Buffalo Message Board

Captain Kangaroo

It's funny reading these other school's message boards. I noticed they are starting to talk about moving out of the MAC. They are mentioning the Big East for football and A-10 for basketball mostly. The chance of them moving to a BCS conference is far less likely than Akron's chances.

The chance of them moving to a BCS conference is far less likely than Akron's chances.
Based on what?? Our awesome attendance and fan support or raging success on the field?I don't want to be a smart ass or a pessimist, but let's be realists. We have nothing more to offer to a BCS conference right now than the Buffalos or Eastern Michigans of the world. Our program is stuck in a rut of going nowhere right now.

The chance of them moving to a BCS conference is far less likely than Akron's chances.
Based on what?? Our awesome attendance and fan support or raging success on the field?I don't want to be a smart ass or a pessimist, but let's be realists. We have nothing more to offer to a BCS conference right now than the Buffalos or Eastern Michigans of the world. Our program is stuck in a rut of going nowhere right now.
I don't think we have much of a chance anytime soon either. What I'm saying is that we are better overall in our sports programs than they are.

i do not see any teams in the mac team going anywhere.i think some temple,and buffalo fans are jumping the gun.first of all the conference has to want you.buffalo could want to join the big east but it won't happen.i think the mac is a good fit for buffalo and temple.

I dunno why ppl 'round here got it stuck in their heads we're gonna hop outa the MAC anytime soon.I guess the reason for it is because the MAC sux or gets no respect, and thus hurts us?I say, you have the wrong instincts. Well, I say, you got the wrong reflex.If you are surrounded by mediocre competition, then it should be your instinct to DOMINATE IT!Humiliate them either into pure submission or to rise up and be more competitive.We don't run the tables on this conference. Until we do, we don't deserve to criticize it. We are a part of the problem.

OK, this is all really simple: 1. The Big East will EVENTUALLY most likely go to a 12 team conference of teams that play basketball AND FOOTBALL. Right now it is 16 teams in b-ball, 8 in football. This is the opinion of many experts.2. When looking for schools, they will want similar school, good regions, good facilities, etc. Here is why Akron would be a strong candidate:Cleveland/Akron is a hotbed for recruits.Cleveland/Akron area is still a huge area when it comes to exposure.If you think a brand new 25-30,000 seat stadium (with capacity to go larger), doesn't have something to do with it, you are nuts.Proximity to schools= Akron is basically in the middle between Lville/Cincy and WVU/Pitt/Syr etc. Regionally, it makes sense.24,000+ public institution fits in well. The way the campus has improved and the school has changed will play a factor as well.It is not rocket science, people. Buffalo might be in the mix, but I think the best possiblities for various reasons are Akron, Miami, Toledo, Southern Miss, Memphis the acadamies and MAYBE Temple (though they have been there before).

It is not rocket science, people. Buffalo might be in the mix, but I think the best possiblities for various reasons are Akron, Miami, Toledo, Southern Miss, Memphis the acadamies and MAYBE Temple (though they have been there before).
These are decent candidates, though I think Miami is a stretch (I'm not sure Cincy would welcome that). I'd throw UCF into the mix as well, but the other ex-MAC school, Marshall, could suffer the same fate as Miami (WVU would probably try to prevent it).If the Big East eventually does go to a 12 team league all around, they'll have some big decisions to make with the likes of Georgetown, 'Nova, Marquette, etc.

If the Big East eventually does go to a 12 team league all around, they'll have some big decisions to make with the likes of Georgetown, 'Nova, Marquette, etc.
As it is, finding another team willing to accept football membership only will be next to impossible so the Big East will continue to be a league that is rumored to be in transition because of the scheduling problems its current make-up presents.From a Q & A in the Post Gazette
I'd throw UCF into the mix as well, but the other ex-MAC school, Marshall, could suffer the same fate as Miami (WVU would probably try to prevent it).
Speaking of Marshall, their move seems to be working really well for them.I miss them being in the MAC, I really liked those games

Speaking of Marshall, their move seems to be working really well for them.
Nice find, Dr. Z! You know, all of this lamenting about how the MAC is down or at best medicore in football this year has a flip side to it. With no dominant teams, this leaves more wins to spread around the conference. Just look at that Bottom 10 list. I ask you this, when is the last time the MAC had only ONE team (Northern Illinois) in the Bottom 10, particularly at this late in the season? I know, it's pretty sad, but I look at it as a minor victory of sorts. :rock:

Speaking of Marshall, their move seems to be working really well for them.
Nice find, Dr. Z! You know, all of this lamenting about how the MAC is down or at best medicore in football this year has a flip side to it. With no dominant teams, this leaves more wins to spread around the conference. Just look at that Bottom 10 list. I ask you this, when is the last time the MAC had only ONE team (Northern Illinois) in the Bottom 10, particularly at this late in the season? I know, it's pretty sad, but I look at it as a minor victory of sorts. :rock:
My son and I look at that each week as well. Only one team from the MAC in the ESPN Bottom 10, none on the waiting list and we're not "featured" as the pillow fight of the week!

It is not rocket science, people. Buffalo might be in the mix, but I think the best possiblities for various reasons are Akron, Miami, Toledo, Southern Miss, Memphis the acadamies and MAYBE Temple (though they have been there before).
These are decent candidates, though I think Miami is a stretch (I'm not sure Cincy would welcome that). I'd throw UCF into the mix as well, but the other ex-MAC school, Marshall, could suffer the same fate as Miami (WVU would probably try to prevent it).If the Big East eventually does go to a 12 team league all around, they'll have some big decisions to make with the likes of Georgetown, 'Nova, Marquette, etc.
I accidentally ommitted UCF. They and Memphis would most likely me the top 2. UCF has a great new stadium and would be a natural rival for South Florida. Memphis brings a nice market, great basketball and OK football.UC plays Miami every year, so not as big of a problem as Marshall (though I know UC might be trying to get out of the yearly game). As for the non-football schools you mention, there is easily enough quality programs to bring in to keep those programs playing at a high level= possibly UMass, Xavier, Dayton, St. Joe's, etc. Not saying those schools are as good as Syracuse, UConn, etc., but the 8 leftover teams could easily add 2-4 teams of good quality to build a strong conference.