$22.7M for Quaker Square

It's a lot of dough ... I don't know how much they'll have to do to convert it for dorm use or how much more that will add to the 22.7. It's expensive to build new dorms too though. Does anyone know how many shops are still running at QS? Would UA have to wait til those leases run out to take over? Probably couldn't be ready until the 08-09 school year whereas the stadium site dorms should be gone shortly. It will be quite a (uphill) hike from QS to the east end of campus. I don't think there's a contiguous connection to the rest of campus but it's pretty close. They should keep the Quaker name for the new dorm as an Akron historical link rather than rename it "Joe Blow Hall".

There's only 3-4 shops left plus two restaurants (the tavern in the basement and the one on the main level).I think they will be able to divide the shops from the hotel/dorm space and keep it running.I can remember crossing the tracks behind EJ to get there. I know there's a bridge on Mill that will probably be the main route for those students otherwise.

Does anyone know how many shops are still running at QS? It will be quite a (uphill) hike from QS to the east end of campus. I don't think there's a contiguous connection to the rest of campus but it's pretty close.
I think if you need to ask "how many shops are there?"...the answer is probably "not many."The hike to campus isn't bad. They'll probably need to build a pedestrian bridge over the tracks to handle the student influx?I think it is great. :thumb:

I think it's a great acquisition for the university. My guess is that it will be a combination of apartment style housing for families/children (would require some renovation) and high end residence hall housing for upperclassmen and grad students. UA doesn't have any family housing that I'm aware of which leaves a lot of older and international students and families scrambling for housing in a new city/country.The $22.7 sounds like a lot, but figure 200 units at probably $8,000 a year rent ($1.6 million) and it makes financial sense. Personally, I'd like UA to convert some of the silos into dorms, but keep some as a high-end hotel for guests.

This morning's Beacon Journal answers some of these questions...There are indeed only a few shops left in the Quaker Square complex. And they are saying that they won't be doing much renovation, and will be turning it into dorm space pretty quickly.As someone who graduated from the U of A 20 years ago, and a businessman in this community, I have my concerns about this aquisition. First, it leaves just ONE hotel in downtown Akron. Secondly, it just feels strange that this unique Akron landmark is being used for something other than a luxury hotel. That hotel was really a cool place to send out-of-town guests. Maybe it was no longer making money, especially since retail shops were no longer successful there.

Maybe it was no longer making money, especially since retail shops were no longer successful there.
Yep. A hotel is not doing well if one of two things happens...A. They get soldor B. The flag is pulled. (Flag=chain name)The conventions at the Knight center are a majority of OH/PA/MI ones, usually 1-2 days, and not big at all. So if people want to stay downtown they'll stay at the Radisson-but because of our lack of "chain" restaurants (I kid you not) Fairlawn and Green are more attractive places to stay for families of these conventions. What it does mean is that the Radisson will REALLY have to step it up now to take larger groups. I do anticpate, with all the new developments on campus and activity to go on at the stadium, a new smaller hotel would likely open close to or shortly after the stadium opens. The school I work at now, Pitt, has not one but FOUR hotels near their campus.And I couldve sworn in one of the blueprints was a 100 room hotel on the stadium plaza.

Fairlawn and Green are more attractive places to stay for families of these conventions.
Another area that is growing rapidly is Stow and parts of Cuyahoga Falls. There are two new hotels at Rt8 and Steels corners with plans for a third one. There are also many new resturaunts in that area. Akron General is building a health center there with a full emergency facility and the Stow/Falls municipal court is also relocating to the north side of Steeles Corners road. Additionally, the Sheraton Falls is probably the best hotel in Summit County. So the bottom line is: There are plenty of nice places to stay close to Akron.A hotel that overlooks the new stadium would be nice, but can it survive other than the four to six nights a year that football is being played and maybe the dozen or so basketball games at the JAR? There are local businesses such as Goodyear and it might be convenient for them to put their out of town employess up for the night at a nearby hotel (As long as it is not too pricey). If I were a developer I would look at the failure of Quaker Square and that would give me reason for concern.

I wish they would have bought the Mayflower instead so the POS that lives there would have to pack up and leave. It's really an eye sore in downtown Akron when you have section 8 druggies all over the place because there home is right in the middle. I have a little beef with AMHA for doing that. The Mayflower would be perfect for business students and is right next to polsky.

I wish they would have bought the Mayflower instead so the POS that lives there would have to pack up and leave. It's really an eye sore in downtown Akron when you have section 8 druggies all over the place because there home is right in the middle. I have a little beef with AMHA for doing that. The Mayflower would be perfect for business students and is right next to polsky.
I completely agree bobbyake! I can't stand going near that place. Even when sitting at an Aeros game you can't help but look at that eyesore! :chair:

The Mayflower was actually a beautiful hotel at one time. It seems as if the Crown Plaza eventually faced a similar challenge; decreased demand for people wanting to stay at a downtown hotel. Both of these places could have been very attractive hotels that were a part of Downtown Akron for many years to come. It's just a shame that all of this happened just as the Downtown area was starting to make its transformation.

