Where to Next?

GJGood

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_CollegeInsider.com_Postseason_Tournament

And for anyone who is saying that players will be up for these tournaments probably didn't go to the Green Bay game a few years ago when we were in the CBI. The players were pretty open in saying they didn't want to play in it and they lost to a bad team.

I recall some ZN.o forum members being pretty open in saying the players didn't want to play in it, but I don't recall ever seeing any players actually quoted. As for Green Bay being a "bad" team that year, they finished with a 22-13 record and #104 RPI in the higher-ranked Horizon League to the Zips' 24-11 record and #98 RPI. So they were actually pretty evenly matched teams, and the Zips played a close game but lost by 4 points. Green Bay's head coach was none other than Tod Kowalczyk, architect of Toledo's renaissance.

Let's try to limit the mythology about this year's tournament matchup. First off, I ain't buyin' that the players don't want to play in it until someone offers some solid proof. I don't expect anyone to believe anything I say unless I can back it up, and I hold everyone else to the same standard.

Next, I ain't buyin' that IPFW is a "bad" team. The Zips currently have a 21-12 record and #96 RPI compared with IPFW's 24-10 record and #121 RPI. Not a lot of difference. The Zips should have a small advantage in their attempt to keep the 22+ win streak alive. But this is not a gimme game.

Everyone can check out IPFW's season stats here and a comparison of team stats here.

Dave, It's just not a matchup I can get excited about. I can't imagine telling anyone "Hey..we beat IUPFW in the CTI" when reflecting on the Zips 2014 basketball campaign. Sorry.

With the players, as I indicated earlier, you may not find that they'd publicly acknowledge a lack of enthusiasm. I'm sure they want to play basketball again, but do they REALLY want to play? Know what I mean? Are the results of the 2010 CBI a more clear indication of the desire for a program like ours, regardless of what might be publicly expressed or not expressed?

Skip, I always defer to you in presenting the most negative scenario.

Dave,

We have an example of how players and fans responded to this invitation when we received one previously, instead of someone's own personal speculation. And that was only after ONE NCAA appearance in this recent string.

I'll rely on documented history as opposed to hope, until I see otherwise.

Next, I ain't buyin' that IPFW is a "bad" team. The Zips currently have a 21-12 record and #96 RPI compared with IPFW's 24-10 record and #121 RPI. Not a lot of difference. The Zips should have a small advantage in their attempt to keep the 22+ win streak alive. But this is not a gimme game.

Everyone can check out IPFW's season stats here and a comparison of team stats here.

Basketball State has IPFW at 63 and Akron at 82 in their rankings. Pomeroy has Akron very slightly ahead.

Everyone does understand that this is only a 1-game tournament if you lose in the first round, right? If IPFW doesn't float your boat, there are 30 other teams in the CIT besides IPFW and the Zips, right? One game at a time. Beat IPFW and the Zips are likely to face a tougher matchup in the second round. Win the second round and a tougher matchup awaits in the 3rd round. When we see the full list of 32 teams we'll have a better idea of what it's going to take to win this tournament. Do a Google search for CIT basketball and under Search Tools select Past Hour to see all the teams popping up. OU, Eastern Michigan and Cleveland State are among the familiar names already in. This tournament is winnable as long as the players have a better attitude than some of their fans.

Skip, none of the players from the 2010 Green Bay loss are still on the roster. How many centuries does the Northeast Ohio Curse dictate must pass before the Zips have players who take a lesser tournament game more seriously than some believe that group of players did in 2010? Every season a different team steps up and wins these lesser tournaments. Are you saying the Zips should give up forever because they failed once?

full list of matchups:

Monday, March 17
Holy Cross (19-13) @ Brown (15-13)
Tuesday, March 18
VMI (19-12) @ Canisius (20-12)
Wright State (20-14) @ East Carolina (17-16)
Norfolk State (19-14) @ Eastern Michigan (21-14)
Chattanooga (18-14) @ ETSU (18-15)
Columbia (19-12) @ Valparaiso (18-15)
Alabama State (19-12) @ Sam Houston State (23-10)
Portland State (17-14) @ San Diego
Wednesday, March 19
Quinnipiac (20-11) @ Yale (15-13)
Towson (23-10) @ USC Upstate (19-14)
Cleveland State (21-11) @ Ohio (23-11)
Akron (21-12) @ IPFW (24-10)
Murray State (18-11) @ Missouri State (20-12)
North Dakota (17-16) @ Nebraska-Omaha (16-14)
Texas A&M Corpus Christi (17-15) @ Northern Colorado (18-13)
Pacific (15-15) @ Grand Canyon (15-14)
not that records indicate much, but I like that the Zippers get the team with the best record in the tourney right off the bat.

