Zips vs. BGSU

RowdyZip

I thought I'd get this one started early to get some thoughts of our expert prognosticators. I, for one, am not quite yet willing to make a foray into the world of predictions with our Jekyll and Hyde team. I do think the Zips have a chance to win this, especially seeing EMU pick up a win vs. BG. If you would've asked me the same thing after week one, you wouldn't have gotten the same answer. That being said, those experts in Vegas open us as a two-point dog at home versus Bowling Green? Thoughts? Predictions?Bowling Green (-2)@The University of Akron10/11/20086:00pm EST

My few keys to success on Saturday:1) Jacquemain CANNOT throw as many INTs as he's averaging per game. 2) Our secondary... no wait, our WHOLE defense can't give up huge yd. plays. It's killing us. 3) Make better play calling. Passing on 3 and 1 isn't gonna get it every time. Give it to Tuzze or another RB and run the ball to get the first. 4) Get the TE involved. Just plain and simple. Just my thoughts on the game on Saturday. Go Zips!It's 7:44...AND CAN'T STATE STILL SUCKS!

My few keys to success on Saturday:1) Jacquemain CANNOT throw as many INTs as he's averaging per game. 2) Our secondary... no wait, our WHOLE defense can't give up huge yd. plays. It's killing us. 3) Make better play calling. Passing on 3 and 1 isn't gonna get it every time. Give it to Tuzze or another RB and run the ball to get the first. 4) Get the TE involved. Just plain and simple. Just my thoughts on the game on Saturday. Go Zips!It's 7:44...AND CAN'T STATE STILL SUCKS!
Don't forget the high snaps! That needs to stop.

Don't forget the high snaps! That needs to stop.
Oh yeah, that needs to stop BIG TIME! Thanks.

B) b.g. is no secret...they have a very good QB who can throw and run, they spread the field and gain lots of yards..they beat pitt for god's sake...their D is mediocre...but if that O gets on a roll and the Zips O takes a s..t like saturday at can't b.g. will blow us out...on the other hand, if Johnson is back and Jacquemain some how figures it out...the Zips control their own destiny...be there or be square...

One thing that concerns me.....not only was the game last Saturday an emotional win, but it was also physically draining. Our defense was chasing Edelman all day, to the point where most of them were only able to walk on pass rush situations near the end of the game. Is it easy to be fresh again the following Saturday after doing that for a full game and two overtimes? I sure hope so, because BG is going to spread the field and make us run all over the place again.

One thing that concerns me.....not only was the game last Saturday an emotional win, but it was also physically draining. Our defense was chasing Edelman all day, to the point where most of them were only able to walk on pass rush situations near the end of the game. Is it easy to be fresh again the following Saturday after doing that for a full game and two overtimes? I sure hope so, because BG is going to spread the field and make us run all over the place again.
One thing that might help combat this is that Sheehan, while having pretty good mobility, is still no Edelman with his feet (how many QB's are?). I see the Zips substituting MUCH more freely on the DL against BUGS.

The fate of the MAC East rides on this game. Win, and we're clearly in control. Lose, and we're going to need some help.This game is just as important as the last one, but for different reasons. Last game we were fighting to stay alive in the conference race. This game we are fighting to take control of our own destiny.

Let's set 2 realistic goals for this week that will improve our chances of winning.1. Keep the high snaps to one a quarter, that should cut them down by 50%2. Receivers, only give up one interception off a ball that you tip into the air. *Weather looks to be nice.* I've noticed that #12 has better hands when he is thrown the ball less than 10 yards down the field.(also, while I'm speaking of #12, please don't use him returning punts, we have better talent. Did he win a reward in practice last week?)

