VCU at AKRON - Saturday 11AM at the JAR!

GoZips88

Slap my hand if it's too early to start this thread up but I figured what the heck. A buddy of mine and fellow season ticket holder e-mailed me this morning looking for the link to "University of Akron Psyche" on YouTube. The win last night at Miami has him pretty pumped up about our chances Saturday and beyond and he needed a pre-game intro fix. Figured it might be a good way to kick off this thread as we all look forward to Saturday ...Akron Zip Pre-game IntroLET'S GO ZIPS!!! Next Zippy kick :nutkick: victim? The VCU Rams!

56-53 VCU over Northeastern with 1:48 to play at Northeastern. NE shooting an 'and-1' after a timeout.Free throw no good. VCU w/ball. NE fouls VCU for 2-shot foul.Maynor hits both 58-53 VCU.VCU guard Shuler commits foul w/1:09. First free throw NO GOOD for NE. 2nd is good 58-54 and timeout VCU.Sounds like Shuler is playing with somewhat of a bum ankle. That'd be a shame if it is still hurting on Saturday ...VCU works clock a bit before NE finally fouls. Maynor to shoot 2 ... makes both. 24 points for the game.Foul on Shuler (sounds like he's really hobbled). NE makes 1 of 2.49 seconds to play. VCU w/ball. Up by 5 ... 59-54 I believe. VCU throws ball away!

NE misses shot. VCU rebounds and gets fouled w/16.2 seconds to go. VCU shooting two and up 62-57.VCU misses first. 2nd good. 63-57.NE layup AND FOULED. 63-59 with one coming at the line. Free throw good. 63-60.VCU Maynor gets fouled w/11 seconds to go. 1st throw is good 64-60. 2nd is good. 65-60.NE layup good. 7.1 seconds to go and timeout. 65-62.Maynor seems to be carrying the load at guard right now. Will be interesting to see how Shuler's ankle is Saturday.Shuler fouled w/4.4 to go. Shuler "hobbles" to free throw line (in words of NE announcers). First no good. Timeout VCU. Still 65-62 w/4.4 to go.2nd throw good. 66-62. Shuler out and Nixon in for VCU.NE guard shoots 3 at end, leaning in to try and draw foul but missed shot and didn't get any call. Final score: VCU 66 NE 62.

It should be a great game. I dont expect the zips to take this one easy to get ready to play for the MAC seeding. They have a whole week after sat. to get ready for the 3 game stretch. It will be interesting to see how the zips handle the uptempo play by VCU and how much Wood is a factor (not only with his knee, but with running in the style of play that is predicted). Lets pack the house for ESPN2!

It should be a great game. I dont expect the zips to take this one easy to get ready to play for the MAC seeding. They have a whole week after sat. to get ready for the 3 game stretch. It will be interesting to see how the zips handle the uptempo play by VCU and how much Wood is a factor (not only with his knee, but with running in the style of play that is predicted). Lets pack the house for ESPN2!
A friend and I were toying with the idea of getting a football-style tailgate together in the East Parking deck, seeing as none of the bars will be open prior to the game. It would be a precursor of sorts of the Akron sports world P.R.B (Post rubber bowl). Any takers?

This is from the article on ESPN:

• VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH (20-6, 13-3 CAA) at AKRON (19-7, 9-4 MAC), ESPN2, ESPN360.com, 11 a.m. ETWhat it means: A must-win for VCU and the CAA if the league is to have its third straight two-bid year. The Rams lost a one-point stunner at home on Feb. 16 to in-state rival Old Dominion, their first home loss of the season, and have dropped to an RPI of 63. Akron's NCAA hopes suffered a serious blow two weeks ago when the Zips' leading scorer and rebounder Jeremiah Wood went down with a knee injury. He's not expected to return until at least the conference tournament. Key player: Eric Maynor, VCU. You probably remember him from his last-minute heroics last March, when the then-sophomore hit clutch shots to defeat George Mason in the CAA title game and sank Duke in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. As a junior, he's taken full control of the offense, scoring 17.9 ppg and leading the conference in assists with 5.3 per game. On Wednesday night, he scored 13 of the team's final 17 points to overcome Northeastern on the road. And earlier this month, he was named to the 16-man short list for the Cousy Award, given to the nation's top point guard. Key stat: VCU's defense, a second thought last year, has become the program's calling card. In Anthony Grant's second year, he's transformed a defense that allowed 68 points in CAA contests into a tight crew that's trimmed that average by 10 points. And no team in America locks down the perimeter as well as the Rams do, with a paltry 27.2 percent shooting allowed from long distance. Unfortunately for suddenly undersized Akron, the 3 is its primary weapon.
Looks like the announcers will be in for a suprise on Saturday.

You'll have no problem parking on a Saturday morning, there is a parking deck pretty close to the JAR. Plus I don't think the local paper even printed anything today about the game. By the time people get up tomorrow and read the paper, the game will have started!?!Finding a place to "pre-game" early on a Saturday morning is going to be tough. I'm not sure if I told you a place, they would be open.Travel safe.

A pretty good college basketball game going on in town tomorrow morning and our local newspaper doesn't include any mention of it the day before? Not to start the 'rip the ABJ' stuff for the umpteenth time but they really do suck Akron canal water. Yeah, there may be a 'story' (blurb) on the game in tomorrow's paper but a whole lot of good that does helping put butts in seats. Knowing about it today gives people just a little more time to include it as a late addition to their Saturday schedule. I know, I know, nobody around here gives a rat's anyway ... Safe travels VCU fans - great to have you joining us for what should be a good one tomorrow. Go Zips!

The best place to park is the parking deck on the corner of Spicer and Carroll streets. The deck is a 2-block walk to the arena (you'll see people walking that way -- can't miss it), and the Carroll/Buchtel street exit is directly off Route 8.The only place I could see open for a pregame beer might be the Buffalo Wild Wings on Exchange street. Take Spicer street south about 4 blocks (from the parking deck) and you'll hit Exchange St. BW's is across the street, to the right.Map

I just called BW3s, they open at 11 am tomorrow. :unsure:
I'll be at BW's for a post game beer. :cheers: If some of the Ram faithful wanted to tailgate in the parking deck prior to the game, I'm sure no one would care. Due to the early start time, that's your best bet for some pre-game revelry.
I'll be there! :thumb: :thumb: :wave: :wave: Hopefully not outnumbered by vcu folks. :rofl:

A pretty good college basketball game going on in town tomorrow morning and our local newspaper doesn't include any mention of it the day before? Not to start the 'rip the ABJ' stuff for the umpteenth time but they really do suck Akron canal water. Yeah, there may be a 'story' (blurb) on the game in tomorrow's paper but a whole lot of good that does helping put butts in seats. Knowing about it today gives people just a little more time to include it as a late addition to their Saturday schedule. I know, I know, nobody around here gives a rat's anyway ... Safe travels VCU fans - great to have you joining us for what should be a good one tomorrow. Go Zips!
http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/15877482.html

I just called BW3s, they open at 11 am tomorrow. :unsure:
I'll be at BW's for a post game beer. :cheers: If some of the Ram faithful wanted to tailgate in the parking deck prior to the game, I'm sure no one would care. Due to the early start time, that's your best bet for some pre-game revelry.
What time is everyone planning to start in the parking deck? As a relative newbie, I would like to meet some fellow posters. Thinking about bringing my Cleveland Browns cornhole (I need to convince my brother to make me a new set that I can paint into Zips colors to bring to football tailgating next year).