Zips Basketball with Keith Dambrot

MaxZIP

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK family.....I need your help here!! Since I do not get STO here in PGH.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can. If you have Direct TV and $13 sports package. Zeke TV! :rock:

I just added the sports package to my Directv service and I live in the South. It was only an additional $8 per month.

The show was great. The only problem was the advertisements within it. They are too outdated and most of the businesses should consider updating them ASAP.

Awesome. Would be really cool if it had a little 24/7 feel to it with some behind the scenes shots during games and practices.
Truer words will not be typed here today. The produces of that show should win awards. It is the best show on TV. It is actually worth a subscription to HBO. I'm not a Flyers or Rangers fan, but I cannot wait until next Wednesday's episode. I learned a ton in the first episode. I typed this on ZN before, but I would do whatever possible to contact the producers and give them whatever they wanted to do HBO special 'Winters Come Early in Akron - Season 1' football special. Maybe IMG will do it.

Looking forward to KD's show, he is always entertaining when mic'd. Good move by U of A. :thumb:

I get HBO in december just for 24/7. Even though it's the Flyers/Rangers this year :puke:

I get HBO in december just for 24/7. Even though it's the Flyers/Rangers this year :puke:
I'm the same since I'm a Pens fan, but the show is so great, it really doesn't matter. I previously went back and watched 24/7 Jimmie Johnson - Race to Daytona from 2008, again, fantastic.

Back on topic: While the show last night comes no where near the production value and information that the HBO 24/7 series does, it was a decent start. It's nice to have something because it gets fans more involved. I want to know more. Considering the budget, I'll give it a C+ with room for improvement. Even though I DVR'd it and fast forwarded through the commercials, they were still annoying. That funeral dude sure got his dollar's worth out of that show!?!?

Considering the budget, I'll give it a C+ with room for improvement.

This seems fair. "Considering the budget," (which I'm sure wasn't much) I'll give it a B-. With, of course, room for improvement. :D

It was obviously not shot in HD, and, IMHO, nowadays, if you don't go HD it's going to look a little amateur-ish.

It was pertinent, in that they talked about the VCU game this Thursday and also shared info on AA's very recent knee surgery.

I liked the show as anything is better than nothing. I still think Joe Dunn can do a little better with the information part. For example, when interviewing Rico, he asked him about how he ended in Akron and Rico said: one of my friends knew Dr. such and such and then Ricky came to see me :cry:

I know nothing about broadcasting but i think that Joe should have slowed down to say Who Dr. XXX was and that Ricky would be coach Rick McFadden (I am assuming).

I was surprised to see McNeese and Bardo in the background eating with the team. Is that a normal thing? are they still in school?

I liked the show as anything is better than nothing. I still think Joe Dunn can do a little better with the information part. For example, when interviewing Rico, he asked him about how he ended in Akron and Rico said: one of my friends knew Dr. such and such and then Ricky came to see me :cry:

I know nothing about broadcasting but i think that Joe should have slowed down to say Who Dr. XXX was and that Ricky would be coach Rick McFadden (I am assuming).

I was surprised to see McNeese and Bardo in the background eating with the team. Is that a normal thing? are they still in school?

Steve is a volunteer coach now and I've seen Bardo at practices this year.

Steve is a volunteer coach now and I've seen Bardo at practices this year.

I know that Steve has sat behind the basket near the Akron bench every game this season and goes to the locker room with the team. With regards to Bardo, I am unaware of his role.

I'm surprised nobody commented on last nights show (my apologies if I missed it somewhere). I thought Joe did a good job with the questions he asked last night, well prepared. KD does not seem so forthcoming on this show as he does on his interviews after the games. I like him better when he is full of emotion, he is more honest. I was disappointed when Joe opened the show and asked what "you" could have done different at the VCU game and he answered by saying "we" missed free throws and "we" butchered plays. I really like the player interviews. Good interview with Nic. Easy show to watch in 17 minutes when you DVR it.

Set it ONCE for a season pass to record all new episodes. Enjoy.

PS If the biggest basketball fans on ZN are not watching this show, who is?

Good question....since I live in PA and not OH..I do not get the show and I don't have Dish Network...soooooo...I need my ZN family to help me out here!! Anyone, anyone, Bueller...Bueller....Bueller!!!!!

KD should interview his own players on this show. Does anyone remember the old Faust TV show on Ch. 23? It was a half hour show around 5:00 right before videos. I had friends who were on it with him and it was the most funny thing to watch. He would interview players and the interviews were funny in that Faust would both ask the questions and answer the questions before the player could get a word out. It went like this...really, it was this bad:

Faust: "So, what position do you play?"

Player: "I...."

Faust: "You play safety don't you?"

Player: "Yes."

Faust: "What town are you from?"

Player: "I..."

