Can AA have a 7th year?

zestycoyote

Giorgio Bowers has left the Zips for personal reasons, coach Rob Ianello announced Tuesday. Bowers, a freshman from Olympian Fields, Ill., played in all five UA games and was used at running back and on special teams. He had eight rushes for 27 yards, and had one tackle on special teams.

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/zips/2010/10/f...rs-leaves-zips/

We have no incoming RBs, and both AA and Nate Burney are graduating.

That leaves Dale Martin, Broderick Alexander, and Jawon Chisholm as our only running backs for 2011.

Call me crazy, but I think we'll see a couple in the next recruiting class. And "yes" I realize I put one on a tee for Zipmeister.

Too bad. I thought Giorgio looked like the real deal. Actually, when Erik Howard decommitted, I couldn't have cared less because Giorgio looked like a much more explosive back than Erik. Tyson Gulley relegated Erik to the bench during the Ohio North-South All-Star Game & I though Giorgio looked like a more complete back than Tyson.

I wish Giorgio good luck. I hope we don't see him @ another MAC school.

Too bad. I thought Giorgio looked like the real deal. Actually, when Erik Howard decommitted, I couldn't have cared less because Giorgio looked like a much more explosive back than Erik. Tyson Gulley relegated Erik to the bench during the Ohio North-South All-Star Game & I though Giorgio looked like a more complete back than Tyson.

I wish Giorgio good luck. I hope we don't see him @ another MAC school.

Coincidence that he originally decided on attending Northern Illinois and leaves the week after we get demolished by...Northern Illinois?

I wouldn't count him out yet.... a lot of guys I played with "left the team" for "personal reasons" for a little while before returning. The difference was we didn't have Rasor reporting everytime someone scratched their balls (not that we all don't appreciate that obviously).

Whether he does or doesn't return, RI should have one thing on his mind right now: JUCO JUCO JUCO. JUCO at QB, JUCO at RB, JUCO at WR, JUCO on the O Line, JUCO in the secondary. A lot of top JUCO guys are just looking for an assurance that they'll come in and play, being that they have a limited time left to do so, and I think RI could certainly guarantee most of them that. Normally I would be opposed to building a team on JUCOs, but if RI doesn't turn this around quick, he will be fired after next season. He doesn't have time to "build" a program the "right way".

Plus, it's in the Zips program's best interest at this point to get some guys in who can help us NOW. Building a team on JUCOs and winning will be far less destructive for the long term than laying claim to the nation's longest losing streak and becoming a complete joke. Win now, and we can get those good freshman recruits for the future. Go 0-24 over the next 2 seasons and it wont matter if we're playing in Buckingham Palace, no one is going to want to come here.

I wouldn't count him out yet.... a lot of guys I played with "left the team" for "personal reasons" for a little while before returning. The difference was we didn't have Rasor reporting everytime someone scratched their balls (not that we all don't appreciate that obviously).

Whether he does or doesn't return, RI should have one thing on his mind right now: JUCO JUCO JUCO. JUCO at QB, JUCO at RB, JUCO at WR, JUCO on the O Line, JUCO in the secondary. A lot of top JUCO guys are just looking for an assurance that they'll come in and play, being that they have a limited time left to do so, and I think RI could certainly guarantee most of them that. Normally I would be opposed to building a team on JUCOs, but if RI doesn't turn this around quick, he will be fired after next season. He doesn't have time to "build" a program the "right way".

Plus, it's in the Zips program's best interest at this point to get some guys in who can help us NOW. Building a team on JUCOs and winning will be far less destructive for the long term than laying claim to the nation's longest losing streak and becoming a complete joke. Win now, and we can get those good freshman recruits for the future. Go 0-24 over the next 2 seasons and it wont matter if we're playing in Buckingham Palace, no one is going to want to come here.

+1 strategy

No doubt. We can't afford to wait 2-3 for guys to "develop" at this point, or we're going to have a very painful era of Zips football upcoming. QB Mike Johnson and DB Victor Green are just a couple of guys who come to mind who stepped in here and became instant stars after spending their first two years at a JC.

We need a lot of help, and we need it now.

+1 strategy

JUCO at QB? I don't know...

What I do know about QB is you can surround yourself with absolute garbage, and instantly win 4-5 games in the MAC, if you have a great scrambling/playmaker quarterback. Cribbs and Edelmann are two prime examples. Frye, to a lesser extent. Nate Davis leaves Ball State and they go from Top 15 to Bottom 10.

We need a GREAT do-it-all QB, if we are to turn things around quickly. Can such a guy be successful in the pro set? Hmmm...

JUCO WR? Absolutely. Mandatory. A couple.

JUCO RB? Probably. But a great HS RB would be acceptable.

JUCO OL? IMO - That never works out. OL's are best when they grow up together. It's rare to see an impact JUCO OL, at least in the MAC. But if there any out there, sure. It's a need.

JUCO secondary? Sure, but hopefully we can get some bigger HS guys to play corner too.

We need a GREAT do-it-all QB, if we are to turn things around quickly. Can such a guy be successful in the pro set? Hmmm...

No.

I hate the idea of firing a coach after one year. I have no idea what his buyout would be though. If it is only one year and we are absolutely horrible at the end of the year, we should do it.

iCoach is a pro style coach. That's fine, but it isn't what is needed at UofA. I don't think a coach can change his spots. A coach does what he does. iCoach doesn't do spread offense. He comes from ND and Wisconsin where they run pro style offenses. It's all he knows. He isn't going to change and we shouldn't ask him to change. We don't have time to wait and see if he can change. Time is not on the side of the Zips right now.

The difference was we didn't have Rasor reporting everytime someone scratched their balls (not that we all don't appreciate that obviously).

Are you saying the ABJ jock sniffer would be in the best position to know if someone was scratching their balls?

I partly agree with this, I do appreciate having my balls scratched (but I didn't realize it was obvious).

We have no incoming RBs, and both AA and Nate Burney are graduating.

That leaves Dale Martin, Broderick Alexander, and Jawon Chisholm as our only running backs for 2011.

Call me crazy, but I think we'll see a couple in the next recruiting class. And "yes" I realize I put one on a tee for Zipmeister.

Call me incredibly good looking, but I don't understand the penchant of some folks on this board to be publicly denigrated. However, since you insist, you're crazy.

+1 strategy

JUCO at QB? I don't know...

What I do know about QB is you can surround yourself with absolute garbage, and instantly win 4-5 games in the MAC, if you have a great scrambling/playmaker quarterback. Cribbs and Edelmann are two prime examples. Frye, to a lesser extent. Nate Davis leaves Ball State and they go from Top 15 to Bottom 10.

http://www.fliqz.com/aspx/permalink.aspx?v...eb23c3d742a3897

Could this be the guy we're looking for? Reminds me a lot of #5.

Potts played a fair amount in the spring game and he struggled against our reserves. Looks to be a high school roll-out QB with a questionable arm.

Unfortunately, we know all too well that arm strength is only one piece of a very big puzzle of what it takes to be a good QB. And that's not to say that we should be giving every other QB on our roster a chance. But, with our running game being very effective over the last couple of games, I would think our opportunities in our air attack would be opening up substantially. I'm just done trying to put a value on our QBs physical attributes, and continuing to wait for "development" after 15 or so games. I want to see if we have a guy on this roster who can get the ball to receivers with simply a reasonable amount of consistency. I don't think that's asking much.