Penn State game

ZachTheZip

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penn State LB Michael Mauti out with a torn ACL.Brandon Ware may be disciplined for leaking the info via Twitter, stay tuned.
Neither is a starter. Mauti was being counted on to provide depth at linebacker to spell Lee or Bowmann. Ware is about 20 pounds away from seeing the field. This is a blow but won't hurt too much. If there is one position we are deep at it is Linebacker.

Penn State LB Michael Mauti out with a torn ACL.Brandon Ware may be disciplined for leaking the info via Twitter, stay tuned.
Neither is a starter. Mauti was being counted on to provide depth at linebacker to spell Lee or Bowmann. Ware is about 20 pounds away from seeing the field. This is a blow but won't hurt too much. If there is one position we are deep at it is Linebacker.
Mauti red-shirting almost helps Penn State for future years. Dakota Royer is coming in (Class of 2010) and, at 6'3", 210 pounds, I expect he will play LB, not DE. If we land Khairi Fortt (good chance of that -- his best bud is Silas Redd, who has already verbal'd to State), we could be stocked at LB for a few more years.I want to see Nate Stupar getting a bunch of playing time at LB. He was killing people on special teams last year!

Yeah we have plenty of guys at linebacker. Lee, Bowman, Hull, Gbadyu, Stupar, Colasanti, Zordich. All those guys could come in and do a good job in my opinion. We are probably the deepest team in the nation when it comes to LB. But it really sucks Mauti had to have this setback. He was starting to become the next great PSU linebacker. Hopefully he can start right where he left off in the spring.

Yeah we have plenty of guys at linebacker. Lee, Bowman, Hull, Gbadyu, Stupar, Colasanti, Zordich. All those guys could come in and do a good job in my opinion. We are probably the deepest team in the nation when it comes to LB. But it really sucks Mauti had to have this setback. He was starting to become the next great PSU linebacker. Hopefully he can start right where he left off in the spring.
1, look at it this way: With Sean Lee coming back, Mauti will have a prime example of the work he has to do to get back to 100%. And I am willing to bet Lee will encourage him along the way. Silver lining on a dark cloud, I know.One of the Zips fans was asking me about seats in Beaver Stadium. As you know, I haven't been back in forever. I suggested he PM you, 'kay?Less than three weeks until kick-off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it's a little annoying on one level, I really have to applaud the restraint of these PSU fans as they have their discussion here on Zipsnation regarding linebacker depth. So far I haven't seen "Linebacker U" even once! :D Seriously, even you guys must get tired of that one. I mean, can ESPN cover a Penn State game without saying it? One of you (hint....George Orwell) did manage to drop the "State" bomb. To some folks (not me, trust me) you can only be refering to a certain school in Columbus when using that word in the context of college football.

While it's a little annoying on one level, I really have to applaud the restraint of these PSU fans as they have their discussion here on Zipsnation regarding linebacker depth. So far I haven't seen "Linebacker U" even once! :D Seriously, even you guys must get tired of that one. I mean, can ESPN cover a Penn State game without saying it? One of you (hint....George Orwell) did manage to drop the "State" bomb. To some folks (not me, trust me) you can only be refering to a certain school in Columbus when using that word in the context of college football.
Shouldn't they technically be Pennsylvania Commonwealth University, since they aren't a state?

JohnnyZip, I stand guilty as charged about beating on the distinction between PENN and Penn STATE. Please understand: It is more out of respect for Penn than it is for my own alma mater. Penn has been around since 1740 -- founded by Ben Franklin -- and is obviously an Ivy League school. Penn State is a "Moo U" -- land grant institution, and has only been around since 1855. I chose Penn State over Penn b/c (a) after getting married to a North Carolina girl while in the Army, I wanted to be close to my home area (near Williamsport) so my folks could get to know my bride and (B) I wanted to enjoy football season cheering for Lions, not Quakers.However, note that date: The Pennsylvania STATE University was founded in 1855; the pretenders in Columbus are Johnny-come-lately's (sorry, couldn't resist) with a founding year of 1870. I know you couched your observation in the realm of college football, but history is history.To the point of we Lions fans using "Linebacker U": Many of us take it for granted that Penn State is synonymous with Linebacker U. I know the Times-Dispatch tried to show how that other state school deserved that title -- sorry, no sale.Mad props for the Orwell reference. I work in a department at Duke University that lives by the mantra that "Some animals are more equal than others." so live an Orwellian existence.And major props to you also, ZipTrumpet, for noting that Pennsylvania is in fact a commonwealth. Can you name the three others without an Internet search? I am betting you can . . . you Akron folks are an erudite bunch! And technically technically, we should be "The Pennsylvania Commonwealth University" since my diploma says "The Pennsylvania State University." I have no desire to see Penn State referred to as tPSU -- esp. since TP plays for the Buckeyes.

