2010/2011 Basketball schedule

infofan

In listening to Coach Dambrot on monday's Zipslive coaching show some improvements to future basketball schedule are happening. According to KD, CSU called us on Monday wanting to resume basketball! They have agreed to a 4 year home2away2 contract, starting at UA in 2010/2011season. KD said while they tried hard to put a tournament together ( Can't,AKRON,YSU,CSU?)they "couldnt put it together for whatever reason. But still in my opinion this is great- CSU is mostly a positive! Name recognition for fans, decent RPI, and easily traveled for fans. He went on to say were scheduled in Las Vegas tournament, playing Miami (FL), Indiana St, and others possibly. Also have scheduled Oral Roberts and Wyoming at home, Oakland ,Temple, UIC, Niagra on road. And 4 spots left to fill. KD has received a lot of heat on Zn about our pushover schedule- and maybe its deserved criticism, but it looks to me like hes making a concerted effort to upgrade the schedule.

In listening to Coach Dambrot on monday's Zipslive coaching show some improvements to future basketball schedule are happening. According to KD, CSU called us on Monday wanting to resume basketball! They have agreed to a 4 year home2away2 contract, starting at UA in 2010/2011season. KD said while they tried hard to put a tournament together ( Can't,AKRON,YSU,CSU?)they "couldnt put it together for whatever reason. But still in my opinion this is great- CSU is mostly a positive! Name recognition for fans, decent RPI, and easily traveled for fans. He went on to say were scheduled in Las Vegas tournament, playing Miami (FL), Indiana St, and others possibly. Also have scheduled Oral Roberts and Wyoming at home, Oakland ,Temple, UIC, Niagra on road. And 4 spots left to fill. KD has received a lot of heat on Zn about our pushover schedule- and maybe its deserved criticism, but it looks to me like hes making a concerted effort to upgrade the schedule.
This is good to hear. Temple is awesome! Can't wait for the CSU rivalry to start back up again. The Las Vegas tourney seems better than a lot of preseason tourneys we've been. Good job KD. Keep up the good work!

So if I read this correctly, as of now our OOC schedule for next year will be:Home:Cleveland StateOral RobertsWyomingReturn trip from this years bracketbusterAway:OaklandTempleUICNiagraNeutral:Miami(FL)Indiana St.Looking at that schedule still isn't all that impressive. Don't get me wrong, I like that we at least look willing to go on the road. Miami(FL) is kind of next years NC State game, but they historically don't have as good a program. There is nothing in the way of a Texas A&M style road game (maybe you could call Temple that, but I'm not sure, they are still a mid-major program, although a good one). The home game from the bracketbuster is likely to be another Valpo type of team, which isn't entirely bad, but doesn't help us any more than Wyoming, Oral Roberts, UIC or Niagra does. Those last 4 games better not be a bunch of Malone's and St. Francis', or we're looking at essentially the same schedule as this year plus a few more true road games. Hopefully we land another quality opponent at the Vegas tournament, maybe pull in a good mid-major at home like a Rhode Island and go on the road for one or two more games against power conference teams.

So if I read this correctly, as of now our OOC schedule for next year will be:Home:Cleveland StateOral RobertsWyomingReturn trip from this years bracketbusterAway:OaklandTempleUICNiagraNeutral:Miami(FL)Indiana St.Looking at that schedule still isn't all that impressive. Don't get me wrong, I like that we at least look willing to go on the road. Miami(FL) is kind of next years NC State game, but they historically don't have as good a program. There is nothing in the way of a Texas A&M style road game (maybe you could call Temple that, but I'm not sure, they are still a mid-major program, although a good one). The home game from the bracketbuster is likely to be another Valpo type of team, which isn't entirely bad, but doesn't help us any more than Wyoming, Oral Roberts, UIC or Niagra does. Those last 4 games better not be a bunch of Malone's and St. Francis', or we're looking at essentially the same schedule as this year plus a few more true road games. Hopefully we land another quality opponent at the Vegas tournament, maybe pull in a good mid-major at home like a Rhode Island and go on the road for one or two more games against power conference teams.
One can only hope.

