAC 6th Man of the Year as a junior and Tree was MVP of the MAC tournament as a sophomore, they both belong in the top 10. Since the guys making the selections are actually fairly knowledgeable about the MAC, I'm somewhat optimistic that Q and Tree will get reasonable respect.

Oh,gee, golly. Let me guess who the number one player is. Barf, barf. What a load of crap. This whole load of crap is

coming from self promoting Buffalo. Gosh, I just wonder who the MAC's best player is.

Here is a clue: No matter how well Demetrius Treadwell plays he can not be the best player if all your voters

are Buffalo(is in Canada) people.

Gosh, this is so much fun guessing.

Let's see; no Zip player in the top five. Only two Akron players will be considered since Akron is scheduled to lose the

MAC tournament to mighty Toledo. Treadwell and key reserve Jake Kretzer are the only nominees. Forget Nick Harney

and Quincy Diggs.

Darn good thing they don't know about Big Dog, because some Zips fans don't like his nickname, and would be

upset if Isaiah "IKE" Johnson was selected. Heck, they'll probably red shirt him any way. You bet.

If there's ANYTHING this young Zips squad doesn't need going into this transition season (and what other kine season is there, anyway?), it's to have their individual egos stroked non-stop by an adoring media. I put Superstar McRae of Buffalo at #1. Put THAT on the bulletin board, gentlemen!

Based on past performance, Javon McCrea will be #1 going into the MAC season on most everyone's list. It's up to Q, Tree, Harney or any other Zips player to outperform McCrae and end up with a better ranking at the end of the season. It's not likely that any Zip will outscore him, as Coach Dambrot's teams feature balanced scoring. But they could outperform him in other areas, such as Tree outrebounding him. Harney has tons of unrealized potential. But irregular brilliance may not get him ranked very high in preseason all-star predictions. Ultimately, the most important thing is leading your team to the championship. Q, Tree, Harney and other Zips will have to consistently perform together at a high level to get that done.

Based on past performance, Javon McCrea will be #1 going into the MAC season on most everyone's list. It's up to Q, Tree, Harney or any other Zips player to outperform McCrae and end up with a better ranking at the end of the season. It's not likely that any Zip will outscore him, as Coach Dambrot's teams feature balanced scoring. But they could outperform him in other areas, such as Tree outrebounding him. Harney has tons of unrealized potential. But irregular brilliance may not get him ranked very high in preseason all-star predictions. Ultimately, the most important thing is leading your team to the championship. Q, Tree, Harney and other Zips will have to consistently perform together at a high level to get that done.

Well said. Who gives a sh** about preseason rankings.

A good showing in the NCAA Tourney would have helped.

I believe 2 Zips will be named but to be honest the list is worthless unless a player or us fans what our ego's stroked. I'd rather see a listing of best "team". Not most talented, most potential but most team oriented. I believe Akron dominated in the MAC because last year they WERE the most TEAM oriented......wanted wins more than stats.

That means we get at least three, because Tree is an obvious lock and Q has a better track record than Harney. He was after all 6th Man of the Year.

Three is the best we can hope for, and I wouldn't be surprised if two is the number. Q didn't play last year, and you know what they say. Out of sight, out of mind.

Somebody name me 17 MAC players you'd rather have than Nick Harney.

Heck, name me 7.

I can go 3 that are no brainers ahead of Harney:

Demetrius Treadwell

Rian Pearson

Javon McCrea

There are a handful of others that I can make the argument for:

Quincy Diggs

Majok Majok

Julius Brown

Shayne Whittington

Will Felder

Glenn Bryant

Will Regan

Jarod Oldham

Jesse Berry

As for 17 players, I have no idea. You've got to get into a lot of speculating about what some of the newcomers like Willis (OU), Weatherspoon (Toledo) or guys who have been backups but are going to see their role expand due to graduations like Taylor (OU), Skeete (Buffalo) might do to even get close to it.

Let's not forget that Harney has shown that he can be a high quality scorer in this league, but not a whole lot else. His defense is below average. He doesn't board the way you would expect a 6'8" guy with his athleticism to, and he tends to be pretty streaky when it comes to scoring. And let's not forget his terrible percentages from beyond the 3 point line.

As for Q, I sure hope he is on the list, and I think anyone who is well versed in the MAC would have him at least in the top-10, but I'm not holding my breath. Like I said, out of sight, out of mind. That might just work to our advantage a bit though.