Les miles

zippy_ua_00

1 hour ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

Why not? Won a national championship, won the SEC 2 times, 8-6 bowl record. And local Ohio guy. What would it hurt?

If one were a Miles fan, I am not, where are you getting money to buy out Bowden (guaranteed 100% of his contract) and pay Miles (or anyone)? TB ranked 9th in salary in the conference last year. If TB were not extended, and the U had to interview next year, I might let him get off his couch for an interview for a headline, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be in my top three. 

PS For perspective on my coaching selections, Barry Switzer won a SB, and I wouldn't even let him walk my dog, let alone coach my team. :P

If you're going to consider Les Miles then you might as well consider Pelini too. He's playing for a FCS title today. I haven't done any reading on who their targets are, but think he would be a good fit for WMU.

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

If you're going to consider Les Miles then you might as well consider Pelini too. He's playing for a FCS title today. I haven't done any reading on who their targets are, but think he would be a good fit for WMU.

I think I would prefer Pelini over Miles....but let's wait for the next 2 seasons to pass before we worry about it. They aren't going to buy Bowden out unless some major scandal happens with the pressure on spending.

14 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I think I would prefer Pelini over Miles....but let's wait for the next 2 seasons to pass before we worry about it. They aren't going to buy Bowden out unless some major scandal happens with the pressure on spending.

And if that happens, its probably safe to assume Akron couldn't afford the Pelini/Miles price tag.

What's with this turning on Bowden?  Let me remind everyone that we had our most successful season as a D-1 program last year.

This year was, most certainly, a disappointment.  But we lost a ton on D & would have still made a bowl game and (I'm going to say) won the MAC East if Woody hadn't been hurt.  

And this year's recruiting class is shaping up to be the likes of which we've been looking for since we moved to D-1 (can't believe it's taken so long to begin to get the local talent to buy in).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

What's with this turning on Bowden?  Let me remind everyone that we had our most successful season as a D-1 program last year.

He's had 1 winning season (a year in which we still finished 6th in the MAC) compared to 4 losing ones so I don't get why people around here want to label him as a Patron Saint. The MAC East was the worst I can ever remember it being and we still couldn't make it to 6 wins.

Miles I feel is one of the best recruiters in the game. We saw what Fleck achieved this season at WMU by having the MAC's #1 recruiting class 3 years in a row.

Edited by kreed5120

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

He's had 1 winning season (a year in which we still finished 6th in the MAC) compared to 4 losing ones so I don't get why people around here want to label him as a Patron Saint. The MAC East was the worst I can ever remember it being and we still couldn't make it to 6 wins.

Miles I feel is one of the best recruiters in the game. We saw what Fleck achieved this season at WMU by having the MAC's #1 recruiting class 3 years in a row.

Rob Ianello was supposed to be a pretty great recruiter too. What does WMU have now? What did they REALLY achieve this season? WMU won nothing of significance and now they have nothing. As Akron natives Andre Knott and Zac Jackson would say..."Congrat"

Edited by LZIp

22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Rob Ianello was supposed to be a pretty great recruiter too. What does WMU have now? What did they REALLY achieve this season? WMU won nothing of significance and now they have nothing. As Akron natives Andre Knott and Zac Jackson would say..."Congrat"

If WMU achieved nothing this season, the MAC should disband immediately and all member schools drop football altogether.  The Broncos enjoyed arguably the best season of all time.  The odds are incredibly slim that Akron will ever experience a season like the 2016 Western Michigan Broncos.  That's nothing?  That is how far out of whack this country is that as a fan, if a team doesn't win it all as absolute undisputed champion that it doesn't mean crap while we give everyone coming up a trophy for outstanding participation.

Unbelievable.  Pooh poohing a 13-1 season.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Are you really trying to compare someone that had a proven track record of success in the toughest conference in America to Rob Ianello who was a WR coach before becoming Akron's head coach? WMU has a 13-1 season and an access bowl appearance to show for it. I'd trade 10 Potato Bowl trophies for that. Minnesota might have taken their coach, but nobody can take away the excitement their fan base had this season. I'd throw $100 down that Akron will never make an Access Bowl appearance with Bowden as our coach. Anyone care to accept that wager?

2 hours ago, K92 said:

If WMU achieved nothing this season, the MAC should disband immediately and all member schools drop football altogether.  The Broncos enjoyed arguably the best season of all time.  The odds are incredibly slim that Akron will ever experience a season like the 2016 Western Michigan Broncos.  That's nothing?  That is how far out of whack this country is that as a fan, if a team doesn't win it all as absolute undisputed champion that it doesn't mean crap while we give everyone coming up a trophy for outstanding participation.

Unbelievable.  Pooh poohing a 13-1 season.

That same argument could be made for all G5 schools actually, not just the MAC. As I said....WMU got to enjoy a nearly undefeated season beating a middling or horrible P5 opponent (we've done that) and some MAC opponents to win a MAC championship (which we haven't done, but definitely attainable). All that it enabled them to do is lose to a big time opponent in an exhibition game. We could do that 4 times a year if we really wanted to...To me that isn't worth essentially starting over from scratch. Losing your coach, half of your recruiting class being gutted, and scrambling to hire the coaching scraps a month before signing day. Nobody on a national stage cares about Hawaii losing to Georgia or NIU losing to FSU now and nobody will care about WMU losing to Wisconsin.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Are you really trying to compare someone that had a proven track record of success in the toughest conference in America to Rob Ianello who was a WR coach before becoming Akron's head coach? WMU has a 13-1 season and an access bowl appearance to show for it. I'd trade 10 Potato Bowl trophies for that. Minnesota might have taken their coach, but nobody can take away the excitement their fan base had this season. I'd throw $100 down that Akron will never make an Access Bowl appearance with Bowden as our coach. Anyone care to accept that wager?

