Game #11 UMass

Lee Adams

It's done nothing for recruiting? That's an interesting statement...

Interesting? I'd call it incorrect :)

We all know TB’s high school recruits have not been highly rated by the services and they’ve only yielded a handful of major contributors up to this point. But guys like Hundley, Deandre Scott (having a really good year somewhat under the radar), and Jatavis Brown are certainly a cut above the players he inherited.

The real impact TB’s name has had is in acquiring the talented transfers. Players like Mizell, Capi, Moses McRay, would not have considered UA without TB and his staff in place. The "super six" sitting out this year are all supposed to be very good (all expected to start or compete for the starting job).

I’ll be the 1st to acknowledge that the recruiting emphasis needs to shift towards more HS players and less on the transfers, and hopefully that happens in 2015. Let’s also realize that, besides the PK from Georgia (Leary), the entire freshmen class from 2014 was redshirted. I don’t know how you evaluate those guys without them getting a chance to play.

Ouch .............. LOL

Sons of ZN.o posters excepted, I'm sure that's what he meant :) Maybe you can give us an insight...what tipped the balance for your player to Akron? Was it Terry specifically? Other coaches? Campus/facilities? Academic progrum? Opportunity for much/early playing time? Any family ties to Ohio? Do tell!

Interesting? I'd call it incorrect :)

We all know TB’s high school recruits have not been highly rated by the services and they’ve only yielded a handful of major contributors up to this point. But guys like Hundley, Deandre Scott (having a really good year somewhat under the radar), and Jatavis Brown are certainly a cut above the players he inherited.

The real impact TB’s name has had is in acquiring the talented transfers. Players like Mizell, Capi, Moses McRay, would not have considered UA without TB and his staff in place. The "super six" sitting out this year are all supposed to be very good (all expected to start or compete for the starting job).

I’ll be the 1st to acknowledge that the recruiting emphasis needs to shift towards more HS players and less on the transfers, and hopefully that happens in 2015. Let’s also realize that, besides the PK from Georgia (Leary), the entire freshmen class from 2014 was redshirted. I don’t know how you evaluate those guys without them getting a chance to play.

Right on point Sir !!! .............. The rebuilding plan seems on track if you take the emotion out and view it objectively (not offense to anyone as I understand the frustration). Could/Should have been a much better season from a record perspective (which is what die hard's were excited for with the 4-2 start)

I would aggressively argue with anyone who says the talent level in the Bowden's first two signing classes isn't at least one level up. ............. Next year will be the true measuring season (I know that's pretty easy to say now) ........ There is alot of talent that was red shirted (That would be the benefit of a bowl game .... A few more practices)

Also please don't forget that the most under rated and overlooked part of the program is also in the "rebuilding" stage ............. The strength and conditioning program !!!

Completely different philosophy and program than before ............... There is the "field" part of the program (practice and games), that yields all the attention (and is the bottom line), and the "off season" (and in season) weight room and S&A program and the "administrative/marketing" part of the program (which includes recruiting)................... All being changed

So you have "Old program" players (not that that is necessarily bad) used to one training/practice discipline and the "New Program" philosophy that is totally different in ALL program aspects, and you have new recruits and transfers that you are introducing to the program and changing their habits from High School or other programs. Also you have administrative staff people from the old program that you are also changing philosophy with ....................... Tough task when it was THAT bad (as I understand it)

It is a large ship not a speed boat ............. Unfortunately cannot change direction that fast.

I look forward to maybe joining you all (or y'all in the dirty south) next season for some tailgating !!!

That's my rah rah speech for the day !!

• Like 2

Sons of ZN.o posters excepted, I'm sure that's what he meant :) Maybe you can give us an insight...what tipped the balance for your player to Akron? Was it Terry specifically? Other coaches? Campus/facilities? Academic progrum? Opportunity for much/early playing time? Any family ties to Ohio? Do tell!

LOL ........ I was kidding

Coaches:

My son loved the Coaches first of all .......... Of all of the Coaching staffs he has met and spoken with during the recruiting process, he has built the strongest relationship with Coach Stroud........... Great guy with a ton of coaching experience (and playing),.............. All of the Coaches he spent time with (Bowden, Amatto) were great and all seemed to share the same vision of the program and laid out the rebuilding plan the same (which is on track as they laid it out)

Facilities:

I have to be honest that on the ride up on the first visit, I was thinking to myself (Akron? really) ......... But when we got up there and toured the facilities, my reluctance disappeared. Excellent facilities ... Comparable to the SEC facilities in the niceness (if that's the word) .......... Only much smaller scaled.

