Miami In Game / Postgame

UAZipster0305

Just like last year's game at the JAR, when someone decided to get hot for awhile from the field...they won the game. I'm just happy in both cases that it was us.I hate to say that I had to predict in another thread that the total points would be under 100, but it was. That's why I've never really enjoyed these Miami games, but I love the wins ;) And now BG shows their Jeckyl and Hyde personality once again. How do you lose to EMU at home and beat Buffalo on the road? I just hope we get the BAD BG at the JAR.

NOW THAT'S HOW YOU BEAT MIAMI.Boring first half but great second half, good to see the sweaters get put in their place. How about that seat of the pants shot though?WOW
I thought it was a classic example of C Coles in action. Try and keep the game close, then win the last 2 minutes for a victory. Humpty was outstanding tonite in the end game. He scored 7 points in the final minutes that effectively put the game out of reach for the Redhawks. C McKnight had a great second half with 16 points. At one point in the first half, we were 1 for 17 from the field. Of course Miami was only 2 for 17 and the score was 5-3. When Politz threw in that prayer(He Traveled) while rolling around on the floor, I had a few moments of worry. Chris and Humpty took over and the Zips pulled away. Big win! :)

This is where it all gets interesting as we watch the results of other MAC East games........So....was it best that BG beats Buffalo and gives us still a chance at the #1 seed? Or, was it best that BG loses so that we get closer to securing the #3 or #4 seed? With Buffalo losing ground in the last week, and Can't and BG gaining ground, we could end up anywhere from #1 to 5,6, or 7 with the way everything is stacking up. This is tough for me....because......a MAC regular season title assures us of an NIT bid.....but being in the best position to win the MAC tournament gives us our best chance to get into the NCAA.Personally, I say the heck with the NIT bid....I'd rather see the the teams we are competing against for the #3 and #4 spots lose.

Skip-Zip,I understand where you are coming from concerning being in the best possible position to win the MAC tournament, but at this point I think it is near impossible to determine the best set up for the Zips. As I told a freind of mine several days ago, if BG goes into Buffalo and wins, throw everything out the window as far as who will win the East and seeding posibilities. AS WE ALL KNOW THIS IS THE MAC, CRAZY THINGS HAPPEN.As far as the BG- Buffalo game last night, on the Bulls fan site, they are stating that BG threw a 2-3 zone at them, and the Bulls had trouble responding all night.

I agree Big.Does it really matter? I say there is enough parity in the division that we have the same chance of getting to the finals no matter if we are a 1, 3, or 4. The first round bye is the most important thing at this point, but why would you not want to win the regular season division title just to get a supposed "easier" route to the finals?

You never know what the easy route is really going to be. Give me the top spot any time (and a guaranteed post-season bid) which really doesn't influence the chance of making it to the NCAA's. Grab as high as seed as possbile. Everybody in the East (except maybe Ohio) absolutely has their fate in their own hands. I think 11-5 will win the East. Should be a heck of a tournament. And seeing what the West did on that final Sunday, I'm not wishing to see anyone in particular - let the chips (even if it's the Chipps :)) fall where they may.

I said just before tipoff that it was about time for Humpty to have a special game. For most of the game he did a nice job of protecting the ball, but nothing really special. C. McKnight, however, was just everywhere -- battling for rebounds, stifling on defense, hitting a fair number of key shots and drawing lots of fouls. He is becoming the heart of the team, and just needs to spend a little more time practicing those free throws, as he is going to be drawing a lot of fouls with his work in the paint.In the last few minutes, when Zips fans are often filled with dread that the team will be tentative and make poor choices at the offensive end, Humpty just took over and had his special game. Interestingly, McNees in recent games had been playing the point a lot in crunch time, and had been doing a better job of protecting the ball. But he apparently had the flu, and with his minutes limited, Humpty got his chance to show that he can be the man when the game is on the line. This was an important statement in an important game by a player whose performance over the remainder of the season will play a major role in how far the Zips can go.The refs, who called a fair and balanced first half, did a reversal in the second half and kept the game close. They kept whistling the Zips for everything at the defensive end, which would have ordinarily caused me to cringe. But I kept saying over and over that as long as the Zips executed at the offensive end, they'd be fine. They executed beautifully, and left me feeling more optimistic about them than I have all season.While McClanahan had an off shooting night, I thought his defense and teamwork were good. I am just really comfortable with his overall play, even though he is still due for some rookie mistakes based on his late season redshirt burning. And I'm becoming more and more comfortable with Cvetinovic. We all knew his energy would be good for the team, and game by game he continues to improve his ratio of good moves to bad ones. He gives the Zips a front court dimension they didn't have at the start of the season.I've defended Bardo's performance in the past because I think he tries hard and may be playing close to the limits of his abilities. But one thing I can't defend is taking and missing 3-foot dink shots when you could have jammed. The coaching staff owes it to the team to make Bardo practice slams every day, and instruct him to never, ever throw the ball at the basket from 3 feet away. He just doesn't have a shooter's touch. But when you're 6-10 and 3 feet from the basket, you don't need a shooter's touch. Just jam the snot out of it, bring the crowd to its feet and energize the whole team. That's not grandstanding. That's taking the higher percentage shot.Individual performances aside, it was a great team win against a tough opponent. Keep 'em coming!

MD...I only dispute your math. If you really think that someone other than Buffalo will win the East at 11-5, then you are projecting that Buffalo will lose 3 of their last 4 games. And I am not quite willing to project that kind of collapse.Dave, although I've grown to accept that McClanahan had to be added to the lineup, considering the situation with Ronnie, it would be hard for me to say that he has "off" shooting nights since his "on" shooting nights have been so few and far between. At this point, we can only really point to a couple of games where he was really hitting shots. At 15 of 52 from the field, I'd choose to classify that as an "off" season that occasionally produced an "on" game. Even considering his youth, I'm a bit dissappointed considering that I heard so much about what a great shooter this guy was. And I have some issues with his alignment to the basket, and his shooting form...but that is obviously for another thread.

MD...I only dispute your math. If you really think that someone other than Buffalo will win the East at 11-5, then you are projecting that Buffalo will lose 3 of their last 4 games. And I am not quite willing to project that kind of collapse.Dave, although I've grown to accept that McClanahan had to be added to the lineup, considering the situation with Ronnie, it would be hard for me to say that he has "off" shooting nights since his "on" shooting nights have been so few and far between. At this point, we can only really point to a couple of games where he was really hitting shots. At 15 of 52 from the field, I'd choose to classify that as an "off" season that occasionally produced an "on" game. Even considering his youth, I'm a bit dissappointed considering that I heard so much about what a great shooter this guy was. And I have some issues with his alignment to the basket, and his shooting form...but that is obviously for another thread.
I had the same issues with Pollitz with just under 5 minutes left in the game :lol: