Beer at the stadium!

ZachTheZip

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/24055...age=all&c=yBuried halfway through this article is some major news: there will be alchoholic drinks served at Infocision Stadium.
Luxury suites, loges and club seats all offer access to the pre-game buffet, cash bar — so far, the only site at the stadium where liquor will be served — and upscale concessions in an enclosed area.
This opens the door for beer to be sold throughout the stadium, and possibly a student bar somewhere on campus eventually. It also means that there is a possibility of having a restaraunt there that serves alchohol (Winking Lizard in the north endzone, anyone?).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno much about this stuff but it seems to me that this could cause some major headaches considering a good portion of students are under 21. I think the loges, clubs/luxury suites are much more likely to have a large majority of older consumers.It is done elsewhere, so there are obviously ways of handling this stuff. And the incentive that the extra profit capability alcohol sales bring probably overcomes the headaches of having to card thousands of people and deal with people who overconsume and cause trouble. Still, it's a big decision.

I dunno much about this stuff but it seems to me that this could cause some major headaches considering a good portion of students are under 21. I think the loges, clubs/luxury suites are much more likely to have a large majority of older consumers.It is done elsewhere, so there are obviously ways of handling this stuff. And the incentive that the extra profit capability alcohol sales bring probably overcomes the headaches of having to card thousands of people and deal with people who overconsume and cause trouble. Still, it's a big decision.
Just card them, if you are strict the headaches will decrease. Students will just drink at their house before they come in :P

Just card them, if you are strict the headaches will decrease. Students will just drink at their house before they come in :P
the problem you run into is students of age grabbing a brew for their friends that are underage and in a large event such as football games it would be hard to make sure that everyone with a beer is in fact 21.I would love to be able to drink in the common folk section of info stadium but I don't see it happening

the problem you run into is students of age grabbing a brew for their friends that are underage and in a large event such as football games it would be hard to make sure that everyone with a beer is in fact 21.I would love to be able to drink in the common folk section of info stadium but I don't see it happening
They sell beers at stadiums all across the US. Seems to work. Believe it or not, people can drink beer responsibly.I'm pretty sure the good people that attend Zips games can do the same. I've actually seen it with my own eyes.I bet they even hire police and ushers to make sure fans behave. It's not like Zips fans will act like these animals

*Pssst* don't tell anyone...but students that want to drink in the new stadium will bring flasks filled with alcohol...just like they have since John R. Buchtel's frat brothers started the tradition back in the late 1800's. Some students will bring bottled "water" (water bottles filled with vodka). It is inevitable.Like Dr. Z said -- Beer is sold in stadiums all over the country. Beer is sold during the MAC Tourney...and somehow...some way...the businesses make money off it...and somehow...no one dies.BTW -- Students tend to shy away from $6.00, 16 oz. Miller Lites. I do too. Hence the flask. ;)BTW2 -- If you're looking for a Zips-endorsed beer, former UA linebacker Ryan Myers requests you choose Miller Lite.miller_myers.jpg

If we really want to get students and casual football fans in the stadium, I think we should serve alcohol in all sections of the facility. It would create the rowdy atmosphere that is college football. It's not like we have to card 80,000 fans like the major schools. We are talking about 20 - 30k fans. Just card 'em. The students are going to find ways to drink anyway. They'll either sneak it in or get hammered before the game. We need to use any means to get fans at games.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA prohibits the sale of alcohol at all athletic contests that are held on campus. But alcohol sales are permitted in suites and loges.
I doubt this one. After seeing the Zips play a couple times out in that dump to the East, my only enjoyment there comes from a victory and the fact that I can buy a beer and drink it in my seat.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA prohibits the sale of alcohol at all athletic contests that are held on campus. But alcohol sales are permitted in suites and loges.
I doubt this one. After seeing the Zips play a couple times out in that dump to the East, my only enjoyment there comes from a victory and the fact that I can buy a beer and drink it in my seat.
Rowdy is correct. The NCAA has no such ban. The USA TODAY did an article about this very thing just last year.A USA TODAY survey of the 119 schools in the NCAA's major football-playing Division I-A found that nearly half (54) allow the sale of alcohol — through public concessions, in private suites or both — at one or more playing venues.I know I've seen alcohol in the A Man Club or whatever it's called these days that was built under the Rubber Bowl pressbox. I'm assuming UofA is included in that 54.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA prohibits the sale of alcohol at all athletic contests that are held on campus. But alcohol sales are permtitted in suites and loges.
When we went to Cincinasty a few years ago they were selling right when you walked in.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA prohibits the sale of alcohol at all athletic contests that are held on campus. But alcohol sales are permtitted in suites and loges.
I think the decision on alcohol sales is ultimately up to the conference, after the individual school. I know a guy from Georgia who says the SEC has a ban on alcohol sales at all athletic events, which is mind boggling to me. Football and beer, what a great marriage.

