Which new sport would you want?

g-mann17

Possible Sports  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was bored, and thought I would do a poll. It could help since the student body is constantly growing, to see what people would be interested in supporting.

Title IX would require the addition of a minimum of 2 sports (men's and women's) I just threw out a list of both.

Certain sports (hockey) would require expensive new facilties. But again, it's just all wishful day dreaming.

I voted men's hockey. I'm not a big hockey fan, but it is currently the 4th major sport in our country.

The sport I believe we'd have the most success with, however, is wrestling. The wrestling talent in the area is outstanding. I believe UA could build a powerhouse program. But... It's not as much a spectator sport as hockey.

The sport I'm personally most interested in is men's lacrosse. I know that both Walsh and Malone are putting together lacrosse club teams. Does UA have a lacrosse club team? FUN sport to both play and watch!

I voted men's hockey. I'm not a big hockey fan, but it is currently the 4th major sport in our country.

The sport I believe we'd have the most success with, however, is wrestling. The wrestling talent in the area is outstanding. I believe UA could build a powerhouse program. But... It's not as much a spectator sport as hockey.

The sport I'm personally most interested in is men's lacrosse. I know that both Walsh and Malone are putting together lacrosse club teams. Does UA have a lacrosse club team? FUN sport to both play and watch!

Can't is such a powerhouse...

I voted for the wrestling team, since I was on the last one before it was cut at Akron. It doesn't cost much, Northeast Ohio has a lot of quality wrestling, and it would give more options for area wrestlers. By the way, Can'ts program is actually pretty good. I will have to say that Lacrosse is a better spectator sport but we have plenty of sports that are not particularly spectator friendly (golf, cross country, etc.).

I think Akron Fans would go nuts for hockey. When we build the new arena they need to make sure that it can be used for hockey too. Think about it there aren't any major hockey teams in the state of Ohio, aside from the Bluejackets and Lake Erie Monsters. Which I'm pretty sure no one cares about either of those teams. That gives us a pretty good market...and I come from Erie, PA the home of a small Mercyhurst College. They started their hockey teams in the 90's and have seen a great deal of success. Their women's team is ranked in the top 5 just about every year and men have been to the tourney several times...only a few games away from the frozen four. That being said if small schools of under 5,000 can support hockey teams, I don't see why we can't.

I think Akron Fans would go nuts for hockey. When we build the new arena they need to make sure that it can be used for hockey too. Think about it there aren't any major hockey teams in the state of Ohio, aside from the Bluejackets and Lake Erie Monsters. Which I'm pretty sure no one cares about either of those teams. That gives us a pretty good market...and I come from Erie, PA the home of a small Mercyhurst College. They started their hockey teams in the 90's and have seen a great deal of success. Their women's team is ranked in the top 5 just about every year and men have been to the tourney several times...only a few games away from the frozen four. That being said if small schools of under 5,000 can support hockey teams, I don't see why we can't.

Miami's hockey team was ranked #1 for a good portion of the season (I believe they are #2 now) so they are pretty good and BGSU's hockey team and OSU's hockey are both generally in the good category too. If you are talking about solely NE Ohio hockey, then you may have something.

Title IX dictates that it would not make sense to add a large men's prrogram/team such as hockey. I love the sport, but it is not going to happen.

We won't add wresting or gymnastics because Can't is already established and dominant in theset sports and we'd be setting ourselves up to be an inferior program to our rivals...the same reason Can't does not have men's soccer....so, not going to happen.

Lacrosse and field hockey require new facilities or to share a field with our #1 soccer team that already shares with the woman's program and is torn up by the end of fall...not going to happen.

CSU already has fencing and there is not enough national (let alone local) participation or interest to establish a program. Rowing?...We don't have a local body of water worthy of supporting a program.

The only thing that makes sense to add would be men's tennis because of the parity with the woman's team and the relatively small roster and cost. At UA, now, because of Title IX, football = swimming & diving + volleyball + tennis.

I don't look for it to happen though. We already have 19 programs. Look at a much larger and more prominent school like Pitt...they only have 17 total programs. You could argue we are already overextended as it is.

I would love to see UA add men's tennis. However, until we regularly win Reese and Jacoby trophies and move onto the national stage in sports other than rifle and soccer, we should focus on improving the programs that are here and now.

Title IX dictates that it would not make sense to add a large men's prrogram/team such as hockey. I love the sport, but it is not going to happen.

We won't add wresting because Can't is already dominant in that sport and we'd be setting ourselves up to be an inferior program to our rivals...the same reason Can't does not have men's soccer....so, not going to happen.

Lacrosse requires new facilities or to share a field with our #1 soccer team that already shares with the woman's program and is torn up by the end of fall...not going to happen.

The only thing that makes sense to add would be men's tennis because of the parity with the woman's team and the relatively small roster and cost. At UA, now, because of Title IX, football = swimming & diving + volleyball + tennis.

I don't look for it to happen though. We already have 19 programs. Look at a much larger and more prominent school like Pitt...they only have 17 total programs. You could argue we are already overextended as it is.

Provide us with some details concerning how football = swimming and diving + volleyball + tennis.

Is it:

A. number of scholarships

B. number of bodies

C. size of budget

D. an equation you just pulled out of your rear

You can't go wrong with bowling. It's coed and you can rent the shoes.

We won't add wresting because Can't is already dominant in that sport and we'd be setting ourselves up to be an inferior program to our rivals...the same reason Can't does not have men's soccer....so, not going to happen.

Lacrosse requires new facilities or to share a field with our #1 soccer team that already shares with the woman's program and is torn up by the end of fall...not going to happen.

Provide us with some details concerning how football = swimming and diving + volleyball + tennis.

Is it:

B. number of bodies

C. size of budget

This was an estimation based on scholarships, number of student-athletes participating, and consideration for the parity in all other sports.

We won't add wresting or gymnastics because Can't is already established and dominant in theset sports and we'd be setting ourselves up to be an inferior program to our rivals...the same reason Can't does not have men's soccer....so, not going to happen.

Lacrosse and field hockey require new facilities or to share a field with our #1 soccer team that already shares with the woman's program and is torn up by the end of fall...not going to happen.

CSU already has fencing and there is not enough national (let alone local) participation or interest to establish a program. Rowing?...We don't have a local body of water worthy of supporting a program.

I would love to see UA add men's tennis. However, until we regularly win Reese and Jacoby trophies and move onto the national stage in sports other than rifle and soccer, we should focus on improving the programs that are here and now.

You poo poo a lot of the sports based off your pre-conceived notions and not legitimate reasoning.

CSU has fencing, well they also have basketball and soccer, OSU had all those sports before either of us. Plus fencing isn't about fan support it's about catering to a type of student (foreign). It would be as low cost as Rifle and is Coed.

Rowing doesn't have a body of water? Nimisilla is a 3000 meter body of water, rowing requires 2000 meters.

Lacrosse has to use the soccer field? No not really, you have the Track field, and the practice field that can be converted, and not to mention Buchtel Field.

Title IX only requires that for every scholarship offered a male an equal scholarship is offered to a female. Assuming the largest size team (Lacrosse, which is roughly 30) you could eat that up by adding women's Lacrosse or gymnastics and field hockey. Hockey is at max 18 scholarships.

And nobody said let's add sports, I believe I prefaced the whole thing with "assuming we could eventually add sports".

Is it:

B. number of bodies

C. size of budget

This was an estimation based on scholarships, number of student-athletes participating, and consideration for the parity in all other sports.

AHA....the answer is D. Seems like you included a a lot of stuff. Hope it didn't hurt pulling it out of there.

You poo poo a lot of the sports based off your pre-conceived notions and not legitimate reasoning.

CSU has fencing, well they also have basketball and soccer, OSU had all those sports before either of us. Plus fencing isn't about fan support it's about catering to a type of student (foreign). It would be as low cost as Rifle and is Coed.

Rowing doesn't have a body of water? Nimisilla is a 3000 meter body of water, rowing requires 2000 meters.

Lacrosse has to use the soccer field? No not really, you have the Track field, and the practice field that can be converted, and not to mention Buchtel Field.

Title IX only requires that for every scholarship offered a male an equal scholarship is offered to a female. Assuming the largest size team (Lacrosse, which is roughly 30) you could eat that up by adding women's Lacrosse or gymnastics and field hockey. Hockey is at max 18 scholarships.

And nobody said let's add sports, I believe I prefaced the whole thing with "assuming we could eventually add sports".

I didn't mean to "poo poo" on anything. I was just trying to be realistic about the situation.

Your points about rowing and fencing are valid, but they still require additional infrastructure (regardless of how minor). The woman's tennis team currently hosts matches off campus and the rifle team is worthy of upgraded facilities as well. The soccer programs play at an inferior facility and who could forget the basketball arena issue? Let's focus on those first.

Also, consider the last program that was added: woman's golf. Justified by being small and paired with the already established men's program.

OK, bowling doesn't seem to be getting much traction. So let's go with another coed sport that has REAL MONEY MAKING POTENTIAL - NASCAR. Considering costs, we may be able to reduce them by converting the Rubber Bowl into our home track. One drawback - if we go the NASCAR route instead of bowling, we will have to buy rather than rent our shoes.

OK, bowling doesn't seem to be getting much traction. So let's go with another coed sport that has REAL MONEY MAKING POTENTIAL - NASCAR. Considering costs, we may be able to reduce them by converting the Rubber Bowl into our home track. One drawback - unlike bowling if we go the NASCAR route instead of bowling, we will have to buy rather than rent our shoes.

I like this idea. Let's start the country's first collegiate auto racing team. This fits within Title IX, and UA might as well buy the entire Fulton Airport and convert the runway into a track like at Burke with IRL. :NCAAC: by default.

Miami's hockey team was ranked #1 for a good portion of the season (I believe they are #2 now) so they are pretty good and BGSU's hockey team and OSU's hockey are both generally in the good category too. If you are talking about solely NE Ohio hockey, then you may have something.

I know Miami has a good team...I was just suggesting that Northeast Ohio would be good for hockey, I mean no one would expect soccer to be popular and look how that is. But it all comes down to winning. No one will care if we have a Hockey team thats as disappointing as some of our "other" teams.