Northwestern Player Unionize?

GP1

Skip, the NCAA approved additional autonomy for the power 5 conferences last year (note the MAC's comment at the very end of the linked story). If 75 of 345 D-I schools had objected, the measure would have been overridden. But only 27 filed objections (none from the MAC). The fear of the have-not schools was that if they had overridden the measure the power 5 conferences would have broken away from the NCAA.

Skip, the NCAA approved additional autonomy for the power 5 conferences last year (note the MAC's comment at the very end of the linked story). If 75 of 345 D-I schools had objected, the measure would have been overridden. But only 27 filed objections (none from the MAC). The fear of the have-not schools was that if they had overridden the measure the power 5 conferences would have broken away from the NCAA.

Thanks for the additional info., Dave.

It's sick. So, it appears that we all chose to be CONTROLLED over being DISCARDED. As if there was a choice.

So.....do we even have an option anymore when discussing whether to beat them or join them?

I'll go back to my model I have been presenting, which is becoming more of a reality every day.......we have to raise TONS more money to get ourselves into any position where we can be competitive at anything higher than a mid-major level.

All along......I have thought the schools who are able to pay the "stipends" to athletes would gain a HUGE edge. That is about to become a reality.

As the Power5 continue to make changes to govern themselves and make the NCAA irrelevant. In the meantime worrying about the Power5 breaking away was the reason the others didn't vote against it they are voting to be second class citizens going forward. The opportunity to compete is moving further and further by the way side. There used to be an argument for playing at the MAC level or riding the bench for the BigTen but now your scholarship is guaranteed at the BigTen why would you consider the MAC? I wonder if a guy like Ben Rothliesberger would have went to OSU if he had this to think about or if he still would have went to OU? Connor Krizanic just transferred from WR at Minnesota to QB at Ohio because he wants to play QB but I don't know if the current players were grandfathered into this deal. The us vs them argument is almost irrelevant now....with things like this we really don't play in the same conference any more. I'm waiting for them to vote to add 10 more scholarships for football.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for them to vote to add 10 more scholarships for football.

All that would do is increase the number of transfers dissatisfied with their time on a Power 5 team's bench.

Let them add 30 scholarships...who cares...they can still only play 11 on offense, and 11 on defense.

The only effect I see on a MAC school is we might not get as good a kicker recruit.

Oh crap. Now we won't be able to compete with Ohio State for recruits. What a gamechanger. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, you're talking about nearly 70 schools that will now be able to separate themselves from everyone else.

I'm figuring a cost somewhere in the 10 million dollar a year range for us to keep pace, with the addition of this "stipend". And that's just to keep our already-existing difference from the "power conferences" on equal footing to where it is now.

Unfortunately, you're talking about nearly 70 schools that will now be able to separate themselves from everyone else.

I'm figuring a cost somewhere in the 10 million dollar a year range for us to keep pace, with the addition of this "stipend". And that's just to keep our already-existing difference from the "power conferences" on equal footing to where it is now.

Shhhh...don't tell anyone....but those 70 schools have been separated from MAC schools for decades.shh.gif

Double shhhhh....don't tell anyone....but no MAC school will need to spend 10 million dollars to keep pace with schools in the Power 5.shh.gifshh.gif

Triple shhhh...don't tell anyone...but Akron football will survive just fine regardless of any Power 5 stipends.shh.gifshh.gifshh.gif

Shhhh...don't tell anyone....but those 70 schools have been separated from MAC schools for decades.shh.gif

Double shhhhh....don't tell anyone....but no MAC school will need to spend 10 million dollars to keep pace with schools in the Power 5.shh.gifshh.gif

Triple shhhh...don't tell anyone...but Akron football will survive just fine regardless of any Power 5 stipends.shh.gifshh.gifshh.gif

You're entitled to your opinion on what the impact will be.

But, I am assuming I can put you in the category of those who are fine with us being a low level D-1A school, and taking another step towards never being able to do anything about it?