Soccer Recruits Announced

Chris Barton of Walsh Jesuit and Dominic Moore of Firestone are among the eight recruits signed by the nationally ranked University of Akron men's soccer team.Barton, a midfielder, was a 2007 National Soccer Coaches Association of America All-American and Division II state player of the year.Moore, a defender, was second-team all-state as a senior, a two-time all-district selection and a three-time All-City Series pick.The class also includes three players who have been members of national youth teams: defender Kofi Sarkodie of Huber Heights; forward Teal Bunbury of Prior Lake, Minn.; and forward Darlington Nagbe, of Lakewood St. Edward.Other signees are midfielder Ryan Greenhill of Solon, a first-team all-state selection; forward Thomas Schmitt of Berea, who scored 70 goals in his career; and goalkeeper James McCormick of Winter Park, Fla., who had 29 career shutouts.''Once again, we have been fortunate to attract the top national talent and it bodes well for the future of Akron soccer,'' UA coach Caleb Porter said. ''This group should make their presence felt immediately, complimenting our current players while bolstering certain aspects of our team.''In 2007, the Zips won their fifth Mid-American Conference Tournament title on their way to being seeded 14th in the NCAA Tournament.The Zips open the 2008 season at the Indiana University Classic with games Aug. 29 against Notre Dame and Aug. 21 against the host Hoosiers

Wow, there has never been a better time to be a fan of the Socceroos (of the UA variety, not the Aussies :)). I hear next year's recruiting haul is shaping up to be as good as this one or better. Well done Coach Porter, I can't wait for August.

Wow, this is huge! I can't believe it, but I'd honestly say that Akron is honest-to-God one of the elite soccer programs in the country now! That's amazing! This is enormous because I would venture to say that soccer is probably the 3rd most popular collegiate sport, albeit presently coming in an incredibly long distance behind #1 football and #2 basketball.

Wow, this is huge! I can't believe it, but I'd honestly say that Akron is honest-to-God one of the elite soccer programs in the country now!
We were before the announcement of this recruiting class. I can see UA winning a National Championship in the next 3-10 years.www.collegesoccernews.com usually ranks recruiting classes, but doesn't have a related post yet.

Chris Barton of Walsh Jesuit and Dominic Moore of Firestone are among the eight recruits signed by the nationally ranked University of Akron men's soccer team.Barton, a midfielder, was a 2007 National Soccer Coaches Association of America All-American and Division II state player of the year.Moore, a defender, was second-team all-state as a senior, a two-time all-district selection and a three-time All-City Series pick.The class also includes three players who have been members of national youth teams: defender Kofi Sarkodie of Huber Heights; forward Teal Bunbury of Prior Lake, Minn.; and forward Darlington Nagbe, of Lakewood St. Edward.Other signees are midfielder Ryan Greenhill of Solon, a first-team all-state selection; forward Thomas Schmitt of Berea, who scored 70 goals in his career; and goalkeeper James McCormick of Winter Park, Fla., who had 29 career shutouts.''Once again, we have been fortunate to attract the top national talent and it bodes well for the future of Akron soccer,'' UA coach Caleb Porter said. ''This group should make their presence felt immediately, complimenting our current players while bolstering certain aspects of our team.''In 2007, the Zips won their fifth Mid-American Conference Tournament title on their way to being seeded 14th in the NCAA Tournament.The Zips open the 2008 season at the Indiana University Classic with games Aug. 29 against Notre Dame and Aug. 21 against the host Hoosiers
Simply put, Kofi Sarkodie is the top player in America in his age class. But -- when he pl;ayed in the U-17 World Cup last August, he was just 16 y.o. How can he play college soccer at 17? Anyhow, I'll take him!!!!!

Simply put, Kofi Sarkodie is the top player in America in his age class. But -- when he pl;ayed in the U-17 World Cup last August, he was just 16 y.o. How can he play college soccer at 17? Anyhow, I'll take him!!!!!
Sounds like we have a soccer version of Amobi Okoye. Way to go Coach Porter!

Wow, this is huge! I can't believe it, but I'd honestly say that Akron is honest-to-God one of the elite soccer programs in the country now!
We were before the announcement of this recruiting class. I can see UA winning a National Championship in the next 3-10 years.www.collegesoccernews.com usually ranks recruiting classes, but doesn't have a related post yet.
Nice that someone is thinking along the same wavelength as Caleb (and I!). But I happen to believe your time span is too long. I'll be surprised if we don't win a title in the next three years, with our talent.It will be very interresting to see how Akron is ranked in the pre-season. I think the coaches may put Akron top-5, but more reasonable is around #10. A team this young and talented will improve as season advances, and could be a real contender by November -- but I hate to put too much pressure on the kids' shoulders so early. Especially Coach Porter. :D Now let's get that stadium built for our champs!

