Game #4 Pittsburgh Panthers

Dr Z

I'm starting in the Cultural District and working my way to the north shore (approx 20 minute walk).

For anybody concerned about parking downtown away from the stadium, here is a nice parking map.

culturaltoheinz.png

Sienna Mercato downtown is a new, awesome place. Next to Dr. Z's recommendation of Tenpenny.

I like the looks of the draft list, I will probably stop there for one also. Wood-fired pizzas for those that like that sort of thing. Thanks zippy5.

Can we get Pitt on our schedule permanently?

Pitt Secondary Exposed!!!

Welcome to the city I've called home for Seven years! (Class of 06')

-Tailgating should be pretty awesome...I have friends that buy season tix just to tailgate outside Heinz (the massive parking lot helps).

-If you're not tailgating and staying downtown, I recommend that you take the Light Rail/Subway (the T) from Heinz Field (Allegheny station). North Side Station goes close to PNC park, Gateway is near Gateway Center and Market square, Wood Street is the heart of downtown and close to the Cultural District, Steel Plaza runs by Consol Arena, and First Avenue is the last station downtown. Due to a generous donation from the Steelers, the system between these stops is free.

-Downtown is mainly a 9-5 place, but that is changing. Only certain parts are busy and touristy- the cultural district, Point State Park, and Market Square.

-Food and Beer: Sharp Edge is awesome. Jerome Bettis Grille is not bad either. Ive heard great things about Olive or Twist (cultural district) Grit and Grace (market square), Wingharts (market square)

-You'll get the best views of the city on Mount Washington via the Duquense Incline. You will also get nice views at Point State Park especially if the fountain is on.

-Theres a ton of collegey clubs and bars on Carson street (southside)

You'll have a wonderful time...god I wish I was going to the game!

• Like 1

Theres a ton of collegey clubs and bars on Carson street (southside)

Thanks for taking the time up05, nice job. I'll expand on your description of Carson street, it is for the twenty something crowd. Skip it if your in our late thirties or older. The last time I was there made me appreciate how good we have it in Ohio with our smoke free bars. I forgot how bad you smell when you wake up in the morning. :puke:

GT says both could be back - game time decision.

He tweeted this article twice. The first time I believe it read, Brumbaugh, Hundley and Chisholm should all play.

gt.png

Weekend weather should be perfect...enough so, that I'm considering staying in town for Sunday's game.

Does anybody think Tommy Woodson gets some meaningful snaps in his "hometown", or still too early?

All offseason I said that I thought Marshall was our toughest non-conference opponent and that I thought we'd match up best with (other than Howard) Pitt because I thought they'd be power run oriented and that we'd have an extremely solid run defense. Now, after the Marshall game, I am quite a bit more concerned with our run defense. I hope Marshall just had us off balance and out of our comfort zone with their play calling and that my intial thoughts turn out to be fairly accurate concerning this week's game.

Plus, how about a little more emotion this game? I thought that from he time the Zips took the field last Saturday that they looked less excited and less energetic than Marshall did. I understand the game not going well can do that to a team but I noticed it even before the opening kickoff.

All offseason I said that I thought Marshall was our toughest non-conference opponent and that I thought we'd match up best with (other than Howard) Pitt because I thought they'd be power run oriented and that we'd have an extremely solid run defense. Now, after the Marshall game, I am quite a bit more concerned with our run defense. I hope Marshall just had us off balance and out of our comfort zone with their play calling and that my intial thoughts turn out to be fairly accurate concerning this week's game.

Plus, how about a little more emotion this game? I thought that from he time the Zips took the field last Saturday that they looked less excited and less energetic than Marshall did. I understand the game not going well can do that to a team but I noticed it even before the opening kickoff.

Leadership is key to that. And I think a lot of our leaders were neutralized by injuries.

I will say; I predict a bounce back this week, and an unexpectedly close game.

Leadership is key to that. And I think a lot of our leaders were neutralized by injuries.

I will say; I predict a bounce back this week, and an unexpectedly close game.

He tweeted this article twice. The first time I believe it read, Brumbaugh, Hundley and Chisholm should all play.

gt.png

Weekend weather should be perfect...enough so, that I'm considering staying in town for Sunday's game.

Does anybody think Tommy Woodson gets some meaningful snaps in his "hometown", or still too early?

