Game 4—Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns

lance99

On to the Sun Belt!

IMHO, this will be the game that will decide the season for the Zips. As stated in the Week #3 thread, ULL is the most MAC-Like team.

Keep in mind they have been good for the last few years, but they are 1-1 at the moment and coming off an Bye Week.

I am still in the mindset of "No Terrence Broadway, no problem" for this game. However the key to this game IMO is Time Management. How long will the Zips Offense stay on the field to keep the Defense fresh?

Will said Defense have huge plays?

Will ULL be ready/complacent/phone it in?

Discuss

Last time we played Lousiana-Lafayette I remember it being a major let-down. It was after the Michigan game and we lost by less than a touchdown. I know most won't agree with me, but I firmly believed that we should have won that game. Poor QB play was a major contributor to us losing that play, we were down early by 14 because of turnovers led by Kyle Pohl. It took Hirschman coming off the bench and leading the team to two TDs that got us back into the game, the second of which he apparently injured himself on by celebrating, which we never saw him again on the field for Akron.

This game is winnable IMHO, but like you said Lance, time mangement. The offense absolutely HAS to find a way to stay on the field. The defense, if given enough time to rest throughout the game, can keep the score close. As much of a fan as I was of Chapman in the preseason, the experiment needs to end. The QB leading this offense has to be #13. The last time we had a #13 leading the offense, it sparked our hope for the future of the Zips. It's time for #13 to do that again.

Last time we played Lousiana-Lafayette I remember it being a major let-down. It was after the Michigan game and we lost by less than a touchdown. I know most won't agree with me, but I firmly believed that we should have won that game. Poor QB play was a major contributor to us losing that play, we were down early by 14 because of turnovers led by Kyle Pohl. It took Hirschman coming off the bench and leading the team to two TDs that got us back into the game, the second of which he apparently injured himself on by celebrating, which we never saw him again on the field for Akron.

This game is winnable IMHO, but like you said Lance, time mangement. The offense absolutely HAS to find a way to stay on the field. The defense, if given enough time to rest throughout the game, can keep the score close. As much of a fan as I was of Chapman in the preseason, the experiment needs to end. The QB leading this offense has to be #13. The last time we had a #13 leading the offense, it sparked our hope for the future of the Zips. It's time for #13 to do that again.

Hirschman did not play vs. Louisiana. You are thinking of JMU.

1) I didn't like losing to a Sun Belt team at home. Any Sun Belt team. Even with the recent history of teams like Arkansas State knocking off good MAC teams in bowl games.

2) Secondly, It happened the week after we played that stellar game at Michigan.

Despite all of that, they could be pretty darn good. They went toe-to-toe with Kentucky, and Kentucky has had close games with South Carolina and Florida, which looks to make them a fairly competitive SEC East team.

This would be a quality win for us. I don't want to see us go 1-3 with only a win over a really bad I-AA team as our only victory. But, that's looking like the way we'll start, unless the offense has really gained some much-needed "quality practice" from the performance on Saturday.

This is a conference superiority battle shaping up in recent years with the bottom two leagues, and I really hate to see us contributing negatively to the outcome.

On to the Sun Belt!

IMHO, this will be the game that will decide the season for the Zips. As stated in the Week #3 thread, ULL is the most MAC-Like team.

Keep in mind they have been good for the last few years, but they are 1-1 at the moment and coming off an Bye Week.

I am still in the mindset of "No Terrence Broadway, no problem" for this game. However the key to this game IMO is Time Management. How long will the Zips Offense stay on the field to keep the Defense fresh?

Will said Defense have huge plays?

Will ULL be ready/complacent/phone it in?

Discuss

Agree!

​I would be surprised if ULL shows up complacent. They haven't had a hot start, though decent (1-1.)

As sad as our situation is, I have to agree that Woodson deserves the start.....Mind you....that is only if Pohl cant play. Chapman needs to be #3.

As sad as our situation is, I have to agree that Woodson deserves the start.....Mind you....that is only if Pohl cant play. Chapman needs to be #3.

Pohl shouldn't even be in the mix if the coaches are going to go with a QB run offense. Truthfully, I don't know why after at least 2 concussion KP16 would want to play, again. I hope someone is talking to him about the long term repercussions of concussions.