Playing time:

My son is about 3" short for the SEC (obviously I'm bias) ...........He has talked to and visited most of the ACC, AAC and Sun Belt schools and feels that Akron is a perfect fit for him. He has been in a high school program that is run like a college program (going for third straight state championship and got second when he was a freshman). The defense Coach Amotto runs is the exact defense he has been in since 8th grade so the transition to the program should be smooth. I can see the probability of him being red shirted to add weight, but he is very solid technically. Coach Stroud and Bowden both said that he reminds them of Cody Grice (which is a nice comparison). Coach Bowden told him he would like to use him in goal line situations like Cody as he is a pretty punishing FB ............... He is 6'1 245 LBS now and would like to come in June at 260 lbs............... Probably will be a 290 lb guy as a RS Sophmore

Education :

Akron has his degree program (Exercise Science)

No family in the area

He is also excited about the potential of being a part of building the program .......... Again I'm a bit bias, but he fits the mold of what Coach Bowden talks about when he says they want to recruit "good character" kids that know what it takes to win. .......................... He should be a solid player and contributor to the program (he better be !!!)

• Like 2

I can speak from experience. ..TB and his staff made the decision much easier for one recruit! The facilities are very nice but we looked at several nice facilities. ..The academics were a big plus as well.. a few of the other mac schools he looked at didn't offer the program he wanted. However in the end it was Coach Bowden and Coach Tank that swayed his opinion. He is also very happy with the new strength and conditioning staff....GO ZIPS....

Right on point Sir !!! .............. The rebuilding plan seems on track if you take the emotion out and view it objectively (not offense to anyone as I understand the frustration). Could/Should have been a much better season from a record perspective (which is what die hard's were excited for with the 4-2 start)

I would aggressively argue with anyone who says the talent level in the Bowden's first two signing classes isn't at least one level up. ............. Next year will be the true measuring season (I know that's pretty easy to say now) ........ There is alot of talent that was red shirted (That would be the benefit of a bowl game .... A few more practices)

Also please don't forget that the most under rated and overlooked part of the program is also in the "rebuilding" stage ............. The strength and conditioning program !!!

Completely different philosophy and program than before ............... There is the "field" part of the program (practice and games), that yields all the attention (and is the bottom line), and the "off season" (and in season) weight room and S&A program and the "administrative/marketing" part of the program (which includes recruiting)................... All being changed

So you have "Old program" players (not that that is necessarily bad) used to one training/practice discipline and the "New Program" philosophy that is totally different in ALL program aspects, and you have new recruits and transfers that you are introducing to the program and changing their habits from High School or other programs. Also you have administrative staff people from the old program that you are also changing philosophy with ....................... Tough task when it was THAT bad (as I understand it)

It is a large ship not a speed boat ............. Unfortunately cannot change direction that fast.

I look forward to maybe joining you all (or y'all in the dirty south) next season for some tailgating !!!

That's my rah rah speech for the day !!

I've been trying to convey this, but I haven't as elegantly as a recruits parent ;)

Thanks! GO ZIPS! :gun:

I love that southern trait! It makes me feel old when young men call me Sir, but it warms my heart at the same time. One point that I would put high on my list evaluating our program as a recruit or parent, is TB's use of inherited upper classmen. It should demonstrate TB's respect for his players. By not abandoning these guys and sacrificing a few seasons to rebuild, I would be convinced that I or my son would play for someone with my best interest as a priority.

I love that southern trait! It makes me feel old when young men call me Sir, but it warms my heart at the same time. One point that I would put high on my list evaluating our program as a recruit or parent, is TB's use of inherited upper classmen. It should demonstrate TB's respect for his players. By not abandoning these guys and sacrificing a few seasons to rebuild, I would be convinced that I or my son would play for someone with my best interest as a priority.

Hear Hear !!!! Great point

Not that my son is multi star recruit (but a straight solid football player) .... But I have heard so much BS spewed from so many coaches (I can only imagine the crap these high profile 18 yr old recruits hear) that it is tough to trust a word from any of them. ............ The actions you mention above are the proof in the pudding (even suggesting the former UA team physician that now practices here in my area regarding an injury)

After spending time with Coach Bowden on three occasions, seeing emails from and hearing my son's conversations with him and Coach Stroud, I am pretty convinced of their commitment to these young men. Anything can happen in college football Coaching, so nothing is a lock, but the fact that my son feels comfortable that this staff will be at UA for his 4-5 years (as do I ) .... Was certainly a nice check mark to have on the top 5 list.

Good group of guys/gals that we have dealt with thus far (from TB down )

• Like 1