Ken+ State Baseball

Dr Z

Rooting  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are playing at a very high level. Great players and fun to watch. For the second time in my life, I am rooting for the Flashes (the other time being their Elite 8 hoops run). Lots of respect for their baseball team.

If they were to win it all, how would it compare to our soccer national title? Equivalent? Better? Lesser? I guess that is another poll for another day.

I saw that Josh Cribbs chartered a 53-person bus "to make sure K.e.n.t. was well-represented in Omaha." Nice gesture.

I can never root for Ken+, period.

But, let me add something, which bothers me a bit, and surely must frustrate the heck out of the soccer fanatics on this board.

Ken+ is only in the Sweet-16 of the college baseball tournament, and are getting tons of Cleveland sports coverage, and at least one of the stations is sending a sportscaster to Omaha to do live reports from all of their games. I only wish that soccer was popular enough so that reporters would be traveling around with our guys during our championship soccer runs, and get us that kind of publicity. Some people may not want to agree with me, but maybe it's just another testament to how far soccer is buried down at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the interest of American sports fans.

If they were to win it all, how would it compare to our soccer national title? Equivalent? Better? Lesser? I guess that is another poll for another day.

I know one thing, just BEING in the CWS is getting them tons of coverage (see my post). I only wish that we could garner the same attention for soccer.

But, let me add something, which bothers me a bit, and surely must frustrate the heck out of the soccer fanatics on this board.

Ken+ is only in the Sweet-16 of the college baseball tournament, and are getting tons of Cleveland sports coverage, and at least one of the stations is sending a sportscaster to Omaha to do live reports from all of their games. I only wish that soccer was popular enough so that reporters would be traveling around with our guys during our championship soccer runs, and get us that kind of publicity. Some people may not want to agree with me, but maybe it's just another testament to how far soccer is buried down at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the interest of American sports fans.

I feel the same way. How many times has Akron made it far in the soccer tournament? Yet no one cares. We have 3 national championship appearances, and this is the ONLY time Can't has made it into the CWS. Which by the way consists of 8 teams. So how is that the World Series? This is the same as if Akron was in the elite 8 for soccer. Which happens what, at least every other year? If you are an Akron fan rooting for Can't, you're like a Browns fan rooting for the Squeelers. Doesn't make sense...

+1

Glad I am in Southern California where I don't have to watch and listen to the Cleveland media. I hope they exit the tournament quickly!

Impossible to root for Can't at this point. Also, them winning a national title in baseball is no doubt more important and prestigious than us winning in soccer. Baseball is vastly more popular at the college level than soccer, and if you need proof, just head to the south/southeast/southwest in the spring and see for yourself...it's unbelievable.

Let's go Arkansas!

Both sports do not generate revenue for either school. Baseball events are free.
Ken+ sure is getting a LOT of advertising out of this run. What do you think that dollar amount on that is?

Do you think Dr P would like everybody talking about Akron, tuning in to watch the games on tv, and seeing Akron on the news every night?

That might help his 10,000 more students by 2020 cause.

Since we will never see that poll, I'll weigh in.

Winning the cws would be better. The cws is played at prime time on ESPN and not ESPNwhatever. The soccer national title game is played on ESPNU and it on at the same time the NFL is on. I guess ESPN has to fill the air with something. Americans care about baseball and we don't really care about soccer. At least not enough for ESPN to put the national championship game on primetime against a popular sport.

Soccer is a college sport, like hockey, where a school like Akron or Ferris State or University of Denver can focus on and get good. There aren't many good college soccer programs like there aren't many good college hockey programs. It is easier to get good in these sports and compete on a national level. American kids who tend to not do well at other sports gravitate to soccer so the gene pool isn't as great so the talent is equally bad for all teams. Below average Europeans can come to America and do extremely well in college soccer and they would have never seen the field in Europe because the talent for soccer is so great. Get a few good Europeans to make the Americans look good and you can have a national championship college soccer program. The formula really isn't that difficult.

Many of the teams the Flashes are able to compete against, and win, are southern schools. They take baseball very serious down here and most of the schools play many more games than their counterparts. In the summer, many kids play in a league like the CPL, similar to the Cape Cod League if anyone has heard of it. We have a local team around Charlotte called the Gastonia Grizzlies (The games are a blast to go to and the do a better job of making the time at the game fun than the Charlotte Knights, AAA White Sox). They play many more games than their northern counterparts and are very well trained. Can't is doing great against some very, very good talent.

Since we will never see that poll, I'll weigh in.

Winning the cws would be better.

There's no doubt. GP1, if you lived up here you'd see that Ken+ has already gotten far more TV coverage than we got for winning a national soccer title. And that coverage is coming BEFORE the CWS has even started. I think Channel 5 has even already sent a Sportscaster out ot Omaha. It sucks for us, but it's reality. It's baseball, not soccer.

American kids who tend to not do well at other sports gravitate to soccer so the gene pool isn't as great so the talent is equally bad for all teams.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm coaching youth sports and can tell you your 100% wrong. I've seen so many good youth baseball players quit for spring soccer. Ive seen extremely talented high school football players quit for soccer. Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Durant wouldn't have a chance at the MLS. Your best baseball and football players would probably struggle with soccer as well. You're so out of touch with reality.

The best athletes play the sport they're best at, not what they prefer. Which is why Lebron plays basketball instead of football, why Chad Johnson plays football instead of soccer, why Michael Jordan played basketball instead of baseball.

:wave:

I highly doubt Can't's media exposure from this is getting the attention it deserves from the high school crowd. They don't get their news from local sources, they get it from the Huffington Post or some other online news site. Even if Can't was to win the CWS, I doubt they could get an attendance above 1,000 next year.

I highly doubt Can't's media exposure from this is getting the attention it deserves from the high school crowd. They don't get their news from local sources, they get it from the Huffington Post or some other online news site. Even if Can't was to win the CWS, I doubt they could get an attendance above 1,000 next year.

That's not really the point. The point is college baseball is far more prestigious than college soccer. Can't is miserable at drawing fans to anything so that's not really a fair example. College baseball just isn't that popular up here for some reason, but I can bet you that if the Zips were in Can't's position right now they would sure as hell draw 1,000+ a game next spring. Especially playing most games at Canal Park.