Jump to content
Blue & Gold

Class of '20 Verbal Commits

Recommended Posts

Rosser was the lowest rated commit in the class per 247, but I prefer to have him of course. Not a good look for Coach Zagorski, IMO. Rosser's only other offer was to Rutgers (with the old staff) and Benedictine is Zagorski's alma mater. Decommitments do happen though, even with the top programs.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy's one of my favorite Zips already.  He bleeds blue & gold and isn't even on campus yet.

He seems to have one of those contagiously optimistic personalities much like Mykel Taylor-Bennet or Josh Ward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 9:14 PM, LZIp said:

Rosser was the lowest rated commit in the class per 247, but I prefer to have him of course. Not a good look for Coach Zagorski, IMO. Rosser's only other offer was to Rutgers (with the old staff) and Benedictine is Zagorski's alma mater. Decommitments do happen though, even with the top programs.

My nephew is the right guard for Hoban.  I was at Benedictine vs.Hoban this year & Rosser had a bad game, dropped some easy passes.  Coach Z was there for the first half.  If Hoban has a weakness it is their passing defense & Benedictine did throw fairly well against Hoban but Rosser did not play well.  IMO, which isn’t much

Edited by ComettoZip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ComettoZip said:

My nephew is the right guard for Hoban.  I was at Benedictine vs.Hoban this year & Rosser had a bad game, dropped some easy passes.  Coach Z was there for the first half.  If Hoban has a weakness it is their passing defense & Benedictine did throw fairly well against Hoban but Rosser did not play well.  IMO, which isn’t much

We don’t have a 2022 started yet but he was at Norte Dame a few weeks ago

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we had a pretty successful recruiting weekend. I’ll try to  find a little more information and post tomorrow.

 

We did have one de-commitment in safety Rashun Bass. Idk if it is just coincidence it coincides with getting other commitments this weekend or not. But I saw Bass on tv once this year and thought he was just okay. I’m not losing any sleep over losing his verbal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Looks like we had a pretty successful recruiting weekend. I’ll try to  find a little more information and post tomorrow.

 

We did have one de-commitment in safety Rashun Bass. Idk if it is just coincidence it coincides with getting other commitments this weekend or not. But I saw Bass on tv once this year and thought he was just okay. I’m not losing any sleep over losing his verbal.

Now that I think about, the tweets I saw should be posted in the 2020 Recruiting Thread as opposed to this thread, as I haven't found any verbals yet.  Though I know we got a few I'm not yet certain from who.  So I'll post the tweets I saw this weekend in the other thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whew. This staff really better pull something out of their ass to make this class respectable and put an acceptable product on the field next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Jalen Jordan rescinds his commitment.

 

So we bring in a Juco DE in & a DE decommitted, was he afraid of competition or it’s that bad our top recruits are rethinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So God's a Kent State fan...who knew?

 

I know absolutely zero regarding the Zips 2020 recruiting mindset, but after what's likely to be an 0-12 season we need mature bodies that can step in right away and play big boy football. There is no time to bring in Freshman...redshirt them...work them into the line up on special teams as a RSFr....and wait 3 years before they make an impact. Redshirting kids is essentially saving them for the next head coach.

 

If I'm Arth, the whole "recruit local kids from NE Ohio" mantra needs to be put on ice for a couple years and we need to get JUCO's and Grad transfers to InfoCision asap. 330/216/440 area codes be damned.

 

If a "stud" local kid wants early playing time that he otherwise wouldn't get at a P5...or even a "Toledo", by all means get him on campus. But every available 2020 scholarship is precious and I can't see spending any on "projects" with "upside."

 

If this sounds like early-era Bowden, it is. He was in the same situation. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are the blue-and-gold-colored glasses I'm wearing as well.  I'm telling myself it's no coincidence that we had 10 JUCO's touring campus last weekend - apparently getting verbals from a handful of them - and a day later we have three high school seniors de-commit.  I wish Jalen well.  But I'm telling myself that, yes, we need full-grown men to step in and play next year.  I wish Bass well.  But I saw him play this year and he was alright.  I saw other area high school safeties who I think are just as good.  I wish Bulley well.  He's indeed a bully.  But I'm telling myself that he's doing that against high school kids and I'm not certain his skill set will translate to D-1 ball.  And his weight looks like it's going to be an ongoing issue.  Reminds me of Keondre White.

 

There, I feel better now.  Go Zips!

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Teon Dollard may be the RB we got a commitment from.  6-0, 215.  He's a strong runner who looks both quick and fast.  To boot, add in good field vision.  His Hudl highlight tape from this past season is impressive.

Thank you for all your recruit updates. They're greatly appreciated by everyone!💪

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The emphasis should certainly be on getting ready to play players, but we will have the full allotment of 25 scholarships. I wouldn't automatically disqualify recruiting a few true freshman because they couldn't help us year 1. The focus needs to be on stopping the bleeding while building for the future.

 

Bowden always seemed to be focused on the present and scrambled every "free agency", as he referred to it, to fill holes. He kept trying to treat the symptoms instead of curing the real problem. When said player went down there would be a significant drop off in talent from the next man up as we had depth no where. You build depth by recruiting freshmen well as they might have to sit 1 year, but you then get 4 years of playing out of them. There is a finite number of scholarships that you can offer per year (25). If you spend all 25 of those on 3rd to 5th year players, it's mathematically impossible to hit, or even come close to hitting, the 85 scholarship cap. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The emphasis should certainly be on getting ready to play players, but we will have the full allotment of 25 scholarships. I wouldn't automatically disqualify recruiting a few true freshman because they couldn't help us year 1. The focus needs to be on stopping the bleeding while building for the future.

 

Bowden always seemed to be focused on the present and scrambled every "free agency", as he referred to it, to fill holes. He kept trying to treat the symptoms instead of curing the real problem. When said player went down there would be a significant drop off in talent from the next man up as we had depth no where. You build depth by recruiting freshmen well as they might have to sit 1 year, but you then get 4 years of playing out of them. There is a finite number of scholarships that you can offer per year (25). If you spend all 25 of those on 3rd to 5th year players, it's mathematically impossible to hit, or even come close to hitting, the 85 scholarship cap.

 

Not so fast Kemosabe!!!

To learn more about scholarship math click.........................................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

Edited by Zipmeister
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my phone... but we got a big verbal from 6-3, 300-pound JUCO DT Nasir Sy. Sy was a 3-star recruit in hs who was offered by Wisconsin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...