Game 7—Western Michigan Broncos (2016)

skip-zip

20. Western Michigan

With Boise State falling to defeat at Wyoming, the bye week has been kind for Western Michigan. That leaves them as the frontrunners to be the top team outside of the Power-5, provided they can keep winning, and their season-opening win over Northwestern looks pretty decent at this point. Inside linebacker Robert Spillane leads the team with 25 defensive stops, which has helped him to an 84.8 overall grade.

If nothing else, this surge up the polls by WMU could at least be a barometer for how high a MAC team can go with an undefeated season and a couple of decent OOC wins.  I'm also feeling a little less jaded today concerning my belief that the press no longer gives a fair shot to a good team from a low level conference.   

• Like 1

Believe it or not, 1 loss Boise St has jumped WMU in this week's CFP rankings. Boise St's win over Wazzu is looking better by the week. If you're rooting for WMU (and the MAC), root for Wyoming unless they lose. They have two tough remaining conference games against SDSU and UNM to close out the season. If they slip up, you'll want to pull for presumably SDSU over Boise St in the MWC Championship game.  I haven't personally confirmed this, but I have heard there is a caveat for the highest ranked G5 school. You must win your conference to get the New Year's day bowl bid and that is impossible for Boise if Wyoming wins out due to them owning the tiebreaker. Someone feel free to fact check the above :)

This drubbing Houston is giving Louisville could throw a wrench into things. However, regardless of rankings, they would need Navy to slip up as they are currently ahead of them in AAC standings.

Confirmed from my above post that you must win your conference championship for a G5 to be selected to a New Year's day bowl.

When not hosting semifinals, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls will welcome displaced conference champions and the top-ranked champion from a non-contract conference. The highest-ranked available teams will fill any other berths. The selection committee will make the pairings.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/overview

Loved seeing Louisville get stomped. After their players complained about how they weren't treated fairly by the CFP and they are coached by Bobby Petrino. Too bad Houston has those losses or the committee would have to give them serious consideration for the playoff. Would have liked to have seen what they'd have done but moot point now. Would be OK with WMU making the Cotton Bowl with the Zips now out of the MACC running. Can't see Houston doing anything with their two losses (and one being to SMU).

WMU will get smoked if they get to a major bowl against a good P5 team. I know some of you think it's great, but what is worse, not getting there or getting there and thinking that the MAC has arrived and then seeing them lose 63-10?

That just makes our conference look even worse. Anyone remember Cincy thinking they were all that because of their week schedule and then they get to a BCS bowl and got destroyed by UF?  Not sure it really helps the conference much when your by far best team gets destroyed on national TV.

5 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

WMU will get smoked if they get to a major bowl against a good P5 team. I know some of you think it's great, but what is worse, not getting there or getting there and thinking that the MAC has arrived and then seeing them lose 63-10?

That just makes our conference look even worse. Anyone remember Cincy thinking they were all that because of their week schedule and then they get to a BCS bowl and got destroyed by UF?  Not sure it really helps the conference much when your by far best team gets destroyed on national TV.

Akron and the rest of the MAC can think of about a million reasons each why its a good reason for WMU to get there. I've posted breakdowns earlier in this thread. I care a lot more about money than some meaningless perception that doesn't affect my team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

Akron and the rest of the MAC can think of about a million reasons each why its a good reason for WMU to get there. I've posted breakdowns earlier in this thread. I care a lot more about money than some meaningless perception that doesn't affect my team.

That's fine and I agree. However, my point was aimed at those that actually think WMU will make the MAC look legit. 

7 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Will WMU most likely lose if they play a top team? Yes.

Is it guaranteed? No.

There is a reason that teams plays the game.

Edited by UAZippers
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

Will WMU most likely lose if they play a top team? Yes.

Is it guaranteed? No.

There is a reason that teams plays the game.

Since the "pollsters" are usually so biased against "non-power" teams, I would expect WMU can probably be even more competitive than their ranking indicates.  

They've beaten two Big 10 teams, and ran through the MAC.  They deserve the opportunity.  It all depends on the matchup.  But no matter who it is, it's still just one football game.  Anything can happen, and they are a very good team.  What should scare some people is that they've appeared to be sleepwalking through some recent wins.  I hope they'd be ready to step on the gas when the competition warrants.    

Welp, I didn't make the trip to Kalamazoo and now I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass.  Instead, I'm sitting here in Ashland, watching vicariously, with the most extreme case of MAC envy.  Great turnout.  Looks great on television.  I can't help but dream how great it would feel to be a Western fan today.

envious-glances-03.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking too K92-- I used to hope for a Keith Jackson called Akron game, then UA hosting College Game Day... wonder what that'd be like?   

Still waiting and hoping for breakout season from an Akron team.   What PJ Fleck has done is beyond amazing...   I'd like to think that there could be a convo w Terry that puts as an objective for him to identify a PJ Fleck-like talent that he can get on the staff and groom to take over for him in a few seasons.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Welp, I didn't make the trip to Kalamazoo and now I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass.  Instead, I'm sitting here in Ashland, watching vicariously, with the most extreme case of MAC envy.  Great turnout.  Looks great on television.  I can't help but dream how great it would feel to be a Western fan today.

I said earlier that I would probably camp out for a week on our campus to get a front row seat to be a part of something like that happening on Akron's campus.  That would almost be the pinnacle for me, with everything I've invested in being a supporter and fan of the Zips for several decades.  And I probably wouldn't have slept at all last night.  I'd be too excited, knowing that the entire country was going to see us.  

It's definitely a day of jealousy for me too.  

• Like 1