I think the decision on alcohol sales is ultimately up to the conference, after the individual school. I know a guy from Georgia who says the SEC has a ban on alcohol sales at all athletic events, which is mind boggling to me. Football and beer, what a great marriage.
As I posted earlier. The NCAA has no such band. It's up to the conferences and schools. While the SEC ban is true. I do believe that alcohol is available in the suites or loges. I know there were no alcohol concession sales in the Georgia Dome for the SEC championship due to SEC rules. But, I've seen drinks flowing in the suites.

so this all begs the question what kind of beer do you want to see sold? I would like to see yuenglin but that will probably happen after a national championship
Well, and that's the other big reason to have beer sales. Bidding war for pouring rights. Muahahaha.But I would be cool with Budweiser or Miller.

so this all begs the question what kind of beer do you want to see sold? I would like to see yuenglin but that will probably happen after a national championship
Yuengling can not be sold in Ohio. Like anything in life, I would like to have a choice. Give me one of the (Bud, Miller, Coors) and maybe two Great Lakes. I guess you could go Coors Light and Blue Moon, since they come from the same distributor.But give me a variety.

Yuengling can not be sold in Ohio. Like anything in life, I would like to have a choice. Give me one of the (Bud, Miller, Coors) and maybe two Great Lakes. I guess you could go Coors Light and Blue Moon, since they come from the same distributor.But give me a variety.
I think we all know that yuengling can not be sold in ohio wich is why it is only a wish and I only see it happening when we win a national championship a flying pig might also be in need

I thought it was great when I could get Guinness on tap at Browns stadium.

No Great Lakes. Great Lakes is a Cleveland micro-brewery. I know that the BJ thinks Akron is a suburb of Cleveland, but not me! If we go w/ a special brew go w/ an Akron micro-brewed product.
Who cares if Great Lakes is a Cleveland product? I'm all for picking Akron over Cleveland when there is a clear choice, but I am also going to take Cleveland over elsewhere when I can as well..... but that is all moot when it comes to beer. I don't buy into geographic allegiances when it comes to taste, and Great Lakes beer is actually pretty damned good. I used to say that Sam Adams beers were better (as far as domestic brew product lines), but either my tastes have changed, or Sam Adams has changed, because Sam Adams tastes too flowery for me now.I think Roo Brew should be a choice at the new place, but I'm not saying I'll buy it. I'd have to try it first.

Maybe we could get something from the Ohio Brewing Company. They seem to support Zips athletics: When I walked in there for the first time the first thing I noticed was a giant "Fathead" of John Heisman with a caption that said something like "Head Coach - Buchtel College, University of Akron" with the years he was HC. They also had quite a few other Zips decorations near the entrance.

What about the Roo Brew?
the OHIO BREWING COMPANY, HOPPIN'FROG, both local micros...if they don't try to get in on this they are crazy....and if the Lizard doesn't use it's connection to attach to the stadium some how....I know there USED to be a prohibition on selling alcohol INSIDE college football stadiums...thats one reason for the setup at the Bowl..outside the seating area..whether thats still in effect, don't know for sure...