2015 Conference schedule

Staton14

I would assume TW did some serious griping to the MAC. I spoke with several different people within the athletic administration, expressing my profound disbelief at last years schedule. I also know that I wasn't the only one complaining, so I'm sure our voice found its way to TW.

Sorry, but I don't ever recall ESPN broadcasting a MAC Saturday game, so I doubt we'll see any this year.

I realize for you (not having the Zips on TV very often), it's not such a good thing - we'll make it up to you when you manage to visit Lot 9, I assure you!

But for the small, but loyal, local fan base this is exactly what the Dr ordered. I'm stunned. Maybe the MAC is concerned with their crown jewel of a stadium going to waste?

ESPN3 makes every game watchable on TV!

Glad we're running off a mentality of nearly a decade ago. #TeamOhio!

I guess when you've only been on this planet for a couple of decades this outlook is understandable. In the context of being a fan for more than 4 decades, 2005 wasn't that long ago. I remember a time whem Can't refused to even schedule us because we were too small time.

I guess when you've only been on this planet for a couple of decades this outlook is understandable. In the context of being a fan for more than 4 decades, 2005 wasn't that long ago. I remember a time whem Can't refused to even schedule us because we were too small time.

One of the interesting things about this forum is that we have a lot of age diversity, which leads to a lot of different perspectives. Many of the older fans may have a better sense of historical perspective while many of the younger fans may have a better sense of what it's like for today's students. Considering all the different perspectives usually produces a more realistic picture than that of any individual, so I hope that everyone keeps sharing their thoughts.

In the MAC, it's only Akron/Can't. Conferences with bad weather late in the season and poor overall attendance should play their rivalyry games as early as possible.

I don't know why some of you have a problem with the Black Friday rivalry game. Everyone has off work and there are plenty of people who don't have an interest in shopping. At the very least, it will be nationally televised.

Remember the epic 2005 Thanksgiving Day rivalry game? If we are at the top of the conference, is there any reason the game won't be that exciting every year?

Remember the epic 2005 Thanksgiving Day rivalry game? If we are at the top of the conference, is there any reason the game won't be that exciting every year?

Yes I do, I think there were hundreds there. I remember the last two guys in the tailgate lot too. I wish I had a 14 mm lens and took a bunch of photos that day. I could have had some dramatic images for the ages.

This shot was taken during the game.

c8olwqslbznek488.jpg

True, but wasn't it -10 degrees, or something ridiculous like that? I'm a die hard but I only stayed for 1/2 of the game.

I admire anyone who actually was THERE that day. I chickened out. And it always pisses me off that one of the greatest days in Akron D-1 football history was an unbearable day that very few people ever got to personally enjoy.

Imagine how much fun that would have been to have a 50 degree day, and possibly have 20k+ enjoying tailgating, a blowout win against Ken+, an East Div. title, and our first trip to the MAC title game.

I admire anyone who actually was THERE that day. I chickened out. And it always pisses me off that one of the greatest days in Akron D-1 football history was an unbearable day that very few people ever got to personally enjoy.

Imagine how much fun that would have been to have a 50 degree day, and possibly have 20k+ enjoying tailgating, a blowout win against Ken+, an East Div. title, and our first trip to the MAC title game.

Unless you move Akron to Virginia or North Carolina, you'll never see Akron clinch a MAC title in 50 degrees :D

I was there as well. I only made it until halftime. I was barely able to get my car up the hill leaving the Rubber Bowl. I spent the 2nd half listening on the radio on my ride up to a family dinner. Good memories. Get us back there, coach!

Being there, I can't see how your scenario would have been any more "fun." The real scenario was fun, and unbelievably memorable. One of the things I enjoy about sports, is that you never know when your going to watch a "historic" game. Most games are pretty normal, but once in awhile you get Leftwhich carried down the field, or a wagon wheel game in a snow storm that sends your team to a conference championship game. Fans are still discussing a decade later. It was also highlighted on SportsCenter because of the extreme weather conditions. You can watch 100 more college football games, and not see a game played like that one.

I am going to assume the "only been around for a few decades" comment was aimed at me. I am only 35 but, I live and breathe Akron Blue and Gold and have done so since 1986. My dad started taking me to games and I have never looked back. I have missed 3-4 games since then at home, and 2 are regrettable. I missed the comeback at the Rubber Bowl on a Friday night in the early to mid 00's, and I missed the 66-0 win over Howard when they had the Battle of the Bands. I have seen so many games they are starting to run together. I support the Zips as much as possible. I have 2 degrees from the University and I will do everything I can to ensure my children go there. I have my bleacher seat from the Rubber Bowl and I will forever hold that as one of my prize possessions. I know the history as well as I have read up on the old OVC days. My dad who bought his season tickets in 1966 has stories of taking a train to watch the Zips play in the Grantland Rice Bowl only to lose to Terry Bradshaw and Lousiana Tech. in 1968 and of the only Zips "bowl" win in 1976 vs. Northern Michigan. I love talking Zips football! Go Zips!

• Like 2

I don't know why some of you have a problem with the Black Friday rivalry game. Everyone has off work and there are plenty of people who don't have an interest in shopping. At the very least, it will be nationally televised.

NOT everyone has off work. I realize the school does, but I don't and a I expect a lot of people who would go don't. My department is always shorthanded that day so I end up working.