Band-related New Info Traditions

Blue & Gold

Okay everybody.... calm down. I never knew that non-band people cared about the band this much!Honestly though, I am not making excuses, and though more $$ would help us band members feel more "big time," we can do much better with what we have. We are trying, or at least a large number of us are trying. Believe me, as a band member I would love to do a little trimming of the fat in our band, I would rather field 50 hard-corps Bad A$$es than 500 slackers. But the audience (as I understand it) demands a larger band.As far as playing what the audience likes....we try.Now this may be stretching it for some of you, but can we get some suggestions of music or show themes?Here are the ground rules: 1. Don't just say "PUMP UP MUSIC" or something... I want song titles.2. If you want us to play these songs for halftime, the tempo must be between 100 and 180 beats per minute (we can double or half-time march if necessary) Here is a metronome to help you find the BPM3. The melody cannot be a riffing electric guitar, as there are no marching band instruments capable of reproducing those sounds.4. The owner of the rights to the song must give us permission to arrange/perform the work.5. If you can't whistle the melody we can't play it (many rap songs)6. Every person in the audience must love the song. ;-)Other than that... go to town, if it is plausible, you may just hear your song next season...P.S. If all you want is a loop of the Jock Jams CD, or are so selfish as to only want to hear your own favorite "music", bring some headphones and an Ipod and stay out of this conversation, as we are trying to be constructive here, and you are not helping. We all know what our problems are, but how can we fix them? Any suggestions?... or just more complaints.P.P.S. If you really need the band to PUMP you up, maybe you should find a good anti-depressant or something.P.P.P.S. Sorry if I am coming off as a confrontational, but some of the pointed remarks on this thread seem like an attack on not only the lazy band members... but those (like me, and many others) who give their all to this band, those who: march on broken toes and torn ligaments, have vomited and and gone right back to playing, have broken fingers from spinning the mace, or have emptied their horns of blood after a performance. And, suggesting that we scrap the whole band program, and start anew is not only attacking those individuals, but the generations of Akron Marching Band members and directors who have contributed to the building of this program, and I will NOT stand for that, and I hope that some of the members of this board agree with me on this point.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you kidding me? I don't think you guys understand what you are here for. You are not here for protecting art... Honestly i'm not even in the loop with the whole band thing...
Obviously...
fact of the matter is that while I was in band alone we hit just about every genre we could. the only reason he isn't happy is because he doesn't want to be happy. he wants to sit here and complain until he has exactly what he wants and could care less about anything or anyone else. I doubt he has watched a single halftime show in his life and is basing his entire argument off one or two small instances that he has witnessed the band. I've agreed with some of your points (not just standing around in public view, finding better ways to file in and out of the stands ect) but you are getting to be ridiculous. this band will obviously never please you and no matter what they do you will always find something to cry about so how about you just get over it and continue to prefer monkeys flinging crap at each other over a corp style band that hits a large range of music.and for the record if you only have 4 hrs to get a show ready is not enough no matter how hard you work (not that I would expect you to know anything about that)
For your information, i have seen every home halftime show for 18 years. And yes i will not be satisfied until our band stops acting like a bunch of sloppy no care high school band members and steps it up to the level they should be it. STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: I have agreed with a number of the points that you have made but to say this bad is a bunch of sloppy high schoolers again is just going to far if you honestly think this then you must have been watching something else for the past 18 years. yes theres things they need to improve and yes there are things they should do different but they are no where near as bad as you like to pretend.the fact of the matter is the band needs more time to practice. I was in the band when we first starting asking for this and our director said "well we'll do more with the time we have" and we did. does that sound like a a band of excuses to you? it sounds to me like we had a problem and were going to deal with it the best we could. do me a favor. say one thing they do well, even if you have to make it up. just give me something to show that you are capable of finding some middle ground and aren't just trying to push me buttons

I remember being really proud of the band at the Motor City Bowl a few years ago! I thought you guys looked really sharp! And sounded great! I'm excited to see what kind of attitude is naturally infused into both the band and the crowd simply by marching in a first-class venue like the Info. I'm guessing that many Zips fans and many band members will have different mindsets just by being associated with the Info.I think what Zipsrifle mentioned a few pages back should be reiterated. He stated that, concerning the halftime show, have at it, do what ever you want and feel that you can successfully pull off!The pregame is what was initially most important to this conversation. It was mentioned by a handful of us how much we LOVE a serious, disciplined band who marches with precision, plays the fight song and breaks off some adrenaline-inducing drum cadences.As much as I hate to say it, OSU's band does a world-class job of getting people jacked up before the game.