Nice that someone is thinking along the same wavelength as Caleb (and I!). But I happen to believe your time span is too long. I'll be surprised if we don't win a title in the next three years, with our talent.It will be very interresting to see how Akron is ranked in the pre-season. I think the coaches may put Akron top-5, but more reasonable is around #10. A team this young and talented will improve as season advances, and could be a real contender by November -- but I hate to put too much pressure on the kids' shoulders so early. Especially Coach Porter. :D Now let's get that stadium built for our champs!
You hit upon a subject that was slightly off-topic, so I did not mention it above, but that is the new soccer stadium. Do you think this class will put some healthy, but real, pressure on the trustees to move up the timetable for construction of a new soccer stadium? To get a class like this, do you think Caleb is talking to these recruits about a new stadium? And where would the stadium be? I don't think there is room for a stadium where the pitch is presently located.

You hit upon a subject that was slightly off-topic, so I did not mention it above, but that is the new soccer stadium. Do you think this class will put some healthy, but real, pressure on the trustees to move up the timetable for construction of a new soccer stadium? To get a class like this, do you think Caleb is talking to these recruits about a new stadium? And where would the stadium be? I don't think there is room for a stadium where the pitch is presently located.
I believe the soccer stadium is going to be located in the same place the field is now. There were pictures from an architctural firm of the new soccer stadium online. The page included the downtown arena. Anyone have the link for us?

Soccer stadium plansThere's also a link on their page for the city of Akron/UA arena concept.
Looking at that, they would have to tear down the tennis courts and replace it with greenspace, which I think is in the plans that included the destruction of Carrol Hall. That part should be happening soon. The stands are due to be expanded, since right now the capacity is pretty low. I just hope that they leave room behind the goal for the Goal Patrol to continue harassing the opposing goalies.

Well, it seems to me that if this team makes 1 or 2 deep runs into the NCAA tourney, they'll have no option but to start shelling out money for a new stadium. I don't think the administration is going to let a potential National Championship team suffer. Actually, from the pictures, it looks like the upgrades to the existing stadium aren't that far out of reach. I can see this happening WAY before a new BB arena! BTW, didn't they upgrade the soccer stadium just a few years ago? Sounds like it needs to be updated again. Personally, I've decided I have to attend at least one soccer game a year from this point forward. I don't know the first thing about soccer except that it is good when we kick the ball into their net and bad when they kick the ball into our net. Now, if I can just figure out which one is our goalie, I'll be all set!

I've seen the plans for the new soccer stadium and they are far better that what is shown online. The concept of grass seating behind one goal, as exists now, will continue. I hope that keeps the Goal Patrol happy. The enthusiasm for Zip soccer is continuing to build, but we have to be be realistic when it comes to funding a stadium. The new stadium with design, site prep, relocation, construction, utilities, drainage and playing surface will cost $12 million. No amount of top 5 recruiting classes can produce enough pressure to get the athletic dept to spend that kind of money. Caleb believes it may have to be done in phases which is scarey. They are never done as projected and costs usually cut down the scope of the project.What we need is to have a major donor underwrite the project. Then things will happen quickly. As said in earlier posts, the tennis courts will go, Carroll and Memorial Halls will be torn down to be replaced by one building. The outdoor living room, which the stadium will abutt, will become the south entrance to Buchtel Hall. Those projects have funding. The stadium does not. Caleb is forced to become his own fund raiser, which he is actively doing. Once built, though, the stadium will have a magnificent setting that will be a source of pride to every Zip and member of the nation.We can't expect Caleb to continue to pull in top 5 recruiting classes w/o a better facility. You better believe that all the other schools that want these top kids will hammer us for our facility and our conference. We must leave the MAC for an associate membership in a better conference for soccer. The Big East would be fabulous, but they won't touch us as long as Central Florida wants in for football and all sports. Money talks the loudest and football is want drives most all conference full membership. They won't take us as an associate, got too many members now.For now the best we can do is show up for the games, create an exciting atmosphere for the public and a menacing one for our opponents. If we stay on top and continue moving deeper in the playoffs, Mac and Caleb will find a way to continue our growth. And Yes, Virginia, I do believe we will win a national championship! ;):thumb:

It is my understanding that there is no minimum age requirement to participate in varsity collegiate athletics.