Faust: "You're from Cincinnati aren't you?"

Faust: "What's your major?"

Player: "I'm..."

Faust: "It's business isn't it?"

It would go on like this for about five minutes. Am I the only one who remembers this?

KD should interview his own players on this show. Does anyone remember the old Faust TV show on Ch. 23? It was a half hour show around 5:00 right before videos. I had friends who were on it with him and it was the most funny thing to watch. He would interview players and the interviews were funny in that Faust would both ask the questions and answer the questions before the player could get a word out. It went like this...really, it was this bad:

Faust: "So, what position do you play?"

Player: "I...."

Faust: "You play safety don't you?"

Faust: "What town are you from?"

Player: "I..."

Faust: "You're from Cincinnati aren't you?"

Faust: "What's your major?"

Player: "I'm..."

Faust: "It's business isn't it?"

It would go on like this for about five minutes. Am I the only one who remembers this?

OMG! I had forgotten about that awful show. You have described it to perfection. Faust never let the players actually say anything. Come to think of it, Faust really never said anything meaningful either. :lol:

OMG! I had forgotten about that awful show. You have described it to perfection. Faust never let the players actually say anything. Come to think of it, Faust really never said anything meaningful either. :lol:

Everyone dreaded getting selected for an interview because the team made fun of you for a week until the next victim went on air the following week. I wonder if Ch. 23 programing is any better these days.?.?

Everyone dreaded getting selected for an interview because the team made fun of you for a week until the next victim went on air the following week. I wonder if Ch. 23 programing is any better these days.?.?

I recall a call-in TV show with Faust and Joe Dunn. Is this the same show?

I remember calling in one week after K.E.N.T. had upset the Zips in Dix Stadium by loading up the box against the "run & pitch" with the Zips stubbornly sticking to the run (Weems, Gouch & Co.). I asked him if he had second thoughts about not throwing a little more to soften up the defense and, to his credit, he said he actually did have those second thoughts.

BTW, I NOW have KD's show scheduled to be recorded every week from now on.

If you have DTV, I have a small warning, even though I set up "first runs only", I got the show recoded five times!?!

The same thing happens with Tee It Up Ohio, I think it has something to do with STO not filling out the date or info details.

Or my DTV box is embarrassed by my golf game and is trying to help out the only way it knows how.

I also caught the show last week. First off I agree with other posters, they need to get that thing in HD quick. It's looks so mom-and-pop. Second, I enjoyed the Nik interview, I'm proud of his accomplishments in the classroom and his future goals. Third, KD needs to loosen up, Dunn and KD's back and forth seemed a little mechanical. Maybe they need to throw in a desk to sit behind (see every other show on STO) and tell the guys it's OK to talk over each other from time to time. Lastly, where can I buy stock in Eckard Baldwin funeral homes? They seem to be doing well.

Personal note: I like the funeral home guy, I think my extended family has bought him a house over the many decades we've been in Akron, but there's something about that commercial... the dark circles around his eyes, the non-HD quality, the poor JAR lighting... he looks like the Grim Reaper standing next to KD.

I also caught the show last week. First off I agree with other posters, they need to get that thing in HD quick. It's looks so mom-and-pop. Second, I enjoyed the Nik interview, I'm proud of his accomplishments in the classroom and his future goals. Third, KD needs to loosen up, Dunn and KD's back and forth seemed a little mechanical. Maybe they need to throw in a desk to sit behind (see every other show on STO) and tell the guys it's OK to talk over each other from time to time. Lastly, where can I buy stock in Eckard Baldwin funeral homes? They seem to be doing well.

Personal note: I like the funeral home guy, I think my extended family has bought him a house over the many decades we've been in Akron, but there's something about that commercial... the dark circles around his eyes, the non-HD quality, the poor JAR lighting... he looks like the Grim Reaper standing next to KD.

The quality of the commercials are terrible. When they come on, it seems to be a public access channel. :lol:

Sorry I missed the second show. I'll be sure to catch the rest.

I'm not that concerned about the production values of the first few editions of the show. This is a starting point for local fans. It's not as if the Zips have a national following and the show is competing against national TV shows. Eye candy like HD costs money, and is not really critical to the initial goal of attracting hardcore fans like those of us on ZN.o.

I see this as part of a longterm process to grow interest in Zips basketball. Those of us who've attended Zips basketball practices and listened to KD talk to us about the team know that KD is really comfortable doing that. I wouldn't expect him to be that comfortable on the first few TV shows.

I can see the show growing and improving as everyone gets more comfortable doing in front of the camera what KD does so well with the few fans who show up for Zips' practices.

I think it can be productive if everyone feels free to state their opinions here, and if someone from the show monitors these comments and makes adjustments as appropriate.

It'll be interesting to see how far the show has progressed by the last show of the season.