In a word folks ...... DISCIPLINE !!!!!

It will be difficult to defeat anyone else the rest of the way if we continue to give up ridiculous 15 yd personal foul penalties. Especially in some of the yardage situations ....... Defense has to be able to get themselves off the field in the third and long situations.

I would certainly consider our defense "legit" with talent ...... But rec league in discipline

37 in NCAA in penalties per game and 34th in penalty yards ..... If my math is correct

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/877/p3

Just sayin

• Like 1

Good Afternoon. Cajuns fan living in Houston. Two time graduate from UL.

A little about the Cajuns:

Under Coach Hudspeth, the Cajuns have had 4 consecutive 9 win seasons and 4 straight bowl victories. The Cajuns run first, pass second. Elijah McGuire is our best back. Arguably the 2nd best back in the state behind Fornette at LSU. Our 2nd back is Pierce and he is quick. Haack is the starting QB. This will be his 4th start ever. Strong passer. Will scramble if he needs to.

Our defense continues to improve. We lost two excellent DLs to graduation last year, but our LBs are strong.

The Cajuns went down early against Kentucky, made halftime adjustments and was tied going late into the 4th quarter. Bad penalties and a timely run sealed the Cajuns fate. The Cajuns were vanilla against NSU.

Not sure what to expect this week. I don't think the Cajuns will be complacent. They had a number of injuries going into the bye. Looks like they may have at least three starters back for Akron. The Cajuns have a "revenge" against an in-state opponent next week so they could look past Akron, but I don't expect it to happen.

Akron will see a lot of run from the Cajuns.

Cajun Field has recently expanded to 36,900. We normally get just under 30K each game.

For those who are going to Lafayette, be ready to enjoy great food and great hospitality.

• Like 3

Entire article from GoZips.com found here.

Dylan Evans: A Student of the Game Sep 21, 2015 GAMEDAY FEATURE STORY
by Brian Dennison
In his collegiate career, senior linebacker Dylan Evans has appeared in 35 games, compiling 129 total tackles and helps anchor the Zips' defense. The Nazareth, Pa., native and former Pen Argyl Area High School standout has made a career of being at the right place at the right time, and it is not by accident."Dylan is an intelligent player and a student of the game," associate head coach and defensive coordinator Chuck Amato said. "He spends a lot of time in the film room preparing and is aware of everything going on around him. He knows what is happening everywhere on the field, in front of him, behind him, and more importantly, what the offense trying to do."Evans' approach to the game is very business-like. He studies his opponents and uses that information to perform his...

Pohl shouldn't even be in the mix if the coaches are going to go with a QB run offense. Truthfully, I don't know why after at least 2 concussion KP16 would want to play, again. I hope someone is talking to him about the long term repercussions of concussions.

Are our coaches not able to lay out a game plan based on who is the starting QB? The players have to have the entire playbook memorized, so I can't buy this one-dimensional mindset!

Frankly, however, I think the Cajuns are about as good a team as there is in the MAC, so it may not make much difference. We have to beat the OUs, the CMUs, the Buffalos, Mass etc. to be considered a bowl team. Fortunately we have a favorable conference schedule (no Toledo or NIU). After this week, we have a good chance against every team except probably BeeGee.

Are our coaches not able to lay out a game plan based on who is the starting QB? The players have to have the entire playbook memorized, so I can't buy this one-dimensional mindset!

You don't spends all off season working in am new offense, because it's what you need to do, only to abandon it. You don't have to buy it, but it's the way it is.

For those of you who might be going to the game this weekend, I think you will find a warm welcome from most Ragin Cajun fans, Go a little early to the stadium area and walk around the tail gate area, There's musi by he big oak tree, and just follow your nose there is a lot of good food and I know for sure you will have access to some great food.

Again welcome to Lafayette and good luck Saturday, If you need any info send me an email and I will try to reply roderr@stabildrill.com

@GeorgeThomasABJ -- Kyle Pohl worked with @ZipsFB today, but won't know until tomorrow whether he can play against Louisiana-LAFAYETTE.

"The way Tommy Woodson performed last week, he deserves to get the starting nod and we'll go from there, and how the rotation occurs, we'll make that decision if there is one" --Coach Bowden