Blame AHMA for that. They are making tons of money off our tax dollars with the Mayflower. Every night I go to the Barley House, I get approached by a Mayflower druggy. They ask me for money all the time. I don't support helping Zombies feed their drug/alcohol habbits. Giving them money only provides them the means to continue it. They don't need money for food. There are great organizations and churches that I highly respect in this area that already provide them with that.I like how AMHA wants you to think they are making a better living for section 8 people underneath the bridge but what they’re really doing is charging the state more for people to live there. Hopefully one day my REIT will get big enough and I'll do some development around here that will benefit this city and its quality. I want to bring people to this city, not milk it dry. And after I do that, I promise you you’ll never see a bar promoting a Suckeye game while the Zips are on TV. I think the Mayflower has potential, but instead, it's being wasted on section 8 garbage. It's in a perfect location for the University. I've been looking at buying some properties around downtown in the near future, my problem is that I'll have the Mayflower and it's garbage down the street.

From an idealistic point of view , I cannot agree with you more.However, let's be realistic. The suckeyes have an enrollment of 50,000+ while the Zips are in the 20,000+ range. The suckeyes are in a major TV market, whereas in Akron, we can only get local news via the cable network. The suckeyes are in the BIG 10 (lots of dollars and promotion), while the Zips are in the MAC (few dollars and not as much promotion) The suckeyes are in a city with a population of over 750,000, while Akron is going to be lucky at the next census of having a pop. of over 190,000.I am not knocking Akron or the Zips, since I have lived my entire life here and have supported Zip sports wholeheartedly. I am just trying to be realistic. however, it is nice to dream.

Akronad...let me simplify that for you. Forget about the size of the two schools, the size of the city they are in, the conferences they both play in, or the amount of media attention they receive. It's much simpler to explain than that.Ohio State has a chance to win national titles, and Akron does not. That's why so many people in Ohio become Buckeye fans at a young age. If we suddenly were in position to win a national title in football or basketball, you'd see hundreds of thousands of Ohioans instantly become Zips fans, and say that they've been Zips fans their entire lives.

From an idealistic point of view , I cannot agree with you more.However, let's be realistic. The suckeyes have an enrollment of 50,000+ while the Zips are in the 20,000+ range. The suckeyes are in a major TV market, whereas in Akron, we can only get local news via the cable network. The suckeyes are in the BIG 10 (lots of dollars and promotion), while the Zips are in the MAC (few dollars and not as much promotion) The suckeyes are in a city with a population of over 750,000, while Akron is going to be lucky at the next census of having a pop. of over 190,000.I am not knocking Akron or the Zips, since I have lived my entire life here and have supported Zip sports wholeheartedly. I am just trying to be realistic. however, it is nice to dream.
I found this info on www.emporis.comColumbusPopulation730,657 in city and 1,936,351 in metro AkronPopulation210,795 in city and 2,931,774 in metro ClevelandPopulation452,208 in city and 2,931,774 in metro It looks like they combined Akron and Cleveland when calculating metro area. This is logical considering how close they ara and the demographics for both areas. The city of Cleveland and Akron needs to jointly work together in order to grow. The only news most people get in Akron comes from Cleveland news stations. Heck, I would rather read The Plain Dealer than the Columbus Beacon Urinal. The University of Akron is growing fast. With the new dorms being built on Exchange, you would think that it would be enough but they just purchased Quaker Oats. This tells me that the University is expecting to grow faster than everyone thinks. I honestly think that in 5 years, UA will have an enrollment around 35,000 taking a lot of Can't's future prospects. I think a UA and Cleveland State merger would benefit both universities. Though that merger might be idealistic, what is realistic is that the UA is growing.I think you're the one not being realistic here.

Hey Bobby: everytime I read one of your posts, your take exception to everything and try to make it confontational.The University has come a long way in the time I have lived in Akron. It wan't until 1969 that they became a State univeristy. Have they grown? Absolutely! And is there room for growth? Absolutely? I just cannot see how we are going to get to 35k. To do that we would have to double the size of the latest building project. Where would we grow? At some point, the University will not be able to going any further downtown. The other side of Exchange is going to be the renovated University Park. The old Central-Hower HS will not be available for another 10-11 years. We must be creative and that is why they have a good pres. Proenza.Quit trying to start an argument. Let's just exchange ideas.

There's plenty of area to grow on the North part of campus. Can you tell my why Akron wouldn't be able to build around Central Hower?
We still need parking spots, don't forget. I wonder if that ancient Wonder Bread factory will still be going strong 200 years from now :rolleyes:

First, it leaves just ONE hotel in downtown Akron.  Secondly, it just feels strange that this unique Akron landmark is being used for something other than a luxury hotel.  That hotel was really a cool place to send out-of-town guests.
New Hotel?New Akron Hotel?The City thinks there may be a need for the rooms.Tuesday, June 19, 2007DEVELOPERS ARE CONTACTING THE CITY OF AKRON ABOUT BUILDING A HOTEL TO REPLACE QUAKER SQUARE'S CROWNE PLAZA. THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON ANNOUNCED THAT IT WOULD PURCHASE THE PROPERTY FOR 23-MILLION AND TURN IT INTO A DORMATORY.Copyright © 2003-2007 Clear Channel