I think this team has too many question marks to make an accurate prediction. My experience however is to never bet on the home team during homecoming. I was really disappointed when we scheduled a tough MAC opponent this year instead of the OOC teams we have in the past for homecoming. You can just ask BG about this curse that seems to predominate sports. EMU was their homecoming game. Perhaps this may be in connection to the dance being the night before? I'd bet my house that a good number of the players will be out late and drinking despite whatever J.D.'s rules are on it. After all, boys will be boys.I would really like to see a study done to see how homecoming games affect the home team. I know I am not the only one that has noticed this over the years.I hope I am wrong, I really do. I'm still not going to have high expectations on this one with Akron coming out for Homecoming and BG smarting after an embarrassing loss to EMU on there homecoming night. There is just as much on the line here for BG as there is for us, if not more so. This raises perhaps some bigger questions that might seem pretty pessimistic given the team's high right now, but after BG, the Zips only have 2 more home games. We rarely ever play well against Toledo and I never know what to expect against Buffalo. How successful can the team be if they go the whole season, and the final season of the Rubber Bowl at that, without a home win? If we can manage to win out the away games (which could done easier than winning out at home IMO) and lose all the home games, that puts us at 6-6 on the season. If Ball St can make a BCS game, that means at least four teams from the MAC get to go bowling this year. What would the reaction be if Akron made a bowl but lost all the home games?I know this is really early to be bringing up, but I see it as a real possibility.Something else I see is Akron winning the MAC East again in a Tie-breaking scenario with a 6-6 record, maybe a 7-5 record if they can really step up. If Ball St. can keep the train rolling and finish the season undefeated, they likely go to a BCS bowl, no? Would that leave open the Motor City bowl to us, being MAC runners-up (with a possible losing record if we go 6-7 with the MACC) or would they take a MAC West team if they have a higher record and possibility of better fan turn out (specifically Western Michigan). I know the rules have changed for bowl eligible teams in the last couple years. Would we even be able to go bowling at 6-7, if they last loss game in a championship game?Again, I know it is early, but the MAC is such a mess this year; these and worse scenarios are in play. I would love for Akron to actually put all doubts aside and run the table down the stretch and make it a clear clinch, but my limited time as a MAC fan has told me that the MAC will almost never have a clean finish. That's just how the MAC isAny thoughts on this?

The fate of the MAC East rides on this game. Win, and we're clearly in control. Lose, and we're going to need some help.This game is just as important as the last one, but for different reasons. Last game we were fighting to stay alive in the conference race. This game we are fighting to take control of our own destiny.
I think Buffalo might have something to say about that still. As far as the game. Like someone else already stated, it depends on which teams show up. Both teams have shown the ability to play Jekyl and Hyde football. Looking like world beaters at one minute and primed for the Bottom 10 the next. I hate to say it, but I just can't see us shutting down BG's high powered offense to much. I think we are gonna have to try and keep pace on the scoring end which worries me. Our offense is particularly inconsistent and if we don't get Andrew Johnson back we seem to become much more one dimensional. I would love to see us keep the ball on the ground a lot more and not throw 35-40 times per game. I think the best way to counteract BG's offense (or most any offense for that matter) is to keep them off the field.

I know the rules have changed for bowl eligible teams in the last couple years. Would we even be able to go bowling at 6-7, if they last loss game in a championship game?
Even though all of this is way too far out to project, the answer to this particular question is no. This is exactly the sitaution Miami found themselves in last year and were not bowl eligible - you must have at least six wins and be at or above .500.

I know the rules have changed for bowl eligible teams in the last couple years. Would we even be able to go bowling at 6-7, if they last loss game in a championship game?
Even though all of this is way too far out to project, the answer to this particular question is no. This is exactly the sitaution Miami found themselves in last year and were not bowl eligible - you must have at least six wins and be at or above .500.
That puts a lot of pressure on the home games then. Our away schedule is far more winnable down the stretch than our home is, especially with the home games being of off days. So long as the refs give us a fair call down there in Athens this year :rolltide: It would be such a thrill to have a chance at playing the upset role against Ball St. in the MACC, but if they finish the season at 6-6, a whole lot more will ride on that game.

