2024 Women's soccer

I am so hoping that all of my negativity the past few seasons has left my body, and I can enjoy women's soccer this season.  I have been a huge critic of Coach Simonetti, but it sure looks like she's worked very hard since the end of 2023 to make this program work.  She's doing the hard part, and the incoming class, at least on paper, promises to add talent in the right places.  We're still in Florida, so I didn't get to see either of the exhibitions, but it sounds like they played well against Dayton and St. Bonaventure.  My "goal!" is to get behind the women and not be such a pain in the butt re: Coach.  She's showing she's willing to put in the time to make the squad a winning one, and that's a lot for me.  Go Women's Soccer!  Go Zips!

• Like 3

Way to go!  Starting the season with a W is a great start, plus it was a road win, plus it was a come-from-behind win.  Tried to watch, but the lack of cameras made it painful, but both goals seemed to be blazers - well struck with force and to the proper side of the keeper.  Great job to the women and coaches...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

great start to the season....

Coach Simonetti was handed a pile of smelly stuff in her first year.

She is a hard worker.......and I am happy that the players and coaches are seeing some good results.

go, Lady Zips

• Like 5

So excited by the recent outcomes for the women's soccer team!  We went to both the Oakland and the Wright State matches, (and unfortunately came back and watched the men vs. Ohio State after dinner).  There are marked signs of improvement, both of the players themselves and the strategies/tactics employed by the staff.  And the new recruits seem to be fitting in and having a level of talent above past teams.  Two thigs that has stood out to me:

Their resilience - they have bounced back from deficits, where in the past going down a goal was the death knell for the Zips.

And their team work.  Both goals I witnessed were a cut above past because they were actual plays...  both goals were assisted, the flow of the attack was spot on, and they converted.  Sure, there's a lot of things needing improvement, but the early results are very positive.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I met the women's coach at a Zips golf outing in June. I'd hire her to do anything. She seems like a great leader. I asked her a few questions that were interesting to me, but maybe not to her, and she gave me very well-thought-out, detailed answers.

I asked her why the women's team hadn't been able to ride the coattails of the men's program and she basically said they are two completely different, mutually exclusive entities. 

I asked how she recruits, and she said the best tool she has is the School of Nursing. The women on the team are all very academically oriented and the top notch nursing program at UA is a big asset.

Very impressive, focused woman. I would expect her to do some outstanding things in her career.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Wonderful win for the women today on Senior Day!  Not sure why they chose to do it at an earlier game than the final one, but it was a beautiful day and a great way to end the extended weekend in town.  A women's win Thursday night, football win last night, and this today, 1-0 over St. Francis.  (the "other" game yesterday won't be mentioned).  The women looked a little tired, maybe the heat?  St. Francis out-shot us, and our GK Penelope Cuewen (oh, I give up!) was excellent, but the team figured out a way to put pressure on late and poked one in.  5-0-2!  The MAC grinder will start this week, so we'll get a better picture, but they are not going to be an easy mark.  And...I may have been wrong about our coach, I'm not ashamed to admit.  Damn, I hate being wrong...but yet glad I was!

• Like 5

@TennZip, I hate to throw this to you, but you always do such a nice job filling us in on how the Men's team stands in relation to their conference foes.  Do you have thoughts on how the Women's team stacks up vs. MAC teams going into conference play, based on the non-conference play so far?  Is 5-0-2 going to play out to success in the MAC?  (I'm hoping it does!).

Or anyone else have thoughts?

Also, I looked back as far as 2007 when our daughter was on campus to see women's records, and there was never a team that went undefeated more than 3 games to start a season!  Best start in program history?  I believe it is.

Edited by zippy-claws
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

@TennZip, I hate to throw this to you, but you always do such a nice job filling us in on how the Men's team stands in relation to their conference foes.  Do you have thoughts on how the Women's team stacks up vs. MAC teams going into conference play, based on the non-conference play so far?  Is 5-0-2 going to play out to success in the MAC?  (I'm hoping it does!).

Or anyone else have thoughts?

Also, I looked back as far as 2007 when our daughter was on campus to see women's records, and there was never a team that went undefeated more than 3 games to start a season!  Best start in program history?  I believe it is.

I am happy to have the distraction.  I have spent way too much time over the past few days being upset over Jared's blame throwing comments after the Temple fiasco.

I will probably post 2 or 3 answers.  I will start here with the first 3 opponents on the lady zips Mid-American conference schedule.

I have not found any common opponents yet for the lady zips among their first 3 opponents.

Just so everyone can have the info in one place, let's start with the MAC preseason poll for the ladies.  2of the first 3 games are going to be very tough

1. Western Michigan

2. Ball State (3rd MAC game for zips)

3. Ohio

4. Can't State

5. Buffalo (zips 1st game on Thursday)

6. Bowling Green

7. N. Illinois

8. Toledo

9. Miami

10. E. Michigan

11. Akron Lady Zips

12.  Central Michigan (opponent #2 in the MAC)

Let's first review....what the lady zips have done so far this year

Does everyone realize that they have not allowed a goal in their last 5 games?

and that they have only allowed 2 goals all year?

