Seating change in the JAR

This is my opinion only. I did NOT hear this from anyone. This is what I want.I say a good way to make the JAR a more college environment is to make the one side of blue seats (across from the player’s bench) the student section. Any student can sit there, even if you are not an AK-Rowdy. If anyone has season tickets in those sections just put them over to the other side behind the team benches. This way we could get more students closer to the floor and that would make it louder. Also make the first game of the year a Thursday night game. Make it fraternity night so the first game will be packed and everyone will enjoy themselves and come back the next game. For the 2nd game have someone donate T-Shirts. Last time I checked one of the richest NBA players is a Zips fan. I’m sure if coach D would ask him to give 4000 T-Shirts out he would say yes. Have the LBJ logo on it and the zips logo on it. It would benefit both sides.Let’s post some more thoughts on way to pack the JAR.Fear the Roo!

I agree...I've said for the past two seasons that the students should have the side behind the benches...Regular season ticket holders can have the one lower half and upper half of blue seats...But this will never happen, because the U sells so many of those seats...Many of the season ticket holders buy eight seats and only use two tickets per game...An on-line "Zips Ticket Exchange" would be nice for season ticket holders to use when they know that they are not coming and they can sell their tickets which would put fans in those empty blue seats.

This is my opinion only. I did NOT hear this from anyone. This is what I want.I say a good way to make the JAR a more college environment is to make the one side of blue seats (across from the player’s bench) the student section. Any student can sit there, even if you are not an AK-Rowdy. If anyone has season tickets in those sections just put them over to the other side behind the team benches. This way we could get more students closer to the floor and that would make it louder. Also make the first game of the year a Thursday night game. Make it fraternity night so the first game will be packed and everyone will enjoy themselves and come back the next game. For the 2nd game have someone donate T-Shirts. Last time I checked one of the richest NBA players is a Zips fan. I’m sure if coach D would ask him to give 4000 T-Shirts out he would say yes. Have the LBJ logo on it and the zips logo on it. It would benefit both sides.Let’s post some more thoughts on way to pack the JAR.Fear the Roo!
you cant have the LBJ logo on it because LBJ is actually a division on Nike, and the University is endorsed by Adidas. It would be cool if they were able to get him to provide somthing for the fans who did show up.

timmyboy..... not all of the shirts that are thrown out at games are adidas.The Ak-Rowdy shirts are not adidas.
I know that, but they also dont have the LBJ symbol on them. Do you think Nike would like for him to put his name (logo) on a shirt that says Akron Zips when Akron is endorsed by adidas. Or do you think adidas would be very happy if they(akron) did give out shirts that said LBJ on them after the way he did them when he left STV and decided to sign with nike?

I'd personally love to see one of the blue sections given to students...however, I see four things standing in the way of that. 1. Money - no way UA takes away the mass amounts of money they receive from the alumni to sit in those seats. Maybe if they had the students pay for the season seats...which leads to #2. 2. Not enough students come to the games - Maybe it was because of the much-debated t-shirt rule...maybe it was because Mack Rhoades sold out his students for the Nevada game...maybe it was a variety of things. But for whatever reason, students didn't show up last year. The sections were full/near full for two games - Can't and Senior Night. And we're going to ask them for more seating? 3. This idea has already been proposed to the Athletic Department. And they swiftly denied consideration of the plan. We do have new leadership in the Athletic Department, but that leads to #4.4. Mack Rhoades won't respond to your e-mail suggestion. I've written him, others have written him...never even got back a "Hey, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions"...nothing. Personally, I'd be shocked to see him even look into an idea like this.

I like the idea of an on-line ticket exchange. I wonder if it would work.Other than that, nothing will change. Those lower seats are the most valuable, and they've been sold in large bunches, mostly to corporate interests, since the JAR opened back when I was a student. I would like to see one section (behind the visiting bench, preferrably) be handed over to students.Speaking of student sections, I'm still baffled that they didn't let you guys sit down closer to the court during the MAC title game at the Q. I'm assuming all of those seats were set up as the more expensive reserved seats, even the ones behind that basket that nobody was sitting in. It just surprises me that they did not designate an area of the lower bowl for students.

After last season's Greek Night at the JAR being the last home game of the season, I questioned the Greek leadership that "planned" the event. Apparently, it was mostly the Athletic Dept's doing. Having Greeks at games definitely brings student attendance up. If you get them interested early in the season they will bring 10 of their friends if not their entire chapter plus independents too. GET 'EM EARLY, THEY'LL COME BACK WITH MORE.

