Tom Wistrcill Resigns. Larry Williams hired.

zippy_ua_00

At this point, I think it might be fair to have some apprehension about how he's bounced around a bit. But, the diversity of his experience and accomplishments is looking pretty good, and includes some areas where we desperately need to raise the bar.

I'm not sure why anyone has anything to gripe about right now. With the guys who pulled their applications, this was potentially starting to look like we'd have to end up giving the job to whoever wanted it. I'm glad it didn't end up that way.

Have you ever met GVH?

I have not. I certainly would not have been against him being hired, but I also find it hard to believe we could get a guy with a better resume than Williams'. Sans football (not at a fault of his), just about everything he has done or has experience with is something Akron is looking for. GVH could have been a great hire, certainly deserving, but none of us really know. I don't think the U is currently in a position to take big chances. We know what Williams has done and can do.

From the bio on Gozips.com "Williams was a two-time All-American football player and a 1985 graduate of the University of Notre Dame."

Enough said. Strike three. When will we ever learn?

So your logic is, since Rob Ianello coached there for a few years, nothing good will ever come out of one of the finest institutions in the globe.

Have you ever met GVH?

Dr. Z, please don't take this personally, but I disagree with this mentality and culture of hiring.

It is very common and natural to warm up for the individual we know and have interacted with. Especially when someone is a professional and pleasant individual. However, for the sake of the university and the athletic programs, we need to absolutely put these feelings aside and hire based on resumes and qualifications.

I have never met GVH, but he seems like a great guy (from what I hear), and I appreciate his service to UA and I hope that he continues in his job and prosper in his career. Yet, comparing resume to resume, I think that the correct hire was made.

FTR, I have never met George on a face-to-face basis, but have interacted with him on numerous occasions over more than a twenty-year period. George worked in the athletic department as an undergrad when the UA men's bb team first tripped to my state in the early 1990s, and from that time on I have found his overall interest and ability in working with alums thousands of miles away to have been far beyond what might have been expected -- especially in comparison to certain other AD employees who simply couldn't care enough to even return an inquiry. I hope that he will stay at the UA, because frankly he does a great job at what he's doing right now, and that is terribly important to the institution. Universities like the U of A need alumni and leaders like George van Horn. And, right now, I think the selection committee made a great choice. I look forward to Mr Williams' numerous national connections creating an upgrade to many sports programs in the coming years. Welcome aboard, Larry!

• Like 4

Ahhh...yes, you caught that too Keener?

Except that he said "Saturday Morning", and I hope he's not too disappointed in a couple of weeks when only some will be tailgating that early, because of the late game ;)

I would like to request that everyone get to their lot as early as possible on 9/12 and I would like this for your responses:

do-it-for-johnny-o.gif