If Brookhart has another losing season next year..

InTheZone

Should JD be fired for a losing season in '07?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think having a losing season next year would be extremely disappointing and could spell the progress that's been made to fall apart a bit. But I dont think he should be fired because the school couldn't afford it and the progress he has made with this team has been good, although he would really need to prove it the next year or I think he would be on the hot seat. I think he is pretty far from the hot seat (even though many people seem to think he might be close to it), I really don't think he is even on a warm seat... He'll have another three years at Akron whether he's winning or losing.

He needs 5 years minimum before making any keep/fire decisions. College sports sucks now-a-days in that respect. Joe Novak at NIU took over a horrid program...worse than the 2-9 (at that time) Zips...and it took him 5 years to make it respectable. NIU had faith in the guy, and 10 years later he's taken them to two bowl games and some very big wins. I have a lot of respect for such patience and loyalty since the en vogue thing is canning your coach after two or three sub-par seasons regardless of the circumstances. And NIU's patience was rewarded.This will be JD's 3rd "true" recruiting class. Class #1 was assembled in 1 short month while he was also assembling a staff, so I throw that one away. By all indicators, this will be another top-rated class. And, the players on the depth chart will be predominately "his." This is the year to see some real progress.JD hasn't taken any severe shortcuts...he's redshirted most of his recruits and only dabbled in transfers and JUCOs. I'm sure it was tempting to sit some seniors in 2006 in favor of playing freshman...especially on the OL...but he's been building this program for the long-term. Stumbling into the MAC Championship last season was both a blessing and a curse. While it was a blast, it involved a lot of luck and gave us some, in hindsight, inflated expectations for 2006.It will be fun to see the competition for the open positions this upcoming season, and to see if JD's recruits are really as good as advertised. New OL. New QB. New DL's. But, lots of returning, proven skill at LB, DB and TE/WR. I'll with hold any predictions until the summer...but we should be in good shape. At least on paper it looks that way... ;) How many days until OSU?

It depends on how bad the losing is. 6-6 or better he keeps the job. Five wins with a young offensive line and a new QB and some new people on defense, maybe depending on how bad they look losing the games. Four wins or less, yes.

With the amount of talent we have already on the team and the next recruiting class coming in, it is pretty reasonable to expect a winning season, or at the very least a 6-6 season. If there are exceptional circumstances, such as injuries to multiple key players, then I am willing to make an exception. Last years schedule would be an example of an exception because travelling so many weeks in a row takes a toll on the students not only physically, but mentally and academically, too. Honestly, I like what JD is doing and would like to keep him around as long as we can. We need some kind of consistancy in UA athletic programs, and getting a new coach every 4-5 years and having to rebuild the program from scratch in the hopes of getting it right the first time is not the answer. JD still needs time to tinker with his system to see what works best.

It depends on how bad the losing is. 6-6 or better he keeps the job. Five wins with a young offensive line and a new QB and some new people on defense, maybe depending on how bad they look losing the games. Four wins or less, yes.
3-9 with a 51-3 loss to K.e.n.t and I'm probably updating my 1990-edition "Oust Faust" banner. ;)

:nono: if you fire him who in the HEdouble toothpicks do you think is going to come here?... this place WILL turn into another grave yard of coaches...the only way you get a quality coach in here is if JD leaves because he is SUCCESSFUL here... as frustrating as that may be, no top assistant or ...heaven forbid semi-established coach is going to come to a program that fires another losing coach...hope JD turns into an ALL AROUND coach,give him a couple years then decide...

There will always be another good assistant coach from a quality program willing to take on a losing situation. That being said, I don't want to lose JD. but, as a question for argument, how many years do you give a coach to turn a program around? Lee Owens was not a bad coach, however, i know for fact, that he had problems with his players. JD is young and needs to continure learning and we MUST give him our support.BUT WHEN IS ENOUGH, ENOUGH!

