Penn State game

ZachTheZip

It's game week!
Right you are, Zach!Any updates on your team? I haven't heard much out of the ordinary from Happy Valley. Joe making his usual gloom-and-doom announcements. They don't get tiresome to us old-timers; oddly enough, they are mildly reassuring . . . I've applied on a new position at work. So far, I've had two telephone interviews and five face-to-face interviews. I have one more sit-down interview this Wednesday; if I make the cut, I will meet with the department heads and clinic chair. The folks doing the interviewing remind me of you Zips fans: Very thorough, very enthusiastic, very knowledgeable. Hope I am as successful in the continued interviews as my Lions are going to be against the Zips. :rolleyes:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's game week!
Right you are, Zach!Any updates on your team? I haven't heard much out of the ordinary from Happy Valley. Joe making his usual gloom-and-doom announcements. They don't get tiresome to us old-timers; oddly enough, they are mildly reassuring . . . I've applied on a new position at work. So far, I've had two telephone interviews and five face-to-face interviews. I have one more sit-down interview this Wednesday; if I make the cut, I will meet with the department heads and clinic chair. The folks doing the interviewing remind me of you Zips fans: Very thorough, very enthusiastic, very knowledgeable. Hope I am as successful in the continued interviews as my Lions are going to be against the Zips. :rolleyes:
I hope you're a little more successful than your nittany lions ;)

It's game week!
I hope you're a little more successful than your nittany lions ;)
Thanks, Zippy! Time will tell about both, I guess. Looks like the job process will drag on into late September, at this point. In the meantime, we'll enjoy college football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matchup.jpg
So, Doc, are you trying to encourage your team/fans, or discourage them? For all the difference in attempts/completions, Jacquemain only had 156 yards and 1 TD more than Clark. On the other hand, he threw 8 more picks and had 9 less rushing TDs.Yes, Penn State's receivers are mostly new. However, have you looked at the size of those guys? Williams was the tallest WR for State last year (right at 6'). This year, Brackett is 6'6", Moye is 6'5", etc. Their height and concomitant wingspans will help offset their inexperience, esp. with a veteran QB throwing at them.Still think you guys score first, it is reasonably close (21 - 7, 24 - 10, something like that) going to the half, then Penn State's bench carries the day to a 35 - 14 or 35 - 17 Lions' victory.I look forward to your pass offense testing our secondary. I think we need that, b/c this is the year Juice Williams and Aurelius Benn begin to light up the Illinois scoreboard. Having our secondary tested early and often will help them in later games (I hope!).Only five days to go!!

Can't wait to get to Happy Valley on Friday!I envy you making the trip, Doc! Hope you enjoy the visit, even tho the outcome is likely to be unfavorable to your team.Here is Penn State's depth chart, if anyone cares to review. http://www.gopsusports.com/auto_pdf/p_hoto...StateDepthChartSupposedly Stephfon Green and Chaz Powell will share kick-off return duties -- not sure of the wisdom of that. Hate risking either one of them on KO's. Likewise, Drew Astorino (free safety) will handle punt returns. We are so weak and thin in the defensive secondary that this is risky, imho.Oh, well, they don't consult me . . .

PSU's Brandon Ware suffered a broken foot at practice on Monday and will be out 3-4 weeks.
Reviving last year's trend, where Penn State early on lost D-linemen to injury and stupidity. On the PSU depth chart, Ware is listed behind Odrick, who is a beast. So as long as Jared stays healthy, of course, Ware has time to recover. Or, maybe there is another Maybin waiting in the wings. He was the third-string DE until the injury/stupidity bug bit. We know how he turned out . . .

From Joe's PC:3. What type of challenge will Akron’s QB bring to the team? He’s a two-year starter and played very well at the end of last season. He’s a smart kid and is careful with the football. He has his wideouts back. He has an outstanding offensive line that did a great job of protecting him last year. He has a good arm and makes good decisions. Penn State will have their hands full with him.

From Joe's PC:3. What type of challenge will Akron’s QB bring to the team? He’s a two-year starter and played very well at the end of last season. He’s a smart kid and is careful with the football. He has his wideouts back. He has an outstanding offensive line that did a great job of protecting him last year. He has a good arm and makes good decisions. Penn State will have their hands full with him.
Eyesight is one of the first things to go with age.

Eyesight is one of the first things to go with age.
Zipmeister, please speak up -- I can't hear you very well.

BEAT PENN STATE BEAT PENN STATE BEAT PENN STATE BEAT PENN STATE BEAT PENN STATE BEAT PENN STATE BEAT PENN STATE :cheers: GO ZIPS!!!!!! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS WE ARE THE CHAMPIONSONLY A FEW MORE HOURS - WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE BEAT PENN STATE WE BEAT PENN STATE WE BEAT PENN STATE WE BEAT PENN STATEGoooooooooooooooooooooooo ZIPSsssssssssssssssssss.WE'RE BAD. WE'RE NATIONWIDE!!!!!!! WHO'S NEXT? BRING EM ON! :champs:

The theory behind the rule is that the grass lots are also used for intramural activities and broken glass is a hazard. Apparently it's less so on the paved lots which, of course, don't double as a sporting field.
Or, the real reason is that those who park in the paved lots are mostly big money donors to the university, whereas the majority of grass lots are general admission day-of-game parking.