Thursday's Scrimmage

Blue & Gold

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just making an educated guess on the information I have and what I've observed. I think it comes down to two things with Steve. First and foremost, he's an offensive player who doesn't show up much on defense (supposedly). It's a well known fact that if you don't play you some D, you don't get minutes for KD. Second, I suspect that the HS injuries have slowed him down a step or two. This team is looking to push the ball up and down the floor more this year and having a guy out there who can't keep up makes it tough to do that. Either way, it is disappointing. I hated seeing the look on his face on the bench last night.

I saw alot of potential at the JAR Thursday, but its going to take a while to get all the pieces to fit together. I think that even though it didn't show against Walsh, Humpty is going to be a great player. He seems to just glide along the floor when pushing the ball up the court. We have three guys who can create their own shot off the dribble in Roberts, Steward and Hitchens. All three seem to be able to just stop and pop from anywhere from the three point line or in the paint. This will be a very different type of team than we've seen in the past few years. :)

Where in gods name is Steve Swiech? Have we given up on this guy already?
Why would anyone think we've "GIVEN UP" on anyone. He didn't play last night. Means he's not in the top 10 on a deep team, 1 game into his RS freshmen season.Patience is in order. Steve's a work in progress with lots of time.Another thing perhaps .. we know that Steve's not going redshirt this year, so seeing other people in the scrimmage (Cvetinovic) was more important than Sweich.I can't understand why everyone is so quick to bury this guy after one game .. and can judge from 100' away what he's thinking during the game on the bench.Go Zips!

FOR THOSE OF YOU OUT OF RADIO RANGE (&W/STATIONS WE HAVE THAT AIN'T TOO FAR!) GO TO SPORTSRADIO1350.COM AND CLICK ON LISTEN LIVE. VOLIA! YA GOT FRENCHIE.
You cannot listen live during sports broadcasts. At least it has not worked for football for me, it says when you try to that you cant.
I believe that in order to listen on the internet you've got to purchas a ZipPass on GoZips.com. Then you listen from the Zips website. It's worth it IMHO. They often have video as well as audio. I believe it cost $60 a year, but I have watched a number of different football and basketball games online.

FOR THOSE OF YOU OUT OF RADIO RANGE (&W/STATIONS WE HAVE THAT AIN'T TOO FAR!) GO TO SPORTSRADIO1350.COM AND CLICK ON LISTEN LIVE. VOLIA! YA GOT FRENCHIE.
You cannot listen live during sports broadcasts. At least it has not worked for football for me, it says when you try to that you cant.
I believe that in order to listen on the internet you've got to purchas a ZipPass on GoZips.com. Then you listen from the Zips website. It's worth it IMHO. They often have video as well as audio. I believe it cost $60 a year, but I have watched a number of different football and basketball games online.
on sportsradio1350 there is no fee to listen during games, both football and basketball. French for free? Yes please :)

A couple of people that went told me they were pretty much playing for themselves, no team chemistry, especially the freshman, is that something you saw?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think a lot of what happened with the freshman was nerves. There were times that they were rushing shots and missing big time. I didn't notice any selfish play from Steward in the least. Probably the biggest culprit if there was any going on was Brett. Especially early in the game he seemed to be a bit of a black hole. When the ball went into him it just wasn't coming back out. In any event it is going to take some time for that chemistry to develop.

A few more observations:- The Zips will be fine on offense. I think the run and gun will be fun to watch. For me, B & C McKnight and McNees will offer good options in the half court set. Bardo's increasing offensive arsenal will help also. Add to that the new guards' ability to move and score in the open court & on the break. And Linharts "let it come to him" game ... Zips should score plenty.- Defense was horrid. Can't say it better than KD did on the radio. Nobody was good .. not everyone was terrible, but no one was good. The closing lineup of Steward, Roberts, Conyers, Linhart & C McK was the best of the day. I do think that a lot of the issue was "playing together" rather than playing hard. Effort didn't seem to be lacking, but the communication and help D was lacking. I think Bardo took some fouls on cleaning up other guys' messes coming down the lane.- Good news is that this is all fixable. You can't teach quickness and athleticism. They can teach defense. - Ronnie appears ahead of Humpty at this point. But I have confidence that both will play important minutes and help this team. Lots of depth in the backcourt. It's tough to really play 4 guards .. but KD has 4 talented ones to rely on. 2 of which have big game experience.- Frontcourt looks promising also. CMcK can step up. BMcK can score (can he defend? that we will see). Nate is Nate .. Jimmy can provide a defensive spark .. and I think Bardo's going to be better than anyone imagined. The dude is HUGE.Best thing about this exhibition is that they got some time against another team. Were able to score the basketball, and nearly lost because of no D. That gives the fans some energy (the scoring), gets some of the jitters out of the young guys and gives KD something to work the guys over about. I suspect they'll be a bit better next week.Last year, they were pretty bad in Alaska .. but it turned around. I anticipate the same this year.Go Zips! Go Trevor. Go Sharpen your pencil Zeke!

A couple of people that went told me they were pretty much playing for themselves, no team chemistry, especially the freshman, is that something you saw?
Ma'am, we enjoyed having your favorite player on the team. We all really did. He was a big contributor. During that time, the Moderators tolerated some of your false rumors and trying to stir up dissension. It's natural to hope one's favorite gets more playing time and can be a bigger part. I'll never question that.But now that you don't have a purported "inside feed" or agenda to get your player more PT .. knock it off. Thanks & Go Zips!ZW

Ma'am, we enjoyed having your favorite player on the team. We all really did. He was a big contributor. During that time, the Moderators tolerated some of your false rumors and trying to stir up dissension. It's natural to hope one's favorite gets more playing time and can be a bigger part. I'll never question that.But now that you don't have a purported "inside feed" or agenda to get your player more PT .. knock it off. Thanks & Go Zips!ZW
What are you talking about?

I'll add some thoughts....Put me in the group with those who believe that there is no way..under any circumstances....that a team like Walsh should outrebound us that significantly. Players can be a little nervous, and out of synch, but our athletic ability alone should automatically make us better in this area. It appears that Ronnie may finally be that pg that we've needed so desperately since Dru's departure. I've heard a lot about Steve S. coming along very slowly in his development. He may in fact not be ready to contribute for us this year, and that's a dissappointment. But, it sure doesn't mean we need to give up on him.

I'll add some thoughts....Put me in the group with those who believe that there is no way..under any circumstances....that a team like Walsh should outrebound us that significantly. Players can be a little nervous, and out of synch, but our athletic ability alone should automatically make us better in this area.
Stop making sense. A team like Walsh should never outANYTHING a D-1A school as it relates to basketball. I have no problem if they can outSAT Score us, but anything involving athletics should be a hands down win for UofA.I don't want to hear the excuse that this was an early season game either. It's early season for Walsh also. UofA gave up 81 points to an NAIA team. That's terrible.I will be going to two early season games and I hope to God I don't have to watch the Zips get beat badly. We are going into the 2008-2009 season, not waiting around for the 2009-2010 season. There are tickets sold and games to be played. Get freaking winning. Good day!

I also witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly in this game, and there was definitely some of each. ;)Maybe it's because I've been following sports for more than a half century, but I've learned over the decades not to worry about that which doesn't count. I've seen many pre-season phenoms fold and many pre-season busts blossom. If the coaches and players get what they need out of practices, scrimmages and games that don't show up in the standings, that's more important than "winning" those practices, scrimmages and games that don't show up in the standings that count towards league championships and post-season tournament bids.What really matters most in the long run is the organization. If the coach is good, he'll get the most out of the team regardless of the individual abilities of the players. If you believe in the quality of the coach and the talent of the individuals, then it's a waste of time to lament the results of a single game that doesn't count in the standings.

