Miami Post Game

Captain Kangaroo

What a waste of a epic, boarderline-heroic, effort by John Mackey the the rest of the Zips defense. Mackey's play was reminicent of Dwight Smith, circa 2000 vs. K.e.n.t., except Mackey did it on a torn ACL. Nate Robinson goes out early (medically, not mentally this time) #55 moves to nose tackle and we still pitch a defensive shut out. And...we lose.Coach Moorhead is one of my favorite people. If there is a better human being on the planet, I haven't met him. But this sideways offense has finally broken me. We have two stud runningbacks. Yet we pass the ball relentlessly with a QB that might not start on the top 5 intramural flag football teams on campus. Great move bringing in Fumbles McLollypop. What a shocker that he fumbled. Who knew? If I were to try to remember a more pathetic offensive game plan and performance, I'd have to go WAAAAY back...to maybe the BG game two weeks ago. We made Miami's defense look like OSU. And don't tell anyone...but *whisper voice* Miami sucks...the aren't very good...*end whisper voice*.If CJ11 or CJ 7 is our QB next September...I'll go watch Pitt or Mount Union, or go build Habitat for Humanity houses with Jimmy Carter. I just can't watch it. They are both terrible...in different ways, mind you...but absolutely terrible just the same. Sean Hakes must be the all-time sucky-est QB ever, to turn tail on this year's QB competition to play JUCO ball in California. If he was even MODERATELY PASSABLE...the QB job was his. Next Friday, I want to see Bryan Williams in the shotgun taking snaps evey play. He can either run, or hand the ball off to Alex Allen. On third and long...let Jabari QB. What the hell...let Jabari QB the entire game. At least we'd have the ball in his...our best player's... hands more than 4 times per game.How many 3rd and 13's...3rd and 15's...3rd and 17's...did we see tonight? Stec punted at least 10 times!!!! That is absolutely pathetic against a mediocre MAC team!!!Kudos to the defense, who played with the heart of a champion tonight. And a big fat PPPBBBBTTTTT! to the offense, with it's inane play-calling, execution and listless sense of urgency. CJ11 was terrible. CJ7 was worse. Jabari looked like a converted QB who couldn't adjust to a ball to dave his life. Poindexter dropped a game-tying TD pass...just flat-out terrible.I'm telling you...Bryan Williams at QB, or Jabari, vs. CMU. It is our only hope.

I'll add some thoughts...1) I think I've answered my own question about how much John Mackey means to that defense. Under any normal circumstances, you WIN a football game when you put together a defensive performance like that. Sure, they bailed themselves out with a couple of INTs, but they did everything possible for us to win this game.2) I think Carlton Jackson just saw his last snap as an Akron QB. He'll either be gone, or being groomed as a DB or WR by spring training camp next year. He'll certainly be a better asset to this team in that capacity, and we should hope that he stays to help us in another capacity. And I hope everyone now sees why JD has had his reservations about playing him, and why he went with "the guy who makes less mistakes". It all makes sense now.3) Before any of you think I like CJ11, don't go there. He's clearly not the answer either. Unfortunately, we probably won't see Rogers since it would make no sense to pull his redshirt this late in the season. So, essentially, we'll be right back where we started this year with our QB situation. It looks like Sean Hakes made a huge mistake. 4) Running wide on a fast defense, and not doing a very good job of mixing the run and pass should probably spell doom for our OC. This needs to be looked at seriously. MAC talent does not waiver all that much from one team to another to see an offense look that silly. I can't explain this beyond bad play calling at this point. It sure seems to me like we made the wrong call WAY too often. 5) ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, we have an OL that is really starting to come together, and two really good running backs. This should give us a good nucleus to really start to build our offense next year. 6) ONE OTHER BRIGHT SPOT. In what must be the craziest set of circumstances ever, you would have won if you had taken Akron +9 tonight, EVEN THOUGH THEY DIDN'T SCORE A SINGLE POINT.

How many 3rd and 13's...3rd and 15's...3rd and 17's...did we see tonight? Stec punted at least 10 times!!!! That is absolutely pathetic against a mediocre MAC team!!!
probably the story of the game right there. We can't dig ourselves in such holes like that. I don't care who you have in at QB, you make it way too hard when you have multiple 3 and longs. I would be interested in seeing just how many of our third downs were more than 10 yards to the end of the sticks.Congrats to the D though, that's two great games in a row for them. *edit* I just counted and if my tired eyes served me correctly, 8 of our 15 3rd downs were 3rd and 10+, THAT CANNOT HAPPEN!! Oh and here's another thing I haven't seen anyone mention: 8 penalties for 46 yards. Has it gotten that bad that we just don't even notice any more? And how many times do we have to get called for a false start in one game? Pitiful.Best of luck against CMU next week. Unfortunately I will be in attendance for the slaughter.P.S.- I agree 100% with skip!

I'll add some thoughts...5) ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, we have an OL that is really starting to come together, and two really good running backs. This should give us a good nucleus to really start to build our offense next year.
Did we both watch the same game? There were more people with red shirts in our backfield than Custer saw Indians at Little Big Horn.

