Jamel Turner to Akron

eguins

My apologies if this was already posted, but former Ursuline star Jamel Turner appears to be headed to Akron. He's has a rocky ride the past few years but hopefully has his life moving in the right direction.

The kid is a tremendous talent, but I had figured he would go to college out of Ohio just to keep him away from any bad influences close to home. Hopefully Akron being an hour from Youngstown doesn't cause any issues.

T3jdZ.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-star recruit out of HS? Did he ever play for OSU, or is Akron his first school? Couldn't really find anything on him except for the "incident".

He never even made it to campus. He was shot before he got there. A case of wrong place at the wrong time.

This would be a great story if he were able to play. Kid was a stud OLB/DE prospect a couple years back.

Good luck to him.

He never even made it to campus. He was shot before he got there. A case of wrong place at the wrong time.

This would be a great story if he were able to play. Kid was a stud OLB/DE prospect a couple years back.

Good luck to him.

Exactly what I was thinking. The original post made it seem like he had run into trouble, maybe his crowd wasn't the best but the shooting was no way his fault.

While it's difficult to assess whether he's anywhere close to being in shape for football, he left the hospital a few weeks after the shooting and a full recovery was expected at that time.

Given it's been a few years since the shooting, Jamel might even come in here more physically mature (and hopefully otherwise) than he would have if he had gone straight to C-bus.

While it's difficult to assess whether he's anywhere close to being in shape for football, he left the hospital a few weeks after the shooting and a full recovery was expected at that time.

Given it's been a few years since the shooting, Jamel might even come in here more physically mature (and hopefully otherwise) than he would have if he had gone straight to C-bus.

It is not THE shooting. He was shot TWICE.

I sure hope he can keep his "friends" off campus!

this.

Im not going to be naive here. If he has been shot at two different times, he was clearly with the wrong people.

All I have to say is that I hope he has turned himself around. He COULD be a great grab for the Zips.

Thanks for the correction. The link I posted about him expecting a full recovery was after the SECOND shooting.

CK has a good point. I'm not sure Turner ends up at UA without a certain VP of Strategic Engagement.

Wonder if originally being a Tressel recruit helped him find his way to Akron?

All depends on how much you think UA would put themselves at any kind of risk of letting him have anything at all to do with luring a prospective athlete. Unless, you are simply referring to him having a knowledge that JT now works for the University in some capacity. In which case, we have to wonder if that would have any impact at all on an athlete.

All depends on how much you think UA would put themselves at any kind of risk of letting him have anything at all to do with luring a prospective athlete. Unless, you are simply referring to him having a knowledge that JT now works for the University in some capacity. In which case, we have to wonder if that would have any impact at all on an athlete.

Jim Tressel might have a greater impact on UA than Lebron does.

Really though, lets remember our coach is TERRY BOWDEN. I wouldnt be surprised with any transfer he brings to us.

this.

Im not going to be naive here. If he has been shot at two different times, he was clearly with the wrong people.

All I have to say is that I hope he has turned himself around. He COULD be a great grab for the Zips.

I don't want to throw water onto the fire, but....

Back around 1985 there was a famous case in NYC, the "stun gun" case. A suspected pot dealer was "tortured" by Police from the 106 PCT with a stun gun. It left a mark, a bunch of them went to jail. The dealers name was Mark Davidson.

A few years later, they had Greek Fest (a black fraternity get together in the beginning of summer) at Jones Beach on Long Island. Who gets shot at Greek Fest? You got it, good old Mark Davidson.

The point being, if there even is one, it is pretty darn uncommon for someone to be shot "accidently" TWICE. Something is up with with guy, and it may be way beyond the powers of a mere mortal to do anything about it.

I don't want to throw water onto the fire, but....

Back around 1985 there was a famous case in NYC, the "stun gun" case. A suspected pot dealer was "tortured" by Police from the 106 PCT with a stun gun. It left a mark, a bunch of them went to jail. The dealers name was Mark Davidson.

A few years later, they had Greek Fest (a black fraternity get together in the beginning of summer) at Jones Beach on Long Island. Who gets shot at Greek Fest? You got it, good old Mark Davidson.

The point being, if there even is one, it is pretty darn uncommon for someone to be shot "accidently" TWICE. Something is up with with guy, and it may be way beyond the powers of a mere mortal to do anything about it.

Check out the ELEVENWARRIORS website. Some, lets say interesting, comments by this guy regarding the shootings. And, he was a problem at Ursuline,apparently then was 'asked to leave'Fork Union? Whats up with that?

I'm the first one to give a player some slack, but when gun play is involved, I'm not. If a guy gets in a fight off campus or is picked up for speeding or smoking pot or something like that, I can look past it. This kid is a threat to others around him.

By the looks of it, he doesn't have a scholarship. The first time he steps out of line, he gets the boot. Let's just hope someone doesn't get killed the first time he crosses the line.

Youngstown Vindicator story on shooter's sentencing for murder, dated May 21 of this year. It seems clear that Jamel must feel secure enough to move on at this point. I'm not naive enough to dismiss the notion that there may be more to this than meets the eye. On the other hand, it could also simply be the age old rage associated with a jealous boyfriend.

One other item of interest is that Jamel had been attending Butler Community College in Kansas at the time of the trial. I can't find any info on whether he played or not.

I wish we could focus more on him as a football player, as opposed to his past. Things happen, people make mistakes and we really don't know anything about the guy other than the articles. We should be excited, since he was recruited by Ohio State and was a 4-star recruit. He deserves a chance to start over and hopefully we landed some talent!

I wish we could focus more on him as a football player, as opposed to his past. Things happen, people make mistakes and we really don't know anything about the guy other than the articles. We should be excited, since he was recruited by Ohio State and was a 4-star recruit. He deserves a chance to start over and hopefully we landed some talent!

I agree 100 percent with this. This young man deserves a second chance and be surrounded by people who will help him turn his life around. What better people than Terry Bowden and Jim Tressel, two guys who the university gave second chances to. This could be the ultimate turnaround story. Turner was reported as being dead after the second shooting.

Also, he was actually a 5-star recruit and rated in the top 30 in the country before grade issues put his senior season in doubt (before either shooting incidents) and his ranking fell because of that. I remember specifically reading the reason why he dropped out of the top 30 had nothing to do with on-the-field, but simply the academic side.

Obviously, he has some red flags, but the talent is there to become a great football player and student (was offered by Stanford) if he puts his priorities in order.

Here is his high school video:

http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-pro...le&user=138

I agree 100 percent with this. This young man deserves a second chance and be surrounded by people who will help him turn his life around. What better people than Terry Bowden and Jim Tressel, two guys who the university gave second chances to.

Comment directed to all, not wadszip individually. Terry Bowden is the coach of the team, not Jim Tressel. Terry Bowden is a football coach in good standing with the NCAA and will be dealing with the football team on a daily basis. Jim Tressel is a guy who was thrown out of the NCAA and will be doing something other than coaching football.

Terry Bowden didn't need a second chance for anything. He isn't doing this for the money or the glory...he has plenty of both.

Jim Tressel isn't doing it for the second chance. He already has his money and glory as well.

This isn't a stroy about second chances. It is a story about risk and how much risk an organization is willing to take on a person.