Music is so interesting. Human beings are most definitely hard-wired to respond to music. It so naturally evokes so many emotions. The marching band should be like the bands/drum lines that used to lead battalions of soldiers into war. A drum line can make men willing to fight to the death for a cause they may not even believe in! The last link is an amazing link. It clearly shows how people respond to the drum cadence. Honestly, I'm 5-8, 175 and after hearing the OSU drum cadence I'm ready to go tackle Almondo Sewell! Lol. But for the halftime shows, do whatever you want! Shoot for more difficult numbers! But IMHO the pregame fare should feature the fight song, and drum cadences! Lead us into war!P.s. In the linky I entitled "Watch This! Crazy!" it should be noted that, though you can't hear the drum cadence on the video, the OSU band gets it going for a while BEFORE they enter the arena. Everyone in the arena can clearly hear the cadence and gets all jacked & THEN the band enters. It's almost scary what music can do to otherwise rational human beings!

I would recommend a salute to the history of the Akron Marching Band."The University of Akron Marching Band originated between 1900-1910 as an ROTC Band that performed for parades and May Day."Amazing, that's close to a century of tradition!!We should do some research, find out what the original music was all about, and go with that early era stuff. Or, how about some original compositions saluting the Century of Tradition for the Band?

Okay everybody.... calm down. I never knew that non-band people cared about the band this much!Honestly though, I am not making excuses, and though more $$ would help us band members feel more "big time," we can do much better with what we have. We are trying, or at least a large number of us are trying. Believe me, as a band member I would love to do a little trimming of the fat in our band, I would rather field 50 hard-corps Bad A$$es than 500 slackers. But the audience (as I understand it) demands a larger band.As far as playing what the audience likes....we try.Now this may be stretching it for some of you, but can we get some suggestions of music or show themes?Here are the ground rules: 1. Don't just say "PUMP UP MUSIC" or something... I want song titles.2. If you want us to play these songs for halftime, the tempo must be between 100 and 180 beats per minute (we can double or half-time march if necessary) Here is a metronome to help you find the BPM3. The melody cannot be a riffing electric guitar, as there are no marching band instruments capable of reproducing those sounds.4. The owner of the rights to the song must give us permission to arrange/perform the work.5. If you can't whistle the melody we can't play it (many rap songs)6. Every person in the audience must love the song. ;-)Other than that... go to town, if it is plausible, you may just hear your song next season...P.S. If all you want is a loop of the Jock Jams CD, or are so selfish as to only want to hear your own favorite "music", bring some headphones and an Ipod and stay out of this conversation, as we are trying to be constructive here, and you are not helping. We all know what our problems are, but how can we fix them? Any suggestions?... or just more complaints.P.P.S. If you really need the band to PUMP you up, maybe you should find a good anti-depressant or something.P.P.P.S. Sorry if I am coming off as a confrontational, but some of the pointed remarks on this thread seem like an attack on not only the lazy band members... but those (like me, and many others) who give their all to this band, those who: march on broken toes and torn ligaments, have vomited and and gone right back to playing, have broken fingers from spinning the mace, or have emptied their horns of blood after a performance. And, suggesting that we scrap the whole band program, and start anew is not only attacking those individuals, but the generations of Akron Marching Band members and directors who have contributed to the building of this program, and I will NOT stand for that, and I hope that some of the members of this board agree with me on this point.

