Tourney (MAC and NCAA) picture

wadszip

The committee is after money and the money is in the TV ratings and exciting games. The committee doesn't want to invite a team that has no chance of competing. They don't want a game with the outcome known after the first 5 minutes. Those games lead to viewers switching the channel.

Unfortunately, unlike Illinois and Indiana we don't get 12 opportunities to beat a ranked team in conference play. If we want to show that we can beat the big guys WE HAVE TO PLAY THEM. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to go play the power teams at their homes and according to their rules. It is not fair, I know. I m sorry, I didn't make the rules. 

If we don't want to do that, we have to wait and pray for the Automatic Bid in Cleveland and capitalize on that opportunity. We have never done that. Otherwise, we can go to the NIT and make the final 4 and turn some heads... We have not done that either.

But to keep playing the same game again and again and expect different results is just not smart.

I know that this view is not popular but if we cannot beat Buffalo in our back yard we really do not belong in the NCAA tournament.  We got beat by some bad teams in conference play that did not make it to the final four or to Cleveland.  I think if we had a 30 win season we may have had an argument. We need to beat Buffalo to earn our way into the tournament.  Go Zips!    

• Like 1

Teamrankings.com gives Akron a 67.5% chance of winning today, and an 89% chance of making the NCAA tourney!  So that seems to sound like they consider us a strong at-large bidder.  Sorry to GoZips and his team from Cowlumbus!  :)

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/bulls-zips-2016-03-12/efficiency/?utm_campaign=autoemails&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ncb_postgame_projections_update&utm_content=20160312&utm_term=Akron

50 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Teamrankings.com gives Akron a 67.5% chance of winning today, and an 89% chance of making the NCAA tourney!  So that seems to sound like they consider us a strong at-large bidder.  Sorry to GoZips and his team from Cowlumbus!  :)

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/bulls-zips-2016-03-12/efficiency/?utm_campaign=autoemails&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ncb_postgame_projections_update&utm_content=20160312&utm_term=Akron

Sadly, GoZips is right, we don't win tonight and it's @OSU in the NIT (which isn't diplomatic, they set up matchups based on what makes the most money).

Let's just beat Buffalo and lock up, at worst, a 12 seed.

Has anyone ever seen what some of the "big schools" draw from NIT games?  When they don't want to be there? 

If we play OSWho, and attendance and money are the goal of the NCAA, they'd be better served to put the game at the JAR.  We'd pack the place !! 

And we should get the home game anyway, based on the rankings of the two teams, which isn't even close. 

• Like 1

I just read the Washington Post article this morning about the Bubble Teams.  It's nice to see that they include Akron in that list, and talk about us at length. 

What will make all of you sick is that they believe that Akron will be the highest ranked team left OUT of the tournament this year.  And they also talk about how Top-40 RPI teams like Akron are a LOCK, historically......IF they come from a "power conference".

This supports everything Keith talked about with the biases of tournament selection in his postgame last night. 

Edited by skip-zip

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I just read the Washington Post article this morning about the Bubble Teams.  It's nice to see that they include Akron in that list, and talk about us at length. 

What will make all of you sick is that they believe that Akron will be the highest ranked team left OUT of the tournament this year.  And they also talk about how Top-40 RPI teams like Akron are a LOCK, historically......IF they come from a "power conference".

This supports everything Keith talked about with the biases of tournament selection in his postgame last night. 

So we will be the best team in the NIT. So we will win the NIT...no excuses.

I don't want to post this to raise anyone's hope of a possible NCAA bid.  I lost that hope a few weeks ago.  But I really want you guys to see this. 

St. Mary's and Valpo look to really be at the top of most people's Bubble Watch.  And since they are also non-majora, lets compare them to Akron.

RPI:

Valpo - 49

St. Mary's - 41

Akron - 36

SOS:

Valpo - 179

St. Mary's - 164

Akron - 134

Record Against Top 100:

Valpo - 4-2

St. Mary's - 6-3

Akron - 6-2

Top 25 Wins:

Valpo - 0

St. Mary's - 0

Akron - 0

So, why SHOULDN'T we be pissed off if St. Mary's or Valpo gets an NCAA at large bid over Akron?

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't want to post this to raise anyone's hope of a possible NCAA bid.  I lost that hope a few weeks ago.  But I really want you guys to see this. 

St. Mary's and Valpo look to really be at the top of most people's Bubble Watch.  And since they are also non-majora, lets compare them to Akron.

RPI:

Valpo - 49

St. Mary's - 41

Akron - 36

SOS:

Valpo - 179

St. Mary's - 164

Akron - 134

Record Against Top 100:

Valpo - 4-2

St. Mary's - 6-3

Akron - 6-2

Top 25 Wins:

Valpo - 0

St. Mary's - 0

Akron - 0

So, why SHOULDN'T we be pissed off if St. Mary's or Valpo gets an NCAA at large bid over Akron?

we should!!  but those teams had success in the tourney in prior years!  its a perception.  they probably think akron will not give a competitive game.

• 3 weeks later...