The Temple game is part of the MAC's contract with Temple football. We owed them a return game after they played at Akron.
Are you or the yard Nome going to explain this one?
I thought gnome retired. :cheers: I think the kid is confused. Part of the Temple deal with the MAC was, we let them play football in our conference and in turn, they had to play every MAC team at least once in basketball.

The Temple game is part of the MAC's contract with Temple football. We owed them a return game after they played at Akron.
Are you or the yard Nome going to explain this one?
I thought gnome retired. :cheers: I think the kid is confused. Part of the Temple deal with the MAC was, we let them play football in our conference and in turn, they had to play every MAC team at least once in basketball.
Close. The deal is once at home and once away. Otherwise you would have teams that get stuck with a road game with no guarantee and no return game, while others get to host a good team without having to pay them.

Quick-- Better check Niagra's record and history :mad_flame: .
I am aware that Niagra is a good mid-major program and have no problem with them being on the schedule. That being said, they aren't going to impress the selection committee. The way I look at this schedule is that we have the middle of it pretty well set with quality mid-majors like CSU, Wyoming, Niagra and UIC. We've got one top-level mid-major in Temple. We've got one decent power conference team in Indiana State. We need to find a few more teams for the top of our schedule. Teams like a Texas A&M. Even in their best year, Niagra does not bring the clout the a Texas A&M does.

Texas A&M did not have a winning season for an entire decade from 1994-2004. Niagara has been a little more consistent in recent years, but just 4 years ago they were 11-18. All teams have their up and down periods. Only a few programs produce consistent winners year after year after year. It's not easy to schedule a major power on short notice. Often the commitments are made several years in advance, and there's no guarantee that the team you schedule a few years in advance won't be in a down year when you play them.

This is fast becoming a dead horse type topic.I do like the schedule as it's being listed in this thread.Off the top of my head, I think the Zips would do well to get a few teams on the schedule as often as possible:- Niagara (play them every year .. it's a good mid-major)- Duquesne (unless we have Pitt on the schedule .. I think it's a good idea to play in Pittsburgh regularly, plus that's an upstream (conference wise) game on the schedule- Cleveland St. (we should play every year)- Youngstown St. (ditto)Those games cover the local area, as well as fertile recruiting ground in Western PA, which has been productive of late.Then add to that 4-6 games that float.- Pick 1 or 2 other Horizon teams (Wright St / UIC), alternating Home & Homes.- Home & homes with another A10 (URI / Dayton / UMass / Temple)- Home & homes with projected top OVC and/or Sunbelt team. This is recruiting area to the south of the MAC, and the trips are manageable, and the teams (APSU, Murray St. .. etc) are solid.That leaves 3 or 4 more games to fill, probably with a Tournament taking 2 or 3 of them. I don't have an issue with one or two A&M type games each year, but I'd like to keep that to one Road game & one neutral.I like having 6+ home non-conf games. I like seeing the Zips in person. I don't think our schedule this year is really that far off. Next year's (as listed above anyway) appears to be a moderate up-tick in the mid-range of the non-conf schedule. I'm ok with it.Go Zips!

Quick-- Better check Niagra's record and history :mad_flame: .
I am aware that Niagra is a good mid-major program and have no problem with them being on the schedule. That being said, they aren't going to impress the selection committee. The way I look at this schedule is that we have the middle of it pretty well set with quality mid-majors like CSU, Wyoming, Niagra and UIC. We've got one top-level mid-major in Temple. We've got one decent power conference team in Indiana State. We need to find a few more teams for the top of our schedule. Teams like a Texas A&M. Even in their best year, Niagra does not bring the clout the a Texas A&M does.
Better SPELL check too! Are the posters on this thread aware that it's spelled N-I-A-G-A-R-A? I think when that male enhancement pill came out everything changed. People saw the falls, but forgot how to spell its name.

OK, here is a OOC schedule that might impreaa the Committee. OSU, X, Dyton, WVU, Pitt, Kentucky, Tenn, No. Iowa and Florida, all on the road. Think that would do it?
Sure would. And it would also help us prepare for conference road games.But realistically, just adding a couple more games per year against teams of this caliber would be a benefit to us in a number of different ways.

