An Awful FB Year in the Making

Blue & Gold

Looking ahead to next football season, I think we're in BIG trouble...I think we have a Big 10 caliber talent and depth at these positions (okay, the Big 10 excluding OSU and Michigan, because they are head and shoulders above the rest of the Big 10):-Running Backs = Big 10 caliber talent and depth-Wide Receivers = Big 10 caliber talent and depth-Linebackers = Big 10 caliber talent and depth-Defensive Backs = Big 10 caliber talent and depthHowever...-We will be breaking in 3 literally BRAND NEW QBs. 2 redshirt sophomores and 1 redshirt freshman!!!-Our OL looks like it may be a serious weakness!-Our DL is virtually non-existent due to academic casualties!I think our downright gluttonous wealth of talent at RB, WR, LB & DB could very well all go for naught due to a green QB & awful line play - for the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage.In fact, I'm gonna toss out for discussion the possibility of us only winning 2 or 3 games all year. (I think we could beat Buffalo, Temple and BGSU while sleepwalking - but even Can't State tore us up last year.) Naturally, I hope I'm wrong, but can you build an intelligent argument against this? Good luck!

First of all, I think it is way too early to tell how the DL and OL are going to perform. If JD can solidify those two units before September, he's done a remarkable job based on what he had to work with...Let me add to the thread this way, for the purpose of discussion...Here's my ranking (excluding special teams) of the different units on this team, highest to lowest.1) SecondaryThe way it looks now, we can go two-deep with some great players at all positions.2) LinebackersGrant, Stokes, and Mackey are great football players, and some of the most experienced players on this team. If guys like Williams, McNeal, and Balaam can contribute this year, we'll have some nice depth too.3) ReceiversSome good depth here also. I'd rank this as the #2 unit on the team, except that I noticed during the spring game that without the starters in there, nobody else was capable of getting any separation from our DB's. I'm looking for Arthur to have a solid year if the QB can get him the ball. Experienced two-deep lineup at TE also. I'm HOPING that by the end of the season, I can say that this is the #1 unit on the team. But some other things really need to fall into place for this to happen. 4) Running BacksThe return of Alex Allen could really solidify this unit. Walker and Kennedy are good, but I think we still lack the size back there to truly generate a power running game. I'm excited to see what Johnson can do once he's eligible.After this, we have virtually NO experience. That scares me. 5) QuarterbackAn inexperienced, but talented group. If we use them right, these guys can do enough to win us some games this season. But I am still concerned that they will make enough mistakes to cost of us a couple of games that we would have otherwise won. 6) Defensive LineNate Robinson better live up to his potential, or we're in trouble. And even if he does, we're still relying on some very unproven talents on either side of him. I'm staying optimistic since the rest of the defensive unit may be able to make up for our deficiencies here. 7) Offensive LineThis could make or break our season. How well did we recruit in this area over the last couple of years? How quickly will our coaching staff identify the best 5 guys to have up front? And how fast will they gel as a unit? If this unit falls flat, look for us to be able to win only about 3 or 4 games this year.

i think the d-line will be fine just no depth. we have guys who may not have started but saw pleanty of pt. if we have some injuries there things could get ugly though.what scare me is the new qb,and o-line. we have plenty of winnable games.there are plent of winnable games on the schedule. i think the occ we will be lucky to go 2-2.

Two years ago, all the hand wringers came on this board and said we would do nothing without Frye, and we went to the MACC, won the MAC and went to a bowl game.Last year, we were way overconfident and it was a miserable year with the only bright spots being beating NCST and Miami for the first time in a long time.I don't know what to think about the upcoming year. I have a feeling we are going to see a much different offense than we saw the past two years... or that was even on display during the public's viewings of spring practice. I like our chances with a more mobile QB with an inexperienced offensive line (a QBs arm strength, mobility, accuracy under pressure and intelligence go a long way to cover OL mistakes), but I still have the same distaste for the 3-3-5 defense that we play. The big unknown in the MAC is always the quality of the rest of the league because it changes so quickly. I happen to think the MAC is on a down swing, but we'll see next year.The fun thing about sports is that you get to play the games to see who is good or not. We will have 12 games to see if we are good or not.

