MAC removes divisions in Football starting 2024

Reslife4Life

• Reslife4Life changed the title to MAC removes divisions in Football starting 2024
1 hour ago, KangarooJake said:

Stupid move. I liked the divisions. Besides Miami is 10-2, Toledo is 11-1, I think the best teams in the conference are already the top dogs of their divisions. 

How about we move to 9 conference games, 4 crossover instead?

It works out perfect this year, but most commonly the MAC East in football is what the MAC West is in basketball. A 11-1 Toledo trying to get into the playoff and playing a 10-2 NIU is much preferred over the potential for playing a 7-5 MAC East champ.

My only compliant would be us not being in the same pod as Ohio, as I'd like to play them along with Kent every year.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KangarooJake said:

Stupid move. I liked the divisions. Besides Miami is 10-2, Toledo is 11-1, I think the best teams in the conference are already the top dogs of their divisions. 

How about we move to 9 conference games, 4 crossover instead?

I'd love 9 conference games. The Sun Belt and Big 10 both have 9. The MAC is a good league with entertaining games. Have some confidence in the product and play each other. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GP1 said:

I'd love 9 conference games. The Sun Belt and Big 10 both have 9. The MAC is a good league with entertaining games. Have some confidence in the product and play each other. 

I’m leaning toward this as well. The opportunity to foster another one or two yearly rivalry games. Add in a ‘challenge’ with the Sunbelt Conference & you’ve got a nice yearly schedule.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m leaning toward this as well. The opportunity to foster another one or two yearly rivalry games. Add in a ‘challenge’ with the Sunbelt Conference & you’ve got a nice yearly schedule.

We already have our rivalry. Schools only get one rivalry. I just think it makes for better competition and that makes the games more entertaining. 

If played right, which the MAC isn't capable of, it could give each MAC school an additional home game in the nice weather months. I know I'm being delusional about this and the conference leadership will use it to stuff in another week night game, but we can always dream. 

42 minutes ago, GP1 said:

We already have our rivalry. Schools only get one rivalry. I just think it makes for better competition and that makes the games more entertaining. 

If played right, which the MAC isn't capable of, it could give each MAC school an additional home game in the nice weather months. I know I'm being delusional about this and the conference leadership will use it to stuff in another week night game, but we can always dream. 

No way. the more rivalries the better.  We've got our primary rival in KSUcks which will always be #1.  We've also got a nice rivalry with OU.  We all (used) to get up for the OU game.  We used to hate Miami.  HATE.  The freaking Sweaters. I used to see "Muck Fiami," t-shirts being worn around the Info.

We've sucked for so long in football we're forgetting what more of these games used to feel like.

And It'd be great if we could cultivate a secondary rivalry with Toledo... another natural rivalry in the making which we already enjoy in basketball.  UT's really the one I'm looking at.

A yearly schedule featuring

The Bobkittens

Fiami

Buffalo

Toledo 

KSUcks

And I'm looking forward to a lot of games... rivalry games... games that when you lose you feel a bit sick to your stomach and it takes you a week to get over it... having to wait an entire calendar year to make things right again in the world.

Edited by Blue & Gold

It's also costing history at the expense of following the trends of CFP. Which, all this conference re-alignment mayhem has already ruined so much. Akron is a bit of a newcomer to the MAC, but teams like Kent, OU, Miami, BG, have been playing each other annually for about 70-80 years now. Now, that will be gone. I was hoping to MAC would be the outright rebel of the CFB world by straying away from expansion (we've done great with that), and sticking to the formula that's worked for nearly 30 years. Call me stubborn and old school, if you wish! Lol

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:32 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I know that playing P5 schools brings in a lot of revenue for the football program, but it would be nice to get at least six home games per year. Not saying we need seven like most P5’s, but not five either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I know that playing P5 schools brings in a lot of revenue for the football program, but it would be nice to get at least six home games per year. Not saying we need seven like most P5’s, but not five either.

But the Akrons and CMU’s and Buffalo’s make money by prostituting their teams out to top 20 teams every year. Do you think putting a competitive team on the field might draw MORE fans??? You’re kidding, right?

Edited by Spin
Fat finger error

14 minutes ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

Winning hopefully leads to that, but I understand your point because Toledo and Miami don’t draw much more than us. Yes, need the money. I just want more than five home games per year.

Your request isn't unreasonable or unobtainable.