The University Team Shop

I would like to add one more complaint about the team shop. I was at the women's game last night and it was closed. Seems to me, anytime you have any kind of gathering of the public (however large or small) the team shop should be open. I'm sure there are reasons behind this, such as justifying paying someone to staff it vs. amount likely to be sold, but a women's basketball game most likely would come in second to men's basketball for attendance at the JAR and VS Kant no less. I actually wanted to look at the Nike basketball sweatshirts, but no dice.

I would like to add one more complaint about the team shop. I was at the women's game last night and it was closed. Seems to me, anytime you have any kind of gathering of the public (however large or small) the team shop should be open. I'm sure there are reasons behind this, such as justifying paying someone to staff it vs. amount likely to be sold, but a women's basketball game most likely would come in second to men's basketball for attendance at the JAR and VS Kant no less. I actually wanted to look at the Nike basketball sweatshirts, but no dice.
I think that you have hit on a very telling indicator as to the general perception of merchandise by the staff. It is not essential that they sell merch because the majority of their funding comes from university funding. They have not historically generated much merchandise, TV/radio, or ticket sales revenue in house. The Athletic Department Staff needs to step up and expand some underutilized revenue streams.

I would love an Akron Soccer jersey. They should also consider selling the soccer scarf to everyone now. I have one, but I personally would like to see everyone who wants one be able to buy it and wear it proudly! GO ZIPS!

I would love an Akron Soccer jersey. They should also consider selling the soccer scarf to everyone now. I have one, but I personally would like to see everyone who wants one be able to buy it and wear it proudly! GO ZIPS!
Call the soccer office, maybe they can order you an official jersey (That's how I got my Official Football Jersey). Also, from my understanding B&N Bookstore now operates the Athletics Team Shop.Or maybe we can all get together and order them at one time from the athletics equipment manager.

Call the soccer office, maybe they can order you an official jersey (That's how I got my Official Football Jersey). Also, from my understanding B&N Bookstore now operates the Athletics Team Shop.Or maybe we can all get together and order them at one time from the athletics equipment manager.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Funny it wasn't open during a home sporting event but sometimes it's open randomly during the school day. What's up with that?

The Team Shop at the JAR is run by the Athletic Department. The Bookstore is run by student services. Two totally different operations. :(
Not anymore.
then what does Bryan Huettmann do?
Was that a serious question??? :D Bryan's a talented guy, who's spent most of his time keeping track of inventory and sales at the store -- something that should have been farmed out to an accountant or business manager long ago. Better question would be: "Who's creating the vision for the future of athletic marketing for the U?"

The Team Shop at the JAR is run by the Athletic Department. The Bookstore is run by student services. Two totally different operations. :(
Not anymore.
Was that a serious question??? :D Bryan's a talented guy, who's spent most of his time keeping track of inventory and sales at the store -- something that should have been farmed out to an accountant or business manager long ago. Better question would be: "Who's creating the vision for the future of athletic marketing for the U?"
I thought he was in charge of the team shop and the type of things they order to sell.

Not anymore.
Actually the better question is "Why did they put such fools in these positions? Was it a PC hiring gone wrong or just a foolish selection?"

From the article mentioned in another posthttp://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/81911877.htmlMeanwhile, team shop sales stayed about the same over the two years.In 2008, UA's athletics department netted $8,200. Last year, Barnes and Noble ran the shop and the university got a cut, so the final net profit might not be much more than that, Hammond said.$8,200!!! That is beyone pathetic!!! Besides the lack of jerseys for just about any sport, there just is a poor variety of sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc. Pathetic. If no one has already, I will step up and Ask the AD= when in the world are they opening the Team Shop in the Info? I would hope that it will open at the beginning of next year's football season. Sigh. I am all ready to clad the whole family in Zips gear...just give me some good choices and variety!!!

$8,200!!! That is beyone pathetic!!! ...just give me some good choices and variety!!!
I agree. One leads to the other. The net is as pathetic as the choices and variety.It's not like UofA has unattractive colors or something. Blue and gold is a good color combination. I can't ever remember really good clothes to purchase. People like quality. Make the quality good and people will pay for it. Make clothes people want to be seen wearing in public....and it has to be more than one item. Everyone in Akron can't be walking around with the same shirt on. UofA can do much better with what they are selling.Just like in football. The talent is there (blue and gold colors) and someone needs to do something with the talent. For crying out loud, Clemson's colors are purple and orange...their merchandising looks great with two of the worst color combinations.

From the article mentioned in another posthttp://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/81911877.htmlMeanwhile, team shop sales stayed about the same over the two years.In 2008, UA's athletics department netted $8,200. Last year, Barnes and Noble ran the shop and the university got a cut, so the final net profit might not be much more than that, Hammond said.$8,200!!! That is beyone pathetic!!! Besides the lack of jerseys for just about any sport, there just is a poor variety of sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc. Pathetic. If no one has already, I will step up and Ask the AD= when in the world are they opening the Team Shop in the Info? I would hope that it will open at the beginning of next year's football season. Sigh. I am all ready to clad the whole family in Zips gear...just give me some good choices and variety!!!
I was in the union today in the B&N "team shop" and they had a clearance rack. On it i found a great deal on a cheaply made akron long sleeve shirt that said "go zips", it could have been mine for an amazing deal of 29 dollars. Now imagine the prices on the non "clearance" stuff.

We have a team shop??
I just found out why the Team Shop at the Info is not finished. Barnes and Noble is demanding a 5 year contract extension before they are willing to finish the build-out. There are those at UA who would like to see another department be in charge of the Team Shop, but unless someone in the Athletics Dept. puts some pressure on the appropriate partys, nothing will happen.

You know what I would love? An Akron soccer jersey! :horse:
If there are enough people who have said this that it's "dead horse" material, then whoever the hell is running the team shop now should definitely take some notice that people would line up to spend $75 on soccer jerseys. Maybe those jersey sales could even help them surpass that lofty $8,200 mark this year.

I just found out why the Team Shop at the Info is not finished. Barnes and Noble is demanding a 5 year contract extension before they are willing to finish the build-out. There are those at UA who would like to see another department be in charge of the Team Shop, but unless someone in the Athletics Dept. puts some pressure on the appropriate partys, nothing will happen.
If that is the case, then some serious work needs to be done NOW! Having that sit empty for another year is ridiculous. I think B&N runs Ohio State's and Cleveland State's Team Shops (obviously OSU does not lack for suppliers of apparel). I don't think it has much about "who" as it is about what the university is doing in relation to the apparel providers...most specifically Adidas (football and other sports) and Nike. Speaking of that, I don't know for sure..but we have to be in a VERY small # of FBS schools that have different providers for football and basketball. Not sure how helpful that is, though I do know that many schools have many different providers for apparel for the FANS.

• 2 months later...