I also witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly in this game, and there was definitely some of each. ;)Maybe it's because I've been following sports for more than a half century, but I've learned over the decades not to worry about that which doesn't count. I've seen many pre-season phenoms fold and many pre-season busts blossom. If the coaches and players get what they need out of practices, scrimmages and games that don't show up in the standings, that's more important than "winning" those practices, scrimmages and games that don't show up in the standings that count towards league championships and post-season tournament bids.What really matters most in the long run is the organization. If the coach is good, he'll get the most out of the team regardless of the individual abilities of the players. If you believe in the quality of the coach and the talent of the individuals, then it's a waste of time to lament the results of a single game that doesn't count in the standings.
What he said. Great post.Zips are 0-0 .. nothing more .. nothing less.

I remember in one of Huggins' 20-win seasons...I believe it was 1985-6 when we went to the NCAA's...we played Hiram. We won something like 53-52. I think there were two kids on Hiram's roster from Windham named Fabry that went off for a bunch of 3's. A game like this is the Super Bowl for an NAIA or D-3 school. You always get their best shot. And if they're a solid program, they can make a good run at you. Certainly a good wake-up call for the Zips.

I remember in one of Huggins' 20-win seasons...I believe it was 1985-6 when we went to the NCAA's...we played Hiram. We won something like 53-52. I think there were two kids on Hiram's roster from Windham named Fabry that went off for a bunch of 3's. A game like this is the Super Bowl for an NAIA or D-3 school. You always get their best shot. And if they're a solid program, they can make a good run at you. Certainly a good wake-up call for the Zips.
If I remember correctly almost every win under Huggins was tough, especially the years we had few scholarships and Huggy raided the football team. Bob Huggins was a fantastic coach who got the most out of his players. With no disrespect to KD, but for my money Huggins was the best coach the Zips ever had in basketball, and the University "done him wrong".

If I remember correctly almost every win under Huggins was tough, especially the years we had few scholarships and Huggy raided the football team. Bob Huggins was a fantastic coach who got the most out of his players. With no disrespect to KD, but for my money Huggins was the best coach the Zips ever had in basketball, and the University "done him wrong".
I've heard several version of what happened with Coach Huggins (football team took precedence, he wasn't treated with enough respect ..). I don't know what really happened, but if you look at what reputation followed him around his travels (not graduating palyers, his ugly dismissal at Cinci, his K-State abandonment after they took a chance on him), I'm more than happy to have Coach Dambrot and what he has brought to the program. Not only are we winning but it seems we're doing it the right way. Smart guys like Zeke can also see that and that might help to draw more smart recruits like that to Akron.

Well...let me first comment on the coaches for a second. I love Keith, but Bob Huggins did some incredible things. In 1986 he was only two years removed from taking over a poor program that had NCAA sanctions, kicked his best player off of the team early in the season, and wins a conference title with a few football players, a JC transfer, and a freshman point guard. He then followed that up with several more 20 win seasons. I was a student at that time, and still know some of the poeple who were in our administration at that time. The bottom line with the football/basketball controversy is that Huggy found himself here at a time where the school wanted to go 1-A in football as well. Years later, it appears to have been a great move for us. But at the time, most people were of the opinion that Huggy and Gerry just didn't like sharing the spotlight with each other. And beyond that, does anyone really think Huggy would have stayed here with the huge contract offer he got from Cincy in 1989? It was something like 10 times what he was making here. Back to the scrimmage.....I think it's fair to point out what could very well be deficiencies on our team this season, even if it was a preseason game. I personally find it unacceptable to have gotten badly outrebounded and give up 81 points to an NAIA school, with our projected starters playing a great deal of minutes...probably about the same as they will play during the season. I can see us possibly playing a close game against such a team if we just weren't hitting shots, and had a game that ended up in the 50s. But there were some troubling things going on in this one. At the very least, it appears we have a lot of work ahead of us if we are going to be competitive this year.