Great Chase Blackburn Article

Captain Kangaroo

That was AWESOME!How easy is this (Q&A) for a BJ writer to do with 5 players from our current team? Run them every Friday for 5 straight weeks before the season starts. It's a great way for the reader to learn a lot about players on the team. The reader starts to care about the player, and follows the team. Rasor did something like this in video format and I enjoyed it.

Well no sh*t what sane person wouldn't rather play before packed houses of 100k every week and compete for national championships as opposed to some shit 70 year old stadium on the edge of town in front of about 5k? That was just an honest statement, can't fault him for that.

Well no sh*t what sane person wouldn't rather play before packed houses of 100k every week and compete for national championships as opposed to some shit 70 year old stadium on the edge of town in front of about 5k? That was just an honest statement, can't fault him for that.
isn't this bored always going on about getting out of OSU's shadow? talking about "cowlumbus, OSwho, columbus state, ect. I'm just surprised that I'm the only one the felt rubbed the wrong way by that comment but to each ones own

I agree. One thing everyone should understand is most kids don't grow up wanting to play for UofA or any other MAC school. Most kids end up in the MAC because it is where they belong and they were passed over at BCS schools because they didn't have the ability to play there. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.....UofA shouldn't worry about what happens at tOSU. I could really care less about them and I think what goes on at UofA has very little to do with what goes on at tOSU. The only reason people think about it as us vs. them is we live in that type of society where everything has become all or nothing. Talk radio is a lot of us vs. themes...it helps people feel at home listening to the radio because they believe they are part of something bigger. UofA should put a good product on the field and play when they want to play. Put a good product on the field and the ABJ will write about them. Put a good product on the field and people will go to games. It's really not about tOSU.

"Q: Were you an Ohio State fan growing up in Columbus?Blackburn: "Definitely - I still am. I'm a normal fan when I watch football. I wish I would have been able to go to Ohio State" :nutkick:
Yeah, but you should have included the whole quote:Blackburn: "Definitely - I still am. I'm a normal fan when I watch football. I wish I would have been able to go to Ohio State, but things worked out the way they did going to Akron, which I have no complaints about. It was a great school and a great fit for me. Who knows what would have happened if I went to Ohio State?"That puts it in a much different light - plus the guy grew up right outside of Columbus.This is the quote that really confused me:Q: How did you end up at Akron?Blackburn: "I got recruited by a lot of MAC schools. I got offered a couple of scholarships from MAC schools. I went to Akron for a visit and it was a good time. They showed me around the campus and they had won the MAC championship the year before ...

"Q: Were you an Ohio State fan growing up in Columbus?Blackburn: "Definitely - I still am. I'm a normal fan when I watch football. I wish I would have been able to go to Ohio State" :nutkick:
Yeah, but you should have included the whole quote:Blackburn: "Definitely - I still am. I'm a normal fan when I watch football. I wish I would have been able to go to Ohio State, but things worked out the way they did going to Akron, which I have no complaints about. It was a great school and a great fit for me. Who knows what would have happened if I went to Ohio State?"That puts it in a much different light - plus the guy grew up right outside of Columbus.This is the quote that really confused me:Q: How did you end up at Akron?Blackburn: "I got recruited by a lot of MAC schools. I got offered a couple of scholarships from MAC schools. I went to Akron for a visit and it was a good time. They showed me around the campus and they had won the MAC championship the year before ...
I agree. This stuck out like a sore thumb. I seem to recall one year where the Zips technically tied for the MAC East, but Marshall (I think) won the tie-breaker? Maybe this is what LO's recruiters we're touting?

I noticed that also. Perhaps Chase was on prescription medication at the time, or got hold of some bad mushroom soup, or somebody lied to him and he never took the time to check it out.

I agree. One thing everyone should understand is most kids don't grow up wanting to play for UofA or any other MAC school. Most kids end up in the MAC because it is where they belong and they were passed over at BCS schools because they didn't have the ability to play there. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.....UofA shouldn't worry about what happens at tOSU. I could really care less about them and I think what goes on at UofA has very little to do with what goes on at tOSU. The only reason people think about it as us vs. them is we live in that type of society where everything has become all or nothing. Talk radio is a lot of us vs. themes...it helps people feel at home listening to the radio because they believe they are part of something bigger. UofA should put a good product on the field and play when they want to play. Put a good product on the field and the ABJ will write about them. Put a good product on the field and people will go to games. It's really not about tOSU.
I diasgree. It's completely reasonable that CB grew up in c-bus wanting to go to OSU to play football. But he played at UA and he should be supporting the Zips now, not tosu. Screw Chase Blackburn!The diehards on this board bitch all the time that attendance is poor at UA games. Well, why should Joe Akron spend his hard earned money for a UA game when the players and former players don't give a damn about UA...You are correct, what goes on at UA does have very little to do with what goes on at tosu.However, what goes on at tosu has a huge impact on all other D1 Ohio schools, UA included.I know dozens of families in my community who are UA grads. And exactly none of them ever attend UA games. Yet I see all of them wearing their tosu gear...

I diasgree. It's completely reasonable that CB grew up in c-bus wanting to go to OSU to play football. But he played at UA and he should be supporting the Zips now, not tosu. Screw Chase Blackburn!The diehards on this board bitch all the time that attendance is poor at UA games. Well, why should Joe Akron spend his hard earned money for a UA game when the players and former players don't give a damn about UA...You are correct, what goes on at UA does have very little to do with what goes on at tosu.However, what goes on at tosu has a huge impact on all other D1 Ohio schools, UA included.I know dozens of families in my community who are UA grads. And exactly none of them ever attend UA games. Yet I see all of them wearing their tosu gear...
I see what you are saying. I just didn't read any negative toward UofA in his comments. He was asked a question about growing up in Columbus and being a tOSU fan. He gave an honest answer that had nothing to do with UofA. I'm sure there are a lot of kids who grew up near one school, cheered for it then went to another and still out of the corner of their eye follow the school they grew up near. I think that is natural.If UofA won, Joe Akron would go to games. If the MAC was more entertaining, Joe Akron would go to games. If they played on reasonable days, Joe Akron would go to games. If they played at reasonable times, Joe Akron would go to games. I think Blackburn's opinions have little to nothing to do with that. In fact, I'm not sure how many Joe Akrons out there, when they watch a Giants game, know Blackburn went to UofA.

I see what you are saying. I just didn't read any negative toward UofA in his comments. He was asked a question about growing up in Columbus and being a tOSU fan. He gave an honest answer that had nothing to do with UofA. I'm sure there are a lot of kids who grew up near one school, cheered for it then went to another and still out of the corner of their eye follow the school they grew up near. I think that is natural.If UofA won, Joe Akron would go to games. If the MAC was more entertaining, Joe Akron would go to games. If they played on reasonable days, Joe Akron would go to games. If they played at reasonable times, Joe Akron would go to games. I think Blackburn's opinions have little to nothing to do with that. In fact, I'm not sure how many Joe Akrons out there, when they watch a Giants game, know Blackburn went to UofA.
Who is this Joe Akron guy? I called the alumni office and they had never heard of him. I can't think that someone with that much clout would be flying so low under the radar.

heres the kind of answer I would have like to have heard from CB"I grew up an OSU fan and who can balem me with their great traditions and suppor. but my alma mater is The University of Akron. they supported me and for four years and gave me the training, exposure, expereance, knowledge to have the career and success that I have today when OSU passed me up and for that my loyalty now lies with Akron"I played with the OSU athletic band two times in the past week. (it was a paying gig and a guys gotta eat) they showed me a good time and were very gracious. I am thankfull for the hospitality that they showed me, BUT they are not my alma mater and they are not the school that I have several life lessons at. so my support continues to be at the good old UofA (for what is worth I did warm up by playing The Blue and Gold in their Arena :thumb: )

In fact, I'm not sure how many Joe Akrons out there, when they watch a Giants game, know Blackburn went to UofA.
Exactly my point. How or why would anyone know he went to Akron? All he talked about was tosu...Guys like CB need to get in front of the media and promote UA. It would go a long way to validating our program and then maybe he wouldn't be asked such a question...

In fact, I'm not sure how many Joe Akrons out there, when they watch a Giants game, know Blackburn went to UofA.
Exactly my point. How or why would anyone know he went to Akron? All he talked about was tosu...Guys like CB need to get in front of the media and promote UA. It would go a long way to validating our program and then maybe he wouldn't be asked such a question...
I think a lot of the problem also stems from our constantly changing Athletics Department staff.If you recall under Mike Thomas' administration we had a spring game where Frye, Blackburn, Taylor and a bunch of other former Zips attended. I guess they put a big effort into getting football alumni back into the UA "loop."I recall one administrator telling me - "I called Jason Taylor and asked if he'd like to make a donation. He said 'sure,' and then said...'no one's ever asked me before?"In the short time Thomas' group was here they did more than build the practice facility and get the stadium off the blocks. Look in the JAR. All those coaches murals in the corners were installed during that time. All the championship banners hanging from the rafters were raised during that time. Eric McLaughlin's jersey was retired during that time. Thomas' group did a great job of bringing former Zips back into the fold, and also promoting the history of Zips athletics that had been forgotten in some Memorial Hall closet for a couple decades.Then Thomas left, and it all stopped. UA needs to be in Blackburn's face. Give the guy t-shirts and caps. Invite him back for the golf outings and spring practices. Ditto Hixon. And Frye. And others. And if they can't make it in one season, you call them back in 6 months and try again. It's pretty simple.If you see Chase Blackburn wearing an OSU shirt underneath his jersey, I blame UA, not Chase.

I think a lot of the problem also stems from our constantly changing Athletics Department staff.If you recall under Mike Thomas' administration we had a spring game where Frye, Blackburn, Taylor and a bunch of other former Zips attended. I guess they put a big effort into getting football alumni back into the UA "loop."I recall one administrator telling me - "I called Jason Taylor and asked if he'd like to make a donation. He said 'sure,' and then said...'no one's ever asked me before?"In the short time Thomas' group was here they did more than build the practice facility and get the stadium off the blocks. Look in the JAR. All those coaches murals in the corners were installed during that time. All the championship banners hanging from the rafters were raised during that time. Eric McLaughlin's jersey was retired during that time. Thomas' group did a great job of bringing former Zips back into the fold, and also promoting the history of Zips athletics that had been forgotten in some Memorial Hall closet for a couple decades.Then Thomas left, and it all stopped. UA needs to be in Blackburn's face. Give the guy t-shirts and caps. Invite him back for the golf outings and spring practices. Ditto Hixon. And Frye. And others. And if they can't make it in one season, you call them back in 6 months and try again. It's pretty simple.If you see Chase Blackburn wearing an OSU shirt underneath his jersey, I blame UA, not Chase.
Who cares what he said? The guy grew up in the Columbus area. 99% of the time that person grows up rooting for OSU. Dont rag the guy for being honest. Is he suppose to avoid the question and say....I went to UA damn it, F OSU!!??? Hell no.I grew up a Browns fan. If I got drafted by the Steelers I would still be a Browns fan inside. You cant just get that out of you. You mistakenly assume his loyalties lie with OSU and not UA when that simply isnt true. I have said it before and I will say it again....the success of UA has NOTHING to do with OSU. If you believe that OSU make us a lesser program then you are sadly mistaken.

I agree 110% I grew up a huge Ohio State fan got snubbed by them but got offers from other schools went to Akron played for them I love Akron win or lose and support them no matter what. It always bothered me when guys would root on OSU and It bothers me when I see people wearing OSU stuff and cheering for them and worrying about them on Saturdays. I understand they are the state school and all of that but you had the oppurtunity to go to school there so if you love them so much go there and cheer you ass off. But if you choose to attend Akron which is also a D1 school they deserve your full support because that is the school that you chose to attend. I dont think you will find to many Mckinley fans cheering for Massilon during the year.

Who cares what he said? The guy grew up in the Columbus area. 99% of the time that person grows up rooting for OSU. Dont rag the guy for being honest. Is he suppose to avoid the question and say....I went to UA damn it, F OSU!!??? Hell no.I grew up a Browns fan. If I got drafted by the Steelers I would still be a Browns fan inside. You cant just get that out of you. You mistakenly assume his loyalties lie with OSU and not UA when that simply isnt true. I have said it before and I will say it again....the success of UA has NOTHING to do with OSU. If you believe that OSU make us a lesser program then you are sadly mistaken.
"OSU having nothing to do with Akron" you couldnt be more wrong the reason we cant sell out a beautiful new stadium on the second home game of the season is because more people were worried about going up to Cleveland to watch basically a scrimage between Toledo and OSU then cheering on the home town team. Students that go to this University would rather sit at home and watch a OSU game on tv then walk down the street and watch a game live in a beautiful new stadium.

Then Thomas left, and it all stopped. UA needs to be in Blackburn's face. Give the guy t-shirts and caps. Invite him back for the golf outings and spring practices. Ditto Hixon. And Frye. And others. And if they can't make it in one season, you call them back in 6 months and try again. It's pretty simple.If you see Chase Blackburn wearing an OSU shirt underneath his jersey, I blame UA, not Chase.
UofA has a lot of blame, no doubt.We had a great alumni phone campaign going under Gary Bogue and it all stopped. One year was not enough and Gary could have always done better than working with the children in college athletics. UofA gave up on the alumni in favor of the HUGE donors. Right or wrong , that is what happened.Again, I hate to put any blame on CB, he was asked a question and just responded. While I don't agree with the way he responded, it was the answer to a questions that was never followed up on. Chase isn't a rocket scientist, he is just a guy who plays football for a living.

F-U OSUgrad 01Go away...

F-U OSUgrad 01Go away...
You are a punk...plain and simple. I will say whatever I want whether you like it or not. I love how you are an internet tough guy. Why dont you go out tonight and find some OSU fans to beat up. Did an OSU fan take your girlfriend or something?I am just curious what I wrote in the above statement that got you all upset. Actually, I dont even care....your OSU penis envy is beyond cure.

"OSU having nothing to do with Akron" you couldnt be more wrong the reason we cant sell out a beautiful new stadium on the second home game of the season is because more people were worried about going up to Cleveland to watch basically a scrimage between Toledo and OSU then cheering on the home town team. Students that go to this University would rather sit at home and watch a OSU game on tv then walk down the street and watch a game live in a beautiful new stadium.
So let me get this straight.....it is OSU's fault that people would rather watch a "scrimmage" as you call it against one of our conferences perennial powers? I think that in and of itself says something. The level of talent and football is not the same. We need to be better as a program and it has nothing to do with OSU. Cincy had ZERO fan support, but the right coaches turned them into a top 10 team and back to back BCS game program. Was it OSU's fault when they stunk? I think not! Their stadium was empty too. How is their fan interest and attendance now? People need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program. Recruits and fans will follow when we when start winning!

Oh yeah, and beat someone that people know. Pounding a freaking loser 1-AA does not make people excited to come out and watch us play a powerhouse like North Texas or Eastern Michigan.

So let me get this straight.....it is OSU's fault that people would rather watch a "scrimmage" as you call it against one of our conferences perennial powers? I think that in and of itself says something. The level of talent and football is not the same. We need to be better as a program and it has nothing to do with OSU. Cincy had ZERO fan support, but the right coaches turned them into a top 10 team and back to back BCS game program. Was it OSU's fault when they stunk? I think not! Their stadium was empty too. How is their fan interest and attendance now? People need to stop the OSU hate and worry about Akron's program. Recruits and fans will follow when we when start winning!
Let me guess your not from Columbus nor did you go to OSU yet you support a team you have nothing to do with? People should be a fan of their team regardless I bet you cheer your little bandwagon heart off for the Buckeyes win or lose. And Cinci is in the Big East they were #3 in the nation at one point, and still the majority of recruits in this state would rather go to OSU than Cinci. That is why fans of other schools in Ohio hate on OSU and hope they lose. We could go 14-0 for the next 3 season and would still struggle to fill the stadium when OSU is playing the only way we would get fan support is if we were winning every year and OSU was losing. Dont get me wrong I love every Akron fan as much as the other regardless of who else they cheer for (except for cant) but I would love to see the day when I walk into an Akron game and see more Akron gear on then OSU.

Oh yeah, and beat someone that people know. Pounding a freaking loser 1-AA does not make people excited to come out and watch us play a powerhouse like North Texas or Eastern Michigan.Oh but OSU pounding Youngs Town State Toledo New Mexico makes people excited to go see OSU play power houses like Indiana, Michigan, Purdue? You should be excited to see your team play and win no matter who they play if you truly are a fan im sure you wernt complaining when OSU was pounding on Youngs Town State 2 years ago.