Okay everybody.... calm down. I never knew that non-band people cared about the band this much!Honestly though, I am not making excuses, and though more $ would help us band members feel more "big time," we can do much better with what we have. We are trying, or at least a large number of us are trying. Believe me, as a band member I would love to do a little trimming of the fat in our band, I would rather field 50 hard-corps Bad A$es than 500 slackers. But the audience (as I understand it) demands a larger band.As far as playing what the audience likes....we try.Now this may be stretching it for some of you, but can we get some suggestions of music or show themes?Here are the ground rules: 1. Don't just say "PUMP UP MUSIC" or something... I want song titles.2. If you want us to play these songs for halftime, the tempo must be between 100 and 180 beats per minute (we can double or half-time march if necessary) Here is a metronome to help you find the BPM3. The melody cannot be a riffing electric guitar, as there are no marching band instruments capable of reproducing those sounds.4. The owner of the rights to the song must give us permission to arrange/perform the work.5. If you can't whistle the melody we can't play it (many rap songs)6. Every person in the audience must love the song. ;-)Other than that... go to town, if it is plausible, you may just hear your song next season...P.S. If all you want is a loop of the Jock Jams CD, or are so selfish as to only want to hear your own favorite "music", bring some headphones and an Ipod and stay out of this conversation, as we are trying to be constructive here, and you are not helping. We all know what our problems are, but how can we fix them? Any suggestions?... or just more complaints.P.P.S. If you really need the band to PUMP you up, maybe you should find a good anti-depressant or something.P.P.P.S. Sorry if I am coming off as a confrontational, but some of the pointed remarks on this thread seem like an attack on not only the lazy band members... but those (like me, and many others) who give their all to this band, those who: march on broken toes and torn ligaments, have vomited and and gone right back to playing, have broken fingers from spinning the mace, or have emptied their horns of blood after a performance. And, suggesting that we scrap the whole band program, and start anew is not only attacking those individuals, but the generations of Akron Marching Band members and directors who have contributed to the building of this program, and I will NOT stand for that, and I hope that some of the members of this board agree with me on this point.
Well let me first apologize to the band members that are actually putting in the effort. I guess if even 95% of you were doing that then the other 5% could ruin it for the rest so i understand that. I was hoping some of the more dedicated band members (the ones that do actually care about what they do/could probably play somewhere better but choose akron for the same reasons the rest of us do) would come out and comment on this. A response that isn't full of excuses is refreshing as well.The only thing i have to say is to "P.P.S. If you really need the band to PUMP you up, maybe you should find a good anti-depressant or something." There are plenty of people like that at the games that just dont get into it, they truly do need the band to "pump them up". The newcomers and first time fans are the ones that really benifit from the experience as well so dont forget there are plenty of those lame fans out there (ya know the ones who are sitting with 1 min left in a tie game vs Can't).

I would recommend a salute to the history of the Akron Marching Band."The University of Akron Marching Band originated between 1900-1910 as an ROTC Band that performed for parades and May Day."Amazing, that's close to a century of tradition!!We should do some research, find out what the original music was all about, and go with that early era stuff. Or, how about some original compositions saluting the Century of Tradition for the Band?
The last show in the Rubber Bowl was a tribute to the history of the band. We can do a tribute to the ROTC Band, but my guess is RootForRoo won't appreciate that too much. Back in the day they just had twenty people or so who played John Phillip Sousa marches over and over again.

