Wisconsin Badgers

Heck of an exciting game. Zips absolutely dominated possession and their goals were things of beauty. Seemed like Wisconsin's goals were all brute force rushing to the net but I may have some bias. So fun being in the crowd when they absolutely erupted one minute and nine seconds into overtime. :champs: > Big Ten Champs. 

Edited by MDZip

I had watched the entire game in regulation.  I saw the overtime start and I went outside to light the grill.  As I am out there I hear a loud GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL from my kids.  I knew it was good.

Wisconsin was a worthy opponent.  While these type of games have you on the edge of your seat, it is what we need.  It is nice to win 3-0, but the game we played today is realistic of what it will be the rest of they way.  We had a some adversity and we reacted well to it.  Hopefully, we are prepared for the next round and beyond.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2017/11/25/mens-soccer-badgers-season-ends-in-heartbreaker-to-no-5-zips.aspx

very classy quotes from John Trask.....love his comments about the environment and atmosphere

Straight from the Pitch:

Head coach John Trask
"Congratulations to the University of Akron. It was a great soccer game -- the type of match you expected in the round of 16. A lot of individual ability from both teams. The environment the game was played in was probably the best part of the contest. It was a special game. The field was beautiful; the atmosphere was incredible. I didn't expect anything less. One team had to go down today and unfortunately it was the University of Wisconsin. But I'll take that type of effort out of my guys any day of the week. I think we showed people who we are as team."

"Chris is a phenomenal player. He picked up two assists today which makes 20 on the year… that is basically an assist a game. He had a great free kick that caught the underside of the crossbar. Chris is a magical senior who will go on to play at the next level. All of our seniors make up a group that will leave a lasting legacy. I feel like this time there is a new standard for people who are going to represent us. I know the alumni and administration will be proud of the effort we put forth today. Once again, congrats to Akron."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stuart Holthusen has scored at least one goal in 7 consecutive matches. One hat trick and one brace in that time span. The last match in which Stu did NOT score was October 24th in Pittsburgh. He has 12 on the season.

THAT is finishing strong! The senior may play at some professional level after all.

But before that, he needs to score more for Zips!

I was only able to check in briefly from time to time on my phone during the game, as I was on the road. But by sheer luck, one of those times was just as OT began, and I got to see the winning goal in real time!

A great win for the Zips! On to the round of 8!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a-zip said:

I really like Cordiero, he is all over the place, great work rate.  Lundt was clutch!!  Love this team!!

Excellent comment on Manel.   Sam and Stuart are getting a great deal of the press.

Manel's assists were huge yesterday.

the young man has worked so hard to recover from a devastating auto accident

all of the seniors have improved tremendously...

nate,niko....and even...the often criticized pau

• Like 2

https://collegesoccernews.com/index.php/awards/team-of-the-week/1124-college-soccer-news-national-team-of-the-week-week-ending-november-26-2017

Sam Gainford - RS Senior - Forward - Akron Gainford continues to be an impact player on the offensive side of the ball for Akron. He found the back of the net from twenty-five yards out and placed a shot into the left corner of the goal to play a key role in Akron's 3-2 win in overtime against Wisconsin. Senior forward Stuart Holthusen netted the game-winning goal for the Zips who improve to 18-3-1 and will face Louisville in the Elite Eight.

Still recovering from Saturday p.m.  Just a few random thoughts.  Great crowd on hand, given all the particulars around the weekend - T-Day, OSU-Mich, school closed, etc...Huge walk-up attendance, and the entire reserved seating sold out. (No kidding!).  Mueller is an outstanding athlete and a great player.  Their coach is a class act.  Dave Bacon and Otto Orf have become fixtures at Cub Cadet, and that's a good thing.  No sales of merchandise...either U of A or NCAA College Cup - disappointing.  Gorgeous sunset.  I was getting a little cocky in my attitude, and I needed this match to knock me down a few pegs.  When Sam scored his first, my attitude was "This ones over!"  Stupid, I know.  Came crashing back to earth with the Badger equalizer, and it was a thing of beauty in its own right.  Then was SURE it was over when Sammy hit his brace.  "Afterall", said mt brain, "no one has scored more than 1 on us all season!"  BAM!  back to earth.  Now I am a lot more wary going forward.  Always great to see the interaction between the players and the Rowdies post-match, but for those of you that leave right away or watch on TV, the player-fan interchanges are heartening to watch and to eaves-drop on once in awhile.  Anyway, wish we had one more at FES/CCF to enjoy.

