Payne visiting Akron???

April, 2009: Payne has continued to improve and has been extremely productive on both ends of the floor. He is long enough to scratch his knees without bending over. He body reminds me of former UNC great Sam Perkins. He just glides down the floor in transition and can finish above the rim over or around defenders. Payne is very athletic and is more skilled than he gets credit for. He makes quick spin moves in the low post and simply elevates over defenders. He can step out on the perimeter and knock down the mid range jumper off the coach and with time and space even hit the three ball. On defense Payne changes shots he doesn't block. He can start the fast break with his excellent timing on or away from the ball. Also Payne could be a multiple position defender because of his length and great lateral foot speed. Payne must add strength but he is one of the most athletic and skilled big men in the 2010 class.
ESPN evaluation

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Rivals, Kansas coach Bill Self visited Payne yesterday in Dayton. I'm not sure that matters but I haven't heard much mention of Akron for awhile....sleeping giant?If we did somehow manage to get Payne it'd be huge (ESPN might cover the story before the ABJ). He's getting looks from schools like Dayton, OSU, Kentucky, Kansas, and just about everyone.Louisville just lost the #3 Center in the 2010 class. He backed out of his verbal to go play professionally in Europe. Payne could prolly make their list as well.

Please remember the desires of A. Payne 1) Wants to play at a smaller school (versus OSU, Kentucky, Louisville, etc.) 2) Wants to stay in Ohio 3) Wants to play his freshman year 4) Does not want to go to a school that includes any of his Ohio Red teammates. He does not want to play in there shadows. He is still scheduled for his unofficial during the LBJ. Just like Zeke, the reports can't be used as a barometer to which way a player is leaning in his decision.

Great to hear that we are still on the board for Payne. Sounds like we aren't too far down the board either. I was worried that with Coach Boals departure we would fall off the radar for him, but it sounds like Adreian's relationship is with KD. We're still in the hunt on this one. Anything can happen.Anyone have any information on Weatherspoon? Are we in contention for him at all?

Did anybody see him play at the JAR today? He should be on campus.
I watched Payne play on Sunday. This kid is long, athletic, and active on the boards. I see why the is rated #11 in the country. He made a TRUE believer out of me. This kid has TONS of potential and would be an excellent additions to the Zips. He plays above the rim and can step out and shoot the three ball.

Did anybody see him play at the JAR today? He should be on campus.
I watched Payne play on Sunday. This kid is long, athletic, and active on the boards. I see why the is rated #11 in the country. He made a TRUE believer out of me. This kid has TONS of potential and would be an excellent additions to the Zips. He plays above the rim and can step out and shoot the three ball.
FYI - A. Payne was however held to 0 points and 1 rebound in the Championship game.

I'm starting to like the chances of Payne picking the Zips more and more. Just a feeling after reading other message boards and how many of those schoolsare just throwing out token offers, or trying to impress him with visits via private jets which shows me that they haven't been paying attention to how different his attitude is when it comes to being recruited.

I'm starting to like the chances of Payne picking the Zips more and more. Just a feeling after reading other message boards and how many of those schoolsare just throwing out token offers, or trying to impress him with visits via private jets which shows me that they haven't been paying attention to how different his attitude is when it comes to being recruited.
or that could be wishful delusions.I'm not questioning your intuition. I just know that people sometimes see things how they want to see them.From everything I have read Payne coming to Akron would be a great situation for the team and for him, but I just don't know about all this optimism.

In reality, those are the reasons people feel he will end up at Dayton. Let's not get carried away, the chances of Payne coming to Akron are slim to none.

man i'd love it if he just verballed with us and ended up going elsewhere so everyone else in the mac shit their pants for a few months. :lol:
No offense to zippyrifle32, but I nominate this for worst post ever.
No offense to you, but you must not read these boards enough.