I believe we currently have a coach who has a proven track record in the toughest conference in America. As I said above, I wouldn't sell my soul to lose an exhibition game. If WMU goes back to sucking, I'm betting their fans will feel the same way. Having a program that is enjoyable to watch year after year is worth more than some "magical" year that nobody outside of the fan base will recognize. Most schools will never make an "access bowl". There is approx. a 1.7% chance to make it per school every year. The stars aligned perfectly for WMU to make it. They didn't beat anybody impressive.

It's crazy that nobody wants such a successful coach like Les Miles. 19 FBS vacancies have been filled and not a single one seriously considered Miles. Crazy.

Edited by LZIp

29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

That same argument could be made for all G5 schools actually, not just the MAC. As I said....WMU got to enjoy a nearly undefeated season beating a middling or horrible P5 opponent (we've done that) and some MAC opponents to win a MAC championship (which we haven't done, but definitely attainable). All that it enabled them to do is lose to a big time opponent in an exhibition game. We could do that 4 times a year if we really wanted to...To me that isn't worth essentially starting over from scratch. Losing your coach, half of your recruiting class being gutted, and scrambling to hire the coaching scraps a month before signing day. Nobody on a national stage cares about Hawaii losing to Georgia or NIU losing to FSU now and nobody will care about WMU losing to Wisconsin.

I believe we currently have a coach who has a proven track record in the toughest conference in America. As I said above, I wouldn't sell my soul to lose an exhibition game. If WMU goes back to sucking, I'm betting their fans will feel the same way. Having a program that is enjoyable to watch year after year is worth more than some "magical" year that nobody outside of the fan base will recognize. Most schools will never make an "access bowl". There is approx. a 1.7% chance to make it per school every year. The stars aligned perfectly for WMU to make it. They didn't beat anybody impressive.

It's crazy that nobody wants such a successful coach like Les Miles. 19 FBS vacancies have been filled and not a single one seriously considered Miles. Crazy.

The difference is a coach will actually WANT to go to WMU. They have a roster full of talent, an alumni base that will fork over the money and a fan base that is now gaining traction. We have what? .... A retread name that has beaten 2 teams with a winning record in 5 seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

The difference is a coach will actually WANT to go to WMU. They have a roster full of talent, an alumni base that will fork over the money and a fan base that is now gaining traction. We have what? .... A retread name that has beaten 2 teams with a winning record in 5 seasons. 

I suppose we will see. If it works out for them, I may change my tune. As I said, it looks like at this stage of the game they will have to settle for scraps as every other head coaching vacancy has been filled. Didn't seem like BG got a prime candidate last year after multiple years of success. They settled for a positional coach from Texas Tech. Other programs like Toledo and NIU have had success replacing head coaches because they are an established program and promote from within.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

You mean Bowden had success with someone elses recruits while Miles put 11+ seasons in at LSU with LSU never finishing with fewer than 8 wins during his tenure? I think that is the consistent success you talked about wanting to get out of Akron. Not the 3 5-7 seasons and 1 6th place MAC finish we received that resulted in an 8-5 record.

Age is Miles biggest deterrant. There really isn't a market out there for 63 year old coaches. Still doesn't change the fact he is a much more accomplished and a far better coach than Bowden.

4 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

We will see how much talent they have left and how they adapt to the changes. Their recruiting class is going down hill, fast. BGSU did not transition well after Babers left (I like Babers, a lot.)

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

That is how I felt about it, too. They won a MAC title and played and lost in the Cotton Bowl. Was their close loss a "moral victory"? I thought they didn't matter? They were a very good football team. They were not elite.

G5 schools have to establish themselves as successful programs over multiple years to gain respect in rankings and ever hope to have a chance at a college football playoff (not sure it will ever happen.) WMU had 1 very good season. Next year, they go back to being a middle of the road G5 school.

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This year was, most certainly, a disappointment.  But we lost a ton on D & would have still made a bowl game and (I'm going to say) won the MAC East if Woody hadn't been hurt.  

And this year's recruiting class is shaping up to be the likes of which we've been looking for since we moved to D-1 (can't believe it's taken so long to begin to get the local talent to buy in).

+1 

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

We all know the reality of our situation right now.

But still, I can't believe anyone is debating about Les Miles successes.  If he were to even remotely have an interest in Akron (if there was a vacancy) I'd pay to fly the Akron entourage to his home myself.  

As the official ZN.O Bowden cheerleader...doesn't hurt to think about.  Bowden's contract is up after the 2018 season.  But I personally believe this season was an asterisk.  We would have been bowling if not for Woody's injury, and two years consecutively to a bowl game would have been another notch never achieved here.

Bowden is building a program.  But a coach like Les MIles, too old to possibly get another BIG school look, and probably not ready to retire, with his previous success is EXACTLY the type of coach I would think about bringing in.  I'm 100% against bringing in some hip young-gun like fleck, who will bring 3 good years, go one-and-done with a awesome year and bolt.  I am NOT interested in bringing some punk coach to use the program for their own personal benefit.