It amazes me how quickly people can turn on a coach. After the NC State win, everyone was counting the days till our coach was off to greener pastures. Now, I see a poll about when we should fire the guy??? CK hit the nail on the head. Even JD admits that last season's MAC Championship was "Ahead of Schedule". Was last season a disappointment, yes, but JD isn't going anywhere. We stuck with LO for 9 years. JD's recruiting efforts are going to be maturing this year and won't be boys among men anymore. I'm willing to give the guy 2 more seasons, no questions asked.

I haven't turned on anybody. I just made this poll out of curiosity, to gauge how far on the "hot seat" JD was. Geeeeeeeeeez.I've never been a huge Brookhart guy, and I'm a little cynical about some of his "top" recruiting classes, but I'm in no way advocating firing the guy unless next season is a complete disaster, like 4-8 or worse. JD still has my guarded support, I'm just not bustin nuts over the guy like some are after three so-so seasons with more talent on the field than there's ever been here.

It depends on how bad the losing is.  6-6 or better he keeps the job.  Five wins with a young offensive line and a new QB and some new people on defense, maybe depending on how bad they look losing the games.  Four wins or less, yes.
3-9 with a 51-3 loss to K.e.n.t and I'm probably updating my 1990-edition "Oust Faust" banner. ;)
51-3? I think I'd be more shocked about making a field goal then getting thrashed by Can't like that.

:nono: if you fire him who in the HEdouble toothpicks do you think is going to come here?
I was told by someone in the Athletic Department a couple of years ago that approximately 45 Division 1-A coaches applied for the position when JD got the job. My brother knows a guy with Ohio roots who is/was on the staff at Minnesota who applied for the position and didn't get it. There would be at least 45 apply again.