As was posted, there are still 4 more dates to fill and I argue that Miami (FL) IS a big time team on schedule. 2 of the 4 being blockbuster games which we have no control over. Maybe its not a schedule that will challenge Gonzaga but removing the Malones and St Francis' is making progress in my opinion. Maybe with Rick Boles help we can get OSU on schedule one of these years and be one of their 22 home games!! Id like to see Shaka Smart and KD get together and renew the VCU series.

As was posted, there are still 4 more dates to fill and I argue that Miami (FL) IS a big time team on schedule. 2 of the 4 being blockbuster games which we have no control over. Maybe its not a schedule that will challenge Gonzaga but removing the Malones and St Francis' is making progress in my opinion. Maybe with Jeff Boals help we can get OSU on schedule one of these years and be one of their 22 home games!! Id like to see Shaka Smart and KD get together and renew the VCU series.
Fixed it for ya! :rolleyes:

As was posted, there are still 4 more dates to fill and I argue that Miami (FL) IS a big time team on schedule. 2 of the 4 being blockbuster games which we have no control over. Maybe its not a schedule that will challenge Gonzaga but removing the Malones and St Francis' is making progress in my opinion. Maybe with Rick Boles help we can get OSU on schedule one of these years and be one of their 22 home games!! Id like to see Shaka Smart and KD get together and renew the VCU series.
I don't think Dambrot likes playing his friends. He's good buds with the Wright State coach, and mentioned he would not play them during the regular season for that reason.

Does anybody know when the Vegas tourney takes place? Would be nice if it could be combined with a soccer event in Santa Barbara, around Dec 10th. :D

I think this change in scheduling philosophy may be a good thing. I really don't think we need to schedule any more than one more bigger name opponent. The problem in my opinion has been too many teams on the schedule that end up with RPIs around 280 or worse. I'm not saying we should never play schools at the bottom of D-1 but we shouldn't play 3 to 5 of them in the same season. I'd like to see more teams that are average to good teams in decent mid-major conferences or teams that are at or very near the top in the bottom conferences.The Las vegas tournament next year sounds intriguing. I'd have to think UNLV would be involved in that event too.

I think this change in scheduling philosophy may be a good thing. I really don't think we need to schedule any more than one more bigger name opponent. The problem in my opinion has been too many teams on the schedule that end up with RPIs around 280 or worse. I'm not saying we should never play schools at the bottom of D-1 but we shouldn't play 3 to 5 of them in the same season. I'd like to see more teams that are average to good teams in decent mid-major conferences or teams that are at or very near the top in the bottom conferences.The Las vegas tournament next year sounds intriguing. I'd have to think UNLV would be involved in that event too.
Id like to see gonzaga on the schedule............ so we can get a lil payback.

They switched how they did the bracketbusters, so the return game won't be until the 2011-2012 season. Though, we will still host a bracketbuster game next year.Schedule does look very similar to this year's schedule up to this point. The last four games can make it better, but I have feeling they are going to be buy-games at home.

I really don't see this as a dead horse discussion. From what's been said here, it appears as if the Zips are not far away from having a schedule strength that would be at least satisfactory to the large majority of fans.A too weak schedule doesn't help toughen up the team for conference play, and a too strong schedule can demoralize the team with too many big losses. A good balance of weak, moderate and strong opponents that will please everyone is elusive, as can be seen in discussions on college sports forums across the country.I can see the sweet spot changing if KD keeps getting better recruits. For example, it makes sense to at least slightly increase the difficulty of the Zips schedule in each of Zeke's 4 seasons. By his junior and senior years, Zeke should be capable of leading the team to a major upset or two, which would in turn help in recruiting even better players to the program.At this point it appears that most of us would be satisfied if just 2 or 3 of the weaker opponents typically found on recent Zips season schedules could be replaced by stronger ones. Upgrading 3 opponents represents changing only about 10% of the Zips annual schedule, so we're not talking massive changes here.

They switched how they did the bracketbusters, so the return game won't be until the 2011-2012 season. Though, we will still host a bracketbuster game next year.Schedule does look very similar to this year's schedule up to this point. The last four games can make it better, but I have feeling they are going to be buy-games at home.
+1The last 4 games will make or break this schedule. Unfortunatly, looking at our schedules the last few years and looking at this schedule, the one thing missing are those buy games against terrible teams nobody cares about.