Okay everybody.... calm down. I never knew that non-band people cared about the band this much!Honestly though, I am not making excuses, and though more $ would help us band members feel more "big time," we can do much better with what we have. We are trying, or at least a large number of us are trying. Believe me, as a band member I would love to do a little trimming of the fat in our band, I would rather field 50 hard-corps Bad A$es than 500 slackers. But the audience (as I understand it) demands a larger band.As far as playing what the audience likes....we try.Now this may be stretching it for some of you, but can we get some suggestions of music or show themes?Here are the ground rules: 1. Don't just say "PUMP UP MUSIC" or something... I want song titles.2. If you want us to play these songs for halftime, the tempo must be between 100 and 180 beats per minute (we can double or half-time march if necessary) Here is a metronome to help you find the BPM3. The melody cannot be a riffing electric guitar, as there are no marching band instruments capable of reproducing those sounds.4. The owner of the rights to the song must give us permission to arrange/perform the work.5. If you can't whistle the melody we can't play it (many rap songs)6. Every person in the audience must love the song. ;-)Other than that... go to town, if it is plausible, you may just hear your song next season...P.S. If all you want is a loop of the Jock Jams CD, or are so selfish as to only want to hear your own favorite "music", bring some headphones and an Ipod and stay out of this conversation, as we are trying to be constructive here, and you are not helping. We all know what our problems are, but how can we fix them? Any suggestions?... or just more complaints.P.P.S. If you really need the band to PUMP you up, maybe you should find a good anti-depressant or something.P.P.P.S. Sorry if I am coming off as a confrontational, but some of the pointed remarks on this thread seem like an attack on not only the lazy band members... but those (like me, and many others) who give their all to this band, those who: march on broken toes and torn ligaments, have vomited and and gone right back to playing, have broken fingers from spinning the mace, or have emptied their horns of blood after a performance. And, suggesting that we scrap the whole band program, and start anew is not only attacking those individuals, but the generations of Akron Marching Band members and directors who have contributed to the building of this program, and I will NOT stand for that, and I hope that some of the members of this board agree with me on this point.
Well let me first apologize to the band members that are actually putting in the effort. I guess if even 95% of you were doing that then the other 5% could ruin it for the rest so i understand that. I was hoping some of the more dedicated band members (the ones that do actually care about what they do/could probably play somewhere better but choose akron for the same reasons the rest of us do) would come out and comment on this. A response that isn't full of excuses is refreshing as well.The only thing i have to say is to "P.P.S. If you really need the band to PUMP you up, maybe you should find a good anti-depressant or something." There are plenty of people like that at the games that just dont get into it, they truly do need the band to "pump them up". The newcomers and first time fans are the ones that really benifit from the experience as well so dont forget there are plenty of those lame fans out there (ya know the ones who are sitting with 1 min left in a tie game vs Can't).
I agree people sitting with 1 min left in the can't game are lame and there are some members of the band that don't care but that falls on the rest of us that do care to find a way to motivate them (or I should say the people that are there now I'm new to this alumni band stuff)I watched those OSwho videos and I must say I love the way the file into the building and onto the floor I pray that this standing around stuff ends with the opening of the info and that our band members get absolutly jacked to play in the new digs.and the salute in 2010 for a century of tradition would be awesome. (maybe even a good time to bring back a drum encased by a tire? :ninja: )

I'm digging the thread name change.and you are right about the 95% vs the 5%.... in my opinion it is about:2% who have no business being on the field (the problem with being an open ensemble)18% music majors who are doing band because they are required to... and no other reason (not all music majors are in this category)40% who are doing marching band to have fun, and make friends, and play music.39.5% who bleed blue and gold and are the type who genuinely care and who think of nothing other than marching band..5% are the weirdos who spend 5-6-7 or more years devoting their time and effort into making this band great...(we're not there yet)But just so all of you know, those who care about the band are committed to bettering our contribution to game days. We are in no way content with our current status, and we are continuing to hone our style, "character," and band identity. My only hope is that with a new stadium, and some stability with our permanent director returning from his doctoral work, the band can provide for the audience without sacrificing any of our musical integrity, or any of the traditions that have arisen over the years.Okay lets break it down...What parts of Pre-game do you like?What parts of Pre-game you hate?Any suggestions for an entrance in the INFO? (as we probably can't do the same entrance we did at the rubber bowl)Any other comments about Pre-game in general?Also... don't suggest that we get rid of our music on the field... because you will only be preaching to the choir (The director wants music, the band members don't)Other than that....Let 'er rip!

I'm digging the thread name change.and you are right about the 95% vs the 5%.... in my opinion it is about:2% who have no business being on the field (the problem with being an open ensemble)18% music majors who are doing band because they are required to... and no other reason (not all music majors are in this category)40% who are doing marching band to have fun, and make friends, and play music.39.5% who bleed blue and gold and are the type who genuinely care and who think of nothing other than marching band..5% are the weirdos who spend 5-6-7 or more years devoting their time and effort into making this band great...(we're not there yet)But just so all of you know, those who care about the band are committed to bettering our contribution to game days. We are in no way content with our current status, and we are continuing to hone our style, "character," and band identity. My only hope is that with a new stadium, and some stability with our permanent director returning from his doctoral work, the band can provide for the audience without sacrificing any of our musical integrity, or any of the traditions that have arisen over the years.Okay lets break it down...What parts of Pre-game do you like?What parts of Pre-game you hate?Any suggestions for an entrance in the INFO? (as we probably can't do the same entrance we did at the rubber bowl)Any other comments about Pre-game in general?Also... don't suggest that we get rid of our music on the field... because you will only be preaching to the choir (The director wants music, the band members don't)Other than that....Let 'er rip!
FINALLY...responsibility! Thank you and i wish you luck in your work to make this thing better. Honestly, i think this entrance is awesome:Just dont do this crap:

I think it would be hard to plan an entrance right now. we don't even know exactly what everything is going to look like yet but onve the stadium is up and running we can really start planning. I was digging the OSU entrance to there skull session I think what would work for us is the percusion enters first doing their own thing. people are all like "awesome drum line! here raise my child" then the finish their cadence and goes into a different one at wich point in time the rest of the band comes flying in from the 4 different entrences on floor level meet up in formation on the Zips logo pull off a snappy left/right face towards the audiance (who are about to cream in their pants at this point in time) snap the horns up and slap everyone in the face with the fight song intro that is used during pre game and then after a quick "ladies and gentlemen your university of Akron marching band!" slams into the fight song and rips everyones face off with a wall of sound. :rock::rock::rock::rock:

I think it would be hard to plan an entrance right now. we don't even know exactly what everything is going to look like yet but onve the stadium is up and running we can really start planning. I was digging the OSU entrance to there skull session I think what would work for us is the percusion enters first doing their own thing. people are all like "awesome drum line! here raise my child" then the finish their cadence and goes into a different one at wich point in time the rest of the band comes flying in from the 4 different entrences on floor level meet up in formation on the Zips logo pull off a snappy left/right face towards the audiance (who are about to cream in their pants at this point in time) snap the horns up and slap everyone in the face with the fight song intro that is used during pre game and then after a quick "ladies and gentlemen your university of Akron marching band!" slams into the fight song and rips everyones face off with a wall of sound. :rock::rock::rock::rock:
thats what pitt does...the drum line comes out and gets everyone pumped, then the trumpets come out and play a quick little bit, then the whole band comes out of 2 entrances through the smoke, its pretty cool.

thats what pitt does...the drum line comes out and gets everyone pumped, then the trumpets come out and play a quick little bit, then the whole band comes out of 2 entrances through the smoke, its pretty cool.
oh and fire works!!!! smoke and freggin fire works!!!!and a giant zippy head that blows fire!! after the band runs on the flush mascot will run on and our drum major will throw a trident through his heart!! ok everything up to the giant zippy head is probably doable but we can work our way up to the rest :wave:

this is probably the most dificult marching manuver ever! and is exactly what I mean by a staple. people go crazy over this thing and if we could just find our thing that no one else does that would go leaps and bounds with taking the band to the next level

people just need to stop referring to OSU. We are not OSU, nor do I ever want to be anything like them. We are the Zips, not the suckeyes. If you want things to be like that school down south, just go there instead!!! We need to just do our own thing...

We are hoping to have some type of skull session!! At least I know myself and other band members I talk to want to have one! And our parade cadence is pretty good. We've never got to parade through campus on Game Day which should be the plan! Which should eliminate the problem of seeing band member "Out of Character". Some of us have some great idea we would like to do and music we're currently arranging! We need to run in by our director who is currently getting his Phd @ MSU thought right now. And as for the "slackers" you've seen in the marching band. I know when our director returns he won't stand for that! Hopefully we can Pump you guys and the team up for an Undefeated Home Season and A MAC CHAMPIONSHIP

Isn't that an awful lot like what we've been doing at the Rubber Bowl? Most of you were probably out tailgating during pregame, not that there is anything wrong with that. The percussion comes out doing their thing and then the band would do a run on onto the field. Then we do an Akron themed fanfare and march downfield to the fight song. We would probably run in from the parking lot if we were allowed, but they made us line up on the sidelines because it blocked people from getting in and around the front entrance. I know there is going to be the big tunnel into the Info, but are there going to be any other entrances onto the field?