I am shocked at this poll/question. J.D. has been here for three years. In year one, he got Charlie to stay, beat Can't and we narrowly missed our first bowl bid thanks to Michigan State blowing a 21 point lead. He got Luke to transfer and dialed in his first good recruiting class. Successful first year.Year two, beat Can't, MAC Champs, first bowl appearance and some incredible come from behind victories. As Chris Berman said "its a great time to be a zip". Another good recruiting class follows. Unfortunately he loses a large majority of his staff.Year three, good showing at Penn State, come from behind victory at NC State. (Oh BTW, when did you ever see ESPN switch an Akron game from ESPN2 to ESPN during the middle of the game). First home game attendance 16K...sad. Harvey Named Freshman All-American. One other note - he brought in one of the top kicking recruits last year who got injured. If he plays and is as good as advertised year three could have been a lot different.Going in to year four, another good recruiting class is teed-up and J.D. gets contract extension (somebody values him). Next year may be rough start because we will be starting a first year QB, but there are some nice candidates to chose from (Jackson/Hakes). Lets hope we have another LaFevour ready to step in.So, I have to ask the questions - In the last 20 years, when has our football program looked better? Who could we get to do a better job?From the existing roster, here are our Freshman and Sophomores. Nice foundation!!! 26 Allen, Alex RB 6-0 203 So. Youngstown, Ohio (Ursuline)52 Alphonse, Michael LB 6-0 244 Fr. Miramar, Fla. (Miami Norland) 28 Anderson, Brandon DB 5-11 170 So. Dublin,Va. (Hargraves Military Academy) 78 Anderson, Zack OL 6-4 290 Fr. Lester, Pa. (Interboro) 53 Baker, Mickey LB 5-11 225 So. Quincy, Fla. (Dodge City CC) (East Gadsen) 47 Balaam, Al-Teric LB 6-1 228 Fr. New Brunswick, N.J. (New Brunswick) 51 Bates, Elliott OL 6-4 295 Fr. Houston, Pa. (Chartiers-Houston) 31 Bell, Matt DB 5-10 185 Fr. Columbus, Ohio (Westerville) 58 Benjamin, Jemall LB 6-1 225 So. Cleveland, Ohio (Glenville) 70 Brewster, Garrett OL 6-3 315 So. Harrisville, Pa. (Franklin) 80 Brown, Curtis WR 5-11 171 Fr. Belle Glade, Fla. (Glades Central) 92 Cline, Dantley DL 6-2 290 Fr. East Point, Ga. (Tri Cities) 27 Cobham, Wayne DB 6-2 190 Fr. Pembroke Pines, Fla. (Flanagan HS) 25 Cruz, Jose TE 6-5 250 Fr. Johnstown, Pa. (Bishop McCourt HS) 6 Davis, Delvin DB 6-0 174 Fr. Pembroke Pines, Fla. (Flanagan) 13 DeScott, DeAndre DB 6-0 185 Fr. Cleveland, Ohio (South) 23 Etienne, Rodney DB 6-2 190 Fr. Pompano Beach, Fla. (Blanche Ely) 86 Fife, Doug TE 6-4 250 So. Venetia, Pa. (Peters Township) 15 Flaherty, Brian TE 6-4 235 So. Stow, OH (Stow-Munroe Falls) 4 Fuqua, Stephon WR 6-1 200 So. Cleveland, Ohio (Glenville) 30 Grant, Kevin LB 6-2 245 So. Herndon, Va. (Herndon) 13 Hakes, Sean QB 6-3 200 Fr. Ft. Worth, Texas (Nolan Catholic HS) 61 Harclerode, Dan OL 6-2 330 So. Nile, Ohio (McKinley HS/Malone) 2 Harvey, David WR 5-11 160 Fr. Penn Hills, Pa. (Penn Hills) 16 Hildreth, Andy PK 6-0 185 So. Dayton, Ohio (Northmont HS) 77 Huebner, Keith OL 6-7 295 Fr. Pittsburgh, Pa. (Baldwin) 45 Iveljic, Igor PK 5-11 200 Fr. Mentor, Ohio (Mentor) 7 Jackson, Carlton QB 6-2 195 Fr. Pompano Beach, Fla. (Blanche Ely) 11 Jacquemain, Chris QB 6-2 211 Fr. Painesville, Ohio (Mentor) 21 Jones, Andre DB 5-11 183 So. Forestville, Md. (Forestville) 4 Jordan, Wes WR 5-7 170 Fr. Canal Winchester, Ohio (Canal Winchester) 46 Kabir, Amin DB 6-1 185 Fr. Warrensville, Ohio (Warrensville) 74 Kemme, Chris OL 6-6 290 So. Upper Arlington, Ohio (Upper Arlington) 3 Kennedy, Dennis RB 5-11 209 So. Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Stranahan, HS) 40 Laube, Evan DB 6-0 200 Fr. Richfield, Ohio (Revere) 62 Legger, Nick DL 6-2 245 So. Brunswick, Ohio (Brunswick) 18 Lindsay, Jermaine WR 6-1 165 Fr. Bowie, Md. (Forestville) 93 Lively, Eric DL 6-2 270 So. Gambrills, Md. (Dematha) 22 Magloire, Mitchell LB 6-1 217 So. Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Cardinal Gibbon) 33 McDaniel, Joe RB 5-11 220 So. Turtle Creek, Pa. (Woodland Hills) 35 McMillon, Bryant RB 5-10 195 Fr. Cincinnati, Ohio (Hughes Center) 56 McPherson, Clarence DL 6-3 255 So. Miami, Fla. (Miami Edison) 41 Morefield, Levon LB 5-9 220 Fr. Columbus, Ohio (Brookhaven) 19 Morris, Phillip RB 6-0 210 Fr. Columbus, Ohio (Miflin) 91 Pendleton, Wallace DL 6-1 310 Fr. Oak Park, Ill. (Fenwick) 48 Petit-Frere, Tevlin DL 6-3 210 Fr. Miami, Fla. (North Miami) 83 Poindexter, Merce TE 6-4 243 So. Ellwood City, Pa. (Lincoln) 82 Rajek, Viktor WR 6-4 216 Fr. Pezinok, Slovakia (J. Papanka) 34 Reed, Aaris RB 5-7 174 Fr. Waldorf, Md. (Westlake) 95 Robinson, Nate DL 6-5 315 Jr. Irvington, N.J. (Irvington HS/Rutgers) 87 Sandilands, Rich WR 6-1 180 Fr. New Philadelphia (New Philadelphia) 79 Sekinger, Jason OL 6-9 340 Fr. Columbus, Ohio (Westland HS/Minnesota) 85 Smith, Matthew WR 6-3 210 Fr. Edon, Ohio (Edon) 38 Stec, John P 5-9 180 Fr. Delray Beach, Fla. (Atlantic) (WV)/West Virginia) 65 Truax, Craig DL 6-4 255 Fr. Findlay, Ohio (Findlay) 32 Tuzze, Joe RB 5-11 225 Fr. Mayfield, Pa. (Lakeland) 71 Ward, Mike OL 6-3 300 Fr. Fairfax, Va. (St. John's College) 17 Williams, Brandon WR 6-1 177 So. Tampa, Fla. (Chamberlain) 54 Williams, Doug LB 6-2 234 So. Tampa, Fla. (Chamberlain) 75 Woods, Corey OL 6-5 255 Fr. Reading, Pa. (Exeter Township)