I hate to say it, but I just can't see us shutting down BG's high powered offense to much. I think we are gonna have to try and keep pace on the scoring end which worries me. Our offense is particularly inconsistent and if we don't get Andrew Johnson back we seem to become much more one dimensional. I would love to see us keep the ball on the ground a lot more and not throw 35-40 times per game. I think the best way to counteract BG's offense (or most any offense for that matter) is to keep them off the field.
I have a lot of respect for Sheehan. He is a hell of a QB proficient, accurate, and big. But as an aside. The offense is not "high powered". To date Sheehan has 6 TD passes. He can move the ball, make no mistake about that. But he averages only 9.8 yards per completion. Compared to Jacq's 11.8.Also BGSU is averaging 23.4 (thru 5 games) points per game. Compared to our 25 (thru 6 games).The offenses are more evenly matched then we would think. The big issue is that BGSU doesn't have a plethora of "almost completion interceptions" like we do. They don't have a ton of turnovers in general. Hopefully our nation leading number of fumble recoveries comes into play a little and evens out the turnover ratio a bit in this game.

That puts a lot of pressure on the home games then. Our away schedule is far more winnable down the stretch than our home is, especially with the home games being of off days. So long as the refs give us a fair call down there in Athens this year :rolltide: It would be such a thrill to have a chance at playing the upset role against Ball St. in the MACC, but if they finish the season at 6-6, a whole lot more will ride on that game.
:blink: no bowl game for the Zips unless they go to the MAC chamionship game...3 teams in the West will have a better shot...then there is Temple,Buffalo, B.G....don't kid yourself it will take 7-5 to get a sniff...

I think this team has too many question marks to make an accurate prediction. My experience however is to never bet on the home team during homecoming. I was really disappointed when we scheduled a tough MAC opponent this year instead of the OOC teams we have in the past for homecoming. You can just ask BG about this curse that seems to predominate sports. EMU was their homecoming game. Perhaps this may be in connection to the dance being the night before? I'd bet my house that a good number of the players will be out late and drinking despite whatever J.D.'s rules are on it. After all, boys will be boys.I would really like to see a study done to see how homecoming games affect the home team. I know I am not the only one that has noticed this over the years.I hope I am wrong, I really do. I'm still not going to have high expectations on this one with Akron coming out for Homecoming and BG smarting after an embarrassing loss to EMU on there homecoming night. There is just as much on the line here for BG as there is for us, if not more so. The team stays at a hotel the night before the game so I don't think you'll have to worry about the players going out to party the night before. So I don't think homecoming in college really plays a role in what the team does the night before. Nothing that goes along with homecoming really affects the players so I don't think your logic works here. Might just be some kind of fluke thing that you have noticed.

The team stays at a hotel the night before the game so I don't think you'll have to worry about the players going out to party the night before. So I don't think homecoming in college really plays a role in what the team does the night before. Nothing that goes along with homecoming really affects the players so I don't think your logic works here. Might just be some kind of fluke thing that you have noticed.
You can't tell me that just because they are in a hotel that some of them don't go out and party, especially given the personality of a lot of these players. I know first hand that in high school, the players would go out and get drunk before homecoming. But then again, I went to a tiny little D6 school out in the middle of no where, so I am sure those kinds of things may be a little more strictly enforced at Akron. Still, I would almost guarantee that at least some of these players have a good night on homecoming, even if it is in their own room at the hotel.

I know when I played very few would attempt to sneak out if any. Coaches come by the rooms to check to see if you are there pretty late in the night. Twice in my career the ones that did got caught. It's just not worth it. You obviously never ran the Rubber Bowl stairs all the way around. I'm a grown ass man and I would slap my momma to get outta stadium stairs. Most wait till after the game to get hammered. A win lets get hammered, we lost throw a pity party and get hammered.

Hate to say it but I feel a blowout coming. After the kind of win we had at Can't i expect a letdown for our Zips. Hope I am wrong!
Returning to a continuing side issue in this thread. If the coaches can't see the high snaps and get the situation corrected, lets get them some glasses. If the coaches see the problem but can't train the center to snap the ball lower, lets get a new center..If we can't get a different center, lets recruit taller quarterbacks.By the way, Akron will win by 14 points this weekend.