How do they determine the home teams? We have to travelaren't we a higher ranked team than IPFW? Ohio gets a home game? ;)

It costs $30,000 to buy a home game in the CIT. If Gozips wants to know the source, the quote comes from the Tournament Director, former Hawaii coach Riley Wallace. Akron apparently didn't have the $ to play at home. On the other hand, Hawaii turned down their former coach for even a road game, based on travel expense. BTW, did I say how much I'm looking forward to seeing 15-15 Pacific @15-14 Grand Canyon? Will this one be nationally televised, or will it be on the internet, symbolic of the home team, playing in their first post-season, in the school's first year in Div 1? edit: Forgot to say, Go Zips, Spear those Mastodons! Our one NCAA team title beats their four NCAA men's volleyball final fours.

The CIT has posted all 32 teams and first round matchups here. Given that the CIT bases matchups on close proximity to minimize travel, it's possible if the Zips beat IPFW that they could meet the OU-Cleveland State winner in the second round.

True on the second round matchup possibilities but the fact that they didn't give us CSU off the bat kind of tells me that they did their research to see we played them out of conference and that they probably want to avoid rematches in the early rounds if possible. Still, I'd see them giving us CSU, OU, or EMU well before giving us someone like Pacific or Portland State.

Skip, none of the players from the 2010 Green Bay loss are still on the roster. How many centuries does the Northeast Ohio Curse dictate must pass before the Zips have players who take a lesser tournament game more seriously than some believe that group of players did in 2010? Every season a different team steps up and wins these lesser tournaments. Are you saying the Zips should give up forever because they failed once?

If you believe the 2014 team might be more likely than the 2010 team to rise to the occasion and get excited, and take a lesser tournament game more seriously, I'd contend that you haven't been paying much attention this year.

Also, I pointed out that the previous CBI/CIT bid happened after only ONE trip to the big dance. How about assessing how fans and players respond to a bid like this after THREE recent big dance appearances? And this one is a road game against a pretty obscure opponent.

Again, I'll take history over hope, until I see otherwise.

Skip, I readily admit I lack the expertise to analyze the Zips from the cheap seats and definitively conclude what we've seen on the court this season equates to a lack of desire to play in a lesser tournament. I just have to go with my gut feel that there are some intense competitors on this Zips team who want to prove they're better than the team that lost in OT to WMU.

Also, you do realize that there are teams in these lesser tournaments who've actually made runs in the NCAA tournament. From what you're saying it sounds like no team that's ever made the NCAA tournament should ever bother entering a lesser tournament because their hearts can never truly be in it. Surely you can't be saying this rule only applies to the Zips.

KD says in GT article "they'll be hungrier than us".. And to paraphrase" once you play in the NCAA tournament, you don't want to play anywhere else."

I don't agree with skip all the time, but it isn't that crazy to believe they aren't gonna be very motivated. I don't blame them. I'd have a lot of respect if they came out and gave their best shot to win the whole thing.

@zippy5, I had read the KD quote. We all know there's purpose in his public statements. Of course a team that's never been to a tournament and is coming off its best season ever is going to be highly motivated. That goes without saying. Again, that begs the question of whether any team that's ever made the NCAA tournament should ever bother entering a lesser tournament because their hearts can never truly be in it. The answer is yes they should, and most do. Every season many teams that have been to the NCAA tournament in the past play well in the NIT, CBI and CIT. Only a few elect not to, as Buffalo did this year.

There's value to be had for all the players coming back next season, which for the Zips means everyone but Q, and especially for the underclassmen. The NCAA has rules about how much time teams can practice to keep some teams from getting an advantage in experience. Participation in a post-season tournament is one of the few legal ways teams can gain extra experience. I choose to put a lot of weight on what Shaka Smart said about the value to his team. The Zips have as many freshmen and sophomores and fewer graduating seniors than the VCU team that went from winning the CBI to their NCAA Final Four run. That alone means more to me than all the negative comments added together.

We all know there's purpose in his public statements.

Of course...to set up the excuses if/when the Zips lose. After that 46 point embarrassment in the NCAA Tourney last season and the collapse in this season's MAC Tourney semi-final, let's be sure the excuses are in place.