And a big fat PPPBBBBTTTTT! to the offense, with it's inane play-calling, execution and listless sense of urgency. CJ11 was terrible. CJ7 was worse. Jabari looked like a converted QB who couldn't adjust to a ball to dave his life. Poindexter dropped a game-tying TD pass...just flat-out terrible.
Bingo. I hate the term sense of urgency, but that's the best way to describe it.Second and four in the second quarter after a penalty on around the Miami 35. We have in our third team running back who does nothing but run east-west. What does he do? He runs east west for no gain. Third and four, we throw a sideways pass for no gain. Punt. A FG could have put the game out of reach.At that point, I look at my wife and say, "Akron calls plays like every play is first and ten." With second and four, we should have had our starting running back in the game and run him twice to get the first down.That was horrible last night........I have to get on a plane.

I'll add some thoughts...5) ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, we have an OL that is really starting to come together, and two really good running backs. This should give us a good nucleus to really start to build our offense next year.
Did we both watch the same game? There were more people with red shirts in our backfield than Custer saw Indians at Little Big Horn.
I think a huge reason for this was Miami's complete (and mostly justified) lack of respect for UA's ability (inability?) to go down field, and of course this is due mainly to CJ^2. The RedChickens simply loaded the line of scrimmage for the most part.
If CJ11 or CJ 7 is our QB next September...I'll go watch Pitt or Mount Union, or go build Habitat for Humanity houses with Jimmy Carter. I just can't watch it. They are both terrible...in different ways, mind you...but absolutely terrible just the same.
I was thinking this exact thought last night, Cap'n. We NEED Matt Rodgers and/or Jordan Miller to come through in a hurry, ala LeFevour (or even someone remotely resembling him).

I hate for this to sound like sour grapes and I do not think it would have changed the end result BUT - on the fumble that Miami scored on........................THEY WERE OFFSIDES. Hopefully there will be a replay of it, I can't believe they didn't review it.Alex Allen is unreal!I cannot believe the QB situation. I actually thought we were loaded earlier in the year with CJ,CJ,Hakes,Rodgers. Wow, what a change.

Why can't the offense and defense both play well in the same game??? If one does well, the other does bad (usually the offense). If I see one more sideways pass or sideways run, especially with our third team RB this year I'm going to scream! :chair::wall: Please find a QB for next season and please find an OC with some creativity.

Sean Hakes must be the all-time sucky-est QB ever, to turn tail on this year's QB competition to play JUCO ball in California. If he was even MODERATELY PASSABLE...the QB job was his.
CK -Unfortunately, I think Hakes may have been a bust even if he were still at Akron. He was replaced as the starter at Orange Coast College several weeks ago. Numerous interceptions and a totally anemic offense. I like Sean a lot, like you like Moorehead. But not looking good as a college QB.

There's a new movie out about the Zips offense:sideways_poster_042005.jpg
My wife can vouch for this --Last night I'm sitting on the couch trying to figure out what form of alcohol might dull the pain of watching our sideline-to-sideline offense. In honor of the movie Sideways...I pulled out a bottle of Pinot Noir.

I hate for this to sound like sour grapes and I do not think it would have changed the end result BUT - on the fumble that Miami scored on........................THEY WERE OFFSIDES. Hopefully there will be a replay of it, I can't believe they didn't review it.
I saw the same thing.

My wife can vouch for this --Last night I'm sitting on the couch trying to figure out what form of alcohol might dull the pain of watching our sideline-to-sideline offense. In honor of the movie Sideways...I pulled out a bottle of Pinot Noir.
Did just the one bottle do the trick for you then?

Did just the one bottle do the trick for you then?
I had to work today. Anymore than one bottle on a Wednesday night, and Thursday @ work gets to be like a 3rd and 17.

Good teams and good coaches find ways to win these kinds of games...the others are 4-7 and waiting until next year... again...most of us have already commented over the past 3 months about the bad coaching decisions...bad QB play....bad defensive play(at least up until last week)...the promise of Williams and Allen...etc,etc...we as fans of the program now have to hope that the President and AD do the right things for the good of the program after 11-23-07...be at the BOWL on 11-23-07...

Sean Hakes must be the all-time sucky-est QB ever, to turn tail on this year's QB competition to play JUCO ball in California. If he was even MODERATELY PASSABLE...the QB job was his.
CK -Unfortunately, I think Hakes may have been a bust even if he were still at Akron. He was replaced as the starter at Orange Coast College several weeks ago. Numerous interceptions and a totally anemic offense. I like Sean a lot, like you like Moorehead. But not looking good as a college QB.

I dunno man, look at his team and the other QB's stats. I'll reserve my judgement til he's out of JUCO.

I hate for this to sound like sour grapes and I do not think it would have changed the end result BUT - on the fumble that Miami scored on........................THEY WERE OFFSIDES. Hopefully there will be a replay of it, I can't believe they didn't review it.
I slowed the video down and Clayton Mullins actually timed it perfectly. His helmet hits the spot of the ball just as it's being snapped. I put it together because I wanted to see for myself and there were also those on Miami HawkTawk that wondered. Not to rub salt in the wound, but I thought I'd share the video. You'll find it at http://www.voiceoftheredhawks.typepad.comGood Luck against the Chips!BTW, Steve French is my hero.

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot believe the QB situation. I actually thought we were loaded earlier in the year with CJ,CJ,Hakes,Rodgers. Wow, what a change.
That doesn't bode well for JD moving up the coaching ladder this year. I'm not saying we should fire him now but if you think any other school is anxious for a coach coming off 5-7 and 4-8, alumnus or not, you need a reality check. The AD would have some serious splainin to do to the admin, alumni & boosters about that decision.