I’d feel a lot better about this game if I knew March was coming back as well. Regardless,

I do think the Zips will play significantly better and more inspired football.

It’s doubtful that former the former Gateway QB gets any meaningful PT, short of an injury. If Pitt gets a comfortable lead, then certainly TW13 will get to re-experience the Heinz Field turf for the 1st time since the WPIAL playoffs. I still believe KP16 can do the job, but I definitely feel better about our backup situation than I did entering the season.

I’d feel a lot better about this game if I knew March was coming back as well. Regardless,

I do think the Zips will play significantly better and more inspired football.

I would too. But if 1-more week off means he'll be ready to go for MAC play, than I guess I'm okay with it. I want March back for MAC play, even if it's after EMU and Miami. Keep him out as long as he needs. Because we need him.

I would too. But if 1-more week off means he'll be ready to go for MAC play, than I guess I'm okay with it. I want March back for MAC play, even if it's after EMU and Miami. Keep him out as long as he needs. Because we need him.

EMU, yes. Miami, NO. The sweaters have traditionally owned us and they seem to be improving in under-the-radar fashion in 2014. They have a 5th year transfer QB who is playing well for them and they have a very good coach (IMO). If March can give it a go against MU, even if not at 100%, I want him in there.

With the small conversation last week of the Zips practicing no running back offensive sets, I thought the stat below was interesting. And the fact that we are facing the nations leading rusher this week.

"Through 3 weeks of the NFL season, there have been equal amount (18) of 100-yard rushing and 300-yard passing games."

Isn't the NFL supposed to be a "passing league" now a days? B)

With the small conversation last week of the Zips practicing no running back offensive sets, I thought the stat below was interesting. And the fact that we are facing the nations leading rusher this week.

"Through 3 weeks of the NFL season, there have been equal amount (18) of 100-yard rushing and 300-yard passing games."

Isn't the NFL supposed to be a "passing league" now a days? B)

Interesting stat indeed. I'm not sure what "equal amount" means by your quote. Of the 18 games, half had had this characteristic and half have not?.?. I'd be more interested to know which of those 18 teams have won their games. My guess is it is a lot.

I would say the NFL is still a passing league because it is, and always has been, a league when teams depend on big plays to score touchdowns and win. Big plays come in a variety of ways on both sides of the ball and there are too many to get in to. With that said, there is still a relationship between the run and the pass, just like in boxing there is a relationship between body punches and knocking someone out. If one boxer only tries to punch the other in the head, he will never knock him out because his attack is too easy to defend. If a football team only passes, it will never beat the other team because their offense will be too easy to defend.

It seems to me that modern day offenses use their passing game in two different ways. The one we see most of the time today in college/NFL football is the "match-up" passing game where coordinators are just trying to find mismatches with the opposing defense similar to what basketball coaches do. I think this is the least effective of the two ways in terms of being able to win games. It can be used to win games, but it is least effective. One thing that worries me about the Zips is they are this type of offense. Why does it worry me? There is not a relationship between the running and passing game.

The second way is one most people call a balanced attack, but I like to call it a "symbiotic attack". Balance means one is trying to find some sort of equilibrium. I'm more interested in winning than equilibrium/balance. A symbiotic attack is one where all of the plays run in a game compliment each other and result in the team winning. There is an old saying about offensive coordinators getting into a rhythm. This means all of the plays they are calling tie together and work because the other plays they are running are working. It's less about balance and more about the relationship between all of the plays being called. "The most dangerous team is a team with confidence and momentum." - Bill Cowher. When a team has momentum, you see the symbiotic relationship between plays because they are going on long drives and everything ties together. Because the players have momentum, the players have confidence the plays being called are going to work so they use their confidence to play better. When a team is going on short drives and punting, they never develop confidence and momentum because nothing is working consistently. Coordinators will start to grasp at straws for anything that works (frequently passing on every down to try to get back in to a game or hitting a big play) and that throws the symbiotic relationship between running and passing off. In reality, it leads to turnovers, which are the golden nuggets of football. It's extremely hard for a defense to create turnovers when they are completely confused by play calling.

From what I have seen from the Zips this year, they do not have this type of symbiotic attach about their offense. There doesn't seem to be much patience with the running game.