Wow! I really was under the impression that most people were very neutral when it came to the band.So I started typing out this list of things I didn't like about the band, but realized that I was looking at things the wrong way. I was VERY involved in the music program at my high school and participated in marching band for three of those years. To help rather than criticize, I think it would be better if I take a different approach...What makes a program successful? (and in particular a marching band program) Pride- The students, as well as the members should view the band as exemplifying what the University of Akron stands for. This will lead to increased student involvement, turnout, attention, members, etc. Effort- Give 100%! It's contagious and motivating. Funding-When proven successful, the band should be rewarded so it can grow accordingly. I agree with what most people have been saying, the band needs to find an identity. I would love to have a huge, screaming, in-your-face band but it takes time and dedication. Keep taking those steps in the right direction you guys are doing a good job!!

Isn't that an awful lot like what we've been doing at the Rubber Bowl? Most of you were probably out tailgating during pregame, not that there is anything wrong with that. The percussion comes out doing their thing and then the band would do a run on onto the field. Then we do an Akron themed fanfare and march downfield to the fight song. We would probably run in from the parking lot if we were allowed, but they made us line up on the sidelines because it blocked people from getting in and around the front entrance. I know there is going to be the big tunnel into the Info, but are there going to be any other entrances onto the field?
sorry I wasn't clear enough. what I was talking about would be an intro to our pre pre game in the JAR if you do one. the JAR has four entrences on the arena floor and if you guys did a show in the JAR I think that would be the way to go without a doubt.

sorry I wasn't clear enough. what I was talking about would be an intro to our pre pre game in the JAR if you do one. the JAR has four entrences on the arena floor and if you guys did a show in the JAR I think that would be the way to go without a doubt.
I'm all for it! I thought you were talking about pregame and that sounds exactly like what we do for pregame.

people just need to stop referring to OSU. We are not OSU, nor do I ever want to be anything like them. We are the Zips, not the suckeyes. If you want things to be like that school down south, just go there instead!!! We need to just do our own thing...
I agree...personally i believe OSU might be a little overrated considering the ridiculous amount of praise everyone keeps heaping on them. There are plenty of great college marching bands out there that are better than OSU, we just are familiar with them and they have a perennial power house football team so they seem better.

I agree...personally i believe OSU might be a little overrated considering the ridiculous amount of praise everyone keeps heaping on them. There are plenty of great college marching bands out there that are better than OSU, we just are familiar with them and they have a perennial power house football team so they seem better.
They do a good job of hyping themselves and they have an identity. That's why people are bringing them up.I want our band to have an identity. I don't care if it's a traditional marching band style or if they exclusively play Sting songs, so long as they find something they can be known for and then commit to doing it extremely well. The whole "trying to please everybody" thing will never work.Personally, when I think of what a "college football" band should sound like I think of the College Gameday music on ESPN.

They do a good job of hyping themselves and they have an identity. That's why people are bringing them up.I want our band to have an identity. I don't care if it's a traditional marching band style or if they exclusively play Sting songs, so long as they find something they can be known for and then commit to doing it extremely well. The whole "trying to please everybody" thing will never work.Personally, when I think of what a "college football" band should sound like I think of the College Gameday music on ESPN.
You might want to rethink that, have you thought about how a hundred plus people playing Sting might sound?! The horror!

You might want to rethink that, have you thought about how a hundred plus people playing Sting might sound?! The horror!
No one was talking about OSU's band until Tressell called them out after they won the national championship.

FINALLY...responsibility! Thank you and i wish you luck in your work to make this thing better. Honestly, i think this entrance is awesome:Just dont do this crap:
You want to do...the OU one? I'm just curious what you find interesting about it. I personally don't like it because it kind of bores me, all they do is move forward & backward. Then again, that's just my opinion! I'm no Michigan fan, but if you changed a few things here & there, I think their pregame would be pretty good. Again, this is just me.