JD signs New Contract

br30302004

I am thrilled they finally got that done. JD and KD are underpaid big time, compared to their MAC counterparts. I hope he got the type of contract that prevents other non-BCS schools from moving in. If JD is the coach I believe, his next move will be a BCS school further down the road and for a high six or seven figure salary(after five years).GO ZIPS!!!

If this is true, I'm happy. JD is a good coach and we needed to do something to keep him here. I had a strange feeling that he may be leaving.....glad I was wrong. :iws: He could still leave whenever he wanted to, but doing this helps recruiting. Now we need to come up with more money to help keep assistant coaches around. Three went to other schools after last season and that is a lot.

If this is true, I'm happy. JD is a good coach and we needed to do something to keep him here. I had a strange feeling that he may be leaving.....glad I was wrong. :iws: He could still leave whenever he wanted to, but doing this helps recruiting. Now we need to come up with more money to help keep assistant coaches around. Three went to other schools after last season and that is a lot.
This doesn't mean he won't be leaving. Coaches always have an out clause in the contract. These contracts always protect the coaches from not getting paid if fired, but they don't protect the school at all.I doubt he will be leaving after this season, but I also doubt he will be here 5 more years.

I don't see any of our assistants going anywhere after this year unless they get fired.
Last year I predicted two would leave and three did. Three is A LOT. It's a strange profession and there will be some turnover.Here is something interesting to think about. If you were JD, would it be difficult to fire an assistant if you had a feeling they were not going to leave and you felt others would? If three assistants leave and another gets fired, it would be a huge task for JD to replace four assistants in recruiting season. This would really be a difficult decision.

:unsure: In one sense its good Brookhart is apparently going to be here at least through next year. My concern is that the team obviously lost some cohesiveness,especially on the offensive side with the departure of Pry, Biggs and Hixon. Brookhart needs to take a hard look at the lack of production from the "O". Needs to find someone who can tutor a new QB and call plays. I get the sense Brookhart was calling more plays this year. Not the head coaches job because he can't spend enough time.He also needs to take a real hard look at the "D". If the assistants can't/won't adjust,bring in someone who can install a 4-3. Got to stop the run.Maybe the hope of new digs to play in will keep ol' JD here a few more years. Seems to be a good recruiter. Not sure about the X's and O's though.At least if we can't go neither does Can't!Go Zips.akronoldtimer

GPI is a seerer and a revealator regarding the need for more money ( much more money) for the assistant coaches. If there has been one consistant rant All season it has been the alleged lack of development of the players.To build on a statement he atributed recently to a friend of his regarding Xs and Os and Jimmys and Joes, you also need some buding Woodys and Bos to DEVELOPE the Jimmys and Joes, and, you cant hire them or retain them paying minimum wages. B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B) DEFENSE SPEED DEFENSE SPEED DEFENSE SPEED DEFENSE SPEED DEFENSE SPEED DEFENSE SPEED DEFENSE SPEED IN JD I WILL ALWAYS TRUST

Please help me to understand how a coach with a akron career record of 17-15 (currently) and possible (17-18 if we do not win out) would be a hot candidate for another football program? Are you guys suggestioning another head coach position or an assistant at a top program?

180K?!!! Man there is a huge gap between MAC schools pay and Big Ten schools pay. How in the world are we suppose to keep decent coaches?
What were you expecting? JD to be pulling in millions? Sorry to burst your bubble, but there SHOULD be a huge gap b/t coaches in the 2 leagues. The MAC doesn't really compare to Big Ten football, in talent, size, fan base, nothing. How would expect a coach at a school with an average fan base of 10k at a game to compete with schools that pool 100k+ to the game every week, not to mention national fan bases, apparel, etc. If a MAC were to pay their coaches even 500K a year, where would you expect that money to come from? Attendance, licensing apparel nationally, all that stuff gives money to a school in the Big Ten. Sorry, I was just a little shocked that you were so shocked by that number. That number for JD is after his 3rd year of coaching, with a Championship and bowl berth one year, and contentions the other 2 years. Imagine what a coach from a school like Buffalo makes, with this year being an improvement with 2 wins!

180K?!!!  Man there is a huge gap between MAC schools pay and Big Ten schools pay.  How in the world are we suppose to keep decent coaches?
What were you expecting? JD to be pulling in millions? Sorry to burst your bubble, but there SHOULD be a huge gap b/t coaches in the 2 leagues. The MAC doesn't really compare to Big Ten football, in talent, size, fan base, nothing. How would expect a coach at a school with an average fan base of 10k at a game to compete with schools that pool 100k+ to the game every week, not to mention national fan bases, apparel, etc. If a MAC were to pay their coaches even 500K a year, where would you expect that money to come from? Attendance, licensing apparel nationally, all that stuff gives money to a school in the Big Ten. Sorry, I was just a little shocked that you were so shocked by that number. That number for JD is after his 3rd year of coaching, with a Championship and bowl berth one year, and contentions the other 2 years. Imagine what a coach from a school like Buffalo makes, with this year being an improvement with 2 wins!
I know your right but I guess I didn't expect the gap to be THAT far away...I was expecting 220K-320K, if Tressel at OSU makes 1 Mill i was expecting a MAC school to make 75% less not 82% less

180K?!!!  Man there is a huge gap between MAC schools pay and Big Ten schools pay.  How in the world are we suppose to keep decent coaches?
I know your right but I guess I didn't expect the gap to be THAT far away...I was expecting 220K-320K, if Tressel at OSU makes 1 Mill i was expecting a MAC school to make 75% less not 82% less
tressel is obviously one of the top coaches in the nation, #1 in the big ten and possibly #1 n th country. le'ts try to compare the likes of Indiana, Northwestern and lower Big Ten teams to Akron rather than the #1 team in the nation.

No Offense but Frank "the Tank" Solich is pulling in 230k... and to be honest I think JD is a better coach than Solich. I still think the salary is low and after this stadium is built and we see more success it better be reworked or he'll be gone and fast.
If this is true then I was right in my assumption, JD should be making between $200 - $235. Especially if Frank Solich is making 220K, and he didn't win the conference, nor go to a bowl.