Carmen Lamancusa revisited

The Zips need to start getting ready to go after the junior from Mathews High School named Carmen Lamancusa. He's 6'3 290 and a lot of muscle. He runs a 5.2 40. he was 1st team all-ohio as a sophomore. This kid is Ohio State material.

The Zips need to start getting ready to go after the junior from Mathews High School named Carmen Lamancusa. He's 6'3 290 and a lot of muscle. He runs a 5.2 40. he was 1st team all-ohio as a sophomore. This kid is Ohio State material.
Mathewes HS in Vienna? Even Mineral Ridge beats them! I hear they petitioned the OSHSAA to create a Division VII football division! :rofl:

I think they were tied for first last year. I'm not talking about the team anyways, i'm talking about the kid. He's getting stuff from nebraska.
Being a resident of Trumbull County for 18 years I feel uniquely qualified to comment on Vienna Mathews football. :o If the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers are recruiting a kid from Division V1 Mathews I will soon look for them to drop to NAIA status. Frank Solich might recruit him...but he's no longer Nebraska's coach.There is no way on God's green earth Nebraska recruits a kid from one of the smallest schools in Ohio. I don't think the Zips have recruited a kid from a Division VI Ohio school since Ryan Uhlenake circa 1996, let alone Nebraska.It this kid is any good and wants to attend a Division 1-A college, he needs to transfer to Warren JFK...or Mooney...or Ursuline. Nebraska doesn't do backflips when they watch game film of a kid from Mathews steamroll a DL from Southington or McDonald. Do folks in Trumbull County even have VCR's yet?CKMcDonald HS Class of '84 ;)

• 3 months later...

He's 3 to 4 star material. Was hurt most of his Junior year. 6'4 280 pounds, bench press is 340. not sure of his squat. He's getting offers from Boston College and Duke. He and his father have already visted both schools. Akron has finally requested films of him. Akron needs to take a serious look at this kid.Mount Union has a certain technique on how to recruit players. They show the locker room with the players name on top of the locker. That's a great way to get a student interested in your school. Make them feel like they are all ready a part of the program before they even go there.Captain, you might not think a kid from D6 Mathews will go to a big school, Carmen Lamancusa will prove you wrong. I'll put money on it.

Is he getting offers, or getting information from the schools?There is a big difference. Sorry, but for the big schools, 6'4" 280lbs is nothing special. Sure it is great for a sophomore, but he has to prove it on the field. There is much more than size in football.He may be a future NFL player. But just from the information given, he doesn't seem like anything special.

He's 3 to 4 star material. Was hurt most of his Junior year. 6'4 280 pounds, bench press is 340. not sure of his squat. He's getting offers from Boston College and Duke. He and his father have already visted both schools. Akron has finally requested films of him. Akron needs to take a serious look at this kid.Mount Union has a certain technique on how to recruit players. They show the locker room with the players name on top of the locker. That's a great way to get a student interested in your school. Make them feel like they are all ready a part of the program before they even go there.Captain, you might not think a kid from D6 Mathews will go to a big school, Carmen Lamancusa will prove you wrong. I'll put money on it.
EVERY school USE to do this. It is now an NCAA violation. you cannot put player names on video boards, no PA's with their name in it, no nameplates on locker, nothing that shows nay affiliation to a school that the kid is not signed with.

So you don't think Akron recruits from little schools Cap? See Jared Cecchetti, strarting DT, JD Brookhart recruit. Played as a true freshman. From Kane HS in Kane, PA, population 100 people and 50 cows. If Kane were in Ohio, it'd be a tiny D6 school. Just because a kid is from a small town and small school doesn't mean he can't play. Many D1 schools are catching on to this and recruiting players based on their attributes, not their competition. bobby may in fact be talking about a kid that would be a huge pickup for us, and we have a better chance of getting him because of the fact that he's from a small school. You shouldn't just laugh at him because he doesn't play at Canton McKinley.

So you don't think Akron recruits from little schools Cap? See Jared Cecchetti, strarting DT, JD Brookhart recruit.  Played as a true freshman.  From Kane HS in Kane, PA, population 100 people and 50 cows. If Kane were in Ohio, it'd be a tiny D6 school. Just because a kid is from a small town and small school doesn't mean he can't play.  Many D1 schools are catching on to this and recruiting players based on their attributes, not their competition. bobby may in fact be talking about a kid that would be a huge pickup for us, and we have a better chance of getting him because of the fact that he's from a small school.  You shouldn't just laugh at him because he doesn't play at Canton McKinley.
I hail from a Division 6 Ohio high school (lost in the playoffs last week 27-8, BTW). I don't see a kid from a bad D 6 program going to Boston College. If the kid were any good he would have transferred to Warren JFK or Mooney.I await signing day. I bet he's at YSU...if he's any good.

• 1 year later...

Had to take a trip down memory lane...

Captain, you might not think a kid from D6 Mathews will go to a big school, Carmen Lamancusa will prove you wrong. I'll put money on it.
Boston College flew him and his father to watch a game last week. He's already visited Duke. Duke really wants him bad and unless anyone close offers, that's where he'll go.
Click to see where Carmen ended up.Where's my money? :D

Yeah seriously! I would want my $$$$ too! Just curious, for future reference, is Beer an acceptable form of payment?
Depends on the beer.For example -- The Leinenkugle's Summer Shandy that I tried for the first time at Canal Park last week...which tasted like 1/2 Mike's Hard Lemonade and 1/2 Pabst...would not be a suitable payment.

Yeah seriously! I would want my $$$$ too! Just curious, for future reference, is Beer an acceptable form of payment?
Depends on the beer.For example -- The Leinenkugle's Summer Shandy that I tried for the first time at Canal Park last week...which tasted like 1/2 Mike's Hard Lemonade and 1/2 Pabst...would not be a suitable payment.
Oh! I know people who like Leinenkugle beers. Do you like that stuff Cap'n? It's all got a flowery aftertaste like many of the Sam Adams beers. Bleh.