Game #11 UMass

Lee Adams

Anybody watch UMass beat BSU last night?

I did not, but I was concerned about this game even before the season took a nosedive. UMass is much better than their record.

With Frohnapfel getting hurt, I expect Woodley will be expected to given plenty of opportunities to carry the rock. Coach Whipple's kid will probablt be the QB. Either way, the Minutemen should be favored.

I watched and saw a very beatable team if we make some changes. Stay the same and we probably lose. Terry has to take over the offense and both OT's should be benched with Brown and Boyett moved to these positions. Move back in Senior McNamara at RG and work on a surprise play or two for this game to create some excitement this week. Get Smith and Davis the ball more as D'Orazio will be doubled (come back to Zach later in the game). The offense has got to stop trying not to lose the game, deferring to the defense, and take over the game. Pound in Hundley and give Senior running back Chisholm his carries. It can be done with the players we have now in these last two games. Hopefully Pohl's knee is OK.

• Like 1

Went to the UMass game in Foxboro last year. Thoroughly enjoyed Bowden taking the game out of Pohl's hands and actually committing to the run. It was a close game but Akron controlled it with the run and won. New and better coach at UMass this year.

If Bowden/Milwee continue to put their fate in the passing game this year...well. Fronhapfle has some warts. Just not as many as Pohl. And, Whipple will use his running game judiciously. We will see what Bowden et. al are capable of this week. Nothing to lose in this one. Make the necessary adjustments. See what happens.

Went to the UMass game in Foxboro last year. Thoroughly enjoyed Bowden taking the game out of Pohl's hands and actually committing to the run. It was a close game but Akron controlled it with the run and won. New and better coach at UMass this year.

If Bowden/Milwee continue to put their fate in the passing game this year...well. Fronhapfle has some warts. Just not as many as Pohl. And, Whipple will use his running game judiciously. We will see what Bowden et. al are capable of this week. Nothing to lose in this one. Make the necessary adjustments. See what happens.

You're right. And Bowden et. al. will rally the troops to a victory.

• Like 1

Will be around 22 degrees with 12 mph winds at kick-off. It is going to be a miserable game for the Stein and Zach Paul. Lake effect snow is also possible. I don't agree with those who think run first, pass second, but I hope we can establish the run game early to take the pressure off of Pohl, throwing a football in that kind of weather is like throwing a brick.

Chisolm did as best as can be expected with what he had last week. He hit the holes fast and where there was no hole, he bounced it to the outside. He had the right balance. I look for him to have a good game this week. He has had bursts that looked like he was close to having a break out game this season and it seems like he is hungry for it. Tyler William also seems on the verge of a breakout and seems to have been the most consistent receiver over the last month. He does a good job picking up extra yards after the catch.

Chisolm did as best as can be expected with what he had last week. He hit the holes fast and where there was no hole, he bounced it to the outside. He had the right balance. I look for him to have a good game this week. He has had bursts that looked like he was close to having a break out game this season and it seems like he is hungry for it.

He was the one guy that looked like he wanted to win the game. I wish Capi or Brown had his heart, instead of quitting in the second half (when the game was still well in reach).

It reminded me of a quote from Lee Owens years ago regarding his lethargic defense - "I might put Charlie Frye out there (on D)...at least he'd try to make a play!"

I am tired of Pohl's touch-passes too. Everything out of his hand is a floater. Even his short passes look like someone trying to throw a dart at a dart board rocking back and forth trying to float one into the bulls-eye.

The only decent half of offensive football I've seen in a month was from Woodson at Ball State. When he came in at game's end @ Buffalo, he played with a purpose and a tempo that at least made the Buffalo defense think (instead of easily reading everything and teeing-off).

Play Woodson against UMass. Post-concussion Pohl is like the old gray mare...he ain't what he yousta' be.

• Like 1

Will be around 22 degrees with 12 mph winds at kick-off. It is going to be a miserable game for the Stein and Zach Paul. Lake effect snow is also possible. I don't agree with those who think run first, pass second, but I hope we can establish the run game early to take the pressure off of Pohl, throwing a football in that kind of weather is like throwing a brick.

Chisolm did as best as can be expected with what he had last week. He hit the holes fast and where there was no hole, he bounced it to the outside. He had the right balance. I look for him to have a good game this week. He has had bursts that looked like he was close to having a break out game this season and it seems like he is hungry for it. Tyler William also seems on the verge of a breakout and seems to have been the most consistent receiver over the last month. He does a good job picking up extra yards after the catch.

Hell a lot of pressure would be taken off immediately if our WR's would simply CATCH the damn ball

And there is absolutely no play calling scheme ..................... running the short out patterns and bubble screens are worthless if there is no plan to use them as set up's for double moves and deeper patterns ........ and to "setup" the run is only possible when you run pass patterns to loosen up the middle for the run. I have seen no indication that this kid has any pattern of play calling or a knowledge of setting up for future plays.

He was the one guy that looked like he wanted to win the game. I wish Capi or Brown had his heart, instead of quitting in the second half (when the game was still well in reach).

Maybe ............. Just maybe, that's why they are not on the CSU and OSU rosters anymore .......................... Just sayin

Talent with no fight is no talent at all !!!!! ......................... That would be the "character" that Coach Bowden speaks of !! That's the set of dice you roll with transfers (especially those that have dismissed from other teams) ..................... Unfortunately I have not seen many transfers that were dismissed, that become solid leaders on another team

Expectation can be a biatch !!!!

Maybe ............. Just maybe, that's why they are not on the CSU and OSU rosters anymore .......................... Just sayin

Talent with no fight is no talent at all !!!!! ......................... That would be the "character" that Coach Bowden speaks of !! That's the set of dice you roll with transfers (especially those that have dismissed from other teams) ..................... Unfortunately I have not seen many transfers that were dismissed, that become solid leaders on another team

Expectation can be a biatch !!!!

Capi was CSU, but Brown is a 100% Freshman Zips recruit.

To your OSU point, Pittman was the OSU transfer, and he has had too many moments where he's lost his cool.

I know Bowden sifts through transfers as well as he can. There was a transfer kid from Penn State that was penciled-in to start for the Zips as of mid-summer, then UA backed away from offering after a more-detailed background investigation. Thanks to Brookhart (off the books after this season) and Ianello, we need transfers. There's no other way to get back the "lost" Junior and Senior classes.

I get that it's frustrating to watch your offense go 3-and-out all day long. But these guys can't freaking quit. They are playing the bottom-rung of the MAC programs. If you keep fighting, you'll have a chance at game's end. The only way you lose to these dregs is if you quit, or lose your attention to detail.

The Zips of the past few weeks are simply going-through-the-motions. Chisholm's and William's energy we saw at Buffalo shouldn't have stood-out so much. You should see that kind of effort as commonplace. But it stood out because, inexplicably, during a bowl run, we lost our heart.

This team needs to regain its early-season swagger. Ending on a 2-game win streak would be huge. And UMass and Can't suck. But at this time I really question if we could beat Howard again, let alone sucky MAC teams.

Capi was CSU, but Brown is a 100% Freshman Zips recruit.

To your OSU point, Pittman was the OSU transfer, and he has had too many moments where he's lost his cool.

I know Bowden sifts through transfers as well as he can. There was a transfer kid from Penn State that was penciled-in to start for the Zips as of mid-summer, then UA backed away from offering after a more-detailed background investigation. Thanks to Brookhart (off the books after this season) and Ianello, we need transfers. There's no other way to get back the "lost" Junior and Senior classes.

I get that it's frustrating to watch your offense go 3-and-out all day long. But these guys can't freaking quit. They are playing the bottom-rung of the MAC programs. If you keep fighting, you'll have a chance at game's end. The only way you lose to these dregs is if you quit, or lose your attention to detail.

The Zips of the past few weeks are simply going-through-the-motions. Chisholm's and William's energy we saw at Buffalo shouldn't have stood-out so much. You should see that kind of effort as commonplace. But it stood out because, inexplicably, during a bowl run, we lost our heart.

This team needs to regain its early-season swagger. Ending on a 2-game win streak would be huge. And UMass and Can't suck. But at this time I really question if we could beat Howard again, let alone sucky MAC teams.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to Tommy Brown

LOL ............ We may want to be careful labeling our future opponents as teams that "suck" ..................... I believe I saw threads from the Buffalo, Ohio and Ball State that labelled them the same. LOL

Hell a lot of pressure would be taken off immediately if our WR's would simply CATCH the damn ball

And there is absolutely no play calling scheme ..................... running the short out patterns and bubble screens are worthless if there is no plan to use them as set up's for double moves and deeper patterns ........ and to "setup" the run is only possible when you run pass patterns to loosen up the middle for the run. I have seen no indication that this kid has any pattern of play calling or a knowledge of setting up for future plays.

Good post. When given easy opportunities, too many guys are not completing simple tasks.

I hate the bubble screen, but it is an effective body blow to a defense. It allows players easy opportunities to complete and catch passes so confidence is boosted. It also forces two parts of the defense to do something they don't want to. Forces corners to get physical and take some hits which they really don't want to do. Also forces defensive linemen to run a distance they aren't built for or want to.

Beating up corners makes them tired late and opens up big plays. Tired linemen give up a lot of yards rushing.

It's a play that makes me want to fall asleep, but is needed right now.

Good post. When given easy opportunities, too many guys are not completing simple tasks.

I hate the bubble screen, but it is an effective body blow to a defense. It allows players easy opportunities to complete and catch passes so confidence is boosted. It also forces two parts of the defense to do something they don't want to. Forces corners to get physical and take some hits which they really don't want to do. Also forces defensive linemen to run a distance they aren't built for or want to.

Beating up corners makes them tired late and opens up big plays. Tired linemen give up a lot of yards rushing.

It's a play that makes me want to fall asleep, but is needed right now.

It is a great play to set up multiple opportunities later in the game ..................... It bothers the crap out of me to watch the offensive play calling as you can see (without any play calling knowledge), that the play calling has no rhythm (or doesn't appear to)

Other than situation play calling (third and 1, etc), a play called should have a purpose for later in the game (double moves on press coverage, deeper out routes, loosen the LB's for run plays etc.)

But maybe I'm wrong ..............

LOL ............ We may want to be careful labeling our future opponents as teams that "suck" ..................... I believe I saw threads from the Buffalo, Ohio and Ball State that labelled them the same. LOL

Those teams DO suck. Who else in NCAA D1 could these teams have beaten besides themselves or Akron?

Our Tuesday game just got pulled from ESPNU? How tragic a commentary is that?

One of our pass problems, apart from drops, is that our receivers, particularly our long ball threat receivers, have been hugely outmatched in either height or skill for the second part of the season. It's not like we have guys running down field, wide open and we aren't trying to get them the ball. It seems like our long passes have been fairly well covered and as in the case of the BGSU game, their secondary out-played our receivers, taking the ball out of our hands. This greatly reduces the ability to use shorter plays to set up bigger plays. I disagree about the effectiveness of using the short passes. Our problem is that really, only Williams and Bickley make plays after the catch, and you have to limit your use of Bickley due to his size. Tyler Williams effort after the catch has been excellent for the last 3 to 4 games. Chisolm can also be effective in this scenario, but it seems as though defenses are aware of that and waiting for him. I doubt most of you who are criticizing the play calling know how to read the defenses like the offensive coordinator and coaching staff and I really don't put a lot of stock in your criticisms. I would imagine that the early play calling has had a purpose, but when you fail to execute on the game plan early in the game, you have to adjust accordingly.

Overall, it is easy to sit here and pick apart the coaches, telling them who they should play and who they shouldn't, but honestly, what do we know? We don't know the dynamics of practices or if there are lingering injuries. We don't know which kids have attitude problems. Critiquing the play calling when the talent level isn't there yet is also an easy cheap shot. Everyone wants a fix today, but you can't take the worst team in college football and fix it overnight. Bowden has had 2 recruiting classes and a large chunk of the second one is likely red-shirting this year. Even though he carries a big name, recruiting with the mess he walked into with the program is going to take a little time. Buffalo had talent and had the recruiting leverage - they didn't fall apart until early this season. The same could really be said of the other recent losses, Ball State, Ohio, and BGSU. I realize that many have lost their patience, but some of the posts, more or less calling for coaches to resign, are nothing short of ignorant. We had our hopes built up early by a good game against PSU (who really is not that good this year) and a win over Pitt, where Pitt was clearly unprepared and out-coached. Apart from Howard and Pitt, our offense has never looked great all year. Red zone scoring has been a problem since PSU and it has not improved. We have found ways to score, at times, but never a real since of consistency.

I wouldn't mind seeing Woodson run the offense for the rest of the season, either. I agree with Captain Kangaroo: at least there was a sense of urgency when he led the team. There did seem to be a little better chemistry, at times, with the receivers, too.

• Like 1

Easy fella ................ I agree with you

Then you need to agree wholeheartedly! ;)

Just frustrating to see this team take such a nosedive into the crapper. Hope somehow they perform some corrective action for these final two games. 50 soft floaters per game has proven to get us nowhere fast.

• Like 1

I hate the bubble screen, but it is an effective body blow to a defense.

Only way that stupid play is halfway decent, is if you fake it, and get one on one coverage, or no coverage on the receiver next to the WR faking. This works because EVERY defense is aware of this dumb play. BUT (and this is a big one) you have to actually block people, the QB has to pump fake the short throw, then make an accurate throw with the football down field (wild concept). Then the receiver actually has to catch it. On top of that, you would need to call the play at the proper time and place on the field. I think it's asking way to much for our struggling offense. Just throw an incomplete pass over someones head on first down, run the ball into the back of the offensive line on second down, and throw at someones feet on third down. Hope the other team muffs the punt, and kick the field goal. That's what we are good at.

one thing that we have consistently demonstrated all season is our inability to run the ball. Play calling won't change that. Execution will. There is no way to remedy that from our seats. Are we complicating the blocking schemes? or is it a personnel problem? Being pass oriented, are we bunching the line for better pass protection and bunching the D to more easily cover all the gaps? Are we just too predictable? When we put 36 in the backfield, I keep waiting for a bootleg. Of these and many more factors, we can only hope that the staff will find the right solution. I have to believe that they are more frustrated than any of us.

When we put 36 in the backfield, I keep waiting for a bootleg.

Didn't we try that against BGSU and it failed miserably? I can't remember.

I would like to see us on a short yardage situation with Cody Grice in the backfield, have a tight end slip past the defensive line and have Grice (or who ever) throw it to them.