It is my understanding that there is no minimum age requirement to participate in varsity collegiate athletics.
:D You're absolutadootley right neighbor! I was mostly being facetious about Kofi being "underaged". But fact is, he just turned 17 about a month ago. I believe his academic success is partly due to his immersion at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, where along with international soccer competition, players receive intensive classwork and tutoring. It just means one additional year to make the Big $$$ playing in Europe or MLS. Can't wait to see Kof' defend on Michael Green of Strongsville in Sept vs the UNM Lobos. He could and should be the most offensive defender in the NCAA. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

because i could only read it by copy and pasting it...

Akron - The Zips will have a fresh look this year due to the loss of six seniors from the 2007 squad that were multi-year starters. However, the biggest news coming out of Akron is the fact that Caleb Porter has again attracted a recruiting class that boasts a ton of talent and looks to be among the top tier of classes in the country. A couple of seasons ago it looked like a slight window of opportunity existed for teams in the MAC to pick up a little ground on the Zips. In 2006 Northern Illinois University captured the MAC Tourney title and Akron did not receive an invite to the NCAA Tourney. However the Zips responded in 2007 with a 15-4-2 overall record that included a 4-0-1 mark in MAC play and the MAC regular season and tournament titles. Porter’s second consecutive stellar recruiting class likely signals that any window of opportunity that might have temporarily existed has now been closed. That is not to say that the MAC race in 2008 will not be competitive because it will be but Akron is clearly the elite team of the league and looks to be gaining rather than losing momentum. Last year the Zips earned a number fourteen seed in the NCAA Tourney but were one and out in NCAA Tourney play after being upset at home by South Florida 1-0 in overtime. The real measure of Akron’s success in the future will be their ability to continue to take care of business in MAC Conference play while securing wins over high profile non-conference opponents and putting together a decent run in NCAA Tourney play. In 2007 the Zips were extremely effective on the defensive side of the ball holding opponents to a total of only 13 goals. The biggest challenge facing Porter heading into the 2008 campaign will likely be finding a replacement for defender Corey Sipos (3g, 0a) who was the 2007 MAC Conference Player of the Year and a College Soccer News Third Team All-American.. The Zips will also be without backs Devin McKenney and Matt Augustin who were four year starters, veteran midfielders Elliot Bradbrook (5g, 2a) and Steve Kalan (2g, 5a), and forward Pablo Moreira (5g, 2a). The loss of so much experience and leadership may make what is a very difficult early schedule even more daunting for the Zips. Akron opens the season by traveling to Bloomington to face Notre Dame and Indiana in the IU Classic. They then return home to host West Virginia and Cincinnati from the Big East and then take to the road again to face New Mexico and Missouri State in Albuquerque. Despite the losses due to graduation, Akron returns a solid nucleus of players led by senior midfielder Matt Tutich (5g, 3a), senior defender Ossie Michalsen (0g, 2a) and senior goalkeeper Evan Bush. All three are First Team All-MAC selections with three years of starting experience under their belts. Sophomore forward Steve Zakuani (6g, 2a) returns to lead the Akron attack up-top. Zakuani is a prime timer who had an outstanding freshman season that included being named the MAC Newcomer of the Year, a College Soccer News All-Freshman Team selection, and an NSCAA First Team All-Great Lakes Region selection. Junior Stephen Ostergren (2g, 2a) is among other returning players who should vie for playing time up-top. Super sophomores Anthony Ampaipitakwong (2, 0a) and Blair Gavin (1g, 1a) return after earning starting positions last year as freshmen. Ampaipitakwong was a Third Team All-Great Lakes selection and was named to the College Soccer News All-Freshman Team. Gavin added to an already impressive resume with playing time as a member of the U.S. U-20 National team in February 2008. Sophomore Michael Nanchoff (1g, 2a) and junior Ben Zemanski (3g, 0a) are among other returning players who should play key roles in the Akron midfield. Bush gives the Zips an experienced and very sound presence between the pipes. The Concord, Ohio native recorded twelve shutouts in 2007 to up his career total to thirty-five. Bush’s play in goal and Michalsen’s play in the back, particularly in the early going, will likely set the pace for the Zips while some new faces settle into starting roles on the defensive side of the ball. Last year Porter did an excellent job of merging his freshmen recruits in with his returning players. Look for his effectiveness in that regard in 2008 to be a critical success factor for Akron. Porter has announced the addition of an eight member recruiting class that includes three players whose resume includes national team experience and three whose resume includes being named an NSCAA All-American. Porter

The outdoor living room, which the stadium will abutt, will become the south entrance to Buchtel Hall. Those projects have funding. The stadium does not. Caleb is forced to become his own fund raiser, which he is actively doing.
Why has Caleb been forced to do his own fundraising? Not to discount Calebs fundraising skills, but don't we have 3 Athletics Development people to handle this so that Caleb can coach his highly anticipated recruiting class?