I don't believe the defensive is the problem. And we'd be in trouble if we played a 3-4 defense with our lack of DL's anyway. It is true that we probably didn't see much of this year's actual offensive play calling during the spring game. For obvious reasons.I'm hoping for a surprising year as well. I'm just not very optimistic right now. But didn't CMU win the MAC last year with a freshman quarterback? I guess anything can happen in our league.

I asked this question a little while back and don't believe I got any response -- so I'll ask again -- aren't the people on this board the same people that tell me year in and year out what an amazing recruiter JD is? If he's amazing and our recruits have really been that good -- we shouldn't be worrying about anything and this team should be pretty damn good. If not -- maybe those letter of intent signing day rankings aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

I have a feeling we are going to see a much different offense than we saw the past two years... or that was even on display during the public's viewings of spring practice.  I like our chances with a more mobile QB with an inexperienced offensive line (a QBs arm strength, mobility, accuracy under pressure and intelligence go a long way to cover OL mistakes)
With the mobile QB's, do you foresee an option attack as a major component of our offense this season?

Two years ago, all the hand wringers came on this board and said we would do nothing without Frye, and we went to the MACC, won the MAC and went to a bowl game.
I love going back and looking at the threads prior to '05. I said I thought we'd win the MAC and people thought I was crazy :D .For this season, I'm saying Jacquemain will be the starting QB, and people think I'm even nuttier. I'm going to withhold any predictions for the season until I know who exactly is going to still be on this team come fall camp and who takes the summer as seriously as they should.

Interesting thoughts....Not sure if you'll see an option with an inexperienced offensive line that has to string out their blocks, as you need to do in an option attack.But I did say that I think we have the WR talent to run a 5-Receiver set, which allows for quick passes on slant routes, and virtually eliminates the deficiencies of a weak offensive line. Big Zip...that's a legitmate question. With about 3 straight years of having the best, or one of the best recruiting classes in the MAC, you would think that we should have no worries about having great players filling the voids left at every position.I guess this year will really tell us whether those classes were as talented on the field as they seemed on paper.

Last year at the golf outing I was told by one of the assistants the Jacquemain was in the lead for the No. 2. Something happened between then and the beginning of the season -- it'll be interesting to see who the starting QB is to say the least. If things work out with the QB -- it would nice considering this question would then be answered for the minimum next three years.

I asked this question a little while back and don't believe I got any response -- so I'll ask again -- aren't the people on this board the same people that tell me year in and year out what an amazing recruiter JD is? If he's amazing and our recruits have really been that good -- we shouldn't be worrying about anything and this team should be pretty damn good. If not -- maybe those letter of intent signing day rankings aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Ok...I'll respond:It isn't only people on this board who've rated our last couple recruiting classes very highly. It has been pretty much every national recruiting service and NCAA recruiting publication. In an incredibly short amount of time, the class of 2006 crashed pretty hard. Maybe half of the names we saw on signing day are still with the team? Overall, it doesn't take any Doctoral candidates to figure out that our recruiting of defensive lineman 2004-2006 was fool's gold.Looking at our offensive line, it isn't bad recruiting that put us where we are now, it is senior graduation and redshirting of the incoming freshman. Andy Alleman, a JD recruit (via transfer) will likey be drafted within the first three rounds this coming weekend. I think our line will be fine this season. Not perfect, but by the time the MAC season rolls around we'll be pretty good. Overall JD OL Recruiting Grade: Unknown. Lee Owens' OL recruits lasted until 2006. Put a gun to my head and I'd say B-, since I like Kemme and Alleman, and I like the potential of the youngsters who'll be getting a chance to play this fall like Ward, Woods, Simkovich and Anderson. Retention of OL's has been good.Quarterback? Again, it is Luke's graduation that makes the position a question mark for 2007. Not the lack of talent JD and staff recruited to fill his shoes. Warts and all, I think Luke left the U of A the schools #2 all time passer and took us to a bowl game. Not exactly a "bust" recruit. QB Overall JD QB Recruiting Grade: B-. Getsy put up big numbers and got an invite to the NFL combine. That's not too shabby. I am sure one of the 3 guys fighting for the 2007 job will be fine. Maybe 2 of them?WR? JD recruit David Harvey is the best WR in the MAC...if he wants to be. Lindsay looks very good. Look out for Vince Hill in 2007 too. Overall JD QB Recruiting Grade: B-. I still haven't seen a 1-2 punch like Schifino/Bailey or Cherry + Irvin or Sparks. Hopefully Harvey gets his act together and another threat emerges to complement him. Too much "hoping' to grade higher than B-.Maybe I'll finish tomorrow...gotta get back to work. :wave:

"In an incredibly short amount of time, the class of 2006 crashed pretty hard. Maybe half of the names we saw on signing day are still with the team? Overall, it doesn't take any Doctoral candidates to figure out that our recruiting of defensive lineman 2004-2006 was fool's gold."Hmmm, If I said that you would say I was giving false information and attack me.And that these guys were still going to make the team.Congrats on seeing the truth. :cheers: Now bash me for saying that. :thumb:

How many times can you spin that record Bucknut? :unsure:I predict our OL is better this year.
Point taken.My reason for saying that was because whenever I mentioned that in the past, I was attacked and told I was giving bad information. It looks like I wasn'tI haven't mentioned anything on here in a long time about it.I won't in the future either. I wasn't being sarcastic, although I know it sounds that way.I was glad that the person that always attacked me, finally stops defending the recruiting.Recruiting classes aren't really graded on signing day. They are graded a few years down the road. So far, we haven't shown that much.Hopefully this past class changes that. I think it will.

I have a feeling we are going to see a much different offense than we saw the past two years... or that was even on display during the public's viewings of spring practice.  I like our chances with a more mobile QB with an inexperienced offensive line (a QBs arm strength, mobility, accuracy under pressure and intelligence go a long way to cover OL mistakes)
With the mobile QB's, do you foresee an option attack as a major component of our offense this season?
"Major" part....no. Part of the offense.....yes.

I predict our OL is better this year.
I think you are right. They players may not be better, but a more mobile QB mixed with an option type attack at times and they will at least look better.Think about the Can't State game last year. Can't State does not have that great of an offensive line (they did have big athletic kids though), but they ran all over us and opened up the defense for a below average passing QB to complete some passes down field. The option type offense they run creates double team blocks at the point of attack and leaves at least one guy unblocked to option off of. Double teams and options off of unblocked guys make an OL look really good. It's nothing more than a numbers game.

I hope the OL is better also. And if it really is better, then I would have the following question....Was JD keeping his Senior OL's in the games late last season out of respect for them being Seniors and 3- years starters? If so, then in my opinion he wasn't helping the team as much as he could. Either that, or these freshman have developed VERY VERY quickly over the off season.

I hope the OL is better also. And if it really is better, then I would have the following question....Was JD keeping his Senior OL's in the games late last season out of respect for them being Seniors and 3- years starters? If so, then in my opinion he wasn't helping the team as much as he could. Either that, or these freshman have developed VERY VERY quickly over the off season.
That's what you call "building a program", you build for the future if you know that it's not your year, I think JD knew last year wasn't going to be "their year" so they redshirted some players and let them get even better before putting them out there. That's how you get your program to grow and become stronger is by recruiting talent and then developing it before throwing them into the fire.Just my opinion, or at least that would be my strategy.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope the OL is better also.  And if it really is better, then I would have the following question....Was JD keeping his Senior OL's in the games late last season out of respect for them being Seniors and 3- years starters?  If so, then in my opinion he wasn't helping the team as much as he could.  Either that, or these freshman have developed VERY VERY quickly over the off season.
That's what you call "building a program", you build for the future if you know that it's not your year, I think JD knew last year wasn't going to be "their year" so they redshirted some players and let them get even better before putting them out there. That's how you get your program to grow and become stronger is by recruiting talent and then developing it before throwing them into the fire.Just my opinion, or at least that would be my strategy.
Man i hope you are right!!