Recruiting Florida Again

I hope JD has learned from his mistakes of the past down in the sunshine state and is not gonna go down there and get a bunch of hoodlums who will split his lockeroom. If you're going to recruit Florida, you've got to put character above talent, otherwise you're going to get stuck with the Carlton Jackons, Clarence McPhersons, and Mickey Bakers of the world. Bottom line to me is any player who has Division 1 talent in Florida but is having to come all the way to Akron, OH to play college football must have some character issues.

I hope JD has learned from his mistakes of the past down in the sunshine state and is not gonna go down there and get a bunch of hoodlums who will split his lockeroom. If you're going to recruit Florida, you've got to put character above talent, otherwise you're going to get stuck with the Carlton Jackons, Clarence McPhersons, and Mickey Bakers of the world. Bottom line to me is any player who has Division 1 talent in Florida but is having to come all the way to Akron, OH to play college football must have some character issues.
i say if they are good enough, id take anyone. You can get people to get on the same page as the program, you can't get people to magically run 4.4 40's and have insane arm strength.I choose winning over morals or character. And i understand the problem with splitting the locker room and being a problem.

Inthezone...and rootforroo.....blunt, but good points on each side. I do indeed, after following Zips football for 30 years, believe that you have to use some of your scholarships on "chances". It's a must for lower level big level schools. But, I will certainly acknowledge that FL has given us more than our share of some bad apples over the years.

If you're going to recruit Florida, you've got to put character above talent, otherwise you're going to get stuck with the Carlton Jackons, Clarence McPhersons, and Mickey Bakers of the world. Bottom line to me is any player who has Division 1 talent in Florida but is having to come all the way to Akron, OH to play college football must have some character issues.
What kind of comment is that? So outside of Florida you can put talent above character?

If you're going to recruit Florida, you've got to put character above talent, otherwise you're going to get stuck with the Carlton Jackons, Clarence McPhersons, and Mickey Bakers of the world. Bottom line to me is any player who has Division 1 talent in Florida but is having to come all the way to Akron, OH to play college football must have some character issues.
What kind of comment is that? So outside of Florida you can put talent above character?
No, you just have to look much more closely at character when it comes to a Florida kid, and if there are any red flags at all, you pass. It's just a different culture many of the kids from down there are raised in, and it often doesn't mesh well at all with Ohio and Pennsylvania kids. Anyone who has ever been involved with college football knows what I'm talking about.

No, you just have to look much more closely at character when it comes to a Florida kid, and if there are any red flags at all, you pass. It's just a different culture many of the kids from down there are raised in, and it often doesn't mesh well at all with Ohio and Pennsylvania kids. Anyone who has ever been involved with college football knows what I'm talking about.
Seriously, that has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen here. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is so much the culture they are brought up in as much as the style of football they play. Midwest football is more physical (slow) and southeast football is more speed oriented. A midwest kid is more likely to be able to run the ball up the middle and a southeast kid is more likely to take the ball and run straight to the outside and shy away from contact (Dennis Kennedy).

I don't think it is so much the culture they are brought up in as much as the style of football they play. Midwest football is more physical (slow) and southeast football is more speed oriented. A midwest kid is more likely to be able to run the ball up the middle and a southeast kid is more likely to take the ball and run straight to the outside and shy away from contact (Dennis Kennedy).
Jarvis Givens will change that stereotype, MARK MY WORDS!! ;)

Seriously, that has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen here. :rolleyes:
You've obviously never been on a college football team and know nothing about locker room chemistry and the problems that can occur when you throw kids from Florida, who for whatever reason nobody closer to home wanted, in with Midwestern kids. Almost every single kid JD has gone down to Florida to get has been a problem and most of them have quit, packed up their bags, and left.

You've obviously never been on a college football team and know nothing about locker room chemistry and the problems that can occur when you throw kids from Florida, who for whatever reason nobody closer to home wanted, in with Midwestern kids. Almost every single kid JD has gone down to Florida to get has been a problem and most of them have quit, packed up their bags, and left.
Actually - I was a Zip football player on scholarship and from the south. I started for three years, got my degree in 4 and was never an issue in the lockeroom- so I take exception to your contentious/stereotypical remarks. I do however remember a few guys on our team from the midwest that had issues and created problems in the locker room. A few were even from OHIO :blink: I do agree that character should play a major role in deciding on a high school player. I also think that should be the case for any player you recruit.......even kids from the great state of ohio.

Actually - I was a Zip football player on scholarship and from the south. I started for three years, got my degree in 4 and was never an issue in the lockeroom- so I take exception to your contentious/stereotypical remarks. I do however remember a few guys on our team from the midwest that had issues and created problems in the locker room. A few were even from OHIO :blink: I do agree that character should play a major role in deciding on a high school player. I also think that should be the case for any player you recruit.......even kids from the great state of ohio.
Well stated. :thumb:

If you'll notice, there are no kids from Maine or North Dakota on the Zips roster. It is because they are troublemakers. I've know several kids from both states. Grade 1 a-holes. The staff knows this too. Kids from Maine and North Dakota would ruin the locker room. Absolute cancers, those kids.

If you'll notice, there are no kids from Maine or North Dakota on the Zips roster. It is because they are troublemakers. I've know several kids from both states. Grade 1 a-holes. The staff knows this too. Kids from Maine and North Dakota would ruin the locker room. Absolute cancers, those kids.
And no kids from Hawaii - they would just want to do the Hula in the lockeroom.......a terrible distraction.

And no kids from Hawaii - they would just want to do the Hula in the lockeroom.......a terrible distraction.
Oh snap! You better watch out, Z.I.P. will be after you! :D:wave:

Nice work. I don't believe ITZ's issues have anything to do with geographic location as much as other unstated issues. Instead of arguing with him, you shoud just pass along a hearty Heil Hitler salute and move on.

You've obviously never been on a college football team and know nothing about locker room chemistry and the problems that can occur when you throw kids from Florida, who for whatever reason nobody closer to home wanted, in with Midwestern kids.
Why is it the fault of the kids from Florida if the midwest kids can't get along with them? Maybe there was only a small group of midwest kids who were the problem and they made the problem much worse than it was. Maybe both parties were at fault.Heil Hitler.

This thread has me really thinking about sports fans and how we perceive athletes. I just finished reading a great book called "God Save The Fan" by Will Leitch (founder of www.deadspin.com). I actually thought of this board a lot while reading parts of it because he has picked up on many of the thoughts I have about some posters on this board. While I am a pretty conservative guy and I don't see racism everywhere, I know it when I see it and I think I see it a lot on this board. My favorite passage about sports fans was on page 231 and reads....Talking about sports fans, black and white, about favorite players..... "This goes the other way, too. I'm sorry, kids-and it pains me, as a Cardinals fan, to say this-but the only thing that separates David Eckstein and Ronnie Belliard is a few points of on-base percentage, some isolated power (both in Belliard's favor, by the way), and, of course, a few inches of height. Eckstein is white and looks like he's running hard and playing his heart out. Belliard has cornrows, keeps his jersey untucked, and wears his hat sideways, for some reason. Eckstein is gritty and feisty; Belliard is a slacker slob who couldn't find a contract in the off-season after he was an integral part of a St. Louis Cardinals World Series victory. Eckstein gets a bobblehead and World Series MVP award for a series in which he didn't have hit until Game 3."Further on the same page, "Major League Baseball, on the eve of the World Series, ran a poll on its Web site encouraging fans to pick their "all hustle" player... Eckstein was on the list, as were Ty Wigginton and Wes Helms. You know what was notable about the list? Every singel player was white. Freaking John Mabry was on the list! (The oly 'role' John Mabry plays on a baseball team is 'old').The book, while serious at parts, is really a funny read and I would recommend it to everyone. It was a quick read..... two flights and one layover.

Yeah ok, Heil Hitler... because I look at facts and have some experience with this sort of thing and don't turn a blind eye to obvious problems in an attempt to be PC, I'm a racist. Let's look at some facts.JD's RECRUITS FROM FLORIDA-2005:Michael Alphonse- GONE, locker room problemRodney Etienne- GONE, locker room problemCarlton Jackson- GONE, HUGE locker room problemClarence McPherson- GONE, HUGE locker room problemhmmm... 0 for 5 in '05, not bad...2006:Mickey Baker- GONE, HUGE locker room problemWayne Cobham- Good kid, still hereDelvin Davis- GONE, HUGE locker room problemSheldon Dennis- Never got hereDJ Henderson- Never got hereTevlin Petit-Frer- GONE, legal troublesJerell Stoudamire- GONE, locker room problem, even though he was never "officially" on the teamJacquain Williams- Never got herehmmm.... 1 for 8 in '06, I guess it's an improvement2007: NONE, I thought JD learned his lessonSo out of all JD's Florida recruits, we're a grand 1 for 13... but yeah, when I say you have to look a lot more closely at character for Florida guys, I'm a racist... :rolleyes:

In all fairness, Doug Williams and Brandon Williams are both Tampa kids recruited in JDs 1st recruiting class. I think Doug is a team captain this year and while Brandon has never been more than a role player, he will still be on the 2 deep this year. And isn't John Stec from FL? I may be wrong on that one. Player retention was horrible until last years class. A lot of those players were from FL. I feel pretty good about the last 2 classes and assume that any kid JD is after be it from FL or OH would have a good chance to retain and be a contributor. I would hate to ignore any part of the country. Good kids are everywhere, you just need to find them.

In all fairness, Doug Williams and Brandon Williams are both Tampa kids recruited in JDs 1st recruiting class. I think Doug is a team captain this year and while Brandon has never been more than a role player, he will still be on the 2 deep this year. And isn't John Stec from FL? I may be wrong on that one. Player retention was horrible until last years class. A lot of those players were from FL. I feel pretty good about the last 2 classes and assume that any kid JD is after be it from FL or OH would have a good chance to retain and be a contributor. I would hate to ignore any part of the country. Good kids are everywhere, you just need to find them.
I didn't include Doug and Brandon Williams because they were actually players JD inherited in his first spring from Lee Owens' recruiting list. I believe Owens' staff had already offered Doug, but you're right, they are both quality players and quality human beings. If JD's going to look in Florida, like I said, he must look much more closely at character and find guys like these.It's funny that since I presented the cold hard facts of what's become of our recent Florida recruits, a-zip and GP1 have been absent from this discussion. That's what happens when people who think with their emotions and shoot off at the mouth (or keyboard in this case) are confronted with reality. Cricket.... Cricket....

It's funny that since I presented the cold hard facts of what's become of our recent Florida recruits, a-zip and GP1 have been absent from this discussion. That's what happens when people who think with their emotions and shoot off at the mouth (or keyboard in this case) are confronted with reality. Cricket.... Cricket....
I am still here big boy, you should be flattered I am still acknowledging you. The discussion was not about our recent Florida recruits. The discussion was....(Lets back up a second)....the post you made specifically about the character and culture of kids from Florida.
You simply made a general/vague/stereotypical/racist remark about players from Florida that is - STUPID. Then your reply was that I do not know about a lockeroom because I have never played college football - WRONG.
You've obviously never been on a college football team and know nothing about locker room chemistry and the problems that can occur when you throw kids from Florida, who for whatever reason nobody closer to home wanted, in with Midwestern kids.
Now you are presenting.......wait a minute........COLD HARD FACTS :lol: by conveniently pulling 8-10 ZIP players from recent memory that you would like to use as an example to represent the State of Florida to support your point (of course you left out the good ones).
So out of all JD's Florida recruits, we're a grand 1 for 13... but yeah, when I say you have to look a lot more closely at character for Florida guys, I'm a racist...
When a few other Zip players were mentioned by zipboy you then turned to JD inherited......blah blah blah. BUT THEN you still followed up by your same STUPID
If JD's going to look in Florida, like I said, he must look much more closely at character and find guys like these.
So you bring us back to where we started and the same stupid comment about character of kids from the state of Florida. There is a reason you hear crickets chirping........ :moon: I will keep responding when I have a chance. I cant wait to see what you are going to dig up next.

can we please close this thread? It is getting ridiculous stupid IMO. Kids in general no matter where they live are cultured and developed into young men by their parents and who they choose to associate with. It has nothing to do with where they live.JD is getting smarter every year about his recruiting and I have good feelings about where this program is going, so lets just quit this idiotic tirade about florida kids being bad and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda!