Payne visiting Akron???

I'm gonna go with the recruiting pitch...Dayton,It's in Colorado.That's a long walk grandma!!!
But there is an Akron, CO (and no actual Dayton), plus Colorado is kind of nice, although I'll agree the seat description is confusing. :) Lets go with Dayton, Idaho, no Akron there. That ought to scare her off. Or if she's in attendance at the JAR by chance, how abut a nice "Welcome to North Dayton" sign?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/vie...813&Sport=2We seemed to have disappeared from Payne's list on Rivals just as he is supposedly set to visit here. Anyone have some insight to this?
Hmm..I think he has his list narrowed down much beyond those. I thought Akron was on a list of five or so, but I'd say our chances remain the same. We'll know in a few weeks. It'll be a big weeked here either way.

I'm not sure much has changed.

Adreian Payne and Jared Sullinger- These two are a formidable interior duo for All Ohio Red. Sullinger continues to be a reliable double-double guy who both physically overpowers opponents and enhances the play of his teammates with his passing. Payne, whose length and athleticism gives him a very high ceiling, continues to improve. He looks more comfortable with the basketball and is knocking down face up jumpers. Defensively, he can both dominate the paint and move his feet out on the perimeter.
Adreian Payne is wide open in his recruitment and not too concerned about it at this point. He did say that West Virginia, Dayton and Xavier are recruiting him the hardest, and he plans to visit Akron in the near future.
via rivals April 12, 2009

I'd sure like to know just how much effect LeBron's association with the City of Akron and UA has on the minds of the country's top high school basketball players who aspire to be the next LeBron.
Dave, I can tell you from Zeke's standpoint that the LBJ factor did not have much of an impact. His decision was based more on the quality of the education, the university (campus) and the coaching staff of Akron. The LBJ factor is an added bonus.
As far as Zeke is concerned LeBron's connection to Akron had no affect on his decision to come to Akron. As a matter of fact, LeBron is not Zeke's "favorite" player....Ssshhhh..don't tell LBJ! What influenced Zeke was the relationship he established with Coach Boals and Coach Dambrot, the campus environment and the academics.

I'd sure like to know just how much effect LeBron's association with the City of Akron and UA has on the minds of the country's top high school basketball players who aspire to be the next LeBron.
Dave, I can tell you from Zeke's standpoint that the LBJ factor did not have much of an impact. His decision was based more on the quality of the education, the university (campus) and the coaching staff of Akron. The LBJ factor is an added bonus.
As far as Zeke is concerned LeBron's connection to Akron had no affect on his decision to come to Akron. As a matter of fact, LeBron is not Zeke's "favorite" player....Ssshhhh..don't tell LBJ! What influenced Zeke was the relationship he established with Coach Boals and Coach Dambrot, the campus environment and the academics.
I would take a kid who wanted to come here for those reasons over somebody who was starstruck by the local celebrity every time.

Well considering Boals was the driving force for getting Payne to schedule an Akron visit...I'd realistically say it makes our chances less than slim. Payne has interest in playing at the next level (college and NBA). OSU gives him the best opportunity of that. If I remember right, he didn't like the campus and OSU had very limited scholarships available. I'm still thinking Dayton is a lock, but perhaps OSU just pushed us off the board?Time will tell

If someone can confirm that Payne is still coming in for his visit (reportedly this weekend?) it would certainly take some of the edge off of losing Coach Boals. I don't necessarily need him to commit or something, but showing that we are still on the radar would be nice.
I know he'll be here next week...can't say for sure this weekend tho. Anyone know? Sadly I fear the worst.

If someone can confirm that Payne is still coming in for his visit (reportedly this weekend?) it would certainly take some of the edge off of losing Coach Boals. I don't necessarily need him to commit or something, but showing that we are still on the radar would be nice.
I know he'll be here next week...can't say for sure this weekend tho. Anyone know? Sadly I fear the worst.
He was scheduled for the 18th and he was coming to meet the staff and players. I know Boals made a lot of it possible, but I'm also sure that the NCAA appearance and the MAC Championship also made a bit of an impression. I would suspect he will be here.

There seems like a gigantic conflict of interest brewing. Boals will still be here when Payne visits this weekend (if he does visit. Maybe this is why we disappeared off his rivals list?). I wouldn't resent Boals nearly as much for leaving if he does his job and trys to recruit Payne to come to Akron while Jeff's still an employee here.

There seems like a gigantic conflict of interest brewing. Boals will still be here when Payne visits this weekend (if he does visit. Maybe this is why we disappeared off his rivals list?). I wouldn't resent Boals nearly as much for leaving if he does his job and trys to recruit Payne to come to Akron while Jeff's still an employee here.
My guess would be that Jeff will have to recuse himself and Keith will handle the visit. Anybody know any good asst coaches out there that happen to be named Jeff Smart (or perhaps the less likely Shaka Boals? :))

We all knew coach Boals was not going to be here forever. His departure is just like death, we all know it is coming but we don't want to think about it and when it happens, it hurts... a lot. I am not surprised coach Boals has left, i am actually surprised he is not head coach at Ohio yet. What are the bobcats thinking?Now it is time for us to move on, and the one who trained Shaka and Jeff can train Rick and Cedrick.I'm with you Zeke's mom, i'm with you.Also, do you think coach Joyce maybe interested in starting a college career?

From a recruiting perspective having Dru II prowling the sidelines would be SWEET. He's very well connected both in the local area and on the national scene (running LeBron's AAU tournament). Kind of NEOhio basketballs version of Ted Ginn Sr. Dru III wouldn't be bad either, I have always felt like he was coaching material whenver he wants to be.

It is my understanding that Payne is not coming this weekend because he is going to be playing in the PITT Jamfest here in Pgh. I do believe that he is still interested in Akron...but like I told someone else, you have to allow for the "human" side of him to feel a little disappointed and hurt by Boals leaving. Does it mean that he won't consider Akron...personally, I don't think so. Remember, his coaches LOVE Akron and they know that he will be able to "connect" with LBJ here at Akron. Now, does THAT make a difference I THINK SO!! Just my opinion ZipNation...but I believe everything is going to work out for the good of Zip basketball. BESIDES....Zeke will be on the campus during the LBJ AAU Tourney....where..as most of you know, Payne will be playing. Don't be surprised if you see a 7 Footer come walking into an All-Ohio Red game to give support to Mr. Payne...I'm just sayin ya!!! Ya hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is my understanding that Payne is not coming this weekend because he is going to be playing in the PITT Jamfest here in Pgh. I do believe that he is still interested in Akron...but like I told someone else, you have to allow for the "human" side of him to feel a little disappointed and hurt by Boals leaving. Does it mean that he won't consider Akron...personally, I don't think so. Remember, his coaches LOVE Akron and they know that he will be able to "connect" with LBJ here at Akron. Now, does THAT make a difference I THINK SO!! Just my opinion ZipNation...but I believe everything is going to work out for the good of Zip basketball. BESIDES....Zeke will be on the campus during the LBJ AAU Tourney....where..as most of you know, Payne will be playing. Don't be surprised if you see a 7 Footer come walking into an All-Ohio Red game to give support to Mr. Payne...I'm just sayin ya!!! Ya hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice to hear you both have your heads on straight! I'm so excited to have Zeke in a Zips uniform. Though if Payne did pull his visit I am quite disappointed, I know we are growing to a greater level. Now is a chance to bring in new talent (coaching and playing).Lets Go Zips!

Hmmm ... wasn't All-Ohio Red committed to the JamFest a long time ago? I'm wondering if they're swinging over between games or something. Can't imagine he'd be skipping as important an AAU as that for an unofficial visit.Fingers crossed he's still visiting soon.Go Zeke! Go Trevor! Go Zips!

can somebody tell me how many scholarships do we have open next year.what about roberts? i would hope kdwould give him one.it's the right thing to do regardless.the guy has earned it on the court,and off.
2. Check out this thread, I would hate to start this again...http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=13495