4. Mack Rhoades won't respond to your e-mail suggestion.  I've written him, others have written him...never even got back a "Hey, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions"...nothing.  Personally, I'd be shocked to see him even look into an idea like this.
Boy that really sucks, it's quite appalling actually. At least when I wrote to Bobinski back in the day I got a courteous thank you letter in return. If he's too busy or uninterested to respond personally he should at least have a staffer do it. Sounds like we need to start directing some (tactful) correspondence to MR's bosses office and let them know this won't cut it.

No way any reserved seats go the students:1.) The Zips are a hot ticket now, and they University needs the ensuing money from those ducats.2.) With rare exception, the students have not filled their existing seats.There should be more lower-arena seats available for students...but the JAR seating is woefully inadequate and it just isn't possible.Hey, back in the mid-80's the University kicked ALL students to the upper level and sold the lower end seats as "reserved" to the general public. It could be, and has been worse.

I know that Mike Thomas used to respond to e-mails as well.  I don't believe I have ever sent one to Rhodes, so I can't say what my experience has been.
Ok - you guys forced me...Last year I sent Mack and Hunter a suggestion to change the "ZASF" to the "Z-Fund." No reply.A couple weeks later I get a University donation request in the mail with the "Z-Fund" name front-and-center!A week or so later I spoke to Gary Bogue on an unrelated topic and he thanked me for the idea. But I never got an acknoledgement from Mack or Hunter.I've sent the University other stuff too. Helpful heads-up to University Athletic Marketing when local radio stations are playing the wrong promos, etc. Never a response.The previous administration always gave a "thanks." Subsequently our board always had a great, mutually benificial relationship with the University. I've quit sending the University anything. I don't think thay care, so why should I.BTW: Mack shouldn't waste his time with me. Thomas never did. But anyone else "below" Mack should learn the merits of the Outlook "REPLY" icon.

A week or so later I spoke to Gary Bogue on an unrelated topic and he thanked me for the idea. But I never got an acknoledgement from Mack or Hunter.
Hey Captain, I received a nice phone call once from Gary Bogue. He was very responsive and helpful. Looks like he hit the road. I don't see his name anywhere in athletics. Doing a quick google I did find him in the law school at UA. So now Mack has lost the two fund raisers that Mike Thomas had hired. There is still an opening in athletic development for an Assistant Director under some new guy, Jeremiah Dickey. Word is Dickey is from UTEP, same as Mack.No announcement on the new stadium, new people raising money... HMMM makes me wonder if they are falling behind on raising money for the stadium????

Captain and All,Gary Bogue is a total class act. He could not stand working in the atmosphere Mac created. Uniformly, the guys Mac has brought in have not been equal to the ones they are replacing. There has not been a spirit of cooperation or respect within the athletic dept. It starts with Mac. He doesn't solicit advice or opinions. He has his own ideas and he ideologically inflexible. There is no espirit-de-corps in athletics administration and that spills over in how they treat a Zip public that seeks to help and feel involved.Guys like Gary, who thrive when working toward a common vision, have been pushed aside by attitudes of exclusion, arrogance and insecurity. The common Zip fan is not seen as a constituency that should be served. rather they are seen as a means to an ends. Therefore, they are ultimately seen as something to be used but not appreciated.Mac seems to have a strength in picking and taking care of coaches. He deserves credit for that. Unfortunately he seems exceedingly short on energizing the inate talent/passion on his staff and in the Zip followers. If there is good news it is that Gary, and some others, would consider coming back to athletics with different leadership. A VP at UA told me that senior administration is aware of the low morale. There is no promise to correct it but they are closely watching the situation.Personally, I think there is better athletic leadership out there than Mac. Most of the positives I see with the athletic program have been started by Bobinski or Thomas.

Gary B :thumb: I just hope he wasn't the end of the line for a pretty good group of Business Agents.
I agree.Pat Kreger and Gary Bogue made a good team. Pat always had his eye on his next job, but Gary was committed to UA. Both brought a level of maturity to a position that requires a mature touch. A lot of people didn't like what they did with parking last year, but everyone got taken care of that need to be taken care of. I think Mike Waddell had a lot to do with stiring up some of that from afar though because he and Pat didn't see eye to eye, and some of you were more than willing and stupid enough to take the bait. It was really the type of sleazy thing I didn't think Mike would get involved with, but he did....so did his old interns. Makes me glad he is no longer here. Back to the main point.What I think we need as a leader of Development is someone who is older, but not old. Gary was really the perfect guy after Pat left. He worked the phones getting people involved better than anyone in the past....by far. The sad thing is that Gary seemed to have a very simple, but what I believe to be effective, plan for developing alumni support and building dononr dollars. Now that he is no longer working for athletics, we are off to Plan 958 in developing alumni and donor support. Time would have proven Gary right and he was willing to put the time in.In a couple of years, Mack and his crew will be gone and we will be off to Plan 959 in developing alumni and donor support.One other point that is basically a note to Dr. Proenza. Take the Athletic Development position away from the Athletic Department and give it to the Development Department where adults can supervise it. By doing so, it eliminates the ongoing turnover associated with the change in Athletic Department staff we seem to see every 2-4 years. Donors like to see the same person over and over if they like him. Donors liked Gary, there was no good reason to force him out.Have a nice day! :cheers:

A lot of people didn't like what they did with parking last year, but everyone got taken care of that need to be taken care of. I think Mike Waddell had a lot to do with stiring up some of that from afar though because he and Pat didn't see eye to eye, and some of you were more than willing and stupid enough to take the bait.
Nope. Sorry. Kreiger was a retard - The epitome of a University-world, lifer, ladder-climber who was 100% out of touch with the real world. To blame Kreiger's inept decisions on Waddell is laughable.All I have to say regarding this topic.

4. Mack Rhoades won't respond to your e-mail suggestion.  I've written him, others have written him...never even got back a "Hey, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions"...nothing.  Personally, I'd be shocked to see him even look into an idea like this.
Boy that really sucks, it's quite appalling actually. At least when I wrote to Bobinski back in the day I got a courteous thank you letter in return. If he's too busy or uninterested to respond personally he should at least have a staffer do it. Sounds like we need to start directing some (tactful) correspondence to MR's bosses office and let them know this won't cut it.
When I was in college I had some ideas for the athletic department I wanted to share with Bobinski. I was just an ignorant punk kid, but I meant well. I sent him a letter with some of my ideas. He actually gave me a call and invited me into his office one day. We talked UA sports for about 45 minutes. I'm certain I didn't enlighten him on anything, but the fact he took an hour out of his day to talk to a young punk Zips fan was pretty admirable. It's a shame to hear that our current athletic director won't even respond to a freakin' email. :(

mike thomas was a dick. he was successful in the programs he started in turning this school around i will admit that. you guys are looking at this from a fan's perspective. yes there should be an e-mail at least acknowledging that they received your e-mail, however to call mack a bad ad i think is too far. he's here for the athletes and coaches trying to make the time spent here at akron a positive one. i got the impression that mt could have cared less. say hi to him in the hallway he'd look at you like who the hell are you. mack will stop and actually as how classes are going, practices, family, etc. he at least appears to care about his athletes. they need to take better care of the fans because we need them, but i'm glad to see that he's taking care of the coaches and athletes.

i got the impression that mt could have cared less. say hi to him in the hallway he'd look at you like who the hell are you.
I got the same impression. I walked up to Thomas at the last home football game before he left to congratulate him on the Cincy job and he gave me the same kind of look before quickly moving along to more important things/people (or at least that is how I felt).

I think we have to be fair to Mack and remember it's his first year (or now in his second) as the AD. He's probably still open to developing what kind of ad he's going to be, and I'd bet almost his entire first year was spent on getting his arms around the university and the athletic department. Look, just ask them - I think administrators in athletics at our level have got at least 60 hour work weeks, and maybe more. If they don't stop to talk to me, fine. I'll take effectiveness over friendliness every day. Both Mack and MT seem friendly enough as long as they're getting the job done, which both are (and did, in MT's case). And quite frankly, Bobinski probably had more time to call a student in and visit for 45 minutes, because less was being accomplished. The less AD availability, the more the AD is doing the stuff that actually produces big time results. Imagine if he took even 15 minutes to schedule office time with every student, booster, or season ticket holder that emailed.GP, you are the only one that is harsh on Waddell. We never had a marketing guy like him and probably never will again. Did he insult your wife or something? Geesh...