Akron zips 5-0-2

Iona     2-1

E. Illinois   1-1

Oakland 1-0

Wright State 1-0

Robert Morris  0-0

Cleveland St   1-0

St. Francis    1-0

1st Mac Opponent

Buffalo - picked to finish 5th in the league

they have started 5-0-2 and they look strong

St. Bonaventure    1-0

Pitt (was ranked #7 at time of game)   - 2-1 win for Buffalo

Cornell    1-1

Canisius   1-0

Colgate    3-0

Colorado College Tigers 1-1 tie  ...(not familiar with that college in Colorado Springs)

N. Colorado 2-0

2nd Mac Opponent

Central Michigan - picked to finish last ...12th in the MAC

2-4-1 record...they have played a tough schedule

Kentucky           0-2

Cincinnati          2-1

TCU (received votes )    0-3

#14 Texas                        0-2

S. Dakota                         1-1

Wisc Green Bay              0-1

Purdue Fort Wayne        6-1

3rd MAC opponent

Ball State - picked to be very strong...2nd in the league

5-2 record...have scored 13 goals in last 2 games)

Purdue Fort Wayne         4-0

Indiana (receive votes)   1-2

Butler                                0-3

Michigan                           2-1

Austin Peay                       2-1

Queens                              7-1

IU Indy                               6-1

• Thanks 2

Let's look next at the teams predicted to finish 1, 3 , 4 and 6 in the league

there are some common opponents that the lady zips have played....(I will try to highlight those)

Oakland has played 3 MAC teams shown below

Western Michigan

picked to finish first in the league

3-1-3 record

N. Kentucky        3-0

#24 Iowa             1-1

Marquette           3-0

Creighton            0-3

Wisconsin           1-1

Det. Mercy         3-0

DePaul                1-1

Ohio Bobcats

picked to finish 3rd in the league

5-1-1 record...very impressive against zip common opponent

Butler                  1-1     (this is good result for Ohio as Butler defeated Ball State (picked 2nd in league )   3-0

N. Kentucky        4-0

#8 Mich. St          0-3    (item of interest ...Grace Jackson played 26 minutes for spartans...yes, she has a brother named Will)

Valparaiso           5-0

Marshall              2-0

W. Kentucky       2-1

Oakland               7-0      (akron def. Oakland 1-0)

Kent State

picked 4th in league

Cleveland State           2-1   (akron beat the Vikings 1-0)

Youngstown St             2-2

Oakland                         4-0    (again, akron won 1-0)

Colgate                          3-2

Duquesne                      2-4

#21 Kentucky                 1-3

Bowling Green

picked 6th in the league

3-2-1 record

Detroit Mercy                  3-1

Findlay                             3-0

Duquesne                         0-2

Loyola Chicago                0-1

Cleveland State                2-0    (again, Zips 1-0)

Oakland                            0-0     )again, zips 1-0)     

I am going to take an hour or two break....before looking up records for the teams predicted to finish 7,8.9 and 10 in the league

the teams picked to finish 1 thru 6 in the league had a combined non- conference record of 24 wins , 8 losses and 8 ties

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

OK, back at it......

lets look at the teams projected to finish 7 thru 10

3 of those teams also played Oakland....you all probably have Akron's score against Oakland imprinted in your brain...so I will not highlight the comparison score

@Z.I.P. was kind enough to share via facebook message...the historical significance of Colorado College in women's soccer.  Colorado College twice lost in the NCAA finals to UNC.    @Z.I.P. and @fknbuflobo are both much better soccer historians than I am.   Perhaps the 2 great minds can grace us with a prediction for how women's soccer will do in the MAC???   PLEASE  !!!

Northern Illinois

picked 7th in pre-season poll

impressive win over a team that the lady zips tied

6-1-1 record

DePaul                          0-0     (DePaul also played to 1-1 tie with league favorite Western Michigan)

St. Thomas (MN)          4-1

Southern IN                   6-1

Oakland                         1-0

#9 Notre Dame              0-4

E. Illinois                         3-0   (lady zips played to 1-1 tie with E. Illinois in 2nd game of season)

Illinois St                          1-0

Valparaiso                        2-1

Toledo

picked 8th in league

3-3-1

IU Indy                                 1-1

Cincinnati                            2-3

Northwestern                     0-1

Detroit Mercy                     1-0

Loyola Chicago                  1-2

Oakland                              1-0

Ohio Dominican                  3-0

Miami

picked 9th in league

4-1-2

Eastern Kentucky              4-0

Tennessee Tech                2-2

Indiana State                      0-2

Northern Kentucky            3-1

#21 South Carolina             0-0  ...I thought that was an impressive result for a team to picked to finish 9th

Southern Indiana                2-0

Chicago State                     4-0

Eastern Michigan

picked 10th in the league

4-3 record

Oakland                            1-0

UIC                                    3-2

Youngstown State             2-0     (YSU had played to 2-2 tie with Kent State (picked 4th in league)

Purdue Fort Wayne           1-0

Cincinnati                           1-3

Valparaiso                         0-1

Loyola Chicago                0-1

I am very impressed by the non conference records of the 12 teams.  I had done a combined record for the teams picked to finish 1 thru 6.    The very knowledgeable and all around good guy @NYC ZIP kidded me when I did too much math in another post.....so I will refrain from doing more math.

Best wishes to the lady Zips.....as they begin their journey.....thru a tough MAC schedule

• Thanks 3

@TennZip  Thanks so much for all of this work, it is amazing!  And so informative.  I have to agree with @MDZip, that the MAC will be a challenge, hence my questions on the field's non-conference slate.  My prediction, or hope is for a top 8 finish and making the MAC tourney.  Good Luck Zips!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Sara Bower doing a nice job in goal - Zips have two solid goalkeepers in Bower and Penelope Cuirinier. Also of note they Zips have only one senior on the pitch at this moment. Future looks good. 

Future is bright.

• Like 1