JohnnyZip, I stand guilty as charged about beating on the distinction between PENN and Penn STATE. Please understand: It is more out of respect for Penn than it is for my own alma mater. Penn has been around since 1740 -- founded by Ben Franklin -- and is obviously an Ivy League school. Penn State is a "Moo U" -- land grant institution, and has only been around since 1855. I chose Penn State over Penn b/c (a) after getting married to a North Carolina girl while in the Army, I wanted to be close to my home area (near Williamsport) so my folks could get to know my bride and (B) I wanted to enjoy football season cheering for Lions, not Quakers.However, note that date: The Pennsylvania STATE University was founded in 1855; the pretenders in Columbus are Johnny-come-lately's (sorry, couldn't resist) with a founding year of 1870. I know you couched your observation in the realm of college football, but history is history.To the point of we Lions fans using "Linebacker U": Many of us take it for granted that Penn State is synonymous with Linebacker U. I know the Times-Dispatch tried to show how that other state school deserved that title -- sorry, no sale.Mad props for the Orwell reference. I work in a department at Duke University that lives by the mantra that "Some animals are more equal than others." so live an Orwellian existence.And major props to you also, ZipTrumpet, for noting that Pennsylvania is in fact a commonwealth. Can you name the three others without an Internet search? I am betting you can . . . you Akron folks are an erudite bunch! And technically technically, we should be "The Pennsylvania Commonwealth University" since my diploma says "The Pennsylvania State University." I have no desire to see Penn State referred to as tPSU -- esp. since TP plays for the Buckeyes.
Kentucky, Virginia, and Mass

Oh yeah, well....hmm, is it me or is it impossible to argue with this guy???PSU 84 you are quite possibly a candidate for forumer of the year at this rate lol.

Kentucky, Virginia, and Mass Excellent! Remind me not to compare SAT scores with you guys. This is one reason why I think you guys are competitive -- your team will play smart, which will help offset some points that are in Penn State's favor.

Oh yeah, well....hmm, is it me or is it impossible to argue with this guy???PSU 84 you are quite possibly a candidate for forumer of the year at this rate lol.
Kentucky, Virginia, and Mass Excellent! Remind me not to compare SAT scores with you guys. This is one reason why I think you guys are competitive -- your team will play smart, which will help offset some points that are in Penn State's favor.
He can stop mentioning Ohio St. and their players on ZipsNation.

He can stop mentioning XXXX St. and their players on ZipsNation.UADavid, VERY happy to cease and desist mentioning those guys. In my defense, was just responding to JohnnyZip's mention of that place in C_______.You guys were spot on with the news about Mauti -- I read here before I saw it anywhere else. Anyone have the North Carolina lottery numbers for tomorrow?

It may be a challenge to debate PSWho_84, but I've always enjoyed a challenge.First off, Big Brother, the master’s degree from G-Town isn’t buying you any leniency here. Some of us remember those privileged brats in "St. Elmo’s Fire" :lol: I thought it might be fun to compare State College and Akron. These comparisons are COMPLETELY unbiased of course."Normal" Population: Akron 207,510 (2008 wiki) State College 38,720 (2007 wiki) --> advantage AkronMost Famous Band: Akron DEVO State College JoePa and the Geriatrics, Artery or Katsu --> advantage AkronMost Famous Female "Rocker": Akron Chrissie Hynde State College Sue Paterno ;) --> advantage AkronBest Ice Cream: Akron Strickland's State College The Creamery --> TIEPerforming Arts Halls: Akron Civic Theatre/EJ Thomas State College State Theatre --> TIELocal Hamburger Joint: Akron Menches State College Baby's --> Advantage AkronLocal Brewpub: Akron Ohio Brewing Company State College Otto's Pub & Brewery --> advantage AkronSo you can see (and as Dr. Proenza loves to tell us), the "Akron advantage" is clear in this match up! Go Zips!!!

It may be a challenge to debate PSWho_84, but I've always enjoyed a challenge.First off, Big Brother, the master’s degree from G-Town isn’t buying you any leniency here. Some of us remember those privileged brats in "St. Elmo’s Fire" :lol: I thought it might be fun to compare State College and Akron. These comparisons are COMPLETELY unbiased of course."Normal" Population: Akron 207,510 (2008 wiki) State College 38,720 (2007 wiki) --> advantage AkronMost Famous Band: Akron DEVO State College JoePa and the Geriatrics, Artery or Katsu --> advantage AkronMost Famous Female "Rocker": Akron Chrissie Hynde State College Sue Paterno ;) --> advantage AkronBest Ice Cream: Akron Strickland's State College The Creamery --> TIEPerforming Arts Halls: Akron Civic Theatre/EJ Thomas State College State Theatre --> TIELocal Hamburger Joint: Akron Menches State College Baby's --> Advantage AkronLocal Brewpub: Akron Ohio Brewing Company State College Otto's Pub & Brewery --> advantage AkronSo you can see (and as Dr. Proenza loves to tell us), the "Akron advantage" is clear in this match up! Go Zips!!!
Not to mention Ruby and the Romantics.

Not to mention Ruby and the Romantics.
Im pretty fond of the corral and also the black keys are a good akron band.

They also have 6 in the CFN top 200 - http://cfn.scout.com/2/886628.html#27 LB Navarro Bowman (though we won't see him this year)#45 LB Sean Lee#58 DT Jared Odrick#66 QB Darryl Clark#139 RB Evan Royster#180 C Stefen WisniewskiSurprisingly, we did not have any players listed (though the MAC did have a reasonable representation). That's why the upset will be even sweeter. :)

Drew Astorino, Penn State...or Can't State...hard choiceI like this story, my uncle got the same call from JoPa, last scholarship that year (undersized local defensive player too), and wound up playing in the NFL.0820spsu-a.jpg
Best quote
They won the state football championship, too. He was going to go to a I-AA school, I believe.
Even JoePa thinks Can't should be 1-AA.