GO ZIPS!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Still recovering from Saturday p.m.  Just a few random thoughts.  Great crowd on hand, given all the particulars around the weekend - T-Day, OSU-Mich, school closed, etc...Huge walk-up attendance, and the entire reserved seating sold out. (No kidding!).  Mueller is an outstanding athlete and a great player.  Their coach is a class act.  Dave Bacon and Otto Orf have become fixtures at Cub Cadet, and that's a good thing.  No sales of merchandise...either U of A or NCAA College Cup - disappointing.  Gorgeous sunset.  I was getting a little cocky in my attitude, and I needed this match to knock me down a few pegs.  When Sam scored his first, my attitude was "This ones over!"  Stupid, I know.  Came crashing back to earth with the Badger equalizer, and it was a thing of beauty in its own right.  Then was SURE it was over when Sammy hit his brace.  "Afterall", said mt brain, "no one has scored more than 1 on us all season!"  BAM!  back to earth.  Now I am a lot more wary going forward.  Always great to see the interaction between the players and the Rowdies post-match, but for those of you that leave right away or watch on TV, the player-fan interchanges are heartening to watch and to eaves-drop on once in awhile.  Anyway, wish we had one more at FES/CCF to enjoy.

GO ZIPS!

I am continually amazed and disappointed at those who run the public address at Zips’ Soccer.  (Believe you me, I am toning down this message a lot).  I will forgive all other transgressions, but playing post match music OVER TOP of STUDENTS and PLAYERS chanting TOGETHER?!?  THAT I WILL NOT FORGIVE!!!  I love music played loudly. But what choice cuts are preferred over the organic (and brief) celebratory chanting?  Answer?  NONE.  NONE!!!   Nothing should be preferred over that tradition.

I will attribute this STUPIDITY to youthful inexperience and lack of situational awareness.  Should It ever be learned that such practice is an institutional decision, well, it will then be time for a personal visit to someone’s office.  

You, my friend, are in a unique position to comment on this.

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Always great to see the interaction between the players and the Rowdies post-match, but for those of you that leave right away or watch on TV, the player-fan interchanges are heartening to watch and to eaves-drop on once in awhile.  Anyway, wish we had one more at FES/CCF to enjoy.

GO ZIPS!

The experience is not the same without showing up for warm ups and staying to hear the "I Believe" chant and congratulating our players. They are awesome players, student-athletes, great young men. I only get on them from time to time because I know they are capable of winning it all, but they have to want it more than their opponents. I love our Mens Soccer program... Caleb, Jared, et al  took it to the pinnacle in 2010 and Jared, et al have done well carrying the tradition. I have and will go out of my way for this team.

57 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

I am continually amazed and disappointed at those who run the public address at Zips’ Soccer.  (Believe you me, I am toning down this message a lot).  I will forgive all other transgressions, but playing post match music OVER TOP of STUDENTS and PLAYERS chanting TOGETHER?!?  THAT I WILL NOT FORGIVE!!!  I love music played loudly. But what choice cuts are preferred over the organic (and brief) celebratory chanting?  Answer?  NONE.  NONE!!!   Nothing should be preferred over that tradition.

Totally agree buflobo. Cut the music when the players & Rowdies do the "I Believe" chant. Is it really that difficult to remember to do that?! The March to the Match seems to be gone; please let's not destroy the "I Believe" celebrations.

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

GO ZIPS!

I saw some NCAA College Cup merchandise by Gate 1, if you're interested in a $25 hat or $35 long-sleeve shirt. As for Zips gear, they can't sell that at an NCAA Tournament game.

Edited by AyYo

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

I love music played loudly. But what choice cuts are preferred over the organic (and brief) celebratory chanting?  

Those of us who sit in front of that press box, you wouldn't believe how loud that music is, or the PA announcements.  I understand that you need to hear that in other areas of the field, but it's almost unbearable.  My wife wants us to move our tickets next year.  She's always covering her ears.  It's a shame that choice seats have to endure that issue.  I don't know the solution, but we've already informed everyone who can do anything about it.   The problem might just be the location of those speakers.  If higher, that might be the solution.  

This was a VERY good and mature Wisconsin team that we encountered. Their seniors were excellent and very skilled;  Mueller will do well at the MLS level. Wisconsin were not intimidated by the atmosphere and did not quit when we went up on them twice. They were patient, organized, and played their game. Unfortunate Wisconsin lost on maybe their only mistake of the whole match, but that's how the beautiful game goes (...and partly what makes it beautiful). Great sportsmanship from the coach in the post-game; way to part for the season with dignity. Wisconsin is probably the best team to not advance to the Elite 8.

The last fifteen minutes of the second half was the only time all season I have seen us on our heals for an extended period. Kudos to Lundt for pulling us through when the rest of the team looked tired and unfocused. This may have also been the first time all year that we have really had to rely on our GK to get a result.

6 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Those of us who sit in front of that press box, you wouldn't believe how loud that music is, or the PA announcements.  I understand that you need to hear that in other areas of the field, but it's almost unbearable.  My wife wants us to move our tickets next year.  She's always covering her ears.  It's a shame that choice seats have to endure that issue.  I don't know the solution, but we've already informed everyone who can do anything about it.   The problem might just be the location of those speakers.  If higher, that might be the solution.  

How about speakers [perhaps, wireless] mounted on the light posts on the other side of the stadium? I sit in the front close to the field in front of the press box, and it is still unbearable there. I would like to keep my hearing.