So, I have to ask the questions - In the last 20 years, when has our football program looked better?
The answer is that the program has never looked better. Not just in the past 20 years. Again, that's why I think JD has overwhelming support on this board and the poll. JD just needs to do a little clean up in spring ball to see who wants to be here and who doesn't want to be here and I think the program will have easily six wins next season. There is nothing wrong with running malcontents off the team.

Who could we get to do a better job?
Fire JD. Hire Cowher. He was rumored to go to NC State and we beat them!?!We could get his girls to transfer to the womens basketball team. He won't miss a game.Think of Bill's recruiting potential. :lol: Then I bet we could fill the rubber bowl.

I'm just a bit pessimistic. I don't care if it is Akron, Can't or any other school. We are looking at paper, and the last time I checked, paper does not play the games. The players do. Until we truly discover how good (or not ) these players are, I will try to keep an open mind and settle for 6-6.

Couple points:JD is a rookie HC. He has now tasted the good, the bad and the real bad. I'm betting he didn't like the later two, and will coach his ass off not to have any more of those. Give him a chance.He deserves, at the least, to have the chance to coach a full roster of his guys.I think he (and his original staff) got famous before he got good. I think now we will see him get good, real good............just my take.I like him. We're lucky to have a guy of his stature, experience and ability. Just now he's learning his trade............let's give it some time to blossom.That said however, no more fuds please..........we've seen enough of them to fill a lifetime (and not just his either)

Wow. This topic really generates some opinions.I want JD to be given time, but I don't want another 9-year period of settling for mediocrity, like we did with Lee Owens. The Faust situation was more understandable. He had to start the 1-A program from absolutely nothing, and we had no expectations at that point. Heck, we were the first school to even try to turn 1-A from 1-AA, and there was no how-to manual for how to get it done.This is a different time. We now have just as many scholarships to give as every other school in our division, and have been in this situation for quite a few years. We have great practice and training facilities, and people are saying that our recruiting classes have been top notch.The MAC is getting better across the board. Last year was a perfect indication. Now, JD needs to show that he is keeping pace. And unfortunately for him, winning a championship naturally raises expectations.

;) GP1..good comment...but if there were 45 others who applied and some of those apparently could be called more established or 'higher profile' than Brookhart...how did Brookhart and not one of those other 45 end up here...other than his obvious connection to the previous AD? not that Brookhart's reign may not turn out OK but one has to imagine that some of those other 45 had a deeper resume....just wondering